Game crashes when summoning Avatar of Wrath

Josilot

Chieftain
Hello, I discovered this incredible mod Fall From Heaven 2 a couple of weeks ago, and have been playing the crap out of it ever since. I'm currently wrist-deep in an Infernals match, my first where I've been anywhere close to the upper echelons of the Armageddon Counter. On turn 358 (normal speed), I've managed to get the counter up to 91 from 89 on turn 357. I get a couple of messages telling me that a unit has been enraged by the Avatar of Wrath, and then the game just sits there flashing "Waiting for other Civilizations" for more than 20 minutes before I gave up. I killed the game, reloaded an auto-save from turn 356, and got back to 358 and it is doing the same behavior. Is my game borked? Any way to continue it? I was really looking forward to finding out what happens when I hit 100 on the counter.

I am absolutely addicted to this mod. You guys have no idea what you've done to me. Or actually some of you probably have been here before and know exactly what I'm going through. Let me know where to send money and that.

edit: Entering World Builder and killing Basium worked.

Unfortunately this is the 'Avatar of Wrath' bug. It appears to be common, we have a lot of complaints about it. The best guess is that some enraged unit is causing an infinite loop (the WoC, or Waiting for other Civilizations message) but nobody knows for sure. As Emptiness said in the related thread, the best bet is to try something else a few turns before and hope for the best.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Unfortunately this is the 'Avatar of Wrath' bug. It appears to be common, we have a lot of complaints about it. The best guess is that some enraged unit is causing an infinite loop (the WoC, or Waiting for other Civilizations message) but nobody knows for sure. As Emptiness said in the related thread, the best bet is to try something else a few turns before and hope for the best.

Best wishes,

Breunor

I've had a similar bug with this latest patch later in my games for no apparent reason. The only solution to it is reload the game several turns beforehand & hope for the best.

Presumably it happens because of some unit getting enraged and the AI not knowing what to do with it, right? Can't I use the World Builder to delete that unit for the turn the Avatar of Wrath shows up and then put it back after it's been summoned? Or am I not fully understanding the situation?

Is there some file I can modify to turn off the enraging script just so that I can continue my game? Don't know a lot about that kind of stuff.

The problem is that so many units get enraged it is hard to say which unit is the cause. Of course, always look for 'obvious' candidates (units that cannot attack, etc.)

Best wishes,

Breunor

Post a save right before the WoC and I'll try to figure it out.

Obvious candidates don't help. These WoCs are generally caused by the code splitting groups when it shouldn't. That it can do with any unit.

Obvious candidates don't help. These WoCs are generally caused by the code splitting groups when it shouldn't. That it can do with any unit.

Agreed, it never seemed to work for me!

Best wishes,

Breunor

Here's the save on turn 357. Note: you should be able to delay Avatar of Wrath indefinitely by changing the build in the Infernal Capitol City (Dis?) to something other than a unit, should the need arise.

Also, thanks for checking it out. 'Though I've actually gotten something other than playing this game done in the past week because of this incident.

Attachments

• Hyborem AD-0357.CivBeyondSwordSave
    276.2 KB · Views: 166
I didn't get a WoC so most likely fixed in patch o.

I thought I had the latest patch? I have version 0.41n. Where can I get this patch you speak of?

edit: tried patch m, that doesn't seem to work either.

Patch "o" hasn't been released yet, the latest patch is "n," so I think what Snarko wrote was a typo.

You can get the latest patch in the first post of the FfH2 Bug Thread.

Here's the save on turn 357. Note: you should be able to delay Avatar of Wrath indefinitely by changing the build in the Infernal Capitol City (Dis?) to something other than a unit, should the need arise.

Also, thanks for checking it out. 'Though I've actually gotten something other than playing this game done in the past week because of this incident.

I am getting the WoC. Unfortunately, the only way I've found to fix it is to destroy the Mercurians. Nothing else seems to work - if you destroy all of the Mercurian human units (that can be enraged), then it still WoC's. Even if you kill all units besides Basium, it WoC's. If you kill Basium without destroying the Mercurians, the AC drops to 86; I was able to play through, get the AoW, and go forward - however, this technique cripples the Mercurians also.

You can kill some other cities to drop the AC. Then, you can play forward and sometimes not get the bug (I did that once while fooling around without saving).

So, I'm back to my 'usual' recommendation for the AoW bug - go back a few turns, try some other things, and hope you don't get it when the AoW appears.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Thanks! Yeah, killing Basium worked just fine. I'm not too worried about the asterisk on my score; Hyborem was so powerful he was killing all of the horsemen, Acheron, and several megastacks while hardly taking any damage. Whether or not Basium had been present when I got to the Mercurians, he would not have made a difference.

Interestingly, I actually converted Acheron using the Crown of Command. Is that supposed to happen? He didn't last too long; he died as soon as the AC hit 100.

Thanks! Yeah, killing Basium worked just fine. I'm not too worried about the asterisk on my score; Hyborem was so powerful he was killing all of the horsemen, Acheron, and several megastacks while hardly taking any damage. Whether or not Basium had been present when I got to the Mercurians, he would not have made a difference.

Interestingly, I actually converted Acheron using the Crown of Command. Is that supposed to happen? He didn't last too long; he died as soon as the AC hit 100.

Yeah you can convert him with beastmasters too.

Patch "o" hasn't been released yet, the latest patch is "n," so I think what Snarko wrote was a typo.

You can get the latest patch in the first post of the FfH2 Bug Thread.

Not a typo. See patch o patchnotes. Several WoCs don't occur in "my" version of FfH2. Those should be fixed in patch o.

Not a typo. See patch o patchnotes. Several WoCs don't occur in "my" version of FfH2. Those should be fixed in patch o.

I should have figured that you'd made some of the patch o changes yourself. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Let's hope patch o gets released soon, it would be nice to get those fixes in.

Top Bottom