1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor 18

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Methos, May 11, 2007.

1. Warpoo

Warpoo Chieftain

i didnt start out with copper and the UU sucks. One axeman will own 10 of those things. But i always finish my games and i won at 1576 :((

1st one submitted. lol

2. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

The big difference is not Rome. It's Normal speed vs marathon. I'm sure the 250 BC game was marathon.

@playshogi: why Masonry?

3. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

The big difference is the fact that this map is oasis.

4. WastinTime

Yes, Oasis is much larger than Great Plains. It also starts you in the south and the south has no horses. So, it's tough to cross this map with Jags or Axemen, etc.

5. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

You're allowed to position yourself in the north by assigning yourself teamnumber 2 (or 4 or 6) right?

6. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

That's allowable.

7. WastinTime

Yea, I was saving that trick in case horses are the only way to go. I'm thinking horse units will make for faster finish dates than Jags. I don't really want to waste time on those water squares though.

8. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Well I'm not going to beat 1575 finish, that's for sure. I've only wiped out 2 and a half rivals by 1510, well on course to finish it though. I didn't hand pick my opponents (just random ones) which would have been a good idea, taking out Tokugawa with his protective longbows in hill cities is a bit painful. I'm just taking it slowly for my first ever Oasis map. I still think I'll get my best domination time this game though since I've been going for it from 4000BC and I normally play continents or fractal so I don't need to do an overseas invasion. I've only won 4 domination games before though.

I noticed you are allowed to have cylindrical world wrap on... presumably that would make it harder though since you don't have a corner to defend easier.

9. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

How do you get it to do that? Mine keeps changing it back to team1 when I launch.

10. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

you're supposed to try for domination, denniz, not a spaceship launch :crazyeye:!

but yeah, i can't get it to work either. i set myself to 2, and i change the AI that was going to be team 2 to team 1 instead, but it puts me in the south every time.

11. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Ah, but I am trying the more difficult spaceship/domination combination win. :mischief:

12. Thrallia

Thrallia Prodigal Staffer GOTM Staff

We can have worldwrap on? That would be very handy for this game...it'd allow me to attack on two different fronts.

I think I'll finish this game I'm working on just to finish it...it won't be winning any awards though...it depends on whether or not I can get the RNG to stop allowing Hannibal's rifles to kill off my highly promoted grenadiers!!!

My next game I'll attempt to put myself in the north, I'll turn on worldwrap, and I'll declare war on every civ I meet with a warrior, and park him right outside their capital...that kept the Indians in check in this game, perhaps it'll allow me to take the AIs out at will.

13. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Yes, it was decided to allow a few additional map settings that weren't allowed previously, as stated in the HoF Rules.

14. AnitaGaribaldi

AnitaGaribaldi Warlord

I'm giving this Gaulet one try. It's hard to get good dates for the Major or Minor, it's impossible for me get good dates for both. :mischief: This gaulet is a good excuse to play with Warlords. I got it just last week, I have to play one game. Only one game and then I get back to the major. Warlords is new for me but Noble is easy.

15. thip

thip Chieftain

Jags are definately fun to play with. But I keep expanding too qiuckly and end up having units disbanded as I run out of money...lol.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Deity

This is a good gauntlet because at least I can be pretty sure of getting a victory. The Oasis map is interesting though.

17. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

Anyone try building barracks and giving your Jags Woodsman II for mobility? Do some AI build fewer archers than others? I brought 5 Jags across the map to face Brennus and was surprised by 5 archers and a warrior in the city. I was expecting only 2. Maybe, in 1.61 it would have been just 2, but not in Warlords.

18. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Still slowly working my way to a slow win, I reckon it'll be around 1800AD for my game. Japan has been destroyed next up is either Brennus or Huayna Capac. Capac has just declared war on my friend Frederick and is nearest and largest (but not near to my Japan destroying stack of catapults and elephants) so he's probably next. 1610AD at the moment, I'll be first to Liberalism next turn, my research is starting to creep up again, it's been at 30% most of the game so far, but I've just traded for banking so soon I'll be in the money. A good move was capturing the pyramids from Cyrus to run police state when monarchy just isn't good enough to combat war weariness.

19. Warpoo

Warpoo Chieftain

Just think if it was one axeman, it would have killed your entire force. Jags sucks. :mad:

20. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

does this happen to anyone, I am not getting bronze, horse or iron anywhere close to my starting place.