Agnostophile
The Ainu People
Download here
(requires 3-2-2021 or later)
Ainu Symbol.png
Leader - Shakushain
Shakushain.png

UA - Floating World

Unmounted Ranged Units gain the Kerep-Noye promotion and Civilian Units gain the Prowl promotion. Connected Cities you've founded gain +1% :c5culture: Culture per tile away from your Capital (max. : +20%), while unconnected Cities gain :c5production: Production instead. Spawn a Matangitono when founding Cities.

Note : The Capital, when founded, doesn't spawn a Matangitono.

Spoiler UA Promotions :

Kerep-Noye

After attacking, inflicts the Wither plague, which reduces healing from fortifying/waiting by 10 for 2 turns.

Prowl

Ignores enemy Zone of Control. Unit withdraws from the first Melee attack each turn if possible.

__________________________________________________________________________________

UU1 - Matangitono (replaces Pathfinder)
Matangitono.png

5:c5strength:6:c5rangedstrength: (range 1)

Ignores Terrain Cost
Reconnaissance
Cannot Melee Attack
Kerep-Noye
Quick Study
Foundation
(Can build Camps, Fishing Boats and Kotans. At lvl 4, can be upgraded to Composite Bowman or expended to found a City)

Removed : Malus against barbarian
__________________________________________________________________________________

UI - Kotan (replaces Village)
Kotan.png

Unlocked at Trapping
Replaces Village
Must be built near water, and not next to another Kotan (800 construction time)
Doesn't require feature removal.

1 :c5culture:
+1 :c5production: Production per adjacent Resource
-1 :c5food:/:c5culture:/:c5faith: & +1 :c5gold: per adjacent non-road improvement, except Camps, Fishing Boats, GPTIs and Landmarks.
+1 :c5happy: Happiness when adjacent to a City

Tech bonuses :
  • Sailing : +1 :c5food:/:c5culture:/:c5faith:
  • Theology : +1 :c5food:/:c5culture:/:c5faith:
  • Rifling : +1 :c5food:/:c5culture:/:c5faith:
Other bonuses :
  • Gain the same bonuses from Policies as the Village
  • +30% CS when defending on this tile
  • Inflicts 5 damages to adjacent hostile units at the end of their turn
  • Doesn't gain bonus yields from Roads/Railroads
Spoiler 4UC Compatibility :

UU2 - Matagi (replaces Explorer)
Matagi.png

Unlocked at Theology
Same production cost

21 :c5strength: CS

Ignores Terrain Cost
Bonus against Barbarians
Reconnaissance
Amphibious
Track
(after attacking, inflicts the Ambushed plague, which negates defensive bonuses from terrain features for 2 turns)
Soul Liberation (when killing, gains 1 :c5moves: MP, 5 XP and the ability to attack again this turn)

Purchase requirement Building : Temple (instead of Harbor).

Removed : Ability to cross Ocean tiles, Bonus Vision and Defense when embarked
UGP - Great Nispa (replaces GGeneral)
GNispa.png

Spawned every 6 Policies unlocked (still increases the cost of future GNispa).

2 MP
4 Vision (instead of 2)

Leadership
Military Tradition
Prowl (thanks to UA)
Ignores Terrain Cost
Guidance
: When alive, provides -7 % to Need modifers across the Empire (max. : -20 %). Friendly units starting their turn within 1 tile gain the Spirited promotion for 2 turns.

Can be expended to construct a Casi.
Spoiler Guidance promotion :

Spirited

Reduces all incoming Damages by 3 for 2 turns.

UGPTI - Casi (replaces Citadel)
Casi.png

Must be built in or next to your territory
When constructed, claim all adjacent tiles and spawn a Hill under it
Doesn't require feature removal
+75% CS when defending (instead of +100%)

1 :c5science:/:c5faith:/:c5gold:
(instead of 1 :c5science:/:c5production:, but spawning a Hill under it provides Production)

Enemy units ending their turn next to the Casi suffers 30 damages. When starting their turn, they are afflicted with the Trapped plague (-1 MP and -10 % bonus CS from flanking) for 2 turns.

Same Tech bonuses as the Citadel
Same Policy bonuses as the Citadel

Spoiler Promotion Icons Summary by Astérix Rage (v. 5 onward) :

ainu_PI_256_01.png

Credits :
  • Umeko Ando : Peace Theme (Iyomante Upopo) and War Theme (Battaki)
  • Alicia Ruckle : Original art for the Matangitono (all rights reserved)
  • Lisa Heidoff : Original art for the Matagi (all rights reserved)
  • Gedemon, Nutty & Dolen2 : Original UU 3d models from Ethnic Diversity
  • Xenon257R : 3d model and ImprovementIcon for the Kotan
  • Guandao & Reedstilt : Original research and GameText for the base Civ V Ainu mod
  • Leugi & Pouakai : Concept, 3d model and Art for the Casi (Pa of the Maori civ mod) => with authorization from creators Leugi (3d modeler) and Pouakai (concept)
  • The Bearded Lady : DoM speech
  • JP : UnitFlags and CivIcon
  • Astérix Rage : Promotion Icons, Strategic View UnitFlags, UnitFlag and UnitIcon for Great Nispa, Help with art
  • Hinin : Original concept, Research, Design, GameText, UUs 3d models modifications, Diplomacy and AI flavors, Help with art, Testing, Direction
  • gwennog : XML, SQL, Lua, Leaderscene, LeaderIcon, Map, all UnitIcons and integration of UnitFlags and CivIcons, Precious help with research and design, Testing
Special Thanks :
  • Regalman : Original map for the base Civ V Ainu mod
  • Adan_eslavo, Infixo & Blue Ghost : Lua sources
  • Irkalla : Civ Icon guide
  • Deliverator : 3d model guide
  • HungryForFood : Lua API wiki
  • Sukritact : Help for contacting Leugi
  • Astérix Rage, pineappledan, Kim Dong Un, Gizmoman and Milae : Feedback

Last edited:
Like the Phoenicia mod by pineappledan, this mod has been designed from the ground up, without taking any inspiration from other mods in terms of mechanics. Moreover, we've tried, in our way, to make most assets by ourselves, learning a lot in the process. :)

Known issue for v.1 and v.2 :
  • The Yukar Gathering will show 2 base GWriter points per turn when in fact it only grants 1 (an UI interface pb). The additionnal GWriter points are granted with Lua and show above each city at the beginning of each turn.
Known issues for v.3 :
  • The way plagues are shown on unit cards isn't consistent unfortunately. They are well applied, but aren't always visible. It is a VP problem.
  • For the Ambush plague, we didn't manage to apply -35 % defense when on a hill + forest/jungle (Hill are in another category, when complicates things). The maximum amount applied is -25 % when defending.
Future change :
  • New 3d model for the Kotan (currently placeholder)
About balance : I am well aware that the Kotan and the Matangitono, as they are now, could appear as overpowered. However, since their concepts are quite new within VP (UI with improvement maluses, pathfinder that can found cities) I wasn't sure of the exact balance here and prefered the Gazebo approach of overtuning things a bit to ensure the playability before ironing the balance issues. Because of this, your feedback is of course appreciated.

Also, I strongly advise against using Ancient Ruins when playing this civilization : two of the possible bonuses offered by the Ancient Ruins (namely the unit upgrade and the map revealing) completely thrash the balance of this civ's early game (the first by wasting your Matangitono, the second by allowing you to reach lvl 4 absurdly quickly).

Spoiler Other gameplay advice (spoiler for those who want to discover the civ by themselves) :

Forward settling

Thanks to the Matangitono and the effects of the UA and UI, the Ainus have the potential to put viable cities faraway from their capital. Most notably, with the bonus production from Authority, a second city on an excellent spot can really become a powerful tool. Just be sure to defend it well and not let it grow too much.

City planning and population control

Because of how the Kotan shapes the way you place other improvements, it is advised to carefully prepare your settling to ensure maximum efficiency in your UI placement. It is also advised to not let your secondary city grow too much : often too distant to be connected to the capital early on, they can really drain your Happiness if not monitored. Personnally, I like to have as many Citizens as I have tiles with at least 6 yields up until the mid-game : with your UA, having low population isn't really a problem if you keep you Kotan free from adjacent improvements (in that case, they are among the most efficient tiles in the game).

Kotan and features are your best defense

Since constructing a Kotan doesn't require feature removal, it is possible to keep the Forest/Jungle and Swamps in your territory. Use these features as strongholds and killing zones for your troops, especially once you've unlocked the Matagi, that can negate terrain defense from features for the enemy it attacks. One other thing to note is that a Kotan on a forested Hill provides a +65% CS defense bonus, making it more powerful than a Fort an era and a half before it is unlocked.

Archers : the heart of the Ainu army

The Ainus are specialized in defensive protracted warfare, where the accumulated effect of their anti-healing plagues can really allow you to wear out an invading force. Thus, all your archers (and especially those upgraded from lvl 4 Matangitono) have a crucial role to play : putting them on hilly terrain while placing spearmen and pikemen in flat terrain is an cheap and efficient way to control the pace of your wars. Once the Matagi is unlocked, it can serve as a flanker, a finisher or an enabler for your other troops depending on their promotions (flanker/finisher with Trailblazer, enabler with Survivalism).

Prowl : an invisible promotion until it isn't

At first sight, Prowl can be considered as a safety measure for your civilians, especially around your faraway cities (more vulnerable to raids). That said, this promotion is also a good way to maintain economic efficiency in time of conflict, an enabler for Fortress placing (since it affects your GGenerals, you can move and place a Fortress the same turn even somewhere full of enemy units) and something that make distant conversion by your missionaries less random. A simple concept, but useful is a variety of situations.

Finally, aside from feedback, the best way to thank us is to inform yourselves about the situation of Ainus in Japan and Russia, even more during this covid pandemic that has cut the fundings for a lot of tourism-dependent Ainu communities and killed some of the last fluent speakers of the Ainu language. I hope that this mod, in its own little way, can provide any amount of help for these communities.

Last edited:
I'm experiencing a technical issue with this mod.
Whenever I enable it, the game refuses to load any modded saves.
When I hover over the load button it says "Not all required mods are installed" even if I'm still in the game and just want to go back one turn.
The problem persisted when I removed 4UC and all submods. I'm currently using VP 5-28.

Spoiler Screenshots :
CannotSave1.png
CannotSave2.png

I'm experiencing a technical issue with this mod.
Whenever I enable it, the game refuses to load any modded saves.
When I hover over the load button it says "Not all required mods are installed" even if I'm still in the game and just want to go back one turn.
The problem persisted when I removed 4UC and all submods. I'm currently using VP 5-28.

Yes I saw on my side. We had a similar problem at the very beginning of the mod creation, but it had been fixed. I'll see what we can do to fix this quickly.

Last edited:
V.2 online :
  • Save loading fixed
  • Add Dawn of Man speech by The Bearded Lady (thank you very much to her and pineappledan)
  • Add better Strategic View UnitFlags (courtesy of Astérix Rage)
  • Change modified UA text to make it more understandable (with help from Gizmoman)

Last edited:
Hi Gamezoid123,
Did you clear the cache before launch ?
Do you use other mods ?

1. No, I'll make sure to do that.
2. Oh yeah, I've got a lot of mods running with it. Do you know if there are any that interfere with it? I can give you a list if you'd like

1. No, I'll make sure to do that.
2. Oh yeah, I've got a lot of mods running with it. Do you know if there are any that interfere with it? I can give you a list if you'd like
Give your list, perhaps I can help but the to be sure, start a game with no other mods that Ainu and MUCfVP if you play with.

This civ is really fun to play. Going off of my first playthrough with them in a heavily modded game. I found the unique unit to be really fun to play with. Instead of the usual monument to scout and scout to monument plays I find myself pumping out the matangitono. The one you spawn with alongside your warrior makes clearing barb camps and wandering barbs much easier. And given that its so cheap, you end up with an army of matangitono that basically prevents barbs from ever harming you and makes your army score go up to threaten city states (not a play I did in my game but will definitely try). The few matangitono you get up to level 4 I settled near opponent civs, taking up good city spots from them and becoming walled bastions prventing them from getting anywhere till sailing. It also meant that I didn't have to construct settlers until late classical, allowing my city to pick up wonders and good buildings all the while growing bigger and bigger. It also changed up my settling, on top of forward settling I also settled as far as possible. My fourth city was across the continent, about as far away from my capital as possible and the boost to production allowed me to turn it into my second most populous city in my empire. The kotans are excellent improvements too, just boosting the food of my cities a lot. I could exploit my forest tiles much earlier and without as many improvements. It was easy getting a tile with 6+ food with some nice resources.

I haven't played around much with the 3rd and 4th unique components much but I can see how the yukar gathering will function. by the time it was unlocked my capital was 12+ population. I will still need to see how the matagi works but if they are like the matangitono then they will fit perfectly well. The unique promotion makes it hard for the AI to invade, never being able to heal their troops if pegged by a matangitono that turn. And spamming them constantly, one or two losses a turn is nothing especially built from unconnected frontline cities. On the offensive there will probably be issues. Maybe I'll try a game going full aggro with my units and see how that takes me.

Everything else in the mod, the write ups and the voiceover are above and beyond what I expected. Its absolutely excellent. Great care and love was put into this mod. The playstyle is fun and unique and I will definitely be keeping this mod in my lineup for the foreseeable future. Thank you!

I found the unique unit to be really fun to play with. Instead of the usual monument to scout and scout to monument plays I find myself pumping out the matangitono. The one you spawn with alongside your warrior makes clearing barb camps and wandering barbs much easier. And given that its so cheap, you end up with an army of matangitono that basically prevents barbs from ever harming you and makes your army score go up to threaten city states (not a play I did in my game but will definitely try). The few matangitono you get up to level 4 I settled near opponent civs, taking up good city spots from them and becoming walled bastions prventing them from getting anywhere till sailing. It also meant that I didn't have to construct settlers until late classical, allowing my city to pick up wonders and good buildings all the while growing bigger and bigger. It also changed up my settling, on top of forward settling I also settled as far as possible. My fourth city was across the continent, about as far away from my capital as possible and the boost to production allowed me to turn it into my second most populous city in my empire.

First of all, thank you for this feedback. I must admit that I use the Matangitono far less extensively as you do (mostly as a way to fight early barbarians, place 1 or 2 cities, and then as economic units for the Kotans, and later upgraded to Matagi), but it's always interesting to hear about a different approach : this unit is meant to be polyvalent, and so I'm all for using it in unique ways.

The kotans are excellent improvements too, just boosting the food of my cities a lot. I could exploit my forest tiles much earlier and without as many improvements. It was easy getting a tile with 6+ food with some nice resources.

That's the part of the kit I'm the most worried about. Do you feel like the yields are overtuned, or that the UI is too easy to place everywhere ?

On the offensive there will probably be issues. Maybe I'll try a game going full aggro with my units and see how that takes me.

Offense is really meant as a weak point for the civ (a way to compensate for their very strong early game and ability to forward settle) :
  • The anti-healing is far less impactful in enemy territory
  • The low base CS of most Ainu troops means that cities are a real threat to them
  • Archers usefulness can quickly be limited by the use of walls
I advise trying to secure strategic resources as quickly as possible when playing Authority. That way, you can build Horsemen and, most importantly, Swordsmen, that can compensate the lack of brute strength in the Ainu kit early on.

One objective that we wanted to attain when designing the kit was to make a polyvalent civ which plays differently while still being able to pick all three of the starting policy trees. Each has its own synergies with the Ainu kit (defense and ranged units for Tradition, compensation of gold and science weakness for Progress, synergy with the UA and quick expansion for Authority), so don't hesitate to explore. :thumbsup:

I haven't played around much with the 3rd and 4th unique components much but I can see how the yukar gathering will function.

A v.4 is almost finished in which the Yukar Gathering is replaced by something else (it's a surprise). If you want to try the 4UC version of the civ, I advise you to wait for a week or so (the current version works perfectly, it was more of a design problem).

Everything else in the mod, the write ups and the voiceover are above and beyond what I expected. Its absolutely excellent. Great care and love was put into this mod. The playstyle is fun and unique and I will definitely be keeping this mod in my lineup for the foreseeable future. Thank you!

It has been a big project in which gwennog and I learned a lot. As for Asterix Rage and Bearded Lady / pineappledan, their help is always an excellent addition to any mod. Thank you once again for this nice feedback. :hug:

Last edited:
V.3 online :
  • Kotan rework : base yields increased, now limited to tiles near water or Natural Wonder, adjacency bonuses removed (not malus), bonus happiness removed
  • Matagi rework : +1 base CS (21 instead of 20), Soul Liberation now gives the ability to attack again this turn instead of GWriter points
  • Yukar Gathering removed : replaced by Great Nispa (a GGeneral replacement)
  • The Great Nispa gives access to the Casi, a unique Citadel (3d model used with the approval of Leugi)
  • SQL and Lua cleannup by gwennog
  • New PromotionIcons for the Matagi by Astérix Rage
  • GameText cleannup and new by Hinin

Last edited:
V.4 online :
  • Fix for Casi adjacency interaction with Kotan
Savegame compatible (we think) : surely no problem before constructing the first Casi.

Last edited:
V.5 online :
  • Astérix Rage : New Promotion Icons for the Great Nispa and the Casi (thunderous applause) :hug:
  • gwennog : Matagi is given UNITAI_ATTACK to be used more aggressively (as a line unit) by the AI
  • Hinin : Update for the GameText (fix for Trapped) with some adjustements all around
Spoiler Promotion Icons Summary by Astérix Rage (v. 5) :

ainu_PI_256_01.png

With these, all PIs in the mod except Prowl and all UnitFlags are directly inspired by Ainu symbolism : :woohoo:
  • Ainu nationalist bow for Kerep-Noye and Wither
  • Ainu traditional arm tatoos for the Matagi promotions (Track, Ambushed, Soul Liberation)
  • Ainu chieftain clothes for the Great Nispa / Casi promotions (Guidance, Spirited, Trapped)
  • Ainu primordial symbols for UnitFlags (thx once again to JP and Astérix Rage) and the Foundation PI

Last edited:
V.6 online :
- Kotan rework by gwennog and Hinin after feedback from @Milae :
  • can no longer be constructed next to cities, but can be placed on resources (without improving them);
  • malus changed to -2 Culture / -1 Faith;
  • inflicts 5 damages to enemy units ending their turn next to it (like the Encampment / Kasbah);
  • Construction time reduced from 12 turns to 8 turns (to take into account the need to acquire 2nd ring tiles to place them)
- GameText changes and Diplomacy GameText additions by Hinin.

I'm actually quite happy with this iteration of the Kotan. It takes some time to use effectively, but in the end it feels much more unique, less spammable and more consistant. I hope you'll enjoy this version. Thank you to @Milae for the feedback. :)

Still it's quite the nerf, as a proper city could normally cover 2-3 initial kotans in the first ring. It's the first ring kotans that are the most important once to start with so removing them is harsh. But the main reason you don't get three kotans in the first ring is normally due to resources, mountains and water.

I'm not saying it's not strong. I have not failed to get a religion so far in any game (deity, marathon) with the mod, usually first or second one.

How about that it stops building kotans if a resource appears as you build it, but if already completed it doesn't stop working. Slightly annoying when that happens. Basically you have start and stop research so you can finish kotans before the tech completes, so one of the worst things that can happen is popping a hut and getting the wrong tech ...

Does sea resources still have the malus(es) on kotans? In some regard "hunting" (furs, deer, ivory, truffles, bison) and "fishing" (fish, whales, pearls, crab, coral) resources shouldn't have a malus on kotans at all. Should they? It's sort of counter to the idea or text about them. Malus improvements should probably be limited to mining, quarries, plantations, oil and great people improvements. I guess having a koton next to the city-core (ring0) should or could be a malus then to but it should be doable/buildable.

If it was possible I would almost wish that the kotan got more yields the further from the city it was. That way you could have them close but the yields would be worse then a kotan in ring3.

Beyond that the biggest issue I found so far is where to put my great people improvements, since they trigger the malus to. Same thing there, perhaps not all improvements should trigger the malus. A holy site for example is not the same as a manufactory, a citadel or a town etc.

That said I have had some fun games with it. The preferred start is something with a lot of mountains, as you can fairly quickly train your matans to be able to stand on top mountains and rain death inca style to any attackers. Also with goddess of nature that becomes fantastic. A good choke-point is really defensible, the AI is having a lot of issues with the kotans and don't quite want to commit to the attack so you can usually hold of gigantic armies (thanks to milaes mod) with just a few units.

Just to elaborate, or add, some on the previous comment. Lumber yards (etc) should probably be a malus to since they are industrial scale forestry/woodchoping.
The archeology improvement I'm not sure about if it should malus or not, I'm inclined to say not since it's sort of an historical relic of some kind that is dug up or put in order.
Holy sites could technically be anything, it could be a cave, a lake, a waterfall, a glen or a hot spring. Which would all be nice things to a animist or nature people culture. So they should probably not incur a malus for the kotan either.

Still it's quite the nerf, as a proper city could normally cover 2-3 initial kotans in the first ring. It's the first ring kotans that are the most important once to start with so removing them is harsh. But the main reason you don't get three kotans in the first ring is normally due to resources, mountains and water.

I agree that it's a harsh nerf for the very early game. That said, with good city placement and mindful planning, you can place around 4 or 5 good Kotans per city, and a lot more freely than before (when a sheep could ruin a previously good spot). All three starting policy trees have ways to expand their territory efficiently (the culture of the Kotans + border growth cost reduction from Tradition and Authority on one hand ; a lot of gold from Progress that allows you to buy important tiles), and starting the medieval era there is usually no problem expanding into the second and third ring.

I'm not saying it's not strong. I have not failed to get a religion so far in any game (deity, marathon) with the mod, usually first or second one.

This rework is actually also a way to nerf the Ainu religious game a bit : this civ, without religion, suffers a lot, but I still don't want it to have "guaranted religion".

How about that it stops building kotans if a resource appears as you build it, but if already completed it doesn't stop working. Slightly annoying when that happens. Basically you have start and stop research so you can finish kotans before the tech completes, so one of the worst things that can happen is popping a hut and getting the wrong tech ...

That's already the case : a Kotan built on a tile with a resource appearing later on it will still work in v.5 (see milae's video on the Ainus, where he purposefully avoid researching mining to later have Stone under a Kotan). That's something that I find janky in design, thus I decided that having the ability to freely put Kotans on resource (without improving them) was a good thing to implement (similar to the Polynesian Moai : the placement is so important that you cannot allow some random resource to dictate it).

Does sea resources still have the malus(es) on kotans? In some regard "hunting" (furs, deer, ivory, truffles, bison) and "fishing" (fish, whales, pearls, crab, coral) resources shouldn't have a malus on kotans at all. Should they? It's sort of counter to the idea or text about them. Malus improvements should probably be limited to mining, quarries, plantations, oil and great people improvements. I guess having a koton next to the city-core (ring0) should or could be a malus then to but it should be doable/buildable.
Beyond that the biggest issue I found so far is where to put my great people improvements, since they trigger the malus to. Same thing there, perhaps not all improvements should trigger the malus. A holy site for example is not the same as a manufactory, a citadel or a town etc.

The main problem I have with this concept is that the Kotan is already very complex. A lot of thinking was made to simplify it after v.2 so that it isn't a wall of text for a civ that is already a bit overdesigned. I purposefuly chose to broaden the effect of the malus to all non-road improvement in order to keep things clear, and I don't intend to change it for now.

As for the thematic reasoning behind the malus to Fishing boats and Camps, I personally think it's more a matter of scale : to me, these improvements reflects the deliberate exploitation of a resource beyond it's natural utilisation by local populations (itself symbolized by the base yield boost of the resource without improvement). The Ainus, being sedentary hunter-gatherers, have been obliged to be mindful of any use of their resources as a matter of survival and inter-clan diplomacy : if they exploited something too much and thus had to go beyond their assigned hunting ground, it could either mean war with other clans or loss of political independence. The Hokkaido Ainus only began exploiting their resource in a less conservative way after the Japanese presence and trade unbalanced the island ecosystem, and so clans had to focus on more destructive forms of hunting (focus on specific species for economic reasons or because their previous source of food dwindled) that in the end only accelerated their decline : Shakushain and his war are products of this period, and the whole Ainu lifestyle became difficult to sustain afterwards.

Once again, my main advice here is planning : you don't have to put Kotan everywhere, so don't hesitate to reserve some space for your GPTI or luxury/strategic resource improvements.

Also, later into the game, yields other than culture and faith become good enough that you can consider surrounding some Kotan with improvements (mines for example) : a Kotan on a forest, with Rationalism and Freedom, will produce a lot of yields, surrounded or not by improvements.

If it was possible I would almost wish that the kotan got more yields the further from the city it was. That way you could have them close but the yields would be worse then a kotan in ring3.

Currently, Kotan placement is largely dictated by Lua, calculating each time a Matangitono or a Worker moves if a Kotan can be placed here. If we add something related to placement relative to nearby cities, it would be a big charge (needed every turn for every Kotan). The idea itself in interesting in term of design, but the code of the game isn't adapted for something like that.

Thank you very much for the feedback. :) Don't hesitate to develop further or show a photojournal of one of your game if you want. I disagreed with you this time, but I'm always open to ideas.

Last edited:
Currently, Kotan placement is largely dictated by Lua, calculating each time a Matangitono or a Worker moves if a Kotan can be placed here. If we add something related to placement relative to nearby cities, it would be a big charge (needed every turn for every Kotan). The idea itself in interesting in term of design, but the code of the game isn't adapted for something like that.

I was thinking a bit about this. Couldn't you sort of fake this a bit, as there is now there is code for allowing or not allowing something based on distance from the city or distance to and from various objects, such as petra needs to have desert, nature counts mountains in range 2/3, water mill requires a river etc. Would it be possible to have three different kotans, all called the same and look the same but give different yields depending then if it was kotan1 kotan2 or kotan3 (number being range from the city). That way you might not have to recalculate so many things? Just see which ring it is in and if it can be built in the spot and then build it? Not sure if this would work or be possible but perhaps it could be a workaround.

Top Bottom