Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, so that's what it does! See, I only had contact with Poland, which foolishly declared war on me at an early point, when I first adopted Imperium (because I was growing huge and because it sounded cool :mischief:) and following that, no new civs that I met wanted to establish any for of agreement apart from "We need some help. Kindly give us half of your tech-tree and 10k gold." So I never got any foreign trade. Thanks for breaking it down! It seems fairly useful, apart from the fact that you can't force newly encountered civs to start trading with you since they'll automatically hate you.

As for the diplomacy screen, well, isn't that what the trade AI is for? After all, it can still decline when you demand something (which happens a lot if you're not overwhelmingly powerful). The arbitrary locking out of certain options going by a static "we don't like you enough" modifier which (unlike when you're able to click the "we demand X" button) doesn't take into account that I have an awe-inspiring horde standing right next to the civ's borders; it frankly reminds me of that typical "Oh no, I'm going through a tunnel! Can't hear you! SCRRRCH-SCRRRRCH".
Why should anyone have to like you before you're even allowed to make a demand? It simply doesn't make sense. Imagine being held up a gunpoint and then, just as the mugger is about to ask for your phone and wallet, you put a finger to his lips and go "Hush, hush. I don't like you enough to part with my phone, but how's a couple of bucks sound?" If I wanted to constantly take everything by force, I'd just play Total War.

In reality, just look at what the old Chinese dynasties, the Romans and the western empires did; they sent emissaries to foreign countries and "offered" very unfair trade agreements as an alternative to invasion, which is something you simply can't do.

As is, it seems like only three extreme playstyles are rewarded here: the overly tactful diplomat who butters everyone up with gifts before asking them to murder each other for his amusement; the warlord who never ever opens up the diplomacy screen, even to declare war (why bother with all that extra clicking when you can just march troops into soon-to-be enemy territory?), and the isolationist who fortifies himself before rushing through the tech-tree until he's got nukes while everyone else has longbows.

Is there any way to remove the "we don't like you" barrier? Maybe change the trade AI to be harsher with civs it doesn't like instead?

In reality, just look at what the old Chinese dynasties, the Romans and the western empires did; they sent emissaries to foreign countries and "offered" very unfair trade agreements as an alternative to invasion, which is something you simply can't do.
Yepp, I'm also missing the option of "Either this trade or it's war".

Why should anyone have to like you before you're even allowed to make a demand? It simply doesn't make sense. Imagine being held up a gunpoint and then, just as the mugger is about to ask for your phone and wallet, you put a finger to his lips and go "Hush, hush. I don't like you enough to part with my phone, but how's a couple of bucks sound?" If I wanted to constantly take everything by force, I'd just play Total War.
Well... You can view it like this: To save you from some extra dialogue and frustration, the game reds out items on the list that the AI would never trade with you, no matter what you offer: all your techs, treasury, resources, etc. Not even war or peace matters to it.
So those lines are red, because you don't have the slightest chance to trade for them.

Oh, so it's not a static modifier? It really seemed like it since opening an embassy and right of civilian passage (is this or open borders the one that lets your cities trade, by the way?) should be extremely preferable to war with a stronger power, or at least something to be bought with loads and loads of gold. Does threatening have almost no weight in priority calculations? Is there any way to tweak the trade AI? I've heard that it's far more workable than the Total War AI (which is barely touchable AFAIK), so hopefully there might be something that could be done. I've never (ever) heard of a realm going to war with a behemoth rather than part with a couple of pigs. :rolleyes:
On a side note: are there any tech requirements for trading resources or are the other civs just unwilling to trade them? Apart from my own and whatever I might randomly be offered from time to time, I hardly ever see any resources in the trade menu.. :undecide:
Also how do you enable "Choose Religions"? I have a vague memory of it being in the main options when setting up a game, but I can't find it anywhere. Did RoM disable it in later versions? :confused:

Also how do you enable "Choose Religions"? I have a vague memory of it being in the main options when setting up a game, but I can't find it anywhere. Did RoM disable it in later versions? :confused:
It was disabled for balance reasons.

Oh, I see. Is there some uncomplicated way of re-enabling it? I did a short sweep of the files but couldn't find any relevant mention of the option.

right of civilian passage (is this or open borders the one that lets your cities trade, by the way?

Right of Passage is enough to get foreign connections and create commerce for buildings dependent on such. Open borders is what you want if you need to move your army through someone else's land to get to your enemy.

are there any tech requirements for trading resources

Not that I know of; that should be available from the get-go. Alphabet for Techs, Currency for Gold and Paper for Maps.

Oh, I see. Is there some uncomplicated way of re-enabling it? I did a short sweep of the files but couldn't find any relevant mention of the option.
Assets/xml/gameinfo folder:

Find: CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml

Find:
Code:
        <GameOptionInfo>
            <Type>GAMEOPTION_PICK_RELIGION</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_PICK_RELIGION</Description>
            <Help>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_PICK_RELIGION_HELP</Help>
            <bDefault>0</bDefault>
            <bVisible>0</bVisible>
        </GameOptionInfo>

Change to:
Code:
        <GameOptionInfo>
            <Type>GAMEOPTION_PICK_RELIGION</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_PICK_RELIGION</Description>
            <Help>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_PICK_RELIGION_HELP</Help>
            <bDefault>1</bDefault>
            <bVisible>1</bVisible>
        </GameOptionInfo>

greetings. I should fill this comment with compliments, since this Mod and Rhyse's-dawn of civs Mod made me to prefer Civ IV, since people well knows it I ll go to my question.
What I wished to know is about Revoluitons in Rise of civs, a new dawn: are the civs-leaders which are going to spawn random, or are they wheighted with the era in which they get spawned.
given example, if a revoultion leads to a new civ in classical era, is it going to be Greeks, Romans (or clasical era civs), or instead could it be modern De Gaulle France or Washington America to spawn at 400 BC, so fully random?
Then, a further thing. If I set a map with culturally linked start spots, is a revolution, given example of Sumer cities, going to spawn a Babylonian civ (since it is near, and they are same culture civs), or is this random instead? thank you

What I wished to know is about Revoluitons in Rise of civs, a new dawn: are the civs-leaders which are going to spawn random, or are they wheighted with the era in which they get spawned.
AFAIK it's random.

Then, a further thing. If I set a map with culturally linked start spots, is a revolution, given example of Sumer cities, going to spawn a Babylonian civ (since it is near, and they are same culture civs), or is this random instead? thank you
Civs spawned BY REVOLUTIONS similar ethnic civs: Sumeria spawns Babylon, Persia, etc. Rome spawns Byzantine, Greece, etc.
Civs spawned as MINOR CIVS from barbarian cities are randomly picked civs.

thank you, @Zeta Nexus

(ps. I would suggest to add it, if people wants: Civs spawned to be, at priority, weighted at the present era, g.e. so that you don t meet Washington at classical era)

Did you make the "cities retain their culture after conquest" option (this option where cities still can build UUs andUBs from their previous owner's civ) yourself? Because I'd like to add it to Varietas Delectat but can't find it as a "standalone" mod component.

Hey Zeta! i have embarrasing question:

I started my game with "no transhuman era" enabled, but now i want it unenabled in midle of the game.
I checked game options and i didnt saw any checkbox there.
Is there any way to enable it?

Hey Zeta! i have embarrasing question:

I started my game with "no transhuman era" enabled, but now i want it unenabled in midle of the game.
I checked game options and i didnt saw any checkbox there.
Is there any way to enable it?

You can't enable or disable those options in the middle of the game without hacking the save file. If it was a BUG option, you could change it, but the start-of-game options are set in stone.

That's a sort of "hacking". But even that cannot solve everything: revolutions cannot be changed IIRC.

I forgot about chipotle. You should be able to turn that off if you use chipotle. It's just another game option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom