G-Minor 18

My first try I only teched Bronze, IronW. This time I went for Alphabet, (trade for Bronze, etc), IW, Currency, Code of Laws and then stopped.

So you went straight for ABC? Very clever. :) Im guessing you conquered them with horses? And one last question did you mapfind until you had a capital with gems or gold?

Finally finished in 2026AD. What a mission. I hope the game is accepted this time. How it is humanly possible to win by 720AD is beyond me.

You could probably just do a not stop jag rush ignoring city maintenance cost. Essentially, you only build a few cities besides the capital, tech up to jags and never stop building them except to build settlers and workers. The AI isn't designed to deal with that type of unrelenting onslaught. The designers put in the high maintenance cost to help work against this type of strategy. It just fails to stop it completely.

So you went straight for ABC? Very clever. :) Im guessing you conquered them with horses? And one last question did you mapfind until you had a capital with gems or gold?

I start in the south and only attack a couple of close neighbors, so no horses. I don't want to tech to horsebackriding anyway. Jags are fine. That way I don't have to find copper or iron and waste worker time hooking those up.

I did run mapfinder and picked a gem, gem, fur, deer start (since you start with hunting) Naturally I grabbed mining before the beeline to ABC.

ou could probably just do a not stop jag rush ignoring city maintenance cost. Essentially, you only build a few cities besides the capital, tech up to jags and never stop building them except to build settlers and workers. The AI isn't designed to deal with that type of unrelenting onslaught. The designers put in the high maintenance cost to help work against this type of strategy. It just fails to stop it completely.

But jaguars are hopeless against longbows and 80% culture barriers. All that happens is that you die and give the enemy a hundred promotions.

But jaguars are hopeless against longbows and 80% culture barriers. All that happens is that you die and give the enemy a hundred promotions.

The idea is to capture enough of their cities before they get longbows and lots of defense.

Well I'm even prouder of my (now non-last place! Thanks Harbourboy!) finish, didn't use mapfinder, random AIs, never played an Oasis map before or even looked at one, just read the map guide here on the forum. And Tokugawa was a pain to finish off with his protective longbows. And I got bored and just hit enter for the last 60 turns and watched artillery moping about when all I had was cannons and infantry. I award myself a virtual slap on the back and a kiss from some sort of hot babe I reckon.

Yeah but it was fun anyway, I settled the desert early on (great GP farm and commerce city) which was probably a mistake. I'm not going to put myself through it again, at least I have a minor in the bag and a new civ, and map type. It's only my third win on Warlords (domination on Noble once before this challenge, Space race on Prince - my first win on Prince level! and now this). Far too many cities for how I normally play. I've become to like warmongering early though! Harbourboy, you should award yourself at least a pat on the back and a hug if not a kiss from a virtual hot chick.

But there is so much land - you (or at least I) can't take over everyone before they get longbows and lots of defense.

It helps to patiently wait on the MapFinder to generate an awesome start and to selectively pick the weakest opponents. Even then you have to do some calculations to know exactly how many tiles you need for the land component of the domination win. After you get enough land, getting enough population is easy.

If you have enough of them, Jaguars you can take down longbows. You might need catapults if they start producing macemen or have high cultural defenses.

Just so I know, who would you consider the weakest leaders? I'm guessing Gandhi (peacenik), and Civs with late UUs (such as America, France maybe, Germany, and England perhaps?)

Just so I know, who would you consider the weakest leaders? I'm guessing Gandhi (peacenik), and Civs with late UUs (such as America, France maybe, Germany, and England perhaps?)

The weakest are:

a) Not Aggressive
b) Not Creative (culture defense)
c) Not Mansa (UU)
d) Not Caesar (UU)

Seems like Mao and Peter get selected a lot to get beat up on.
Gandhi is not so easy because he'll get a religion very quickly and that's more culture defense.

I'm sure I forgot another criteria...

I always seem to beat up Isabella, she declares war on me then suicides all her units because I have heathenism. Although Peter was pretty easy too in my current game. Mao is protective is he not? Again, from my current game with Qin that wasn't a problem since he had no longbows but I guess you need to act quickly like I did to finish him off.

It helps to patiently wait on the MapFinder to generate an awesome start and to selectively pick the weakest opponents.

I never do either of those things. I always go random start and random opponents.

Protective is a pain, but I too go random opponents/random starts.

Harbourboy, the way WastinTime finished so fast was by igoring all the northern civs, he conquered the southern ones and then spammed settlers, nothing else. It works if you have 10 opponents because you only need to conquer half the map.

I never do either of those things. I always go random start and random opponents.

Neither do I when just playing a non-competition game. Those are the kinds of tricks that result in record breaking games, which is good for playing in the HOF.

Edit: Just finished another one, 1585 AD. This time I used the MapFinder to get a 2gem start with lots of food and river tiles. I must have not done it right though because at the end there was a lot of unspent gold. None of my workers or settlers were disbanded at the end. This time I didn't have the Pyramids and I got beat to the Oracle by 2 turns. For opponents I went with Elizabeth, Isabella, Bismark, Qin, Mansa and Roosevelt. Qin built the mids which was just out of my reach before victory.

Neither do I when just playing a non-competition game. Those are the kinds of tricks that result in record breaking games, which is good for playing in the HOF.

A "mapfinder" start is not needed in this one. I didn't use it on my first game. Yea, you should have one food and one fur at least, but any start could go sub 1000 AD. Same goes for random opponents. Hand picking them doesn't make much difference, but that's part of the fun! The strategy of knowing which ones to pick, and which of those you want to beat up on. That way, when you do have a random set of opponents, you know which ones to take out or leave alone.

Most gauntlets let you pick your leader, you don't use random on that right? Seems like you should to fit the spirit of that style of play.

You also pick your map and sea level, mountain ranges, etc. (on some gauntlets).

One of my first maps came up with a HoF warning. Apparently I mistakenly put in two Bismarks. The bad thing was, I was sitting on two grass gems. My next map wasn't too good, but I only wanted to try something out, so I ran with it. Got up to IW and built a few jags and sent them to visit Nappy. I didn't expect to win, I just wanted to try them out against a couple of archers. Both my jags were toast.

As expected I started in the south, with absolutely no copper or iron around. This is a good thing, since I don't need them and I prefer my neighbors not having them either. A lot of grass though and jungle. I can't recall whether I had tropical or temperate on, so that was probably my problem.

I think for my next attempt I'll start off with just my capitol and a production city, tech up to CoL while pounding out the jags. Once I have Caste System than I'll start my move on my neighbors. I'm not very good at domination, so this game will be a learning experience for me.

Bah, I'm not doing very good at this gauntlet. I keep making stupid mistakes. Here, let's name a few:
  • Stonehenge: I was thinking it would allow me to pop my borders quicker, only to finish it just prior to completing CoL. That was a waste of :hammers:.
  • 3rd City: I should have stuck with only two cities, prior to going to war. The third city wasn't productive in time for my first two wars.
  • First Japanese War: Talk about foolish. I went after Toku hoping to take his capitol. Right off the bat I knew I was going to fail, so after losing just one jag, I left the capitol alone. One of his cities I ended up autorazing and the other was, well, I'm not really for sure. I hit it with two jags and it had two archers. I killed one archer and lost a jag. Apparently during the IBT Toku managed to complete an archer as not only did he gain it, but he used it to take out my wounded jag. That sucks, as I had that city the next turn! In other words, I razed one city, lost a bunch of units, and gained nothing.
  • Second Japanese War: Much better (partly). I took Toku's capitol plus two other cities. I held the war just long enough to complete Feudalism so I could gain him as a vassal, but he wouldn't do it. Ended up just signing for peace. Oh, the partly remark, yeah, let me explain. Toku had an archer near my third city (yeah, the one I shouldn't have built) just north of the hills and river. Not wanting his archer to gain higher ground, I moved a jag onto the desert hill. This had me on a hill with the river between us. Toky moved SW putting him W of my jag (on a desert tile) and NW of my city. Easy pickings, so I whomped the archer only to find out afterward Toku had a warrior too. Whoops, my third now undefended city just got captured. I took it back the next turn, but still, what a mistake!

I'm currently in the early AD's and things aren't looking very good. I've got six cities now and could probably expand more, but I'll have a very late date. I'm tempted to scrap this one and go back to the Major. Well.....maybe just a couple more turns.

I'm not very good at domination games, so what are you all doing? I know what WastinTime is doing and I was attempting to do that too. The problem is, I first need to get the early part of my game better. :blush:

Top Bottom