Gedemon's Civilization, development thread

Ugh, what a tough spot. I do not own GS and don't plan on switching over to it, although if you decided to require that DLC, I would be strongly encouraged to get it at some future point. I suppose my not-so-strong preference is to not require GS. As such, I partially agree with Knasp, especially in regards to not requiring more DLC in addition to GS. I'm not completely sold on the idea of requiring GS, but if a strong case can be made that it has features that can enhance the mod, then why not? On the bright side, I have been able to play the current version of the mod by rolling back to the previous version of the game, and it is as enjoyable as ever.

I had a chance to check out GCO just prior to the expansion, and I must say I was really impressed with the UI elements you've added. I can't recall ever seeing tabbed tooltips before, or realizing that I needed them :goodjob:

I bought GS because it looked to me like they improved on their previous effort. Gameplay still strikes me as a bunch of "arbitrarily connected stuff" as opposed to cohesive design, but at least most of the "stuff" is individually appealing. If you were going to base your platform decision strictly on usable features, I'd say that at least the disasters, new terrain art, and geographic feature naming would make quality additions. I've not played long enough to experience railroads or canals, but those seem appealing in essence.

However, certainly go with whatever is technically more viable for your own requirements. It's easy enough to disable the expansions to play the mod, if you aren't comfortable alienating some users. On the other hand, this expansion does contain some quality pieces that would improve the mod... aside from solving technical snafus both here and with YnAMP... so it isn't an unreasonable migration.

I guess it's most important to figure out whether you can successfully disable (or repurpose) things like World Congress, political favor, etc.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm going to wait for the first post-GS patch that should come later this month, with (hopefully) the update of the SDK.

I don't know if the SDK changes it will add something signifiant for the mod, but I do hope that outside the SDK itself there will be some fix for Gathering Storm modding (like for changing plots ownership for vanilla, directly naming maps features for GS or methods for controlling and spawning natural events)

I got started on Civ4 back in '05 or '06 and I was pretty active with it up until I found EU3 ~2012 which is when I made the shift to Paradox games (Civ5 flopped for me) I was really into Rhye's and Fall and the various modmods, I found this page by searching "Historical Spawns Civ6" because I was thinking of checking out Civ6 if I could find something like the old system where a civ would spawn in at the appropriate time. Does mod do something like that?

I got started on Civ4 back in '05 or '06 and I was pretty active with it up until I found EU3 ~2012 which is when I made the shift to Paradox games (Civ5 flopped for me) I was really into Rhye's and Fall and the various modmods, I found this page by searching "Historical Spawns Civ6" because I was thinking of checking out Civ6 if I could find something like the old system where a civ would spawn in at the appropriate time. Does mod do something like that?
The mod isn't there yet, but it's definitely one of the goals. If you're interested you can read the discussion in the thread:
Civilizations selection, Historical Spawning Dates, Civil Wars & Revolutions

Small report, the development is still stopped until the bug preventing plot ownership to be changed is fixed.

I won't convert to GS, I don't want to force people to buy expansions to play this.

Until then, I'll be back into modding at the end of the month and I've switched on YnAMP features that are still linked to this.

For example, one of the possible application of my future scenario generator is to have specific generation settings for different Civ, making them more or less developed, depanding of the starting era.

That would allow to generate a semi randomly generated world when starting in renaissance era, for example to play a game as the USA with historical spawn date without having to wait for a few hundred turns before playing...

If you would like to continue develop the mod for civ VI without GS i for one would like to play it :)
I dont care to much about the official updates. Its the big mods that makes civ a good game.

(Edit after i noticed i used the wrong acronym :D )

Last edited:
Update to Assets and main mod, you need to get both (even if assets is a 4 lines update, it will not load without the change)

It's just so you can start a game without directly crashing to desktop. Not sure what mechanisms are still working and which ones are completely broken.

I know for sure that some tooltips are broken, and acquired tiles can't be worked, unless you swap them with another city.

I suppose the later will cripple the AI, but I wanted to have a base that I know is loading before the next soon to be released patch broke everything again.

And for those wondering how much work it is to simply update to a relative working state after the patches that where applied to the base game with GS release, here are some numbers:
42 files changed, 4201 insertions(+), 3550 deletions(-)

changelog:
Code:
- update to Civ6 version 1.0.0.317

Small update
Code:
- restore Stock Tooltips on city banners (for whatever reason they were rendered behind everything else, including the terrain, since GS patch)
- restore Supply Lines and Trade Routes path visualization on mouse over units flags and cities banners

Small update
Code:
- UI fix for unit flags: missing icon types, restore Health info Tooltip, restore HP bar
- UI fix for city banners: restore full colors, restore HP bar

UI and gameplay should now be fully restored, let me know if you found something missing from pre-GS patch version.

Hi! For some reason the mod crash on me. I'm only using the assets, the mod itself and YNAMP, because it asked for it. It says the mod failed to load.

Please post your logs in the bug report section.

Edit: no longer needed as civ6 patch to 1.0.0.328 fixed the issue.

Small update to provide a hacky workaround to this issue
Code:
- PlotScript can now use ExposedMembers.CityManager to set plot ownership if it exists and WorldBuilder.CityManager still doesn't

To use it, you need, once per session (ie when launching the civ6 app, until you close it or it crashes...), to do the following:
- launch the WorldBuilder
- launch the FireTuner
- in the FireTuner, on the Lua Console tab, change the Main context to one of the WorldBuilder context
- in the command line at the bottom type "ExposedMembers.CityManager = WorldBuilder.CityManager" (without the quotes...) and press enter
- quit the WB, launch a normal game with the mod

The PlotScript file should now use ExposedMembers.CityManager() to set plot ownership, avoiding the mentioned issue (plot not workable when you use the pPlot:SetOwner() function)

If the next patch still hasn't fixed the issue, I'll see if I can make this automated directly from the main menu...

Last edited:
Ok, mostly working, no issue detected so far on the current mechanism, but I had corrupted data saved on a huge map at turn 153 (and plot turn took 40+ seconds to process, I'll have a look)

Now... Some time I've passed, where were we on the development side ?

Ok, mostly working, no issue detected so far on the current mechanism, but I had corrupted data saved on a huge map at turn 153 (and plot turn took 40+ seconds to process, I'll have a look)

Now... Some time I've passed, where were we on the development side ?
The most recent additions were science yields from various fields and a population migration mechanic. Also, there were some suggestions of tweaking various aspects.

The goal before GS was to finish a stable version of some kind. Now that GS is released I guess it's time to set a new goal. :thumbsup:

The issue with plot ownership has been fixed in 1.0.0.328, thanks @ Firaxis, the workaround using the WB is no longer needed.

I'll check that turn time this WE.

Small progress report, I'm currently coding the first step for processing technology in cities, which is creating the knowledge resources (on events), "storing" it, using it to create research points for techs, then decaying it.

Not sure if I'll have something ready for the WE, but there is hope.

I've not looked at the processing turn time yet, I'd like to rework the supply lines path finding first, and for that I'll have to check the river pathfinding that I also use in YnAMP and seems to fail in some cases there.

Working on the UI for the research mechanism:

Clipboard-3.jpg

The "knowledge points" are gained from events and added to the "citizen knowledge" pool in the cities, then each turn the citizen knowledge generates research points that will be used to progress on related techs when they are available.

I'll add creation of other knowledge sources (tablets, scrolls, books, ...) from the citizen knowledge later, they will have a lower decay rate and will also be used to generate research points each turn.

Update:
Code:
- implement the "Citizen Knowledge" resource which is created by research events and all local technology events, then is used to produce progress points for related technologies each turn then decay
- add configuration option to keep technology events global and direct (not tested, and all research events are still producing knowledge in capital)
- add event "studying resource" to produce knowledge/research when specific resources are stocked in cities (for example Bronze working knowledge when you have captured/traded Bronze Equipment and have it stored it in a city)
- add literacy value in cities (for the moment simply based on the Upper Class and half the Middle Class ratio) used to calculate how much research points are created from knowledge resources each turn
- update research tooltips presentation in Top panel and technology tooltips in the Development Tree
- balance : lower Brick Maker materiel production, now available from start

Spoiler UI changes in the Development tree :
Clipboard-4.jpg
Clipboard-6.jpg
Clipboard-7.jpg

I still need to code the UI for cities (ATM the "knowledge resources" are visible in the "other resources" tooltip on city banners, with Luxuries), and re-code the old science UI for the Top Panel to show the knowledge pool and the progress points created by it.

I'd also like feedback on the UI and the mechanism, if some parts need clarifications.

Top Bottom