1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Closing/Shutdown Issues

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by c0nman46, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Brutus2

Brutus2 Chieftain

I have Windows Defender disabled because I use a different AV. I tried adding exceptions to my AV but still having the exit lock up on occasion. Can Defender still cause the issue even if it's disabled?

I thought about enabling it just to add the exceptions and then disable it again but when I tried, it said I must uninstall my current AV. I understand two AV running together can cause issues but it seems odd that I would have to completely uninstall my other AV rather than simply disable it.

2. Antiriad

Antiriad Chieftain

I suffer this issue too, and I've got the latest Geforce drivers installed. It seems to happen occasionally for me. I just hope it doesn't mess up my hours logged playing the game, as I like to keep track of that.

3. IsildursHeir

IsildursHeir Chieftain

Add me to the list.....

For now, I exit to Main Menu, but even trying to exit to Desktop from there locks up.
    My current workaround is to Exit to Main Menu, Alt+Tab out of Civ6, then r-click and close the program from the task bar.
    I know it's not the cleanest way to exit an app. Hope this gets fixed soon.

4. Lucius_

Lucius_ Chieftain

Same problem here. I'm updating to the newest nvidia driver now. I updated at release but another one has come out since then. Happens to me everytime I exit to desktop.

5. Ogaw

Ogaw Chieftain

I have the same issue, even after adding windows defender exception.

6. gibson1314

gibson1314 Chieftain

I have the same issue no defender on, updated drivers etc. Just subscribing to this in case anyone finds a solution.

7. Ronald Gordo

Ronald Gordo Chieftain

Same problem here... :mad:

8. Tankbuster

Tankbuster Chieftain

I have this problem too. Very frustrating.

9. Markus5

Markus5 Code Monkey

I still have this problem. Added defender exception a while back. I have the latest drivers. Not sure what to try next.
    I might just start disabling defender every time I start the game. However, I don't suspect defender. I suspect something in the graphics drivers.
    Watching this thread for ideas.

10. Tankbuster

Tankbuster Chieftain

I don't use Defender so it's not that causing my problem. I did, however, suspect a firewall issue and after I added exceptions for both the game exe and the dx12 exe to Windows Firewall, the issue ceased. The game can now exit to desktop without locking up.

*edit* False alert. It's still locking up. It seems that the longer the gaming session, the more chance it will lock up.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  11. Regul

Regul Chieftain

Same problem here. Fortunately I'm using AMD graphic card and can open task manager to kill the game.

12. Tankbuster

Tankbuster Chieftain

I can open task manager, but it's buried behind the locked-up game, so I can't bring it focus. I have multiple monitors, if only I could force TM to open on one of the others, it would, at least, save me from having to restart the machine after a Civ-Sesh ™

13. Regul

Regul Chieftain

Just an update:

Ingame - game menue - when I first go to lobby/main menu and then leave game, the problem didn't occure. Seems it happens when you try to leave game while you are inside current session.

SkinBear likes this.
  14. Tankbuster

Tankbuster Chieftain

That's a little like mine. Certainly after a long playing session, in excess of an hour or so, the game will lock up. But if quiting from the menu directly after loading the game or after a short playing session, it will exit cleanly

SkinBear likes this.
  15. andreafin

andreafin Chieftain

i have this also and made bug report about it. it doesnt happen every time.

16. SkinBear

SkinBear Chieftain

I am having this issue now, noticing it more in late game eras. so even if I go in and play for 5 minutes now it does this. I do not or have not yet(fingers crossed) had this issue in the early stages of a game. Its fricking been over a year since the start of this post. Is there any solution? It's getting annoying.

17. Asov

Asov Chieftain

I think i find a solution, borderless window.

Could just be luck but last couple of times the game closed with no problems, before every exit after a "long" session freezed everything, even after a fresh Windows install (changed my hdd).

I hope this will help.

18. DanaLea

DanaLea Chieftain Supporter

I'm a Mac user but due to the inordinate delays in getting patches to us, I've installed windows 10 on my machine via Boot camp. I haven't used windows in about a decade, so I'm not really familiar with it. But all I have installed is the OS, Steam, and Civ6.

Yesterday I tried two games, one with mods.... got the above-described behavior when I click on begin game. After a reboot, I tried a vanilla game. Played about 100 turns (no COQI is painful!) and when I ended the game, the above-described behavior occurred. I had to reboot to fix.

Anyone find a solution in the past 2 months??

19. SkinBear

SkinBear Chieftain

I have for me anyway. I noticed it happened when I got far enough in the game where there happened to be more units on the map etc. So I exit to the menu, let it sit for a bit, then am able to exit with no issues. I think its just a memory issue. And I'm not smart enough on computers to figure anything more out. Hope that helped. Not the best solution but it works for me.