Frequently Asked Questions - (FAQ)

I'm pretty sure that this isn't a frequently asked question, but I'm going to ask it here anyway.

My son has gotten into Civ3. He would like to submit his attempts at the game of the month, however he is too young to have an account at CFC. Is there any way for him to officially participate without lying about his age?

cool question, as my son might get there soonish. ;)
t_x

I can't seem to find any information pertaining to age limits for accounts...?
I could have sworn that CFC used to have a minimum age for membership (of 13? 11?). But I just scanned through The Roolz, and I can't find anything there (now). Maybe it was changed e.g. during the Xenforo migration?

(Or maybe I'm just getting mixed up :old: with GooglePlay, which does impose a minimum age)

I can't seem to find any information pertaining to age limits for accounts...?
I couldn't find any rules about age limits either, and I did go looking, but when we tried to make an account it wouldn't go through. The error message said he was too young to have an account. (I also seem to remember CFC having a minimum age of 13 when I signed up, but that was a long time ago.)

I've asked in the Admin forum, and it was pointed out that since CFC is US-based, we are required to comply with COPPA regulations if we are aware of children under 13 using the site. So I think we should probably have a minimum age of 13,

So playing and submitting would be OK, as long as the person doesn't use the forum, do I get it right? Perhaps mummy can have the account in her name?

The submission system just checks if the name you give when you submit is a registered member of the forums, and that you have not already submitted a save for that game.

So if my spouse, who does not play Civilization, made an account, we could submit my son's games using that account name? All of the games would be played by the same person, and no personal information could be collected about a child under 13 since no personal information is in the game. He, of course, would not use the account, because it would not be his account, except for submitting GOTM and COTM under that name.

Suits me! We need never know your son is playing. The only sad thing would be that he wouldn't be able to contribute to the pre-game and spoiler discussions.

We can live with that. He's nine, so I'm not sure how much discussion he would contribute anyway. I find it hard to contribute to the discussion sometimes, and I have much bigger incentives to do so.

Interesting question. My son is 10 now and just got his permission to play a bit of Minecraft. But maybe he'll also get interested in Civ some time soon...
(But when I suggested to my wife to open an account here -- she could be "Guinevere"... -- I had to take cover... :trouble:)

My son is 10 now and just got his permission to play a bit of Minecraft. But maybe he'll also get interested in Civ some time soon...
My boys (just turned 11, and "nearly-9!") have already both played and won -- with a little coaching, admittedly! -- their first games of Civ3 (Chieftain Tiny Pan-maps, but it's a start!)...

The older one saved up all of last years' Christmas/birthday money to buy himself a (cheap) smartphone, officially so that he could join the WhatsApp groups for his school and his class ("It's for school, honest!" :hmm: ), but I think mostly so that he didn't have hijack his mother's phone every time he wanted to play Minecraft with his friends, after he managed to shatter the screen of his tablet last year (allegedly by sitting on it, according to his little bro'). The younger one is also a big Minecraft fan, but still subject to the Rule of Mum.

(Maybe they'd be interested to exchange usernames with yours...?).
(But when I suggested to my wife to open an account here -- she could be "Guinevere"... -- I had to take cover... :trouble:)
Bwahahahahaha! *snort* :whipped: ;)

Top Bottom