1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Files

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Kraken98, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Kraken98

Kraken98 Chieftain

Can someone tell me how to access the core game files? I want to mod the tech tree, but I can't seem to find where they are? Please help.

2. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Vanilla: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\UI
    G&K: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion\UI
    BNW: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion2\UI

For G&K and BNW the TechTree.lua specific file is in the TechTree sub-dir, for vanilla (and unchanged files) they are in the InGame/TechTree sub-folder

3. Kraken98

Kraken98 Chieftain

Thanks, whoward, I was able to find the file/folder, but I don't know what to do now. It won't automatically open, asking me to select a program to open it with. What program should I use to open it? I really don't want to corrupt the file.

4. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

You can edit Lua and XML files using any text editor, Notepad for example.

5. Kraken98

Kraken98 Chieftain

For myself.

Attached Files:

6. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Use Notepad ++. Better than Microsoft Words, notepad, and Open Office plus it's free.