1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gathering Storm Over-hyped?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bayley, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Civrinn

Civrinn Chieftain

Its pretty hyped right now but that doesn't surprise me. That being said personally I will wait for opinions before purchasing. The state of the AI currently is a real turn off for Civ 6. That being said, some of the new mechanics and things being introduced look interesting. I am excited to play Civ 6 when the AI can play the game as well beyond the first initial rush.

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Agreed, the design of the civs is probably the strongest part of this expansion. Maybe he was missing some of the big name civs from past games, but we did get a few mainstays like Incas, Ottomans, and Carthage/Phoenicia. The civs are what I'm most excited about. Disasters look pretty fun as well, though I think it will take modding to really make them you know, an actual disaster.

3. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

I’m starting to wonder if Civ VI GS is under hyped. Check this out from paper rock shotgun.

Honestly. I haven’t played GS yet (of course). But a lot of the press seems kinda negative, and I think totally unjustified. The internet - and gaming - is a very odd beast.

My expectation is GS is likely to be a bit of a turning point for Civ VI, which hopefully starts generating some much better press, reviews and posts (not to mention sales).

4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Yeah, I think they've kind of painted themselves into a corner with the "uniqueness" factor--they set out to make the civs more individual than any game, and the abilities are; but with 40+ civs and only so many rules to work with, you're going to start repeating or getting bland.

I also wish they would do away with the "leader" traits and focus on the civ itself instead--that does more for me. But that was the choice they made for this release so whatever.

5. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Chieftain

Not missing any. I just feel like they could be blanket replaced with civs like 'Red,' 'Green,' 'Pony' and 'Griffon,' and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference

6. Gali

Gali Chieftain

Its like any and all civ expansions ever; if you like the game it will improve it but its unlikely to convert that many people. The expansion that was the biggest gamechanger was probably Gods and Kings, but that was compared to vanilla civ 5 which even as a civ 5 fan was the weakest in the franchise. Especially since a lot of people coming back probably compared it to release civ 5 which was a disaster. One reason the AI in civ 6 is worse is what makes it more fun than civ 5; they massively expanded and complicated the economy of the game. Such complexity is what makes the new strategy games fun to play but it has doomed the AI. Name me a modern strategy game with unmodded AI that is at all competent. I have to play with gladius to make my stellaris AI not sub civ 6 level and the endless ai are always awful. its not cost effective for game companies to make great AIs. the only time it happened in civ was civ 4 and there they incorporated a modders work for BTS anyway. What companies need to do is release the tools to allow the modders to fix it and that is almost certainly a publisher decision.

7. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

It grates on me when people call expansions DLC. I know it is technically DLC, but people treat it like a micro-transaction, which it definitely isn't. Would people feel more justified in spending $32 on an expansion if they got a physical copy?

acluewithout likes this.
  8. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

That author just seems to be angrily grumbling. Is he by chance in a mid-life crisis?

And I completely agree with @pgm123 . This is a very different item than a more standard modern DLC. I much prefer it to IAP of actual game content or content access, which I think is what most gamers are bitter about anyway.

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I'd be interested in knowing what the author thinks about subscription online games . . .

DWilson likes this.
  10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Yeah I don't get this. I absolutely love Civ6. But we can't ignore that the AI is weak as a kitten. It looks a little stronger on certain map types in GS, but that remains to be seen. They are still extremely weak on archipelago maps.

I see this as everyone is a hater now days. And I even got into that at the release of Civ5 (I went back to Civ4). But at a certain point, it's just dumb to just hate everything new (though I still hate almost all new movies and tv shows :) ). This isn't Mass effect Andromeda or Fallout 76 bad. This is a damn good game. It has its flaws for sure, but still damn good.

this bothers me immensely. Expansions have been around since the 90's. Not all are great, but many are. I never bought the Diablo expansion (I believe it was called Hellfire) for example. But gladly bought Civ2 expansions. Though I never cared for Test of Time, and I was bored of the game by then.

acluewithout likes this.
  11. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Someone posted a fair collection of reviews in the other thread, and they all seem fairly positive, if not perfect. I would say appropriate hype.