Game crashes out because of Display Device?

Hi Dennis, thanks for looking into this. Please find my files attached, as requested.

If I try to run DX12, the game crashes to desktop at the end of the loading screen before creating/loading a game. DX11 works fine.

@Carl5872 :

To get your dxdiag file, first run dxdiag.exe, either by typing "dxdiag.exe" into the Windows command prompt, or typing it into the search bar on Windows 10 should show this too. When running this program, you will be given the option to save the logs to a file.

The GraphicsOptions file and Logs directory are in your "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\" folder.

Make copies of these files (dxdiag.txt, GraphicsOptions.ini and the Logs directory), and put them in a zipped folder to upload it here.

Looking at your renderer.log, it appears that the video card you are using does not support DX12 unfortunately. =(

Last edited:
For those affected by this problem (and have already updated to latest drivers), could you zip up your dxdiag, graphicsoptions.ini, and your logs directory? We would love to take a peek and see if we can figure out what's going on.
Hi Dennis, thanks for looking into this. Please find my files attached, as requested.

If I try to run DX12, the game crashes to desktop at the end of the loading screen before creating/loading a game. DX11 works fine.

@Carl5872 :

To get your dxdiag file, first run dxdiag.exe, either by typing "dxdiag.exe" into the Windows command prompt, or typing it into the search bar on Windows 10 should show this too. When running this program, you will be given the option to save the logs to a file.

The GraphicsOptions file and Logs directory are in your "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\" folder.

Make copies of these files (dxdiag.txt, GraphicsOptions.ini and the Logs directory), and put them in a zipped folder to upload it here.
Got the files in one folder but how do I zip it?

For those affected by this problem (and have already updated to latest drivers), could you zip up your dxdiag, graphicsoptions.ini, and your logs directory? We would love to take a peek and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Here you go Dennis! I can only play on DX11 now, but could play before on 12.

Attachments

• Carl's Files.zip
    239.2 KB · Views: 231

Hi Dshirk,

Here are my files from my DX12 crash. Crashes every time the load screen for a new game is about to pop up the button to start the game and show the map for the first time. My card is most definitely DX12 supportable, and DX12 worked before GS.

DX11 works no problem.

Thanks Dshirk.

Attachments

• crash logs GS.zip
    382.9 KB · Views: 230
Here my logs, hope it helps to find the problem.
My graphic card does support DX12. It is a GTX960M and if a just low the settings to the "recommended" by gforce experience it works.
It also runs on max settings with DX11.

Attachments

• crash GS.zip
    288.4 KB · Views: 203
This is clearly a GS issue as it appeared right after the expansion was live. And the interesting thing is that I haven't purchased it yet (the expansion) - and still suddenly the game wont load the map due to ''Display Device''. I've updated the drivers - no change.
With DX12 - game doesn't load the map. With DX11 - it does.

Having the same issue. Works with dx12 only when I have anti aliasing unchecked.

Here is mine. I turned off antialiasing in DX12 now and it works. However, loading time is too long.
Game in DX11 works fine.

Previously in R&F, both DX12 and DX11 are okay.

Attachments

• Civilization6GS.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 248
Turning off the antialiasing in DX12 is what did it for me also. Trying to turn it back on in-game crashes it completely. Running GTX770M

Thanks for the suggestion to turn off anti-aliasing; but no go. I think it is GS issue, as the problem started with GS upgrade for me. They probably need to tweak the code a bit. I'm running GTX 1080Ti 11GB. btw; for large maps this is graphics intensive (especially VRAM). I'm only getting the error playing YnAmp Ludicrous map size setting (no problem with R&F or Vanilla CivVI). Anything smaller works fine for my setup (1080Ti OC'd, 48GB, I7 6800K OC'd) btw large maps and a lot of mods are both CPU and Memory intensive. Yes, checked all drivers, Win10 upgrade. btw: When GS came out I did clean Nvidia driver install.

So GS without mods or custom map packs works fine?
That's true. As usual it is with the larger maps and greater civs. Fraxis brags about the number of civs; but does not support map sizes that make using large numbers playable. Why? My guess is marketing. They would not be able to post such minimal computer requirement specs; although, I'm sure their is a way around it.

Just because Firaxis offers so many civs to choose from doesn’t mean that many civs in a single game is supported.

That's true. As usual it is with the larger maps and greater civs. Fraxis brags about the number of civs; but does not support map sizes that make using large numbers playable. Why? My guess is marketing. They would not be able to post such minimal computer requirement specs; although, I'm sure their is a way around it.
I don't think it's the same issue, OP is not using mods, and larger than supported maps (ie maps that won't load at all or fail on reveal all) crashes with different messages.

And we can't ask for supporting something the game was not designed for since the beginning, yet it is sad that the game's stability with larger maps is going down since release, 230x116 was rock stable with 30 civs full game in 2016, I had to go down to 200x100 as anything bigger wasn't even loading anymore after the 2017 summer patch and now I've got reports that even 180x90 generate more crashes than usual. But that could be linked to new features of GS, I'll have to run some full games on my end (vanilla first then expansion) to be sure.

My guess would be that some optimizations designed for the base game sizes have unexpected results on larger maps, which are not tested internally.

Now we all know that even if Firaxis doesn't communicate a lot with us, they do read/listen, want to please their customers, and as the Giant Earth is a favorite of a relatively important group of players, they've already been responsive enough to fix the sound issue that was somehow triggered when using that map, so one can hope. But that kind of stability issue is not something we can fix (or could be able to fix with DLL source access) on our end if it's related to the way the game optimize CPU/GPU usage.

I've updated to the latest version of NVIDIA from today 419.17. Still not working. Crashes with DX12 and AA enabled. So I will continue playing w/o or just DX11 full settings.

Updated to latest version Nvidia 419.17. YnAmp Update: Feb 22 @ 6:16pm, Ludicrous, Terra, TSL, Only additional mod is Calypso Colored Civs - Screenshots - https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsJpvLb_AKO7j64RckNitDXjt3y9SQ - Include initial Māori settler on sea. Notice memory usage VRAM well over 7GB. 15GB RAM and just starting map. RAM will go higher as game is played. And; of course, more mods - more RAM. Just a bit of a bump in VRAM (depending on the mod - if graphic intensive). Turn 4 goes above 8GB VRAM. I use GTX 1080Ti 11GB card. Possibly the GTX 1080 8GB may not be adequate.

I ! I have an all new Dell precision7740 with i9-9980HK and 64Go ram, with Nvidia Quadro RTX3000 inside, with the last version of windows10 (v20H2) and last version of nvidia driver. Since i bought this pc, my Civ 6 crashed when i play with RTX3000, but ran well on the dell graphic card.
I solved it !!
after months of research, someone on a forum talked about NvidiaInspector (a Nvidia pure software) . When i run NvidiaInspector BEFORE playing CIV on Rtx3000 (dx11) (and i let inspector runing in backstage), with full options "max quality" activated in CIV6, it ran during hours of game without crash
I have not activated overclocking : at this usual rate, the card is almost at its most usage on the realtime graph of Inspector, and notebook runs its fan at max speed : its enough noisy ).
Yeahhhhh ! what a change of quality and responsiveness !!!
Hpe it will help you

Top Bottom