General A New Dawn discussion

Question: I remember a bunch of free GPs from techs during early Classic Era. Are they gone/or am I just really slow getting to these techs?

Question: I remember a bunch of free GPs from techs during early Classic Era. Are they gone/or am I just really slow getting to these techs?
If I recall correctly there was a revision some months ago with lot of them but I guess we removed some because players can jump from one to the next one and this was causing balancing problem.

Welp, had some fairly major computer issues and the game I'd been playing for the past few weeks went down with the rest of the computer. I grabbed the mod folder and put it onto my iomega storage to move over to my other computer earlier, but when I switched on my computer (the unstable one) to grab the recent savefile too... Well, that's when everything just went to pieces for it. File got zapped while I was trying to move it, and only half of it made it onto the storage unit (And thus can't be read)

Ah well, will just have to start a new game it seems. :sad:

Not fully related to AND, but I was toying with the idea of learning more about modding, and while I know how to do some XML edits to civics and units, I thought about adding in a full building from AND into standard Civ. I picked a simple'ish one (Fire Pit) and that's when I hit my first roadblock :lol:
Art files and etc, can't get at them and the modding tutorials here on CivFanatics point me to an exe that just returns an error when I try and open AND's pak files. Think I'll just go back to tinkering with XML stuff :sad:

Welp, had some fairly major computer issues and the game I'd been playing for the past few weeks went down with the rest of the computer. I grabbed the mod folder and put it onto my iomega storage to move over to my other computer earlier, but when I switched on my computer (the unstable one) to grab the recent savefile too... Well, that's when everything just went to pieces for it. File got zapped while I was trying to move it, and only half of it made it onto the storage unit (And thus can't be read)

Ah well, will just have to start a new game it seems. :sad:

Not fully related to AND, but I was toying with the idea of learning more about modding, and while I know how to do some XML edits to civics and units, I thought about adding in a full building from AND into standard Civ. I picked a simple'ish one (Fire Pit) and that's when I hit my first roadblock :lol:
Art files and etc, can't get at them and the modding tutorials here on CivFanatics point me to an exe that just returns an error when I try and open AND's pak files. Think I'll just go back to tinkering with XML stuff :sad:

If you were modding the base game files, you need to copy the AND pak files into it. However I highly recommend you do not mod the base game. It will affect all mods, since the game falls back to the BTS files if a mod does not change a particular file.

If you were modding the base game files, you need to copy the AND pak files into it. However I highly recommend you do not mod the base game. It will affect all mods, since the game falls back to the BTS files if a mod does not change a particular file.

It's actually BUG installed as a 'Mod' so it's technically standard BTS (No new mechanics, units, etc) but being run in the Mods directory. Probably should have mentioned that ^^;

Aaah... So I have to have all of AND's pak files in the directory and not just pull a few files out of it?
That's a lot of megabytes for an otherwise very small change!

It's actually BUG installed as a 'Mod' so it's technically standard BTS (No new mechanics, units, etc) but being run in the Mods directory. Probably should have mentioned that ^^;

Aaah... So I have to have all of AND's pak files in the directory and not just pull a few files out of it?
That's a lot of megabytes for an otherwise very small change!

Yes, but FPK loads only when necessary. It won't slow your game AFAIK.

Yes, but FPK loads only when necessary. It won't slow your game AFAIK.

I meant having to copy a 300MB+ file into my 'mod' (which is only a few MB in size right now) just for a few small files. :p
A lot of MB to copy over and a lot of files I don't need nor want, just for a few small items.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13465349 said:
You can simply unpack and pack again only needed files if you feel like trying something new :)

That's the problem I'm having right now though. The modding tutorial I was following points me to an exe called PakBuild or something, and it returns an error when I try to open the AND fpk files. In fact, they won't even show up in the directories when I navigate to the mod's folder! :confused:

That's the problem I'm having right now though. The modding tutorial I was following points me to an exe called PakBuild or something, and it returns an error when I try to open the AND fpk files. In fact, they won't even show up in the directories when I navigate to the mod's folder! :confused:

You're probably trying to use File -> Open. That's for FPK project layout files, if you're trying to repeat a packing that you made before. When you are trying to unpack someone else's FPK, use PAK -> Unpack. Then PakBuild should ask you where you want the unpacked files to be saved.

Yeah that was what I was trying to do :blush:

Another thing I was wondering about was putting in new music, but it doesn't seem to be as simple as just placing it in a folder? Some of the Prehistoric/Ancient music from C2C I kinda liked and wanted to add in to both my BTS "Mod" and AND, but I had zero idea how to go about that :lol:
C2C has all their music in era-specific folders, but BTS and AND don't? :confused:

On another note, I managed to find a save of the game I was playing. A dozen or so turns behind the latest one, but at least it wasn't corrupted :lol:
Played up until 1907 and that's where I decided to set the game aside. It was just a bunch of hitting End Turn and waiting a minute or so for the next turn to start (Which is why I generally don't often play Huge maps or anything slower than Epic!), but the real killer was the fact the game was already essentially 'over'.

I had made an Alliance with Germany, and between the two of us we just ran away with the tech race. Aztecs and Summeria somehow didn't have Communism yet so I gifted it to them in hopes that they'd make a Permanent Alliance so that something would happen but... *shrugs*

Even without Germany, I had almost 60 cities. The Dutch and Aztec were for a long time equalling or passing me in power, but then suddenly Atototzli just plummeted into and beneath the ground on the power graph and never recovered. Seriosuly, she went from 1.1 ratio to 3.2 in almost three turns :eek: I have no idea what happened.

Honestly the fun has gone poof, and I don't know if I'll finish this game, but I saved it aside 'just in case' I felt like playing it to the Mastery's End later.
In any case, this is the final map of the world before I set it aside.

AND-Game-02-RP_Map.jpg

Map is just *slightly* different than the first, namely because the screenshot I took was skewed in a different way and 'wrapped' around the world borders slightly, and I just simply redrew all the countries instead of editing them. I wonder if there's an easier way to go about this :lol:

Yeah that was what I was trying to do :blush:

Another thing I was wondering about was putting in new music, but it doesn't seem to be as simple as just placing it in a folder? Some of the Prehistoric/Ancient music from C2C I kinda liked and wanted to add in to both my BTS "Mod" and AND, but I had zero idea how to go about that :lol:
C2C has all their music in era-specific folders, but BTS and AND don't? :confused:

It doesn't actually matter where the music is, but you have to edit three separate files in order to add a new song. First, you have to edit AudioDefines.xml to give the song a SoundID, then edit Audio2DScripts.xml to assign the SoundID to a ScriptID, and then finally edit EraInfos.xml to tell the game to play the script with the given ScriptID during the appropriate era. Most of it you can probably do with a copy-and-paste from an existing SoundID and ScriptID.

Okay so I'm a bit unclear on exact dates for average entering of eras for difficulties above Noble, but... Is Darius supposed to be in the Medieval Era during 345AD? (Actually had Feudalism a few turns before that)

A peek at his capitol (Courtesy of Establish Embassy)
Civ4ScreenShot2970.JPG

As well as the save file if anyone wants to take a peek (Or try my game out for themselves :lol: )

Normal Speed / Monarch Difficulty / Large Fractal Map (This may account for the early Medieval, but he was researching the Feudalism prerequisites shortly after 5 ~ 17 AD. Even for Normal that seems a bit fast? Might be Monarch then!)

I've never actually played on Monarch like, ever. Prince is the highest I've gone (And I still struggle with BTS's Noble AI, but blast through them easily in AND. So I've been trying Prince and stuff lately) so I'm not entirely clear on how fast the AI should be teching. I can't tell if anyone else has entered the Medieval though, but I know Darius is there.

Okay so I'm a bit unclear on exact dates for average entering of eras for difficulties above Noble, but... Is Darius supposed to be in the Medieval Era during 345AD? (Actually had Feudalism a few turns before that)

A peek at his capitol (Courtesy of Establish Embassy)
View attachment 382942

As well as the save file if anyone wants to take a peek (Or try my game out for themselves :lol: )

Normal Speed / Monarch Difficulty / Large Fractal Map (This may account for the early Medieval, but he was researching the Feudalism prerequisites shortly after 5 ~ 17 AD. Even for Normal that seems a bit fast? Might be Monarch then!)

I've never actually played on Monarch like, ever. Prince is the highest I've gone (And I still struggle with BTS's Noble AI, but blast through them easily in AND. So I've been trying Prince and stuff lately) so I'm not entirely clear on how fast the AI should be teching. I can't tell if anyone else has entered the Medieval though, but I know Darius is there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages

(5th century to 15th century). So 345AD is barely early.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages

(5th century to 15th century). So 345AD is barely early.

Mm well I was referring to in-game times (Since there was a problem where the AI was consistently hitting Medieval and Post-Medieval far too early than they should be)

Myself and several of my neighbors (last I checked) can't even see the prerequisite techs for Vassalage/Guilds, so we're not even near the Medieval despite Darius having been there for a while :lol:

That's something I'm trying to balance continuously. Time is more or less right but the harder the handicap level, the faster AI is researching. So something like that is more or less unavoidable. But other civs shouldn't be too far and yes, I still notice some civs being slightly ahead in every game. Recently I've tried Flexible AI and that helps a little.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13468357 said:
That's something I'm trying to balance continuously. Time is more or less right but the harder the handicap level, the faster AI is researching. So something like that is more or less unavoidable. But other civs shouldn't be too far and yes, I still notice some civs being slightly ahead in every game. Recently I've tried Flexible AI and that helps a little.

Probably should have figured as much. If it was on Noble though and he was entering the Medieval around that time while everyone else was trailing behind, then I think I'd be a bit more worried :lol:

I don't think I'm doing too terribly bad in this game, given the difficulty level. I've got a city that can pump out triple promoted swords every 1 or 2 turns, and catapults every three turns. I've got the ONLY source of Iron in the whole world (Darius owns the only Copper resource :lol: ) and I had two of my other cities on Military duty since their founding, only taking them off every so often for infrastructure. Happiness is a major issue, the WW ramping up quickly, but Monarchy's helping with that tons.

The Khemer to the south, despite having longbows and elephants, I managed to take on and raze several of their cities - including their floodplains capitol :devil:
(Despite that, they still wanted ME to pay THEM for peace, simply because they were close to 0.7 on the power graph even though I razed two of their cities. I razed another city with two wonders in it, then they finally would make peace :rolleyes: )

Well I got... Something to work :lol:
Civ4ScreenShot2999.JPG
Sort of anyway. ^^

Fiddling with this has been a welcome break from my AND game, which took a turn for the worse when Darius declared war on me (He's got Grenadiers and I only just now got muskets, several turns AFTER he declared on me :eek: )

Well I got... Something to work :lol:
View attachment 383070
Sort of anyway. ^^

Fiddling with this has been a welcome break from my AND game, which took a turn for the worse when Darius declared war on me (He's got Grenadiers and I only just now got muskets, several turns AFTER he declared on me :eek: )

You are missing the text key entry. It's in the XML/Text.

I have a question about how fixed borders work. I claimed a tile outside one of my cities that my culture didn't reach yet (it was a hill across a river) and which had no culture on it. After signing an open borders treaty with the Hittites, one of their units (the Hittite Chariot) came along and claimed the tile for their city instead (though their culture hadn't reached the tile yet either). Why was the Hittite unit able to claim the tile even though no one had culture on it? Why did their claim overrule mine?

Top Bottom