General discussion thread

Great! I will volunteer, even though I might get a bit into trouble - timewise - because I would like to try avain's new QC version with its new stone age feature. (Would that be something - optional! - for CCV, as well? ;) )

My slow pc will hopefully reveal your speed improvements easily. :) But first I have to continue a bit my current 4.15 game for a better comparison. Btw, is it possible to install different versions of CCV side by side on my pc? IIRC there is no possibility to choose another directory, or is there?

Great! I will volunteer, even though I might get a bit into trouble - timewise - because I would like to try avain's new QC version with its new stone age feature. (Would that be something - optional! - for CCV, as well? ;) )

My slow pc will hopefully reveal your speed improvements easily. :) But first I have to continue a bit my current 4.15 game for a better comparison. Btw, is it possible to install different versions of CCV side by side on my pc? IIRC there is no possibility to choose another directory, or is there?

You can rename your current installed CCV. Then download and install new CCV. Then when you are ready to continue your first installation, rename the new CCV to something and rename your old CCV back to its first name and continue. Continue renaming folders back and forward until you are done with any of identical named mod folder.

Thanks for your advice os79. I just thought that if I do that, uninstalling the first version might become difficult (when ver4.16 comes out ;) ) , but, well, I will just delete it then.

Thanks for your advice os79. I just thought that if I do that, uninstalling the first version might become difficult (when ver4.16 comes out ;) ) , but, well, I will just delete it then.

No, rename it back to original name like you would do to play that certain folder, then go ahead and uninstall. Should not be impossible, I believe.

No, rename it back to original name like you would do to play that certain folder, then go ahead and uninstall. Should not be impossible, I believe.
Well, I was thinking that the registry key will be overwritten once you install another version next to the old version. But, well, that might not be such a big deal. So, thanks for helping me out. :)

Old post:
Spoiler :
Thomas SG, I had a look into your Art.fpk file and saw that you included quite a number of terrain textures. The files seem to be quite big. Are these high resolution textures? If so, are they necessary to run your mod or could I remove them to see whether that helps my pc to better handle your mod?

Okay, the textures weren't the problem. I removed them, played and had the same problem (with 4.15-speed 1). For some reason CCV(or better the Bts-exe) called the Dr. Watson software (no clue why :confused: ) and then the game crashed. I saw that only by chance when a firewall message popped up. I will load the save again and see whether that will happen again and if that is responsible for the random non-reproducable crashs that I had. If so, I will report that in the bug-thread.

Hello there.

Just stumbled across your mod a few days ago, and wanted to thank you for your great work. I like the mod very much.

But I wouldnt post if I hadnt any input for you. I hope suggestions are appreciated.

Bugs
I used 4.15. I encountered a small bug with cities. Once one of the AI Civs suddenly had a city on a coast square right next to another or its cities. It seemed that the cities of said CIV were generally somewhat buggy as I captured another city because I attacked a ship off its coast with a helicopter gunship - while the city itself was still fully defended (3 riflemen). I dont know wheter that was caused by me modifying that CIV through the world editor (erased a minor civ and placed a city of the mayas in its spot to get rid of that minor roman civ which had been besieged since almost game start by that larger CIV).

Something I noticed about the AI was, that it did not use the first strike capability on my units when I besieged their cities. The AI just sat in there and let itself get pounded to bits by my longbowmen and archers (although it had about 10 archers in that city). That seems to be a problem with AI:AI sieges as well (at least in the early game. The Roman AI that was besieged by the maya AI never ever tried to break free of the city (even when it seemed to have numerical superiority and should have been capable of dislodging those troops from its teritory).

Central Bourse
Well I think the name is somewhat off - sounds rather strange and antique - though as a German speaker I have no idea wheter it ever was used in England at any time - though I doubt it. With Stockexchange beeing the English UB, maybe one could replace it by a "Central bank" and change its attributes. Maybe change it to 35 % for the city and 15 % nationwide to reflect the positive effects of modern banking and money systems for the economy.

Nukes
Another naming issue. Maybe you could rename the strategic ballistic missile to tactical ballistic missile. Strategic ballistic missiles are ICBMs which are already present.

One question on nuke usage. Is it intentional that strategic bombers vanish when they nuked a target? Is there a way to reuse them? Its a bit odd to lose a bomber after a nuclear attack (though it might be somewhat unbalancing to have a unit that can nuke repeatedly - maybe force them to wait 2-3 turns before they can be used again - to simulate the relative scarcity of nuclear weapons).

Austria
In one thread I read that there were plans to include a Austria CIV. If it ever gets done id suggest to use Pandurs and Jäger units as its UU - first instead of cuirassiers, second instead of grenadiers.

UUs
Some 2ndUU suggestions.
Germany: U-Boot (lower chance of detection)
US: Like in CIV 3 an F-15
France. Maybe scrap the first UU and add two new ones (the musketeers never were something too special on real battlefields but their successors were). 1st would be Imperial Guard Grenadiers (higher bonus against other infantry or defense bonus) 2nd would be Polish Guard lancers (instead of cuirassiers). Those were the premier units of the Napoleonic armies and in contrast to the Royal Musketeers realy were combat units of high renown.

Amphibious Landing ships
One final suggestion. As the transport ships get a bit old after a while. How about adding a late game modern era transport ship like the US Wasp Class or French Mistral class. Theyd be a bit faster than the normal transports with the same capacity plus the capability to house 2 helicopter and/or jumpjet units.

Welcome. :)

Just some short comments because I'm in a hurry again. But thanks for your ideas and comments. :goodjob:

But I wouldnt post if I hadnt any input for you. I hope suggestions are appreciated.

Yes of course. :)

Something I noticed about the AI was, that it did not use the first strike capability on my units when I besieged their cities. The AI just sat in there and let itself get pounded to bits by my longbowmen and archers (although it had about 10 archers in that city). That seems to be a problem with AI:AI sieges as well (at least in the early game. The Roman AI that was besieged by the maya AI never ever tried to break free of the city (even when it seemed to have numerical superiority and should have been capable of dislodging those troops from its teritory).

Noticed this bug in my game on the weekend too. I'll try to teach the AI.

Central Bourse
Well I think the name is somewhat off - sounds rather strange and antique - though as a German speaker I have no idea wheter it ever was used in England at any time - though I doubt it. With Stockexchange beeing the English UB, maybe one could replace it by a "Central bank" and change its attributes. Maybe change it to 35 % for the city and 15 % nationwide to reflect the positive effects of modern banking and money systems for the economy.

I'm not happy with the name too but Central Bank can't be used because of an event using it.

Nukes
Another naming issue. Maybe you could rename the strategic ballistic missile to tactical ballistic missile. Strategic ballistic missiles are ICBMs which are already present.

Calling it tactical missile would be wrong because tactical nukes are much weaker. Name and description in BTS doesn't fit to the effect of that nukes. And strategic just tells you that the intention of this weapon is to be used against targets in the back of your enemy and not in the front line. And as MAD nukes and in combination with missile subs that's true. So no.

Especially there will be change in the future of CCV. I've modified the nuke effect for a simulation of different nuke types. And like the current names the future unit names will also tell you about the nuke power.

If called:

- tactical (< 1kT) -> 1 plot is attacked (one rocket type planed; no MAD nuke)
- strategic (~ 10kT - 25MT) -> 9 plots are attacked (one rocket type, ICBM and three bomber types; MAD nuke)
- super strategic (~ 50 - 100 MT) -> 21 plots are attacked (just one bomber type; MAD nuke)

One question on nuke usage. Is it intentional that strategic bombers vanish when they nuked a target? Is there a way to reuse them? Its a bit odd to lose a bomber after a nuclear attack (though it might be somewhat unbalancing to have a unit that can nuke repeatedly - maybe force them to wait 2-3 turns before they can be used again - to simulate the relative scarcity of nuclear weapons).

This is intentional. If the nuclear bombers could be reused without building a new nuke nuclear bombers would be IMBA. And the cost of those bombers are almost for the nuke and not for this single bomber. So building a new one is somehow the same as to reuse an old one. Nobody knows what's happening to the pilot and the bomber after dropping the bomb.

Germany: U-Boot (lower chance of detection)

Amphibious Landing ships
One final suggestion. As the transport ships get a bit old after a while. How about adding a late game modern era transport ship like the US Wasp Class or French Mistral class. Theyd be a bit faster than the normal transports with the same capacity plus the capability to house 2 helicopter and/or jumpjet units.

Not possible because some players may not run Advanced Invisibility or Advanced Cargo. UUs (even all units) must be useful in all game configurations.

I've decided to upload the in between version I'm currently playing with. But notice that there is a late game bug. But I fear that this bug is also in 4.15. Maybe you can help me to find it. But this version is less buggy than 4.15. Several python and SDK bugs from 4.15 are solved! -> 4.20 Download link

A little game play change should be mentioned. Carriers have now benefits in combat from the carried fighters and helicopters. The base combat value of a carrier is now the maximum of its own base combat value and the maximum current combat value (modified by combat promotions) of the loaded fighters and helicopters. And of course the AI knows the higher values. No problems for combat odd calculations.

Example:

A carrier has now a base combat value of 14:strength:. And the carrier has loaded a damaged jet fighter of the current power value of 20:strength:. The fighter has the combat 1 promotion (+10%). So the carrier will have in battle a base combat value of 22:strength: instead of 14:strength:! And all promotions of the carrier will work now for this higher :strength:! So if the carrier has also combat 1 its power increases from 15.4:strength: to 24.2:strength:!!! Keep that in mind and be careful attacking carriers. ;)

Hey, great! Trying to download it right now (hope my connection doesn't break down in between as it did the last time...). The version number jumped quite a bit from 4.15 to 4.20. Did you add a lot of new stuff (besides that carrier thing you mentioned in the last post)? From the post in the bug thread it seems you added some more features. But I might be mistaken.

Hey, great! Trying to download it right now (hope my connection doesn't break down in between as it did the last time...). The version number jumped quite a bit from 4.15 to 4.20. Did you add a lot of new stuff (besides that carrier thing you mentioned in the last post)? From the post in the bug thread it seems you added some more features. But I might be mistaken.

The version number is higher because I increased it by every significant change or solved massive bug or CTD source. But the Advanced Diplomacy is really new in this version. But there is no trade of units in CCV! Don't like it as it is solved at the moment. Even added code Afforess didn't include or forgot in his standalone version (my latetest downloaded version!). So for example you got also the benefits from BUG now. @ is the symbol for the embassy icon. But I also added this information to the internal help. If you got an embassy you will see a little globe. :mischief: Also added code with reference to the mastery vicotory. And I've added some code improvements in Python. But not much. Oh, and the commander promotions now only work for the unit with the commander! That is intentional. And I repaired the acquiring of the commander promotion itself. And the update of the Great Commander Promotion is also fixed. There were lots of mistakes I saw while playing. You will soon notice the difference when playing.

Going to the next official release!!!

CCV 4.21 is uploading now because I finally was able to kill (one of) the left late game bug(s). :) But Lost Battles is not included. Sorry. Had no time to import it into this version.

But 4.21 is a bit faster and more stable as 4.15. After killing so many bugs I think it's good for the next official release.

@CellKu:
Sorry for the fast next release. :sad: But if you started a game with 4.20 you should be able to go on under 4.21!

@CellKu:
Sorry for the fast next release. :sad: But if you started a game with 4.20 you should be able to go on under 4.21!
Hey, no problem! :) I told you that I prefer a new and more stable version over continuing a game. And when you incorporate Lost Battles don't hesitate to upload it because of such a fear - I will gladly start a new game, again... ;)

Sorry. We need an urgent patch for 4.21! The official release includes a test file. Furthermore the patch 4.22 includes important changes for the Advanced Diplomacy! Here is the link

Thomas SG, when you are back you might want to have a look into the RevDCM thread. It seems they were able to fix a few things. Maybe that way you can get rid of a few problems of CCV.

Thomas SG, I read your post in the Quot Capita thread, whre you wrote that you did a major code update of CCV. Was this only with an eye to hunting and making CCV more stable or did you also add new features?

Thomas SG, I read your post in the Quot Capita thread, whre you wrote that you did a major code update of CCV. Was this only with an eye to hunting and making CCV more stable or did you also add new features?

I'm still hunting errors and especially CTDs. That's all I can do at the moment. Found once again a CTD from Mastery Victory today. And so sorry, but no. I had no time to add new stuff. And it even makes no sense. That would make my search even more difficult. Just the changes from RevDCM like limited religions are also imported to CCV. And some minor changes are done because of my personal experience playing CCV. So the rules for the firststrike attack will be modified. Maybe I'll add Lost Battles in the next release.

Top Bottom