Gauntlet Returns

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by BlackHat, Apr 22, 2017.

1. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I should apparently be doing more tech buying and trading instead of trying to be the research leader while also running up a huge army. I also need to develop a better core of cities. I was in a bad mood last night, but I'll take another crack at it.

I did get farther than my previous attempts with the last game, but I've got to be disciplined enough to ditch when there's no early horses and I don't get the Republic slingshot.

2. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

I didn't get The Republic slingshot in my game and I don't think I have in any of the Demi-God games I've played on pangea (large spaceship and standard spaceship, large conquest and the above at least).

3. superslug

My terminology might be rusty, given how long it's been since I've played this game. Isn't the Republic slingshot getting it as a free tech from being first to Philosophy? I've accomplished that in a new map I'm trying tonight. Four cows, three luxuries, an iron, and two horses. It's a solid start.

4. Spoonwood

Yes.

I did get to Philosophy first, and have usually when I've played Demi-God for the HoF, but I didn't have Code of Laws before that, so I just got some other free tech, and I think I picked Code of Laws.

5. superslug

Even though I set it for pang settings, it looks like I may have gotten two continents. I share a landmass with the Aztecs, Zulu, and Mongols. Once I had 30 Mounted Warriors, I started a war with the Aztecs, as they were behind me in tech, and I'll be facing spears and swords, but no horse units or pikemen.

Spoonwood likes this.
  6. CKS

CKS Deity

Well, real life swallowed up my expected free time, but I'm still planning to participate. I should be able to submit something by the deadline, though I haven't gotten beyond thinking about it yet.

7. CKS

CKS Deity

My first several real tries went belly up, but I finally made it with the Ottomans in 1650. I played a continents map, because even though I stink at naval invasions, the AI is worse, and this gave me protection in the early game.

Spoonwood likes this.
  8. Naok

Naok Chieftain

Hello to all of you still enjoying Civ3

It is a long time I was not around and I am amazed to know some of you, specially Spoonwood who help a lot some years ago.

I am quite happy to see there are still few that want to battle for the HoF. I would have like to join you and give a try after those years. Unfortunately, it will be too short for me. But if some are still up for a next gauntlet, I would find time (especially on smaller maps - like small, emperor for instance where there are some free spots for spaceship or cultural 100k or even Histo)

Have a nice gauntlet

Spoonwood likes this.
  9. BlackHat

BlackHat Chieftain

I finally got around to submitting, a whole 6 hours before the deadline... Unfortunately RL got a bit busy, and I honestly wasn't dying to play either, so it fell by the wayside until I decided to try to make get one in last week. Finished in 840 so nothing impressive, but a win's a win and it'll chart. Didn't ever get the SGL I wanted, so instead tried a slower buildup with an attack as soon as riders were available, and no wars before that to avoid slowing tech. Should have planned it better, because the sprint to chivalry was more like a jog as unit support choked the economy, and then I didn't have cash to upgrade the 70+ chariots and horsemen quickly. Should have built more markets and aqueducts early, and used disconnect reconnect. That's what poor planning and rules of thumb get you. The landmass was split, with 2 isolated civs that weren't discovered until astronomy. Got lucky in that neither had boats when we got there, but egypt actually expelled my first invasion attempt with swarms of archers. The second effort used a decoy force to draw the archers and was more effective.

That's probably the last conquest game for a while. It's just so frustrating on larger maps, especially on higher levels with the split landforms and wet settlers. Oh, and crashes from whatever bug happens when a civ's last settler is lost on the interturn. That's what ended the deity game. It's kinda fun to play but a bit frantic, and definitely not as fun when you know if you play everything perfect and there's a 20% chance it'll be what you hope. Makes it really hard to give your best effort for every turn. At least its not a 100k game I guess.

Spoonwood likes this.
  10. superslug

The gauntlet is concluded. Congratulations to the four victors:

1) Drazek - 450 BC; new Number One
    2) Spoonwood - 670 AD
    3) Blackhat - 840 AD
    4) CKS - 1650 AD

Spoonwood and BlackHat like this.
  11. BlackHat

BlackHat Chieftain

Great job Drazek. That's an insane date.

Spoonwood likes this.
  12. Spoonwood

It looks like Drazek had multiple fronts at the same time in his game. Well done Drazek!

BlackHat likes this.
  13. Drazek

Drazek Warlord

Yes, I think the best date is when you try to time killing last civs about the same time. I succeeded in this quite well.

Unfortunately, I think I made a big mistake when Portuquese made a demand, I refused, and they declared war. This stopped my pre-roading to Portuquese/Viking/American areas as Portuquese were in the center of those areas.

However, I got so many cows and my cities were big so I suffered from happiness problems. This war declaration's war happiness helped a lot to build the Mounted Warrior troops. I also signed others with the Military Alliance against Portuquese combined with a peace treaty, so when they signed peace I got multiple extra war happiness, and happiness wasn't a problem anymore.

Spoonwood likes this.