1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Freeze/Crash/Reboot

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by Raider62, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Brashagent

Brashagent Chieftain

Yea but this was from something i tried to do to fix it.Was a suggestion from another thread.It was crashing when i had the Dx9.0c .

2. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

There is good news and bad news. First the bad, there seems to be no workaround that fixes this problem completely. Now the good... I got an email back from BFG techs today here is what it says...

XXXX XXXXXXX,

This seems to be an issue with the 6800 GT OC that nvidia and the game
    manufacturer are aware of and are working to resolve. Make sure that you are
    running the latest game patches from the manufacturer's webpage. Hopefully they
    will resolve it soon.

Thank you,
    Chris G
    BFG Support

3. Zydor

Zydor Emperor

Sounds like Thamer did get a test going and they are working on it with NVidia - good news ... :)

Regards
    Zy

4. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

Agreed, just sucks it takes so long. Probably be the last game I buy until its out for 6 months. Just eats up to much of my time having to Tweak my computer for a new game everytime. I cant think of the last one that came out anywhere near bug-free. I know they cant test on every machine but come on I got AMD and Nvidia and Asus (mobo). Thats not exactly a unique combination. Anyway still very happy Thamer looked into it. Excellent Thamer thanks for looking into it. Thanks!!!

5. pgeddes

pgeddes Chieftain

All,

I'm having very similar issues running Civ 4 using a very new Hi-Grade DMSII Media PC. P4 3.4G & Nvidia GeForce 6600 128Mb g/card. It looks fantastic on a 42" plasma, but I'm getting tired of a complete black screen crash/ freeze every 10-30 mins requiring a reboot.

btw, since patch 1.52, the game absolutely flies on my very humble 2yr old Dell laptop - almost minimum recommended spec. The patch auto adjusts all settings for optimal performance on the machine and it WORKS great - work out the science there???

Any advice greatly received...

Paul

6. Zydor

Zydor Emperor

pgeddes

please post your dxdiag so we can look at your setup

Regards
    Zy

7. Holj102

Holj102 Chieftain

That is AWESOME news Raider. Thank GOD they're finally aware of it and are trying to fix it. Perhaps on the release they can tell exactly what the problem is and what cards might totally resolve it altogether. I just hope the updated driver and patch to the game come out soon...

8. Edratman

Edratman Chieftain

I finally solved my crash/freeze/reboot issues!!! Happy days. I have played huge maps with 16 civs without a single crash, while my previous best was with the Hark patch and I would crash only once every two hours.

The fix for me was RAM defrag. I had downloaded a free version (RAM DEF Xtreme) prior to the last patch but it didn't solve any problems for me. But last week, through my own forgetfullness I stumbled across the solution. Previously I would run the defrag one time after a crash and play until I crashed, which was often. Anyway one time I hit the start button a second time and noticed a large increase in memory. So I then started to continue to repeat the defrags until the memory peaked. I now defrag about 8 to 10 times every time I start playing (until I get to my peak memory value- 900MB) and all my problems have evaporated.

I have no idea why repeated defragging results in an incremental increase in RAM or why the game has responded so well, but it is worth a try if you still have problems, as so many still apparently do.

9. Tricoz

Tricoz Chieftain

I have the exact same problem, if anyone could help please Help!
    Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

I doubt its memory problems here...I have 2 gigs and a 256 mb 6800 GT...Defragging ram sounds like a scam. lol

11. Calder

Calder Warlord

Confident I had solved the random crashes by inserting two new case fans, I started playing on the earth map scenario (though kept all my graphic settings to low - v1.52). With three attempts I haven't been able to get past 4000BC without it freezing up. Card temp. after reboots was 51C.
    AMD Athlon 4000, 2G RAM, GEForce 7800GTX.

Edit: Just to let you know after doing a defrag all is well. Played a full day with no crashes. That's not to say tommorrow may be different.

12. Stanley9837

Stanley9837 Chieftain

I also have a BFG 6800GT oc.

I get the lockup with the colored snow and my cursor still can be distinguished as movable with my mouse. It's quite annoying. Is there a way to set your autosave to happen every turn so I don't lose as much time while we wait for Firaxis to fix their game? I never had this problem til 1.52...

View attachment DxDiag.txt

13. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

Stanley you can change the settings for autosave at

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

Then find the Civilization4 config file. Should be the only text file in that folder, open with notepad and then find the autosave option and change it to 1 and Save.

Some things I have do that seem to have help stablize the game. Update to december Directx runtime, Update all drivers including Mobo Nforce 2 drivers from nvidia. tried a few other suggestions in this thread but found these two seemed to stabilze the game at least for a few hours. Check this entire thread for other things you can try but like all us BFG owners we seem to be stuck waiting on this new patch. What blows my mind is that it wasnt a problem until 1.52 which means one of the "fixes" caused the problem. Please hurry up Fire-axis!!!

14. iSkratch

iSkratch Chieftain

Lol if you guys all think this is just a problem with the 6800 gt you're in for a sad surprise. :lol:

15. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

Hey Skratch read the whole thread dummy. Our problem is specifically related to the BFG 6800 GT Overclocked. It has been confirmed by BFG that there is a problem with the game and the card.

As for the surprise, I already am sad that my game crashes randomnly. Since you seem to be so knowledgeable about OUR problems why don't you tell us how to fix them.... moron

16. Neon Deon

Neon Deon Prince

LOL!:D

Dont worry bout Scratch. He spends all his time here crying:cry: :cry:

Instead of trying to find a solution to his problem, he spreads crap.:sad:

Scratch if I were you I would sell your computer and buy an X box.:D

17. iSkratch

iSkratch Chieftain

I already have a modded xbox.

You wash the taste of Firaxis <snip> out your mouth yet? :lol:

Moderator Action: Content deleted. Warned.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

18. pauld

pauld Chieftain

I also have a BFG 6800GT OC and am getting exactly the same crash, squares on screen etc.

Good news that they're aware of the problem but have we got any timescale on a fix?

19. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

I would "guess" either the next game patch or the next set of drivers from Nvidia. No word on how long and no gaurantee for sure that it will be fixed in the next patch/driver so guess we are at the programmers mercy... Really stinks...Hope we are close to a fix, we should be Thamer has been aware of this problem for almost a month now.

20. nicotine

nicotine Chieftain

Just want to point out some of my own observations. I, too, experience the pain of the checkerboard crash. My current rig is an AMD64 3000+ /w 2GB of DDR, and a 6800GT (Not BFG. I think PNY, but I'm too lazy to open the case and look).

I have noticed that the period between start and crash is not random - usually, the first time I start the game each day (when I get home from work), I can play for 1-2 hours no problem before crashing out, requiring a reboot.

After the reboot, if I immediately start playing again, it will crash in <15 minutes, guaranteed. So nowadays, I come home, load up the latest autosave, play until it crashes, and resolve to come back the next day.

On a (related?) note, I have seen these issues before, firsthand, with other games. I had the same issue with some DirectX games (THUG2 and Sims 2) when I had a GFTi4200. Never solved the issue there either - ended up upgrading to my current 6800GT, which resolved the problem (but which plagues me now. :( )

Details of that escapade can be found at AMD's forums - do a search for the user "MarlboroMan"

Hopefully Firaxis and NVIDIA can get this issue sorted - this is an awesome game, and would only be awesomer (sic) if I could play it for more than an hour and a half at a time.