game mechanics of resistors in conquered cities??

Borderline

Chieftain
i was looking at a lets play video for C3C and he mentioned that if there are 8 resistors in a city that you just captured, then having more than 8 units (artillery and workers don't count) to quell the resistors won't matter.

so lets say the next turn you quelled 4 resistors and have 4 left still, the max unit you need is now 4 units for maximum speed of quelling them.

is this correct?

i just played a turn where i captured a city that had 8 resisters, i said F it and put in i think close to 15 units or so, (2 armies of 4 units, and the rest single units) and next turn they were all quelled lulz.. i was never able to quell 8 resistors in 1 turn before, even if i put in 8 units with 8 resistors in my past games; im playing monarchy difficulty.

the civ AI only had 1 other city a few tiles nearby it. im not sure if that made any difference in how fast you quell resistors.

so lets say the next turn you quelled 4 resistors and have 4 left still, the max unit you need is now 4 units for maximum speed of quelling them.

is this correct?

Only if their prior civ does no longer exists. In that case one per resistor does indeed suffice.

If the civ does still exist, than the chances one of your units will quell a resistor does depend on the culture rating. The best one(they are fascinated by us) is when your global culture is at least 3 times the global culture of the enemy, the worst one is the opposite case.

I am not quite sure how armies count. I assume that the military units inside the army do count, but the army itself not.

It can be a good tactic to completely quell the resistance in the same turn that you conquer a city, because in that same turn the city cannot flip. After that no or only minimal units in the city is the standard operating procedure to avoid loosing many units to a flip. Ending the existence of a civ really is the best medizin against flipping. With the patient dead the illness is cured.

ahh most excellent. didn't know about the culture difference affecting resistors. wish they would put it in the guides or manual. and i do believe you're correct about armies, units inside the army count, just not the army unit itself. ill try and keep this in mind to see how much culture they have compared to me in relation to how many resistors there are.

i guess if i have the units, ill just cram them all into the resistor city to calm them all down next turn. and i guess my cramming strategry worked. i had 1/3 better overall culture than russian and opted to also put in 15 units with resistors.

going half azzed could get you screwed when they decide to revolt back to their original CIV and you lose ALL your units inside the city.

i agree, kill off the civ is best, but in my scenario, they have some island cities that i outlier cities in other parts of the map that isn't worth my time and expense.

i appreciate all the help you've been giving me through all my topics. =)

Each unit has a chance to quell resistance, rather than each resistor having a chance to turn productive, so putting more units in than resistors is helpful (unless the other civ is gone, in which case the chance of quelling resistance is 100%, as justanick writes).

The chance to quell resistance does not depend on nearby cities.

When I have obsolete units laying around, I'll use them for quelling resistance after that first safe turn. If it flips with my regular warrior in it, no big deal, and warriors reduce resistance just as well as any other military unit.

i guess if i have the units, ill just cram them all into the resistor city to calm them all down next turn. and i guess my cramming strategry worked. i had 1/3 better overall culture than russian and opted to also put in 15 units with resistors.
Whether or not your Culture is better, if a newly-conquered town (still) contains a Barracks, and there are continuous usable rails to that town from your current holdings (via your conquered lands, neutral tiles, or via an RoP with an 'ally'), it is well worth taking the time to wake up any/all (fast) attack-units which are currently fortified/ healing in the previous turn's frontline town(s), and move them forwards to the new frontline Barracks-town.

Not only does this ensure that those units are now safe from a potential flip in the previous frontline town(s) (which will also now be at lower risk of flipping, since there will now be less/zero foreign influence on the BFC(s)), but they will also help to quell the resistance in the newly acquired Barracks-town. And best of all, since they will not use any movement-points if they stay on the rails, they will also get fully healed by the Barracks over the coming interturn, and thus become available to move the frontline even further forwards on your next turn.

Only if their prior civ does no longer exists. In that case one per resistor does indeed suffice.

If the civ does still exist, than the chances one of your units will quell a resistor does depend on the culture rating.

(unless the other civ is gone, in which case the chance of quelling resistance is 100%, as justanick writes).

Well, this is not quite correct: it does not matter, whether the civ still exists or not. What matters, is whether you are currently at war with that civ or not! So once the state of war has ended (either by eliminating that civ, as you two point out, or by simply signing a peace treaty with them!) one unit quells one resistor per turn, 100% guaranteed.

Regarding Armies: my feeling is, that Armies are "more powerful" in quelling resistors than ordinary units. E.g. I have often experienced that putting two Armies into a freshly captured size-11 city is enough to quell the resistance in one turn, something that 6 ordinary units (or even 8) never seem to be able to achieve.

Top Bottom