Frequently Asked Questions - (FAQ)

Originally posted by AlanH
The default location is, I believe, \Program files\Firaxis Interactive\Civilization III\Art\units\.
For me it's C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Art\units\
I'm not sure if the Infogrames bit is a European thing though.

Apologies, Dianthus is quite right, I was typing from memory as I don't have a PeeCee version installed here. Hence my "I believe ...". Close, but no cigar, eh? :blush:

Ah, I had downloaded the wrong version of Gotm 24... so many different files, a bit confusing =) Thanks for the help.

Hi,
Still trying to figure out how GOTM site works,

Are the Timelines of old GOTM winners published anywhere?
Or do we just have to go through the Spoiler threads and hope they posted something of interest.

They should make very interesting reading. And probably provide the best learning opportunities.

In case it has gone unnoticed, I have posted a two part listing of links for the last twelve games of the month. They cover download links for the mods and start files for all the classes and software versions, links to the game intros and instruction pages, and links to the discussion and spoiler threads.

Let me know if you need any thing else.

Originally posted by AlanH
In case it has gone unnoticed, I have posted a two part listing of links for the last twelve games of the month. They cover download links for the mods and start files for all the classes and software versions, links to the game intros and instruction pages, and links to the discussion and spoiler threads.

I had missed that. Perhaps you might want to put a link on the GOTM website. It is especially valuable for all of the links to the threads dealing with each game.

Originally posted by zagnut

I had missed that. Perhaps you might want to put a link on the GOTM website. It is especially valuable for all of the links to the threads dealing with each game.
My cunning plan is to get the links right in the posts, and then add them to the games database so that the game pages will contain the thread links.

I have PTW 1.27f( the last uptade from www.civ3.com) and I have seen the post which say's about patch 1.14.
What kind of a patch should I have for PTW if I want to play on GOTM?

Welcome to the GOTM sardkar,

The latest version for ptw is 1.27f.

Don't worry about the 1.14 as it is an earlier patch.

Hi, its been over a year since I've played this game. I'm just wondering for what reason does GOTM not use the latest civ3 expansion? I bought it, and tried some scenarios but decided to play vanilla Civ3 for the GOTM (Didn't want to override the files in PTW which I'm using for other games).

Firstly, PTW supports scenarios better than Civ3, so you wouldn't be overwriting files by playing the GOTM under PTW.

Secondly, conquests isn't (yet) being supported for three (main) reasons: 1.) Conquest still hasn't been patched to the final version. There are some significant changes being made to the game rules, and different people playing with different patches. This isn't a killer reason for not supporting conquests under the GOTM, but its still a significant reason!
2.) Conquests has such different rules to PTW and Civ3 that its not really practical to compare them side-by-side as we do with PTW v Civ3. Therefore, we would need to run it as a separate competition.
3.) Whilst we may do this in the future, we need to tidy-up the processes that we use for the current GOTMs: the results processing, QSC, Hall Of Fame and adapting our various utilities to support conquests. We will get there, but how we will support conquests and when we will support it will probably not be clear for six weeks or so.

Originally posted by sardukar
I have many time reloaded my save game because always want to win in a battle. Is it legal ?
No sardukar, you're not allowed to submit a game in which you have re-loaded. See :
From the Your 1st visit to the land of GOTM link on the main gotm site

You may not reload the game from a previous save file or an autosave file to replay and change any events that occur in the game. Reloading gives you an artificial knowledge of future events and might allow you to manipulate the outcomes of some random events, but these behaviors will often leave a distinctive signature on your game that can be detected by further review of your submitted save game files

From my hazy memory, you are allowed a certain number of reloads, kept secret by the GOTM staff.

So, unless you HAVE to (crashed game or similar unfixable catastrophe) DO NOT RELOAD!

Hi all. Hopefully will be playing the next GOTM... It's been a while!

Sardukar: it is certainly *not* true that you are allowed a number of reloads to alter a previous result. Reloading is allowed however after misclicks or system crashes and of course to eat and sleep once in a while. Just play the next game without unnecessary reloading and you'll be fine. As a bonus you'll find you get better at planning ahead in your game. :)

Top Bottom