[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although oddly enough, Firaxis did post on twitter about needing a slew of new hires for positions most likely to be used in Civ. So who knows what that is for but my bet is there is a build up for Civ 7 which is still a good many years out.

They had also said- I think earlier this year? - they were working on a new franchise (not Civ or Xcom) to add to their lineup.

They'll do a super-mysterious live stream for XP3 just like they did for the Gathering Storm announcement, only this time it will just consist of playing the Hungarian theme non-stop until we all go mad :crazyeye:
I, for one, would welcome that, Hungarian themes are lovely :p

I hadn't seen Matthias for a while and so had forgotten how insidious it is... and then he turned up in my current game :lol: :shifty:

It would be more in keeping with past practice to release two expansions and then move on to pastures new. A winter update (which is what this thread was supposed to be about) is likely, if anything because Firaxis are supposedly still developing the world builder (what takes them so long?) and one expects at some point the SDK. But I don't see any reason to suppose that they will come up with a new expansion, even if (a) you want one, or (b) you can think of an idea for one.

But I don't see any reason to suppose that they will come up with a new expansion,
No final edition published? Little hints in videos like “we are not finished yet”.
I would bet my cats life on it, but then again it did wee on my daughters bed last night.

It would be more in keeping with past practice to release two expansions and then move on to pastures new. A winter update (which is what this thread was supposed to be about) is likely, if anything because Firaxis are supposedly still developing the world builder (what takes them so long?) and one expects at some point the SDK. But I don't see any reason to suppose that they will come up with a new expansion, even if (a) you want one, or (b) you can think of an idea for one.

Previous iterations of the franchise didn't lend themselves as much to expansion as Civ6 does. When BtS & BNW released for their respective franchises, I really felt like Firaxis were DONE. I don't get that feeling with Gathering Storm, though.

No final edition published? Little hints in videos like “we are not finished yet”.
I would bet my cats life on it, but then again it did wee on my daughters bed last night.

I just rehoused my cats (to a farm - a real farm, not a euphemism for dead animals) as they had been peeing in the house because we tried to introduce 2 other cats 2 years ago. Plus we were out too much to give them proper attention. So I feel your pain - that stuff stinks.

Back on topic: I still feel we will get more alternative leaders yet. Surely that would be a good cash winner for them.

They should cancel the third expansion and release Civilization VI: The Musical. We already got a battle royale mode, Firaxis clearly has no limits, so just make it happen!!! Eight hours straight of Gilgamesh dancing and singing, it can't get any better.

How does a legend, demigod, king of Uruk
And Akkadian, dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Sumeria
By no River, impoverished, in Desert, grow up to be a hero and a winner?

How many she has left tho? If all 9 then it's not risky bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just rehoused my cats (to a farm - a real farm, not a euphemism for dead animals) as they had been peeing in the house because we tried to introduce 2 other cats 2 years ago. Plus we were out too much to give them proper attention. So I feel your pain - that stuff stinks.

Back on topic: I still feel we will get more alternative leaders yet. Surely that would be a good cash winner for them.

I won't expect many more alternate leaders, and definitely none as a stand-alone DLC.

Alternate leaders have got to be the worst value proposition for Firaxis with regards to effort and payoff. The most time- and money-intensive new content they develop is a leader - modeling, animations, voiceovers.

Alternate leaders on their own are probably not going to be that compelling to people as brand new factions are--and once a leader is done it's probably comparatively less effort to just flesh out the whole thing into a civ and increase the commercial appeal of the content.

I won't expect many more alternate leaders, and definitely none as a stand-alone DLC.

Alternate leaders have got to be the worst value proposition for Firaxis with regards to effort and payoff. The most time- and money-intensive new content they develop is a leader - modeling, animations, voiceovers.

Alternate leaders on their own are probably not going to be that compelling to people as brand new factions are--and once a leader is done it's probably comparatively less effort to just flesh out the whole thing into a civ and increase the commercial appeal of the content.
YES--by the time you make a new leader you might as well create an entirely new civ. I kind of wish Leader/Civ weren't reseparated in Civ 6.

For me late game in Civ 6 is most boring of all civ games, ever ... I really think Civ6 which is really interesting 60-70% of a play, deserve something else at the end. Brave new World really helped Civ6, but climate change and specially new era didnt make late game any more interesting ...

For me late game in Civ 6 is most boring of all civ games, ever ... I really think Civ6 which is really interesting 60-70% of a play, deserve something else at the end. Brave new World really helped Civ6, but climate change and specially new era didnt make late game any more interesting ...

The late game is boring because AI i so weak that it is irrelevant after mid game. They don't have to add new features to make the game more interesting. They only need to make the AI more challenging.

Also I don't like the deterministic diplomacy. When an AI starts to get friendly it will renew the friendship indefinitely (99 out of 100 times). Civ 6 is lacking dynamic diplomacy unlike Civ 4 which had religions and Civ 5 which had ideologies. Both religions and ideologies had really great impact on whether your neighbor would like you or hate you which could lead to world wars. Unless Firaxis won't fix AI and/or diplomacy none of other new shiny features would fix the late game boredom.

I would get excited if firaxis drops the bom on us with a big teaser just a couple days after consoles.
Like the one from gathering storm. Got no crue what the main focus would be for a third expansion.
As civ 6 is so content dense already. Perhaps a civ teaser like the Maya’s with something linking to economic victory.
Would be more excited for a big overhaul and AI patch but that would never sell well.
But that means the next patch would probably will be some minor update.

*Excuse for my weekly rant. Civ 6 is good enough to play in its current state*

Imagine this:

The intro cutscene begins with a closeup of Sean Bean’s character’s face. As it zooms out, you see he has a long braided beard and is wearing a tall Mesopotamian crown. He is riding in a chariot, complete with royal parasol. The chariot emerges from the massive Ishtar Gate. Sean looks back to see the daughter, who cheers. The scene shifts. The daughter is still cheering, but it’s now a Mayan ball game. The Father tries to hit the ball with his hip, dives... and misses. A look of concern flashes across the daughter’s face. The scene shifts again. The daughter is now dressed as a Byzantine empress in royal purple and wearing the imperial tiara. She looks on as soldiers repel an attack from atop the Theodosian Walls. The camera pans to the Hagia Sophia in the background.

What would you want to see next?

The late game is boring because AI i so weak that it is irrelevant after mid game. They don't have to add new features to make the game more interesting. They only need to make the AI more challenging.

Also I don't like the deterministic diplomacy. When an AI starts to get friendly it will renew the friendship indefinitely (99 out of 100 times). Civ 6 is lacking dynamic diplomacy unlike Civ 4 which had religions and Civ 5 which had ideologies. Both religions and ideologies had really great impact on whether your neighbor would like you or hate you which could lead to world wars. Unless Firaxis won't fix AI and/or diplomacy none of other new shiny features would fix the late game boredom.

I largely disagree with your take on the end-game, as I mostly find it to be the 2nd most fun end game in the entire franchise.....with only Civ5 being somewhat better.

However, I will agree with you that differing religions & governments/ideologies need to play a bigger role Diplomacy.....with the former obviously being a factor in the post-industrial era, & government/ideology becoming more important from the Industrial age onwards. That said, I hope they don't ever repeat Civ4's mistakes of making shared/different religions impacts on Diplomacy *too* powerful. Some Civs should always value shared religion more than others, but all should judge the other civs by actions, not mere words. i.e., in the Civ4 parlance, merely changing my State Religion should have only ever had a minor impact on diplomatic relations.....converting my cities to the new religion should have been the ticket to bigger diplomacy boosts. Likewise, in Civ6, using Inquisitors to remove a religion from my cities should have a very detrimental impact on my diplomatic relations with the Civ that founded that religion, as well as any other Civs that follow that religion.

I'd generally agree, though there is the slight possibility of something like an alt leader pac if there's a gap where they what to give the artists something to do while the Developers are working on something else - say after the last expac but before Civ 7. Usually they just lay off/end the contract of most the artists and rehire when the next game is closer to finish though. Or perhaps just move them to another 2k resource for the time being.

Also I don't like the deterministic diplomacy. When an AI starts to get friendly it will renew the friendship indefinitely (99 out of 100 times). Civ 6 is lacking dynamic diplomacy unlike Civ 4 which had religions and Civ 5 which had ideologies. Both religions and ideologies had really great impact on whether your neighbor would like you or hate you which could lead to world wars.

I think they just need to make it impossible to stay allied/friendly with two different Civs that are at war with each other. On war declaration you have to choose one, or perhaps force peace in a trade deal (and failing that choose one). Same if an ally/friend attacks your suzerained CS.

Imagine this:

The intro cutscene begins with a closeup of Sean Bean’s character’s face. As it zooms out, you see he has a long braided beard and is wearing a tall Mesopotamian crown. He is riding in a chariot, complete with royal parasol. The chariot emerges from the massive Ishtar Gate. Sean looks back to see the daughter, who cheers. The scene shifts. The daughter is still cheering, but it’s now a Mayan ball game. The Father tries to hit the ball with his hip, dives... and misses. A look of concern flashes across the daughter’s face. The scene shifts again. The daughter is now dressed as a Byzantine empress in royal purple and wearing the imperial tiara. She looks on as soldiers repel an attack from atop the Theodosian Walls. The camera pans to the Hagia Sophia in the background.

Cut to Sean Bean's character, standing in a crowd that is watching as a certain priest nails some paper to the door of a church. Then jump forward to a group of people signing a certain Declaration of Independence, then show the daughter, waving off her father as he heads off to participate in the American Civil War.

The Father tries to hit the ball with his hip, dives... and misses. A look of concern flashes across the daughter’s face.

So complete it even features Sean Bean dying early in the trailer.

Imagine this:

We get an interior shot of a colonial office. Sean Bean, quill in hand, is scribbling numbers on a ledger as the camera pans over his shoulder and out the window to reveal a port where crates are being loaded onto a cargo ship flying the Portuguese flag. Washout, then fade back to crates being loaded onto a delivery truck as the camera pans up from an asphalt shipping yard and through a window into a corporate office where the daughter is studying a ledger. The camera then pans to a map on the wall showing branch offices located throughout Europe. Another fade and that same map now shows Western and Soviet blocs. The camera pulls back a bit to reveal the map on a table as generals point here and there, denoting possible troop deployments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom