Gesta Danorum - the Deeds of the Danes

Time for another update!

The war didn't as I expected. I quickly took Munkeborg (NW corner of map, little one tile island) , and used the island as a base for attack onto main Fyn. Kerteminde falled easily. In an attempt to take Odense before they could gather their forces. However my army was destroyed at the gates of their capital, and I had to wait for new recruits of soldiers. In the mean time I was able to capture the badly defended town of Strib.

After Kolt was destroyed on Samsø, both Vest- and Sydsjælland landed settlers on the island. Vestsjælland got to build a town first, and the Sydsjælland settler was forced to wait for a new oppertunity, which wouldn't be far away. Soon Vestsjælland attacked, but lost, my new city Strib. Suddenly I was at war on two fronts, somethnig that proved very hard to handle. In the end I decided to make peace with the Nordfynboers in exchange of the city of Svendborg, which they had captured from Lillebælt, who had destroyed Sydfyn earlier in the game.

Now I was ready to launch my attack on Vestsjælland. I allied myself with Syd- and Østsjælland and attacked their town on Samsø. The town was raised at the capture, and Sydsjælland was fast to build a new on, with their old settler. Now I just captured Høng on mainland Sjælland. Soon my forces should be able to expand my very strangely shaped empire into central Sjælland!

BTW: Why isn't there any bonus grassland?

It sounds like an interesting game - and you're only in the early middle ages. If you get the chance, could you try the Snaphane unit? It would be interesting to know if it's really worth anything at all. It might need some changes.
About the bonus grassland: I left it out. Partly bevause I never really liked the idea of small grey dots giving production bonuses. Partly because there should already be plenty of good terrain. I mean, in a normal civ game some of the tiles in the city radius are usually wasted on things like jungle or desert or tundra. But this is almost pure grassland. So I needed something to make the terrain a little more challenging. But if more production is needed on the map, I'll just add some more bonus resources.

Ok I decided to stop my game. It was getting too annoying fighting wars around the world. My general impression is pretty good, but I think the AI has some issues. They pretty most only build farms, which means they got almost none production in their cities. Instead all cities grow to size 10 immedietly with an almost endless supply of food. BTW you should rename Beaches to Dunes, which means Klit. The pollution is also a bit frustrating when you can't remove it.

Yoda Power said:
Ok I decided to stop my game. It was getting too annoying fighting wars around the world. My general impression is pretty good, but I think the AI has some issues. They pretty most only build farms, which means they got almost none production in their cities. Instead all cities grow to size 10 immedietly with an almost endless supply of food. BTW you should rename Beaches to Dunes, which means Klit. The pollution is also a bit frustrating when you can't remove it.
I know whay you mean. I think the standard map is too large for a game - there's no time to build an empire. maybe you should try the small map.
I'm not really sure what to do about the mining/farming problem... I'll think about it.
Good idea about the Dunes. I was looking for a better name than beach but couldn't think of anything. It'll sound less weird on random maps.
I'm a bit surprised that you had pollution that early. When did it start? Maybe I should move the "clean pollution" ability to an earlier tech.

@grumpylad: I just tried downloading and it worked. What was your problem exactly?

Well the pollution came when I built Commercial Docks I think.

Looks like a cool mod. Strange to look at a civmap of your own country! In most maps, Danmark mostly consist of two tiles..

Thanks for reviving the thread, neldor (is that name a Tolkien reference, or am I imagining things?).
I know what you mean about the map. The largest map of Danmark I've seen in any mod must have been the one for KingArthurs next version of Going Viking. That is like 10x10 tiles, but yeah - usually it's less than 5 tiles. Really annoying, specially because people never get the shape right. But I guess that was one of my reasons for making this. Getting the job done (relatively) properly.

Hi Juul

I downloaded your modpack and it looks great, I can't wait to get started.

Mojn

Ah crap, after a few turns played I get an error message about Civ3C has found an error and that the game has to close :(

This is the error I get.

And what happens in 3550 BC? All the games I start in your mod crash at that year.

Attachments

• Unavngivet.JPG
    Unavngivet.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 182
Ermm, I made a new game today and that one works fine (so far). I'm crossing my fingers :)

According to the Civilopedia I can't build a Naval Harbor unless I have already built a Fishing port. I have no trouble building them without building Fishing ports first.

I'm happy it works as well, it's a delight to see things I have read, heard, seen or been taught about suddenly pop up in Civ3 :D

Are you still interested in hearing about bugs in your mod juul or wont you do anymore work on it?

Well, I think my work is done here. I worked on this mod for far too long and I really don't feel like improving this any more. That being said, I will of course fix any serious problems. Just don't expect any larger "expansions".
So if annybody wants to take over this mod or parts of it, feel free to do so (though asking first is always appeciated).

Top Bottom