G-Minor 18

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+2](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Noble
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Oasis
  • Speed: Normal
  • Civ: Montezuma
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.61.011 or 2.08.004
  • Date: 10th to 24th May 2007
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Excellent, I'll give this a go. I've never played an oasis map before either, I'm guessing not many forests or jungles. I can normally win on Noble with domination, probably around 1970 though so I won't get in any leaderboards. I'm also thinking there won't be any coast on an oasis map and is the map the same size as the continents standard size map? That sounds like a lot of land in that case.

I've never played great plains either (continents or fractal for me). So is it still like 64&#37; land area to win? I'm thinking my mighty catapults and axemen will be able to win anyway, and jaguars will be largely a waste of time with their 5 strength.

its still about 64&#37; land area...but there's a heck of a lot more land area to cover because there are no oceans to take tiles away from the domination limit.

As I thought. Sounds interesting. I'll start as soon as I sober up tomorrow morning! Code of laws for confucianism and sacrificial altars sounds like the way to go.

Just about everything in this G-Minor represents a gap in my Quattromaster table (I need Montezuma, Noble, AND Oasis) so I'm pretty happy that I won't have to diverge from that to give this a go.

oasis map eh, anyone can give a detail description of what that map is like?

oasis map eh, anyone can give a detail description of what that map is like?

this page gives information about most of the map types in the game, and what to expect from them.

when first playing one of the "resources and exact layout varies, but basic setup remains the same" maptypes, like oasis and great plains, i do research before actually playing. it involves ummm cheating *giggle*. start a game without LMA (and thus not eligible for HoF) that you do not intend to actually play. random leaders to save time, but use the map size you'll play with. then ctrl-w on your first turn, and look around the map to get a feel for it. you can go out of WB and regen and then back into WB to look around again as desired.

your actual game will not look just like that, but it should give you a sense of whether it's a real dry map, whether you can count on lots of rivers to give you network connections or whether your workers will be spending ages roading to meet your future pals, that sort of thing. on oasis, certain resources can appear only in certain sections of the map.

i find that it doesn't ruin the suspense of revealing the particular map i get when i do play, but knowing what to expect helps me start out perhaps with better strategy than i might if i was going in blind. some might prefer to be completely surprised and learn 100&#37; by doing and that's cool too, to each his or her own. just a thought.

caution: sometimes this will give you an absolutely beautiful starting location that you wish was one you could actually play. this poster is NOT responsible for any frustration you feel if this occurs, since it is entirely the fault of the RNG. you have been warned.

Start a new game with the Oasis map and select Future start. The whole map is revealed for your examination.

omg duh or that! no wonder you're a QM and i'm not! hahaha thanks that's easier than the way i do it *giggle*.

hm...there's so much stinking land to cover...I've taken out two AI and vassalized two others, and I'm still at 36&#37; land. Now i've got to try to recover my economy enough to take out at least one of the remaining civs, and then spam settlers into any open area.

Do the fast domination moguls recommend running aggressively from the beginning, or running a superfast tech pace for awhile then take out everyone around the same time with Maces/Trebs? Additionally, are shrines worthwhile for the extra gold, and is the Pyramids a good idea for early access to Police State?

Isn't one of the 'tricks' to kill off all but 1 AI while stockpiling settlers and then build a bunch of cities all on the same turn? So, no barbs and have map finder look for stone then build 1) worker 2) stonehenge 3) barracks 4) Jags and settlers. Tech path: masonry, mining, BW, IW. I might build another scout first to hunt for huts.

Interesting map for me, my first Oasis game, I'm not trying for a super quick win or anything, just playing it as I see it.

1AD now, Genghis was killed off before he got his settler out from his capital, now my Jags and Axes are going after Cyrus' iron city and I'll probably try and take 3 of his border cities quickly and then try for peace while getting code of laws together. Construction is due in about 10 turns and I have elphants hooked up already. I'm having a half baked attempt at going for the pyramids stone is next to be hooked up.

Happiness resources seeem very scarce though but I have 2 good production cities up and running. I got stonehenge which should help for land grab at the start too. Fingers and toes crossed!

Isn't one of the 'tricks' to kill off all but 1 AI while stockpiling settlers and then build a bunch of cities all on the same turn? So, no barbs and have map finder look for stone then build 1) worker 2) stonehenge 3) barracks 4) Jags and settlers. Tech path: masonry, mining, BW, IW. I might build another scout first to hunt for huts.
Eww.

I guess that would be the way to do it though. Current #1 for Standard Noble Domination is 250 BC, and it looks like that was the plan. Doesn't all your military get disbanded by the enormous upkeep though?

Doesn't all your military get disbanded by the enormous upkeep though?

That's the whole point of doing it that way - rather than having to pay for upkeep on all of those cities while continuing to conquer, you only pay for them on the last turn (or few turns if you're waiting for culture to pop).

Eww.

I guess that would be the way to do it though. Current #1 for Standard Noble Domination is 250 BC, and it looks like that was the plan. Doesn't all your military get disbanded by the enormous upkeep though?

I think it helps if you are rome. Since Jaguar are a bit weaker, I think the finish date would be a little later than this.

Top Bottom