G-Major 20

@ Sun Tzu Wu; thanks, much appreciated

Just under 3 days to go to finish my game before submission close-off. I think I have about 180 turns to play.

I'm on track for 360-370 FT's.

Turns are still going slow becuase I plan on keeping the remaining 4 AI alive to capture their cities on the last turn for a big pop boost. Most of their cities are well over size 10, but they all have assembly line and oil within their borders that I need to lock down.

So I have 180 turns of wars, pillaging and positioning troops ahead of me! Takes so much time, but I've played this far so may as well go for the biggest score I can get.

Well Harbourboy, at least now I know what a stealth bomber is ;)

Submitted another game!
This time no errors in picking up the wrong save or whatever happened to my previous one (i hope).

It started definitely not as good like the wrong submitted one, but it finished with a slighly better score: 19.030 perhaps.
Nor far as good as the crippled one by my greed of good cities/wonders (i abandoned it before the final phase).
But i better managed the final, researching OVER 1 FT/turn, and burning 3 GPs when at disposal for LB one more, and i made good use of cereal mills, ending with FT 340 or so.
I left 2AIs:
- Asoka, that was the tech leader (i can't explain why) far better even of Mansa, i razed all his core with the buddhist shrine and Sistine, and he never recovered.
- Mehmed, which i bribed against Asoka before attack him, and gave me an help to keep my borders inside the limit.
He managed to begin researching FT, but he built only some SS parts, no trouble.
- Victoria (warrior rushed, out)
- Lincoln (far away, but close to stone, chariot rushed, crippled and finished later)
- Mansa (second victim - cossack+rifles)
- Van Orange (third - gunship+tanks together with Lincoln)
- Hatty (fifth, after the crippling of Asoka)
- Washington (last, i kept the wonderful capital with GW, and this was my main concern for the limit, luckily Mehmed helped).

No final rush, too much RL time requested.

I made almost no use of espionage, but i've learnt that it's better build a security bureau in every city to avoid surprises.

edit:
this one was accepted, and i'm third, for now.
edit2:
dammit, 4th out of 16, for now.

What time is the (safe) deadline for this gauntlet? It might be 12:00 UTC (GMT) on Feb. 10th, but I'm not sure. In other words, what is the time of the earliest possible update?

I know that games for the gauntlet may be accepted beyond this deadline as long as it is before the time of the actual update.

Thanks,

Sun Tzu Wu

Managed to reclaim 2nd place with my Justinian game, 20,860 points (25,876 in game). Would have been higher but with 15 turns left, Napolean and Sitting Bull his vassal DOWed me and with an impressive naval and aerial assault managed to pillage some of my seafood, causing Sid's Sushi to go from +15 food to +9 (I was importing 4-5 resources from them as well), most of my cities dropped in pop before I could recover the resources and I lost hundreds of points. I had literally triple his power so was not expecting him to declare on me.

Got to Future Tech 330. Had plenty of 40+ cities but ended up with only 4. Built all wonders except Sistine Chapel (as I was skirting with a cultural win I avoided capturing it). No cheesy city capturing last turn. Ended on 59.98% land area (and 72,119 culture in third city).

Finally finished my first and only attempt.

Got 24200 points.

372 FT's and lots of population.

I spent about twice the time I should have on the game because I chose to keep 3 AI's alive with reasonably sized cities that I could capture on the last turn for a points boost of around 10%.

Waaaaay too long, 28 hours! and I built 400 gunships :crazyeye:

Waiting in hope now for game to be accepted.

Well, my first game was rejected, first time I've gotten a rejection that wasn't almost immediately resolved. I am thinking of two things that caused it.

I usually played in a Windowed mode so I could take a break, check the forums etc. Well, once when I was closing an advisors window, for some reason, my mouse went to the close box for the game and not the exit for the window. This seems to quit the game without saving a file even though you have that option checked. I guess I'll have to play all HOF games full screen from now on

Also, since they said i had more than one instance, I guess I must have reloaded an older game on one of my sessions. I was moving saved games around when I was researching the domination/time victory bug, and it would have been easy to choose the wrong one, possibly a Jan instead of a Jul save for instance.

So my first game was rejected, and I just submitted the second, hopefully on time. I didn't have time to play it right, the last 300 turns or so were, put everything to sleep and just click on next turn. I managed to get around 340 future techs, but didn't even get all the wonders, and there were still 7 civs around, so my score wasn't all that good. But I needed some kind of score to get my first G-Major done.

I ended up with Domination on the last turn as Elizabeth.

The score was 22,473, but I slightly exceeded the Domination limit, like 60.7%. Two newly conquered cities recovered from anarchy, they did not even pop the borders yet, but oops. I guess I was too greedy, I should have razed those small ones that recover fast.

I got 382 FTs, 18 bulbed with GP. I had 31 Scientists and 6 other GPs.

It was fun game, though. Did you know that you can make a civ friendly with you by capturing most of their cities, and then liberating them at once? You get -3 "you declared war on us" and something like +21 "you liberated our cities".

Cultural Victory in 2042, thanks to corporations.
What a stupid$"%&§$%&(§$E:rolleyes:
Did you use Sushi?

I found it's a lot better to use Cereal Inc. It does not generate culture, and besides it provides more food. This time I spread Sushi to the AIs, and traded my seafood for Wheat, Corn and metals.

Finally got one that I had a chance of winning, and the turns end up taking over 5 minutes each, usually 10 -- still something like 300 turns to go. :( And I thought upgrading from 512MB to a gig would help. :crazyeye:

It will be interesting to see in a couple of weeks how the points stack up. Not missing anything by not playing the current major.

I finally had time to go back and play with my submitted file that gives a Duel Settler game with two turns to go. It is a good file to test with as you can achieve a Domination or Conquest victory with 2 turns to go, or you can fullfill one or both conditions on the last turn, which should be a Time Victory.

To minimize the variables I only did the possible domination win, I left the single AI city alone. I settled enough cities to get the domination win 4 different times, leaving different settlers alone, but always making sure each unit was either sleeping, so the end of turn button was red. I got a Time Victory every time.

Then I tried doing the same, but this time I woke up multiple units then left them alone. I settle enough units to get the domination win exactly as earlier. This time the end of turn button was green though when I pressed it. This time.. about 1/2 of the time, I got a Domination win, the other 1/2 a Time win. So the bug is somewhat repeatable. It might differ on which units I leave awake.

I was going to repost the file here, but apparently it has been affected by the recent hacking, and they have easy upload disabled at the present time. I'll upload it as soon as I can and post the link

Anyway, this is a serious bug for anyone doing a Time victory. Especially after you spend days/weeks on a game. Leaving units 'hanging' so the end of turn button is green may not be the only way to get this bug to occur but it is ONE way. Where do we go from here? I would be glad to do more work narrowing down the bug, but don't want to waste my time if no one is going to fix it.

Where do we go from here? I would be glad to do more work narrowing down the bug, but don't want to waste my time if no one is going to fix it.

With the rumored patch, this isn't something we wish to spend time on until after the patch is released in the hopes that we don't have to fix it. ;)

Top Bottom