• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

General Forum Office of Domestic Policy

I always like to get cottages asap. Especially when playing a Financial civ.
I’d vote for the cottage… but I’m not a very experienced player.

Anyway – I vote for the cottage.

Just to clarify, did you chop the forests inside or outside our fat cross? The ones outside give 10:hammers: less but no health penalty.

There is actually a 3rd option: build a road to bypass the lake (useless until Fishing) and connect the trade route. This gives more commerce towards CoL than chopping an outside forest or building a cottage!

I chopped the 2 forests (1 forest) inside the fat cross, the save file is there so you may attempt both (or all 3 options)

Let me know if you can do it better but ultimately I think the 15 GP(and an increase % chance of GS and not GP) is better than the one cottage. Also we get one road tile closer at the end of the day

Well now that Dave is here the tough descision is up to Mr. President ;)

Ultimately I am leaning to the double forest chop, but if you think the cottage is better we will know by the end of this turn :)

(Don't forget with the forest chop I actually build the road first then chop (+2 extra turns of health) Actually technically speaking you could do both road in the forests then chop...I didn't try that yet:cry:

Well I just tried the double road first followed by double chop and same thing again Oracle in 1360 B.C. however I did manage to accumulate another 6 GP points (36/100) So I really do think this is the way to go! (an extra 21 GP points all towards GS is very important this early in the game :) )

Thanks for the test game! It looks impossible to beat 1360 B.C. So I tried to minimize our long-term costs.

1. Road on the spot
2. Build a cottage
3. Chop outside the fat cross.

This gets us the Oracle and 15 GPP (or 12 GPP + 4:hammers: overflow) in 1360 B.C. So the question is, are 21 GP points worth 2 forests and 1 health?

Well with that being the case that we can keep the +1 health then I am all for that!
Also we keep those 2 forests for bigger chops when we have math :goodjob:

Not to mention in hte long run our trade route is set up as well as we have one more cottage!

Dave I say go with that plan but I obviously don't know the orders for the next ~10 turns ;)

Orders were basically...

- Take a citizen off the rice and turn him into a scientist whenever the food bin can handle it. (Must be done before the cottage is finished)
- Use miners to get the remaining GPP.

Plus road, cottage, chop for Peter Grimes.

Hi,

looks like I'm too late for the discussion (damn sleep times :p ), but I'm glad we're going for the option that keeps the forests and the extra health! :goodjob: We have to think long-term in a game against humans, and personally I like to preserve some forests for the extra health, and if it comes to that, lumbermills.

-Kylearan

:bump:

Ok – so this thread is a little old – but I didn't see a newer Domestic discussion thread, and didn't want to just continually clog the "discussion turns 81-100" thread.

As I was looking at the map, I noticed what I think would be a GREAT site for our first costal town.

Screenshot:

This site has:
* Only 1 overlapping tile with Immortal Keep
* Quick access to our current network of towns
* Access to Clams, Whales, and Fish.
* 9 coast tiles = lots of easy food and gold
* Lots of forest to use
* 1 Grassland Hill
* It's costal – so allows trade & exploration by sea
* Only 1 unusable desert tile
* Only 1 non-useful Ocean tile
* Will offer us an extra whale for trade after 2nd culture expansion (should be easy by the time we get optics)
Anyway – to me, this looks like a fantastic site, and I think we should jump this up on our priority list to settle.
Am I missing something?

The seafood is useless until the border expands and we build a workboat. We can get the fish/cow site up and running much sooner.

I agree it is a good city site though. I'd like to have a warrior scout the north coast so we can see how all our coastal cities would fit in.

Is there a map of our current settlement plan anywhere?

And you're right about the need for at least 1 expansion before that city is very weak. But with our extra Missionary sitting around, we could have that expansion just 10 turns after settlement.

We also need another warrior headed towards the capital ASAP for the :)

(it grows in 2 turns) I suggest sending the warrior (3 turns to get there, but in time with the Monarchy Revolution) from Immortal Keep as it can switch to the mine anytime to pump out fast a warrior (+6 :hammers: next turn)

That way when the Capital Grows again (Size 7) it will be working all of it's "Good Tiles" From there s can grow and we can use the Whip :evil:

I still haven’t seen any maps or plans on a Settlement strategy… and I think it’d be useful to do some more planning on this topic – so I cooked up a quick map of what I remember of the sites we’ve discussed.

I know the plan is to settle on location “A” next – and I support that.
But where do we go from there?
I hope this map helps!

I’d advocate going after location D very quickly – just for strategic advantage against Piffle. But we may also want to get something laid down over on the isthmus to Loco here before too long. (location E)

Please offer more ideas for new locations to settle, order of settlement, etc. This isn't my department... I just wanted to help get the ball rolling!

(City planning is actually under the President's juristiction, but you're welcome to discuss it here. ;)

I think we would benefit more from moving Site A east one tile. It could use those 2 extra mines for production.

I agree with settling the Site A region followed by Site D.

I can send an axeman and worker to begin clearing the Site D jungle in a few turns.

(City planning is actually under the President's juristiction, but you're welcome to discuss it here. ;)
:blush: oh man! You think I'd know that!!

well - there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion in this thread that I'm cluttering - so with President Memphus's indulgence, and your gracious hosting - we might as well keep the talk here! :lol:

If we're going to prioritize location "D" as our next target after "A" - then will we also want to commit other resources right away?

I imagine our minimum commitment would need to include 1 Axeman and 2 workers – 1 worker to go with the settler and start clearing jungle, and 1 worker to begin laying road on the way down to location D… so we can quickly move forces down to that vital strategic spot if things go bad with Piffle – when worker #2 arrives, he can then help with the mass de-jungling that’s necessary down there.

More workers would obviously be gravy, but getting that city up and running obviously has to be balanced against improving our core.

After D, I’d go to location “B” next – it’d be nice to get a boat out on that side of our continent to go looking for more friends!
Then I’d go to E and then C (even though C will be an awesome site when it’s up and running.)

Other opinions?

It is ok not a problem :p

As for Sites, other things to consider are once D and E are dounded will will hold a key tactical naval advantage, the ability to go East / West Even if Piffle founds a second city that can allow a naval passage the will still be blocked off by the next penisula from Loco :)

As for Commitment (Site D), 1 Worker and 1 Axeman will work to begin with as they will beat the settler there. The second worker can get there by building the road. This would also be where I would suggest sending the Missionary as we want high culture (Even though I never build Walls I would suggest it here too) seeing as this City will be under on slaught.) And the Border Expansion ASAP.

As For E I would put that last on my list as Loco is Miles Away, the don't even know the terrain yet, and Would Settle Where Shadow Tiger Was RIP first before venturing up any Closer. :)

My Order of Building Cities?

A (One Tile East) -> D -> C -> B (One Tile North) -> F (Northern Eastern Coastal (with the sheep) We can't Figure out yet but will know in a couple of Turns) -

Top Bottom