Get me out of war???!!!

kind_kim

Chieftain
Sorry if this has been asked to death but how do people keep out of war? Do you have to give your neighbors everything they ask for all the time, even if you're average or strong compared to them?

I'm trying to make my country nice and build temples and libraries, but the Chinese and the Aztecs keep demanding things. If I don't give it they declare war and then I have to make a lot of units and no improvments. This has been going on all game and it's already after 700 AD. Sometimes they do this just a few turns after we sign a peace treaty.

Does anyone know how to get them to leave you alone just for a while? Thanks!

Pikemen, spearmen, cavalry, tanks, global domination, 2-3 units per city+workers, declare war on them, give them nice stuff every once in a while, get an embassy, nuke the whole world just because youre losing, destroy them, get a right of passage send in 20+ units and screw up their land and kill their workers, send in 20+ workers and screw up their land, get others to declare war on them... Remember: MAIM AND KILL AND MAIM AND KILL AND MAIM AND KILL AND MAIM AND YESSS YOU GOT IT!!!:crazyeye:

ALL HAIL PHARAOH!:egypt:

Ahem, just a few random thoughts... ;)

Keeping other civs as allies (MPP, regular trade, establish embassy, etc...) helps - Polite or Gracious civs are less likely to attack and demand from you, but they still do sometimes.

Keeping a large military will usually make them think twice before attacking you. Have some high production cities make a lot of units for defense in between other improvements. This is especially important if you have a lot of cities with high culture - if they were lightly defended, I'd certainly take them over.

And sometimes, you just end up fighting when you don't want to. I like a good war at certain times in the game (to produce great leaders, and to get extra cities and territory while weakening my opponents), so I am not sure how to avoid it all game.

Thanks! :) I spent some more time reading all the posts here and I think I asked a pretty stupid question :( But it seems that the AI civs always pick on you, even if you're not weak compared to them!

Is it just me or is Montezuma a real jerk, always demanding things and declaring war. He has tons of these little jaguar warriors running around that seem to run away more than any other unit. My swordsmen could easily take them out if they could only catch them :mad:

Thanks again!!!

Originally posted by Sanaz
Keeping other civs as allies (MPP, regular trade, establish embassy, etc...) helps - Polite or Gracious civs are less likely to attack and demand from you, but they still do sometimes.

doesn`t help for militaristic civs though :(

One more thing you can do is a very early and continuous landgrabbing war. Once you own an entire continent and everyone expects you to declare war any moment the others get kind of afraid :D

Essentially you can early on acquire a reputation that scares the hell out of the others.
Sometimes even works when your military is weak.

The only way to avoid war in this stupid stupid game is to utterly crush and exterminate everyone! Then you don't have to worry about war anymore.

Can you tell I'm very bitter with civ3. Like you I asked for advice on how to stay out of war. I tried everything that people told me to do. I totally revamped my playing style. It was all a waste of time. The AI will gang up on you and declare war on you anyway. Just kill them all...............:mad:

Some here believe you can avoid threats by claiming a larger share of territory & cities, & virtually no military. This way, your power rating still rises & you're still "powerful". Check the GOTM6 spoilers thread & stories by Aeson. Domination win with only a handful of military units.

I don't think any method will keep you 100% safe. The game will keep you honest...

Top Bottom