1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Now that Machu Picchu is (seemingly) included, Notre Dame is probably next on my list of missing wonders.

Yeah, I think St. Basil's excludes the Kremlin. They've always used a St. Basil's graphic for the Kremlin, so it's nice they got the name right for once.

2. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

Well we are getting Buttress as a tech. I'll be surprised if we don't get Notre Dame.

3. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

That's true. But then it would make sense to have Notre Dame on that tech. However, they moved Hagia Sophia there instead (not inappropriately, I don't suppose). So that's a bit of a mark against Notre Dame overall.

4. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

I needed to check. 3/7 wonders are in cities on the Greek list (Ephesus, Rhodes, Olympia). 2/7 are on the Egyptian list (Giza and Ra Kedet). 1/7 are on the Persian list (Halicarnassus). 1/7 is in a City State (Babylon). The last one assumes that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon were actually in Babylon and not in Nineveh (as is sometimes supposed).

I'm not a fan of Qin getting a wonder-building bonus given his actual history, but I won't complain that much.

5. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

Honestly, as much as I want to see Notre Dame, I think Mont-Saint-Michel is its replacement in civ6. If I were to try to guess a third French wonder, I think it would be the Palace of Versailles, since the World Congress is being included, I think it makes sense to have a diplomatic wonder.

As I do not think that mound is a wonder, I would say that there are still 2 wonders to be revealed. I would be quite surprised if we do not get any African and European wonders, so I think the remaining wonders are from Europe and Africa.

6. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

I’m thinking ahead in hopes of a third expansion.:please:

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  7. Portinou

Portinou Chieftain

Statue of Zeus, Notre Dame, Borobudur, Mosque of Djenne and Neuschwanstein are on top of my list. Even with a third expansion, I have little hope to see them all modelized in the end :-(

TahamiTsunami, Guandao and Myomoto like this.
  8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Right, silly me. I somehow deleted the row with the placeholder 7 at some point in my spreadsheet

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  9. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

If that "mound" thing is a wonder I'll eat my hat. Doesn't look grandiose enough at all - I maintain it's gotta be a tile improvement.

Meluhhan and AbsintheRed like this.
  10. Kheznik

Kheznik Warlord

It's the size of a mountain. How much more "grandiose" does it have to be?

bite likes this.
  11. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Grandiosity isn't just size. It's literally just a big hill with huts and some stairs. Every other wonder in the game has much more detail and visual complexity. This isn't a knock to the art team - the level of detail is far more similar to that of the terrace farms or regular farms, which look fine for what they are.

AbsintheRed and Weraptor like this.
  12. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I don't care if it's Notre Dame de Paris: I just want a Gothic cathedral. Mont Saint Michel is lovely but hardly an adequate substitute. :(

It could possibly be a unique improvement from suzerainty of a Cahokia city-state, but it's considerably larger and more detailed than any other improvement in the game IMO.

Xandinho and TahamiTsunami like this.
  13. Kheznik

Kheznik Warlord

I see what you mean, but what exactly would you expect from a potential Mississippian wonder? The mound itself is what makes it impressive, not the stuff on it. People don't travel to see it IRL in order to be blown away by the absolute detail of the huts. I'd like to remind you that Stonehenge is also in the game, and the detail there is considerably less than what you'd find on other wonders.

For me, the most obvious indication that it's a wonder is that it's the size of a wonder. There are no tile improvements that big. A unit would get buried beneath all that dirt.

14. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

I'll eat my hat if it isn't.

15. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

I'll hold you to this :D Maybe tomorrow this will be settled in the livestream!

I also see your points - hopefully we find soon!

16. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

You're on :)

17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Keeping my hat intact, for the moment, I don't see it being that much more 'detailed' than, say, the Chateau, which is an Improvement, but it is comparable to the detail in Stonehenge, which is a Wonder.

So, speculating...

Since it looks most like a constructed representation of the Cahokia Mound, what would its purpose be as either Wonder or Improvement?
    Cahokia was built on bottomlands next to a major river, and Floodplains and Marsh tiles, it appears, will be very malleable in GS: subject to change by Flooding or Climate Change.
    BUT Cahokia is, at best, a Medieval Wonder (and by technology, an Ancient one) and most Climate Change shouldn't kick in until Modern Era or Atomic Era at the earliest.

So, what is its Purpose?
    Maintain Floodplains or Marsh tiles despite Flooding events?
    Add Bonuses to tiles along a river?
    Add Population/Amenities/Religion?

All of those could be either Wonder or Improvement effects, but I really don't see any of them being massively Game Changing unless you have a Civ guaranteed to start with lots of marsh/Floodplain/River tiles. Which still means either Wonder or Improvement, since many Wonders in Civ VI are extremely situational in both requirements and scope of their effects...

18. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

If it is a wonder then I'd guess it has something to do with trade.

19. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Yes please! Notre Dame would be my pick of course but there are plenty of alternatives.

TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'm going to speculate that the wonder for this expansion will be the Large Hadron Collider.