Game crashes out because of Display Device?

SxSnts9

Warlord
It's usually pretty rare, but I'm currently getting into the late game on a huge map so it's popping up fairly frequently now. Either during the AI turns or when I try to click on a leaderhead to open diplomacy. Screen will suddenly go to black and this message appears:

Display device has failed. Please ensure your display drivers are up to date. Exiting.

Then I'm back at my desktop. I'm pretty sure my display drivers are up to date. This only started since R & F but it's usually pretty rare. No mods or crazy settings (Except this is one of my rare Huge map games). I use a laptop and a monitor for multi screen. My laptop screen usually running a Twitch channel and my monitor running Civ. I'm not the most technically savvy guy, but if you tell me where to look or what I need to check for I can do it.

Thanks in advance.

It's usually pretty rare, but I'm currently getting into the late game on a huge map so it's popping up fairly frequently now. Either during the AI turns or when I try to click on a leaderhead to open diplomacy. Screen will suddenly go to black and this message appears:

Display device has failed. Please ensure your display drivers are up to date. Exiting.

Then I'm back at my desktop. I'm pretty sure my display drivers are up to date. This only started since R & F but it's usually pretty rare. No mods or crazy settings (Except this is one of my rare Huge map games). I use a laptop and a monitor for multi screen. My laptop screen usually running a Twitch channel and my monitor running Civ. I'm not the most technically savvy guy, but if you tell me where to look or what I need to check for I can do it.

Thanks in advance.

I've had this issue and I lowered the graphics settings on my game which helped. It sounds strange but I think the reason it was happening to me was because my GPU was running things too smoothly and frames were too high. I tested it by overclocking the GPU and got the same error there. Lowering settings seems to have worked for me.

I've had this issue and I lowered the graphics settings on my game which helped. It sounds strange but I think the reason it was happening to me was because my GPU was running things too smoothly and frames were too high. I tested it by overclocking the GPU and got the same error there. Lowering settings seems to have worked for me.

Awwwww...not what I was hoping to hear. :cry::cry:

I have pretty much the same bug here, but with a different config :
ryzen 5 cpu (oc)
gtx 1060 (oc)
1x8G ram
960 evo SSD(windows)
WD 1T HDD (civ6)
all drivers are up to date
I only have the R&F dlc (crashs started appearing after instaling it)

Tested it with monitoring and the hardware was below 50% and 50°C all the time it has crashed
It is not reprodusable (did the exact same set of action after relaunching the save)
I tried :
-reinstaling the whole game
-drivers
-with/without OC
-checking with the steam tools ("repairs" 3 files but no luck it still crashes)
-starting steam in administrator
-white listing both DX11 and DX12 launcher
-strating on DX11 or DX12

No other game, being DX11 or DX12, return the same bug.

The only time it seemed stable was when I played with the strategic view, let's say it was functional but not much enjoyable n_n'

Here is the eventlog of the crash according to windows but it is not that helpful :
crash civ.png

if you need anymore info I'll glady send them
For any translation, google should be fine but ask me if you need any

Last edited:
I confirmed that my Geforce drivers are up to date. I also verified game files and reset my game settings. Still happening. :sad::sad:

I confirmed that my Geforce drivers are up to date. I also verified game files and reset my game settings. Still happening. :sad::sad:

You'll just have to try and lower the graphics to medium, Civ 6 isn't a very graphic intensive game anyway so the quality shouldn't matter too much. I'd personally be upset if it happened with the witcher 3 for instance.

I’m getting this error now with Gathering Storm, never happened before. Did the update change the previous graphic settings to max?

Will try lowering them tonight

I’m getting this error now with Gathering Storm, never happened before. Did the update change the previous graphic settings to max?

There are a couple of things you can try. I turned off all mods except CQUI with rise and fall to see if that fixed it. I also launched it with DirectX11 instead of 12 as the crashes were less frequent there. Testing the GPU and underclocking it slightly while at the same time lowering the settings to medium was what really helped for me. I believe that Marbozir said in his review video that he experiences similar performance issues (he didn't mention this crash specifically) but I have a feeling he may have come across the same issue.

I was running civ6 without problem all the time but after installing the gathering storm I started to get the "display device" error.
I have a NVidia 960 on my MSI and I tested the following scenarios:

Integrated Intel graphic card: Works with DX11 and DX12
NVIDIA 960: Works with DX11 on max settings and DX12 only with "recommended" gforce experience settings.

I will set some settings higher and see if its works.

Just an fyi for those with Nvidia cards and are having issues. Make sure to check that your driver is updated as there was a newer one released just yesterday.
Yes, I know there was a driver update yesterday and it was installed.

Updating my Nvidia drivers seemed to have fixed the issue. It crashed instantly on trying to load a game with DX12 but now playing it. Don't know if there will be any instability later

My game just gets past the leader intro screen when starting a new game then the Display Device Error comes up and the game closes without me being able to take the 1st turn. This never happened on Rise and Fall. Why would it happen all of a sudden now. Is Gathering Storm that much more demanding of a game?

My game just gets past the leader intro screen when starting a new game then the Display Device Error comes up and the game closes without me being able to take the 1st turn. This never happened on Rise and Fall. Why would it happen all of a sudden now. Is Gathering Storm that much more demanding of a game?
I uninstalled the game and made a clean install of drivers.
Still not working with the settings I had been using for RF. So I had to lower them for GS. The one that "breaks" the game in my case seems to be the antialiasing. If it is disabled it doesn't crash.

For now I've just gone back to DX11 which gives me no problems. I can run everything smooth at highest resolution for me

I'll see if my Radeon has updated drivers that are not yet installed.

For those affected by this problem (and have already updated to latest drivers), could you zip up your dxdiag, graphicsoptions.ini, and your logs directory? We would love to take a peek and see if we can figure out what's going on.

For those affected by this problem (and have already updated to latest drivers), could you zip up your dxdiag, graphicsoptions.ini, and your logs directory? We would love to take a peek and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Can you please give me insturctions how to do those things?

Hi Dennis, thanks for looking into this. Please find my files attached, as requested.

If I try to run DX12, the game crashes to desktop at the end of the loading screen before creating/loading a game. DX11 works fine.

Can you please give me insturctions how to do those things?

@Carl5872 :

To get your dxdiag file, first run dxdiag.exe, either by typing "dxdiag.exe" into the Windows command prompt, or typing it into the search bar on Windows 10 should show this too. When running this program, you will be given the option to save the logs to a file.

The GraphicsOptions file and Logs directory are in your "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\" folder.

Make copies of these files (dxdiag.txt, GraphicsOptions.ini and the Logs directory), and put them in a zipped folder to upload it here.

Attachments

• civ6_dx12bug.zip
    93.6 KB · Views: 322

Hi dshirk,

Not at my house to send files but I want to say im having the exact identical issue to uberfrogs post above, at the exact same spot with the exact same error. It's when I'm trying to start a game and it's loading the map for the first time. Only happens in dx12, not dx11. I'll try to upload files later but it's the same as uberfrogs

Top Bottom