Frequently Asked Questions - (FAQ)

Using the arrow buttons in the city view during the production phase, it is often possible to work the same valuable terrain by two or more different cities in the same turn. This adds micromanagement and was probably not intended by the game designers, so I would think it is against the spirit of the GOTM rules. Is it?

There have been three earlier rulings on what is allowed during the end-of-turn report.

[1] It has been forbidden to change the production from wealth to something, which would give you free gold
[2] It has been allowed to go to the diplomacy screen and gift/trade techs with scientific AI's to make sure they get a different free tech than you got (hope I explained this one right).
[3] It has been allowed to quickly change the city production to something that is made available by the new tech you got in the report.

I agree that it is against the spirit of the GOTM (or the game in general), but I thought the same about [2] and [3], so I have no clue.
Like in the other cases above I for one will never use such an exploit.

Originally posted by alexman
Using the arrow buttons in the city view during the production phase, it is often possible to work the same valuable terrain by two or more different cities in the same turn. This adds micromanagement and was probably not intended by the game designers, so I would think it is against the spirit of the GOTM rules. Is it?
Does this, in fact, allow the same tile to give production to two different cities on the same turn?

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

regards

Ted

Originally posted by CruddyLeper
I am a bit confused about the timelines for QSC - sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I see timelines are submitted in HTML, XLS and plain TXT.

Which is easiest for you to deal with? I can't submit for the Ottoman game because I can't find all my moves (and my spoiler has vanished into oblivion).

I recommend the HTML format for the following reasons:

• 1. Since everyone has access to the web browser nowadays, just one click and they can view it instantly. Of course, everyone can also view plain TXT file too, but the format of HTML looks more prettier.:) On the other hand, not everyone have Microsoft Excel installed on their computer.

2. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone by learning HTML and improving my writting skill at the same time. The GOTM may come and go, but the experience that I have learned from working with HTML will stay with me forever. This is really the main reason why I went the extra mile to put it in HTML format.:)

Of course if you prefer to write it in excel but want people to view it with a web browser, you can have excel save the sheet in html format. (But you won't get to learn how to hardcode HTML like Moonsinger.:) )

Actually I don't have Excel - but I have discovered a Corel equivalent in my collectio, which is why I listed it as a choice.

Your comments are valid Moonsinger, with the exception that my timelines make awful reading for experienced players... I can't see HTMl making much difference to this! :)

Good luck with your HTML studies - I've got my hands full with Smalltalk at the minute and can't spare the time for other eduational projects without missing the GOTM.

Using the arrow buttons in the city view during the production phase, it is often possible to work the same valuable terrain by two or more different cities in the same turn. ...

This has been a issue lurking around for some time. The problem is that you have to finish building something to get the pop-up dialog that will take you to the city view.

If you could divine the order in which cities are processed then you can alter the settings for a later city from an earlier pop-up. Presumably the cities are handled in the order in which they are added to the empire.

Of course you also need to know the order in which the various accounts are computed. I presume that wealth is done before any city production, so a city could contribute weath and then get switched to something else.

So the unscrupulous fanatic would set the first city to always build something cheap so the pop-up occurs frequently and this manipulation can be done.

I'm sure this has come up in other threads, and has been directly or indirectly excluded from GOTM.

pm cracker about it, he'll give you the ruling on it, I'm sure....

Note that there used to be a rules page which can still be viewed this link. It disallows the wealth switch but makes no mention of the other two. Last updated New Years Eve 2002.

I think Ribannah was correct when when she stated:
[1] It has been forbidden to change the production from wealth to something, which would give you free gold
[2] It has been allowed to go to the diplomacy screen and gift/trade techs with scientific AI's to make sure they get a different free tech than you got (hope I explained this one right).
[3] It has been allowed to quickly change the city production to something that is made available by the new tech you got in the report.
But I agree that these should all technically be exploits.

Originally posted by Darkness

pm cracker about it, he'll give you the ruling on it, I'm sure....

I PM:ed Cracker about this some time ago (maybe about 3 weeks), but never got any answer. I guess he thought the "wealth cheat" covered it, even though the "double" production isn't especially mentioned.

I think this is definitely an exploit, and although it is not explicit in the existing rules, the rule about the wealth exploit is precedent enough. (If this even needed a precedent - it seems to me to be pretty clearly an exploit even without one.) The principal of that existing rule is that a town's production can't be used twice in the same turn. Surely a tile can't be used twice either? It seems a clear violation of the game's intent to do so. And therefore a bug that it can be done and therefore an exploit to use it.

BTW, in my opinion the other two cases which currently are allowed (the ones based on using a tech in the same turn as it is discovered) feel like exploits as well. My personal preference would be a single generic rule which says something like "It is forbidden to use any inter-turn popup window to change any aspect of your empire except the one which the popup asks about."

It seems to me that the game's intent is that all inter-turn events happen simultaneously. I.e., if it were a perfect implementation of its intent then all questions (about next production and research) would be queued up and we would not even be asked about them until all inter-turn processing was complete. It seems cleaner to play the game that way.

I usually use the tech window popup on the last turn of a spaceship or diplo game (whenever I'm in enough control of the situation to be able to!) in order to switch over the prebuild's production one turn earlier. I think this is fairly common. It wouldn't bother me at all to have this disallowed, as long as it is made clear.

Renata

How about when disorder arrives because a trading partner lost their harbor in a war. Can you use the arrow keys to adjust happiness everywhere so that the other cities don't riot? I do this often.

Originally posted by Phillip_martin

It is AFTER the turn you won or the save BEFORE the turn you lost.

oops.. looks like I've sumitted the wrong save.. I submitted the save after I lost.... should I resubmit?

Waht do you think about this:

You have a large empire, but you have a lot of unhappy faces. When you discover a new technology you open the domestic advisor and rise your luxury bar to 100%. Your score will grow more in that turn than it normally would.

Perhaps the Rules questions should have its own thread. This can sort of turn into the definitive rule definition that Ribannah. Also it will free the FAQ thread from the next 12 pages of rules questions about to flood it.;)

Originally posted by mabellino

oops.. looks like I've sumitted the wrong save.. I submitted the save after I lost.... should I resubmit?

IIRC to the last deity GOTM I played, once you have bit the dust the game is over. So whatever the Autosave kept by game (which will be the sart of your final turn) or if you see it coming the save you got to take before reluctantly hitting the "Next Turn" button [punch]

As for the discussion on the use of the inter turn next city option the answer has been provided:
No to utalising your citizens one way then reusing them in-between turns to gain extra wealth production, whatever.
Yes to pre building one thing which is swapped between turns after a new tech discovery allows an new build option
Yes to utalising trade in between turn options to gain a better free start of era tech

As for the validity or not of these strategies in the GOTM - that is for another thread. If it is opened then I will add my opion :D

Originally posted by Phillip_martin
It is AFTER the turn you won or the save BEFORE the turn you lost.
Originally posted by mabellino
oops.. looks like I've sumitted the wrong save.. I submitted the save after I lost.... should I resubmit? [

My understanding of the sentence in the gotm page does not support this view. ;) ;) ;)

To make it even more clear: The page reads "Saved games (at the turn before the game ends and optional around 10 AD)".

OK. At some stage via posting in a thread it was changed to the turn after victory to aid in the game checking process.

The GOTM page does not reflect this. Don't Panic!! Your very adaptable GOTM Staff can cope with a pre-finish submission as in the 'old days'.

We must remember to change that page before we get sued ;)

so does that mean I should go back to the autosave and submit my penultimate turn??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Top Bottom