Future of Orbis - Civ5 incarnation discussion

Yes, I am happy that am not a slave, too.
Especially, that although I liked Sahara, I prefer greener pastures... ;)

Unfortunatelly, Pazyryk is 100% right. Civ 5 is still not ready for bigger mods. Lack of possibility of creating new units is probably the worst at the moment. Bigger mechanics changes can wait a bit, but I can use different timeframe and technologies without new unit graphics.

SO, for now I might do some digging for orbis 2, but nothing big and without setting any release date.

On the other hand, I really consider going back to Orbis 1. I really miss civ modding, and there are some unfinished things. I would like to leave it in proper state.
I was really set on creating something new in Orbis 2 and Civ 5 was a logical choice, but with current state of theings I will have to either wait or go back to the old things.

Well, it is a bit of theoretical thinking, as I am still quite busy (the greener pastures and forests need to be checked and described, and the students need teaching - the joys of a botanist in the early summer). But I started de-dusting Orbis and it will slowly get more of my time.

Well it's exciting to say the least. Orbis was my first love of the ffh2 modmods and it is still my favorite. Even playing the ones that are still updated and being worked on like RiFE and MoM I always find myself going back to Orbis regularly even though it hasn't been updated in some time :)

Needless to say, it's very exciting that it might be worked on once again!

I've been thinking about making a fantasy mod of my own. Unfortunately, I'm only good at writing, conceiving, and putting the world on paper, I'm totally ******ed at programming and other technical super-geek squad stuff... so far...:D

Well I know that the Dune War team continue to upgrade their mod. Right now it is one of the main games I play these days. I'd play some other ones but I can't seem to find a definitive step-by-step way to fix MAF errors for Vista 64bit system.

So I think that working on Orbit 1.0 is the way to go. Who knows how long Firaxis is going to take to fix things since they are busy w/Facebook Civ and things of that nature.

well seems like the dll for civ V are finally coming our way :) modding for Civ V seems to have a future after all. Does this impact your choice in whether to continue on orbis 1 or start on 2?

i would love to help with orbis 2 :) i'm studying to become a software engineer so i could do some advanced coding

I'm not sure how coded it is into the new Civ V system but one thing I've been finding a bit irritating about Civ V is regarding puppet states. I like the old vassal states better since I really don't think you could create a puppet state after taking it over and then later on saying, "Just kidding! You're part of our empire!" without them going bat-sh*t insane.

I mean the whole point of vassal states was that they'd keep their own national identity. Plus it would be nice if you could take a city over and then declare it a City-State; that would be cool.

My point is that often times it is very difficult to do a sustained military push because your empire just can't take the unhappiness. I'm not sure how the AI player can do it sometimes because I've had games where I've got the army, the tech and the will to kick booty but my people go into fits of :mad: even when I create puppet states.

Worse is you'd think that if you take a city you don't want and give it to a ally or at least a non-enemy they'd like you a lot, right? Nope, that doesn't work either.

I still stand by my idea of having a bunch of minor leaders available for each race which would mostly be there as vassal leaders. That way you install your puppet of choice and this vassal state would have to work really hard before rebelling.

Civ5 modding is getting a lot easier lately. Still no dll. But there are many useful tools posted and, most importantly, a lot of code out there to barrow from. You have total control of SavedGameDB (nothing like this in Civ4 modding) and total control of the interface. With that, you can do a lot. My mod in progress has civs that gain a name and traits after game start, >200 Heroes that can become leaders (and then die and be replaced), many more things... (watch for it in 2012)

A bit late to the party, but I always loved Orbis back when I used to play Civ IV. (Just getting back into it and installing everything again in fact. Heh, I've gone through 2 computers since the last time I played.) I've got FFH2 working and I have to say things look a lot prettier than I expected. (Must be the bigger monitor or I have terrible memory.)

Played Civ 5. Liked it for about 5 minutes then turned it off and haven't been back since. I think without the fantasy element I have no interest in it whatsoever.

Top Bottom