G-Major 21

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Deity
    [*]Starting Era: Modern
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Lakes
  • Speed: Quick
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.74.002, 2.13.002 or 3.13.001
  • Date: 25th January to 25th February 2008
Must not play as Inca.

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Wow. This is going to be worth lots of QM points :D Definitely going to try to submit a game. I need to see how many turns there are at quick from a modern start first.

Yikes, deity, quick, conquest, count me out!

Modern = Riflemen i assume. aprox 150 turns...seems doable but i dont play many advanced start games and none this far ahead...

Modern = Riflemen i assume. aprox 150 turns...seems doable but i dont play many advanced start games and none this far ahead...

I realize what you meant, but just to be clear, we don't allow Advanced Start games (a BTS feature). The game is started in an advanced era, but the option Advanced Start cannot be checked.

I think the best will be Warlords (for Vassalage) - not BtS, cause AI became better indeed - oil&iron&coal at the start with enough wood. Fred seems optimal.

I think the best will be Warlords (for Vassalage) - not BtS, cause AI became better indeed - oil&iron&coal at the start with enough wood. Fred seems optimal.

I'm wondering if the problem will be defeating them before space launch. In that case BTS gives you a little more time.

Look like I'm going to see a lot of German's Panda in action. Is it Panda or Panzerkampfwagen? Anyway, I will be playing as Frederick.

Ok, I just had a quick OCC game. It's much easier than I thought. As mentioned previously, I went with Germany. Regenerated the map until I found oil. First order of business, chopped factory+powerplant+barracks+stable. I couldn't believe it...my capital at size 8 can easily produce 1 brand new panza per turn.

I'm wondering if the problem will be defeating them before space launch
With no towns/academies/oxfords to start with - unlikely

Moonsinger, why OCC (Oxford? Globe?) and stable?

Edit: sorry, got it - Ironworks requires 6 forges. Still, with 3 decent cities and having a total bonus of +100% with forge, assembly and coal plant and in capital extra +50% with Bureau at the start, extra hammers from early IW may not compensate the difference.

sorry, i'm a noob, but what's a OCC game?

No problem and welcome to CIV and HoF. OCC = One City Challenge. It means you can only build one city, but that city can have unlimited National Wonders in it, and as Lexad noted you only need 1 prerequisite building for the Wonders that require a pre-requisite. Very useful for certain situations, or if you dislike long games.

@Lexad - I don't think it's ironworks. She didn't build it (at least initially, according to her queue), and she might not have had iron/coal, esp since she had oil. And when she gets a Lvl 4 unit she can build HE for same +100% on units, so why does she need ironworks on OCC if she can already roll out panzers in 1 turn w/out it? Plus it's got +2:yuck: to overcome.

EDIT: Might not be able to build HE on Modern start. Will check tonight.

I think it's maintenance. OCC means at least ~5 more tanks you can have in the field initially. That's the 2nd army going left.

HeroEpic is only Renaissance or earlier starts. I think it's IW.

Another good starter would be Asoka - Spiritual helps when moving between civics, fast workers on Quick show their best, and Organized gives you the cheap factories. And I do not expect seeing tons of enemy tanks around for Panzer to shine.

she might not have had iron/coal
Then she won't be able to build coal plant and railroads, which wasn't the case.

Moonsinger, why OCC (Oxford? Globe?) and stable?

The OCC was left over from my previous game. I forgot to uncheck it. Beside, I was just testing the water.

The stable costs me only 1 turn to build and it allows me to build a medic-cavalry. Trust me! This 1 extra turn will save you at least a dozen turns later because without the medic, it will take almost twice as long to heal your panza.

Edit: sorry, got it - Ironworks requires 6 forges. Still, with 3 decent cities and having a total bonus of +100% with forge, assembly and coal plant and in capital extra +50% with Bureau at the start, extra hammers from early IW may not compensate the difference.

Anyway, I just restart new game playing as Bismarck. Frederick is no good. I realize now that health bonus is important. Anyway, my Capital with Bureau (at size > 8; with assembly line and nuclear reactor) can produce 1 panza per turn. Later on, my second city with iron work+assembly line+nuclear reactor can also produce 1 new panza per turn. My third city can roll out 1 panza in every 2 or 3 turns.

FYI, the AI can easily finish all 5 SS Casings by 1780AD.

Good points. Kind of silly to be Germany w/out coal for the assembly plant. So on vanilla I will follow your suggestion but play Ghandi instead as Org will not help Factory but Ind will help forge. And I need India for QM.

Still not sure about ironworks though - she didn't list a forge in the queue... Maybe it came later.

Forge is given from the start.

MS, thanks for your response! This Gauntlet might be interesting enough to give a try.

As for stable and medic cav - you can get a medic panzer under Vassalage.

To those of you that don't usually play as deity, have no fear! This gaunlet is really a like walk on the park. Hint: turn off research because you don't need it; also set your culture to at least 30% to increase happiness. If you can get at least 1 of your 3 starting cities to produce 1 panza per turn, you would have enough troops to outrun the AI. Most AIs are busy with research and building spaceship; they usually defend their city with infantries and rocketmans. They are really no match for panza.

The following are screen shots of my capital and 2nd city:

Attachments

• Major21ScreenShot0000.jpg
    Major21ScreenShot0000.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Major21ScreenShot0001.jpg
    Major21ScreenShot0001.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 172
Nice. However, my gut feeling tells me those forests would've been better marching towards enemy :) And I plan to get cities of a lesser size. However, still need to make those plans realize.

Learning there's little tanks reinforced my decision to try Asoka.

Nice. However, my gut feeling tells me those forests would've been better marching towards enemy :) And I plan to get cities of a lesser size. However, still need to make those plans realize.

Well, since my city can build 1 panza per turn, I see no need to chop down those forests. Beside, I'm an environmentalist and those forests bring extra happiness to my people.

Top Bottom