Future of Spanish in the United States

It's nice to know another language, but it not right for Americans to have to learn Spanish so they can talk to the immigrants. The Mexicans should have to learn English like everyone else did as they came to the country.

rmsharpe said:
100% right. If you're going to break our laws, steal our jobs, and gobble up our welfare dollars, they'd darn well better assimilate into our culture.

Seconded.

When I think about it, I am glad the Slovaks and Poles have so similar languages. Slovaks don't have to learn Czech at all, and Poles or Ukrainians can learn it in very short time. At least we don't have this kind of problems.

Unless the entire population north of the Panama Canal suddenly gets up and displaces the current US population, I don't see Spanish becoming an 'official' language. Once the quality of living in the Latin American countries rises and immigration slows the source of Spanish speaking people will be cut off. Those already in the country will learn English and gradually forget that of their ancestor's, just the same as the Italians, Germans, French, and countless other peoples have done.

I forsee that Spanish would be only of use with common everyday conversation. English would be the primary language of politcs, buissness, and other important matters outside the UN.

rmsharpe said:
100% right. If you're going to break our laws, steal our jobs, and gobble up our welfare dollars, they'd darn well better assimilate into our culture
Yeah the Mexicans are taking those coveted jobs as migrant farm workers and dish washers. Lots of Americans are clamoring for those jobs, but the Mexicans take them all:rolleyes:

Nikita Khrushchev was right when he said that America's final defeat would come from within. :(
Yes but he was talking about ignorant people like you.

Bozo Erectus said:
and dish washers. Lots of Americans are clamoring for those jobs, but the Mexicans take them all:rolleyes:

in all fairness, dishwashing is valuble job for teenagers; dont know where manya friend of mine would have been without it

haha, where I live, all those meaningless jobs like dishwashers are being taken by college educated adults who got laid off from the software jobs due to outsourcing and factory closure. No joke. There is rapid teenager unemployment because of it...I got lucky

THE WHITE MAN IS KEEPING ME DOWN!! :)

Woah, people seem to have a case of major xenophobia.

I hope for the USA it will still stay monolinguistic...
Bilingual areas are a haven for troubles... no need to repeat the entire Belgian history, is there.

Bozo Erectus said:
Yeah the Mexicans are taking those coveted jobs as migrant farm workers and dish washers. Lots of Americans are clamoring for those jobs, but the Mexicans take them all:rolleyes:
That's what you think. But as they advance and become relatively middle income, they'll abandon those jobs and take new ones, higher up in the "social ladder" as it were.

Yes but he was talking about ignorant people like you.
I'm not being ignorant, I'm being rational. Uncontrolled immigration will destroy this country.

rmsharpe said:
That's what you think. But as they advance and become relatively middle income, they'll abandon those jobs and take new ones, higher up in the "social ladder" as it were.

whats wrong with that? thats exactly what everybody else in this coutnry does. A middle income job requiring skills is a job...it shouldnt matter if the guy who's doing it is Mexican or Iowian. its the American dream

rmsharpe said:
You mean like Alberto Gonzalez, Attorney General of the United States?
I'm not being ignorant, I'm being rational. Uncontrolled immigration will destroy this country.
Uncontrolled immigration would destroy any country. But instead of demonizing the people who come here to do America's dirty work at slave wages, you should direct your anger at a government that refuses to control its own borders, and the businesses all across the Southwest that break the law and hire the illegals.

I agree, because the illegal immigration mafia is very strong in Latin America and Mexico is one of its most important bases. The US Government and the european governments should exert pressure on the Latin American governments to do something about it. Otherwise there will be more illegal immigration, more miserables, more unemployement and more racism. This thing must be stopped, not only by making laws, but by working hard with the Latin american governments.

The biggest step to keeping english as the main language is to do away with all the spanish translations that you see everywhere. They would have no choice but to learn the language. My ancestors came here from Italy 70 years ago, and didn't know a lick of english, but they had no choice so they learned the language. If you immerse someone in a language they will pick it up extremely quickly.

Nate128 said:
The biggest step to keeping english as the main language is to do away with all the spanish translations that you see everywhere. They would have no choice but to learn the language. My ancestors came here from Italy 70 years ago, and didn't know a lick of english, but they had no choice so they learned the language. If you immerse someone in a language they will pick it up extremely quickly.
But would that make them lose their heratage quickly. I kind of see it as forced Assemilation.

Bozo Erectus said:
You mean like Alberto Gonzalez, Attorney General of the United States?
Nope, born in San Antonio, Texas.

Uncontrolled immigration would destroy any country. But instead of demonizing the people who come here to do America's dirty work at slave wages, you should direct your anger at a government that refuses to control its own borders, and the businesses all across the Southwest that break the law and hire the illegals.
It's the government's responsibility, but it's the people that are doing it. If a jewelery store is robbed, you don't blame the shop owner for making the store so appealing to criminals. You go for the crooks!

Unfortunately, we've got those crooks in Washington and Mexico City.

@CivGeneral: There is a distinct difference between speaking the Language and keeping your heritage. Also, when you move to America, you take on an American heritage.

English should remain the dominant language of our country, even if we can't make it an official language it should be treated as one.

Top Bottom