Gedemon's Civilization, development thread

Civs shouldn't have uniques ATM, any other mods used ?

Arts from DLC are not impossible to add, but that would be from an external mod, as I can't make a reference to a DLC without making it a requirement (and of course, someone with the DLC would have to make that modmod)

And update:
Code:
- tweak production panel filter to show only relevant buildings/units
- add new unit "Hunters" that can be spawned using the Recruitment Centre Building, and use Blunt Weapons, to counter early barbarian rushes when you have no spears yet
- show correct unit type to spawn on the Recruitment Centre Tooltip
- remove the unused Niter resource
- allows Floodplains on plains and grass
- bug fix : manually clean the temporary orderedIndex from tables when breaking an orderedPairs loop
- add an Error popup when the orderedPairs function detect a table with a previous orderedIndex (please report those with a Lua.log in the bug section, this means something silently failed in the code)
- use math.ceil() instead of Round() when checking the number of equipment required for the current number of personnel in an unit
- lower Floodplain influence on city/unit Health
- add a Health Balance modifier that make the Health value of cities to tend to 0

Small update
Code:
- import city names for placeholder civilizations
- bug fix : set portrait icon for "Hunters" unit

When i try to start game with no other mods this includs maps i get error 3045188730 .
Its only started at last update .

Bug fix:
Code:
load fix : Poland can into mod

When you make these updates, do you update the "latest development version" or the "Assets" that the users download?
I had some crashes when i have tried the mod, but I reeeeeeealy want it to work :p

"latest development version", when I update the assets (less often), I mention it specifically.

Still working on the development tree and the event system in relation to research, a quick preview:

Not sure if i'll be able to release an update for the WE, because I need to neutralize the old Culture Tree, ATM it's just hidden.

But the base mechanism for research on event is in, allowing smaller but regular boosts to research, now I just need to develop it.

Big update on the code side, I expect issues, the Development Tree is a crude version, not really meant to be played past the Ancien/Classical eras, but let me know how it feels already please.

Code:
- merge Civics and Techs trees in an unique "Development Tree"
- add some new empty Techs to get some space for future additions to the mod
- add "Arms Race" (pre-WW1 to post-WW2) and "Future" Eras to place some of the new Techs
- add Research Fields that can contribute to research specific Techs. A Tech can get contributions from multiple Research Fields
- allow Research Points on events (added to specific Research Field yields or directly to a specific Techs)
- add some new techs Icons from "The Test of Time" mod
- all Tech costs raised (surely too much as there are not many Research Fields set past the Ancient Era)
- add Clay Resource to help materiel production in early game
- add BrickMaker Buildings
- the Small Stable can stock Cattle and Sheep
- add Research yields to a few Buildings
- reintroduce a few Religious buildings
- tweak Buildings, Improvements, Equipment and Resources positions on the Development Tree

If you're curious, the new tech tree is set in "\Data\Technologies.xml" and the related code handling that is in "\Scripts\GCO_ResearchScript.lua", with a few events related to research added in the City and Units scripts.

The Needs / Applications are not coded ATM, the corresponding tables in Technologies.xml are just for reference.

Update:
Code:
- add LeadersTimeLine table to use for Civilizations auto-naming
- update code for Civilization auto-naming, looking for potential Leader and Government-related names from the Localized DB
- add GlobalParameters 'LEADERS_REIGN_MAX_TURNS_DIFFERENCE' (default 20) to allow to pick leaders Name for whose the reign have started/ended earlier/later than the current game's turn
- bug fix : remove unused "Repair Outer Defense" projects
- add the possibility to create 3 custom files in the Mod's root folder ("custom.sql", "custom.xml" and "customText.xml") loaded after the other Database/Localized files (but before the PostUpdate.sql automation) to customize the mods without changing the base files, like in YnAMP.
- bug fix : City with harbor District should have Fishing Boats too
- balance : City Shipyard, Lighthouse and Harbor allows Fishing Boats on Sea Resources in range (the range is from the Harbor when it exists)
- bug fix : share Research Contribution when possible
- bug fix : prevent rounding Error in saved Research table

Preparatory update
Code:
- add Knasp's Data for the RegionPosition, CultureGroups, and CultureGroupsStartingRegions Tables
- update CutureMap code to use CultureGroupID instead of PlayerID
- add minimum and maximum values for Culture on plots based on Population
- prepare UI files to allow dynamic Icons and Colors replacements for Civilizations
- balance : add Research Events for "Irrigation"
- balance : "Supermarket" moved to "Refrigeration"
- bug fix : show correct value for "Academic Research" contribution

I won't be home for at least one week, I hope nothings broken by this one...

Still interested by your feedback on the Research mechanism for the 2 first Eras, TIA.

it feels good for the first few techs, with a definite feeling that it's easier to progress in areas that match your starting environment. I think I wasn't getting discovery popups for techs that were discovered passively so the effects could be a bit stealthy.
As I got into the classical era intentional research was pulling far ahead of passive quite hard which is too early imo. By that point it also felt optimal to pursue awkward beelines over a balanced progression.

I got trapped in the policy selection dialogue in my first game after I discovered 2 economic cards & couldn't fill the military slot to escape it. I think it forces the dialogue as soon as you discover 2 cards without checking whether they are appropriate categories to fill your slots.

Had the same problem.You have to get the first mil tech as soon as you can.
I also found none of the citys would expand over 7 tiles ie starting area.
So if you were not on a good area max 3 size good area could just get to 7 size.
Anybody had this problem ?

Small update
Code:
bug fix : tile acquisition was broken

Thanks for the reports, I'll look at the policy selection issue next.

Small update
Code:
- bug fix : change Chiefdom Government slots to "Wildcard"
- bug fix : prevent Culture functions from crashing when updating plots on map's edges
- add Research Yields to a few buildings

Small update
Code:
- add Research Fields contributions for Techs up to Modern Era
- bug fix: change CityNames.xml load order to prevent the deletion of some City lists when deleting the vanilla Civilizations types

Played a hundred turns and I think the Research system shows promise. I like the addition of clay by the way! I noticed 2 issues in my game:
  1. First issue I noticed is that if I couldn't fill both the wild card policy slots, then I wasn't able to adopt the single policy I had unlocked. I was only able to adopt policies once I had researched a second policy card. Then the "Adopt" button became green only when both slots were filled. An easy solution (if possible?), would be to start out having 0 policy slots but researching some early Techs would unlock policy slots. Like the Tech unlocking "Discipline" and Barracks could award 1 military or wild card slot. See spoiler for screenshots
    Spoiler Screenshots :
  2. Second issue was that I was able to stock more Materiel than the limit in my city. This was visible for at least two consecutive turns. See screenshot 3.
    Spoiler Screenshot :
Also, there was a minor typo in the tooltips for the research icons in the top. I think "buildings" was misspelled.

When it comes to suggestions for changes I would propose that Writing and Code of Laws be combined into the same "Tech". And that the Gypsum resource should provide a bonus/boost for construction, at least in dry climates.

Ideally I'll change the first government to be one wildcard slot only, then add a new government type at a position on the dev tree where you have enough policy types for it.

The overstocking was added with the mechanism to get wood from shopping forest, to give your industry the time to convert the surplus if any. There is a decay applied on the surplus, relative to the percentage of overstock.

I plan to add a government building to Code of Laws, it may not fit with writing. But as we have "Cuneiform", "Writing" could be renamed "Alphabet"

Top Bottom