Game only runs once, then executables get deleted

Drexl Vaal

Chieftain
This has got to be the most bizarre problem I've ever experienced. No matter what version of the game I play (dx9/11/touch) the game will run once, then once it is closed for any reason the executable for that version gets deleted. I've also tried using the legacy mode branch in steam and the same thing happens.

I'm not using any AV software outside of Windows Defender, and it should warn me before taking action like that anyway.

Has ANYONE experienced something like this and know of a fix? Obviously I can backup the EXEs and replace them everytime I close the game, but that's only one of my issues I'm having with this game currently. Some settings aren't being saved, and I'm experiencing crippling performance issues with an i7 6700k and gtx1080ti.

First, I'd like to get this game to stop deleting itself though. I tried contacting 2k support, but Civ V has been removed from their support website so apparently they don't care anymore. I really hope someone here knows what's going on.

Thanks in advance!

Setting the exe to read only worked around this really strange issue. I'll make a separate post for my performance problems.

Top Bottom