Frequently Asked Questions - (FAQ)

The makers of the game may well have been too cheap to put together a thoroughly detailed rulebook, but I suspect that they consciously chose to explain relatively little, thereby enhancing a sense of mystery and discovery.

Yea, the game was more fun (although frustrating at some points) when I first got the game and I didn't know how everything works. It is more fun when you don't know what Shaka is going to do next, who is going to join in an alliance, what techs they will research next, what makes the AI 'tick', or the surprising culture flip. Some players enjoy the mystery aspect of a game, and the game becomes boring when you know every single detail of how the AI operates and every game mechanic.

It is fun for awhile to do studies and find out how all the game mechanics work, but eventually knowing all of this makes for a much better player, but loses some of the fun. Having so much stuff that wasn't revealed fully to us at first, is one reason this game has lasted for as long as it has.

Now, the only exciting part of the game is what terrain I/the AI start on, as that is the only real influence on how the AI will develop to present a challenge.

When they wrote the manual, they had the 'fun' factor in mind, not competitions where people would be worried about 1 turn, milking to 2050 AD, or timing multiple victories on the same turn.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
When they wrote the manual, they had the 'fun' factor in mind, not competitions where people would be worried about 1 turn, milking to 2050 AD, or timing multiple victories on the same turn.

Well said.

But not really relevant. I don't think they hid the page describing the last victory condition on purpose, so we would have fun finding that they made yet another mistake with counting years.

Not to nit-pick, but the production of manuals is taken care of by publishers, not developers. :)

Originally posted by Isak
Not to nit-pick, but the production of manuals is taken care of by publishers, not developers. :)

Infogrames est une société française; que suggérez-vous?;)

May be parce qu'ils ont voulu promouvoir la paix, c'était dur pour eux écrire la documentation pour un jeu de guerre.

Technically, it was probably written by Firaxis, but edited and produced by Infogrames. So if a page had fallen out, it would be Infogrames' fault ;)

In any case, my version of the manual (from the Collectors Edition Box) only uses 3-4 lines describing each victory condition, so I don't think Txcurce & Bamspeedy's theory is far off.

And you should congratulate yourself, Ribannah, for doing so well without knowing this - I can hardly wait to see what you can achieve with this new found knowledge :D

(and 'pardon my french' :) )

So, when precisely will the save game for GOTM20 be available? Midnight Eastern time on the morning of June 1? 9AM? Thanks for your help if you know the answer.

Originally posted by shooter6947
So, when precisely will the save game for GOTM20 be available? Midnight Eastern time on the morning of June 1? 9AM? Thanks for your help if you know the answer.

Cracker usually post the save game in about 60 seconds after Midnight of the last day of the Month in according to Colorado (Mountain) time.

Originally posted by Moonsinger

Cracker usually post the save game in about 60 seconds after Midnight of the last day of the Month in according to Colorado (Mountain) time.

A bit sad for those of us closer to the cutting edge of time (it's GMT+10h here at Peanut HQ). This month I don't see the file until the evening of Sunday 1st - meaning waiting nearly a week until I've got time to start on it. Aaargh .... a whole week thinking "... will I settle on the hill ... why not just start where I am ... how much to explore first ... what to research ... who will be next door ... what about that glimpse of blue to the north-west ... and that other hill ... hmmmm ..."

It is much more likely that I will go to work a few days this week bleary-eyed and a little short of sleep 'cause I just ... couldn't ... wait !

Ah well - c'est la vie or perhaps it's ésa es vida this month ...

Oops sorry Cracker and Philip ... a bit off the track of this thread here ...

Hey guys I am new to the game and site. I have been browsing around for about a week and I decided to check out the game of the month. I got everything installed and ran the graphics check and units check (this is for 19) and it went fine. But I kept wondering why this forest was giving me 2 food so I right clicked it. Apparently there is game that I can't see in that tile. I checked around some more and found some wheat I couldn't see either. {reduced the spoiler impact just a tad} I double checked the adding resources part but I can't find what I did wrong. Someone help me out!

I'm guessing that you copied the GOTM20 Resources.pcx files into your Installation directory. This special resources file is a scenario file that was modified for GOTM20. GOTM19 was still only using the regular resources PCX so the pictures will not match up with the resources.

Originally posted by ajil
... I got everything installed and ran the graphics check and units check (this is for 19) and it went fine. But I kept wondering why this forest was giving me 2 food so I right clicked it. Apparently there is game that I can't see in that tile.
This does sound as if it is related to swapping the graphics in and out as described in the instructions.

Only Gotm20 will actually use the Gotm20 resources.pcx graphics files.

It is important to ALWAYS make sure you declare what software version of Civ3 you are using to try and play the game because the Answer to your question will almost always be different depending on if you are playing in Civ3v1.29 versus one of the PTW versions.

It sounds like you might be in Civ3v1.29 and just need to practice swapping the resource graphics files in an out. In PTW, the resources should swap in and out automagically if the files are instaleld properly.

Just a quick Rules check.

What is the current status of MapStat?

Is it still allowed for use in GOTM, or has it been outlawed?

allright i will try and put the original resource files in for my 19 game. Yeah i got 1.29 btw.

Originally posted by jeffelammar
Just a quick Rules check.

What is the current status of MapStat?

Is it still allowed for use in GOTM, or has it been outlawed?
Mapstat is curently allowed. To be in the spirit of the game you should use it in the late part of your game to optimize territory/ domination limit (i.e. use it to substitute bean counting)

Top Bottom