G-Minor 18

But why does the required percentage keep changing during the game?

I'm not positive, but I believe the required percentage is also based off the # of civs in the game. This number continues to change as you destroy civs. In other words, totally destroying a civ increases the % amount required for a domination victory.

For you dom experts out there, is that correct?

Back to my game methinks, should only be an hour or two to finish I reckon.

I'm not positive, but I believe the required percentage is also based off the # of civs in the game. This number continues to change as you destroy civs. In other words, totally destroying a civ increases the % amount required for a domination victory.

For you dom experts out there, is that correct?

The population % changes and I'm not sure of the formula.
The land % is based on the # of opponents you start with, not the map size, so destroying them doesn't change it. I played max opponents and only needed to get 56% land instead of 64% :D

I find that by the time you have the required land, you have no problem hitting the population %, so just ignore it.

hm...8% less land is a good deal of land I wouldn't need to conquer. In my current game, I'm at 48%...if I only needed 56% then all I'd need to do is vassalize Hannibal and I'd have it. Instead, I'm gonna have to vassalize Hannibal and then spam settlers, hoping that Mansa doesn't sneak a bunch of them in while I'm distracted.

What's the maximum # of civs you can use on a standard map?

edit: Found out, you can have up to 10 opponents on a standard size map...since I'm planning on conquering people, I think that may actually make it easier anyway...since that makes the AI compete with each other while I wipe them out :D

I've been told they can...however, you can tell your vassal what to research...so you can make him research stuff that won't help him with his spaceship.

to do that, just go to let's discuss something else, then say we'd like you to research...then tell him what you want him to go for! :)

Hmm, I'd better just hurry up and knock over Genghis to try and get this land percentage up. Before long, Mansa will run out of non-space things to research. If I need to stop him somehow, can I declare war on my own vassal?

Actually, I don't understand how he became my vassal. He has the most advanced technologies and the biggest army. He's really the most powerful civilisation, and the one in the best position to win as he could theoretically launch his spaceship within 50 turns if he really tried. I thought only puny civs could become vassals?

Can your vassal win a Space Race from under your feet? Mansa is my vassal but he is also busy building his SS Casings.

We did a SG over at DM that had us locked as vassals to Roosevelt the whole game and we won by space shipping, so yes vassals can win the game this way.

Its part of why I think vassals doesn't work properly. It should be a sort of involuntary (on the part of the vassal) permanent alliance.

I got drunk and bored when it was obvious I was going to win so just built culture and units with no moving of armies. So, 1970 win, could have been much earlier if I was bothered. Nice game though. I'll submit now.

I finished my first war against Napoleon. I haven't killed him, but I took Paris full of wonders including Spiral Miranet and Pyramids. :) I'll have horses soon. No one has education, I think I'll try to get Military tradition as free tech. I'm slow. Napoleon is very weak and another AI is dead, thanks to the barbs. I'm playing with Raging Barbs. It was fun to see the AI dealing with storms of Axmen/Swordmen and my cities protected with the Great Wall. :mischief:

In my game, Shaka Zulu has all the wonders. Is this normal? I thought he was some sort of aggressive warmonger, not a builder.

I finished one game with these settings for the domination win in 1725. It's probably hundreds of years after the best time but I have been taking a break from Civ.

What I did was the MC slingshot for the GE to rush the Pyramids. After that I ran a hybrid CE/SE economy. My first target was to the north for horses then directly to the east for ivory. I teched up to feudalism early to enable vassalage. All but one of AI capitualated. Toward the end I used Universal Sufferage to rush buy settlers to fill in the gaps.

My late game army was made up of mostly calvary and cannons. I probably would have been ok with just the calvary because the AI just had longbows for most of the game. A few of them did have a lot of cultural defense though.

I agree, like I said I got bored and just maxed culture until I won when it was obvious I was going to. Still no rivals for slowest win yet though!

I had so many workers I used them as fogbusters!

I've just started the WOTM9 game, much more interesting.

I think I could rival your 1970 win. I'm only 6 turns away and no real chance of finding 14% of land in 6 turns - although I still have to actually win . . . and make sure my game is accepted.

I think this map is made for conquest rather than domination. It was interesting up to the point when it was obvious I was going to win (about 1820 ish), then I lost interest and was very very drunk indeed. I knew I wasn't going to beat the 1575 win (wow, by the way), with my first attempt at an Oasis map, but I think Noble is easy anyway, struggling a bit on Prince. The WOTM9 is looking like another win though, that's Prince too, with raging barbs (I built the Great Wall and popped an engineer for the Pyramids so I think it is in the bag).

EDIT: I lost interest as soon as I hit the population limit and was warned about the domination limit. I just built the best units I could every time it asked what I wanted to build and didn't micro manage at all, it was doing my head in. It was a bit scary seeing artillery around and hitting enter all the time, but I got the win, 1970 as you say. It could easily have been 1850-1870 if I could have been bothered.

I just submitted a 1580AD. It could/should have been much better. I staked out what I thought was enough territory, planted my settlers only to discover I was short. I had to go back to war long after my tech advantage had expired. It took forever. I guess I will have to try again. :(

Top Bottom