Game Freeze Question for Bruenor/Others

rvarnell

Chieftain
I'm in the midgame of a large pangea map with Patch N. The game keeps freezing. Bruenor - if I remember correctly you mentioned in another thread that this occurs when an AI unit does something to cause an endlessly repeating loop. Anyway, my questions are how do you figure out which unit? Also, how do you delete a unit (must be in worldbuilder, I just don't know where)?

Thanks!

Yes, you are correct, I think, but let's do a little clarification first.

When you say the game is 'freezing', do you mean what we usually call a 'WoC'? A WoC stands for Waiting for other Civilizations'. Once you hit end of turn, the computer (Civ IV, picked up in FfH) flashes a 'waiting for other civilizations' message. On a 'normal' turn,t hsi will occur as the computer/AI plays each of the AI players, and then once it is done, it gives control back to you, starting the next turn.

The bug occurs when the 'Waiting for other Civilization' goes on ad infinitum, and it never ends. As you said, these WoC's are usually caused by a unit going into an infinite loop. As a gross generalization, the most important source of WoC's is 'grouping', some code bugs that occur as the computer tries to determine if a unit should enter a group with other units.

Yes, a work around is to delete units until you figure out which one is messing up, if possible. I've described my system, basically a manual binary search. Delete half of the civilizations, see if it is fixed. If not, try the others. (Sometimes you also have to delete barbarians, but in patch N, as opposed to earlier patches,the barbarians are't causing a lot of bugs becuase barbarians dont' group.) Then, take half of the remaining, etc. Usually you can then figure out whcih civ is causing the problem. Then you apply the same idea to cities and stacks for the culprit civilization.

Okay, how to delete - in the worldbuilder, there is an 'erase' button. If you ever want to feel like a megalomaniac, just erase stuff away, it eliminates everything in the square, cities, units, terrain, etc. This is the easiest way to get rid of civilizations.

To add or delete units, you should go into the 'player' choice, and choose the civilization that you are working on. Then, go to the 'edit units' button (lower left I think). This will bring up a graphic of each unit possibility in the game.

To add a unit to a stack, right click on the icon, and then click on a square onthe board, and presto, the unit is there. (You can select the specific unti to add experience points, promotions, etc.). If you want to delete a unit, left-click on the icon type, and then on the square, and it deletes a unit of that type from the stack. Note if you left-click without selecting an icon, it deletes a unit but you can't control the type.

It takes a little while to get used to it, but if you play around with it you should get the hang of it.

If you have trouble, post again and somehere on this forum or I will get more specific.

If all else fails, post a save and I can take a look at it.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Top Bottom