Getting Started

From SickFak: "The thing is, turn times aren't bad at all. It's fast, never had a problem with it on my PC. But when cycling units/entering city screens, giving orders etc., then a 3-6 sec lag before it actually happens."

Same has been happening to me, although sometimes the lag is greater. While this rarely happens in vanilla, in both during late game there is some... hesitation when the game itself moves about the map.

I'm running an AMD 1090T, 8GB DDR2, nVidia GTX 460TX 768MB. Civ is running via Steam installed in a Crossover (64-bit, version 11) XP bottle on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit with 8GB swap.

I suspended BOINC tasks for an hour; seemed to help a bit at first - no difference when I resumed (all six cores are set at 100% for crunching.) Interestingly, system monitor showed 35-50% load on all cores from Civ start, so it's doing _something_. [grin]

Beyond a WAG that it's 'something to do with graphics, duh' I dunno. (Btw, I followed your discussion of single-point failure in another thread on dev stuff; nice thinking.)

Otherwise, one finestkind mod. Thanks.

Sounds like this problem. We're trying to isolate the problem, as it is very annoying, but I think we got stalled a bit...

And I don't think it's graphics or computer power as the problem seems too spread out... Might be though, it's just a feeling ;)

Forgot something - looking more closely, bookkeeping takes a long time. For example, in city screen when buying a building, changing city focus, it takes quite a while to recalculate city production values.

@mitsho

Thanks for link, read thread. Don't have G&K, so if you have any suggestions of what I can do to test with vanilla version 166 I'll give it a go.

Forgot something - looking more closely, bookkeeping takes a long time. For example, in city screen when buying a building, changing city focus, it takes quite a while to recalculate city production values.

Yep same here. Only starts really becoming noticeable from the industrial age onwards.

Two observations:

1. When the additional-information popups er, popup, on map or in city screen, everything comes to a halt while they're active. I find them useful, _but only when I want them_. Suggest disabling them, making them available (on English keyboards) by pressing the / key. (I'm just guessing that it'd be quicker to read a key-down, key-up than to fiddle with timings.)

2. When selecting a different unit than the one done by game, takes a long time to switch. When moving a unit less than it's max, takes a long time to give it an order and have it received. If the unit reaches its max travel, takes a long time for the game to "release" it. When a unit is deleted or transferred, it takes its own sweet time to fade out and return control to player. This seems to worsen as the game proceeds. It's as if the bookkeeper can only v e r y slowly keep track of what's where.

@mitsho

Thanks for link, read thread. Don't have G&K, so if you have any suggestions of what I can do to test with vanilla version 166 I'll give it a go.

If it does happen in vanilla as well, it's probably something with the latest main game patch... I would suggest to play one game without the interface folder (underscore the folder in the mod folder simply, _interface). And then post in the thread wether the problem still exists. Then wait if Thal can tell us what we can do to isolate the problem further...

Two observations:

1. When the additional-information popups er, popup, on map or in city screen, everything comes to a halt while they're active. I find them useful, _but only when I want them_. Suggest disabling them, making them available (on English keyboards) by pressing the / key. (I'm just guessing that it'd be quicker to read a key-down, key-up than to fiddle with timings.)

Which additional information popups do you mean? I'm just asking for clarification, don't know where the problem could be...

2. When selecting a different unit than the one done by game, takes a long time to switch. When moving a unit less than it's max, takes a long time to give it an order and have it received. If the unit reaches its max travel, takes a long time for the game to "release" it. When a unit is deleted or transferred, it takes its own sweet time to fade out and return control to player. This seems to worsen as the game proceeds. It's as if the bookkeeper can only v e r y slowly keep track of what's where.

We are investigating the causes of this problem, but we're not really getting any farther. I suggest posting in this thread and bugging Thal further about it :)

Okay dumb question time...

I am currently playing G&K with CivUp. I have been waiting for GEM, but I saw today there is a beta via manual Down Load. If I do that should I disable CivUP because it is included? or is it needed for GEM? I know VEM included it, just making sure GEM does also.

GEM does not include civup at this time.

CivUp is a required dependent mod for it at the moment instead. You will need both to run it.

I see you can no longer quick save and load hoping for a different result without exiting and coming back in :lol:

I have not played Civ for some time but started back up about 4-5 months ago playing G&K. So far great mod and thank you and everyone that has helped for all your hard work. It is a different game.

ok so I want to use this and I downloaded all three and enabled them all at once. obviously a bad idea in hindsight.

If I have Gods and Kings and the latest patch with most of the DLC's, how would I use this? Do I just get the Gods and Kings version, or do i use more than one?

btw I like what each of them brings to the table so it's not about preference, I just want it to work optimally and you guys designed it so I figured you'd know.

Three? You only need two.

There's the Unofficial Patch that applies User Interface changes and clears out some bugs. It's the basis you need.

Then you apply either VEM or GEM depending on wether you have Gods and Kings installed or not. VEM is for the Vanilla game, GEM for the expansion. They don't work together at all :) GEM is a further developed version of VEM, but they're basically the same :)

So you just clear your cache now and delete the three mod folders, then reinstall only UP and GEM.

@rtlmd317 Unfortunately, loading from inside the game kills some mod functions and thus it's always better to load from the menu to avoid bugs. It's not a secret plot to not make you reload for different battle outcomes (I also did that in earlier games :)).

It's also the same reason why it's advised to not do fights or end turns in strategic view, as some events don't seem to fire in strategic view. Or has that been solved by G&K/some patch?

@rltmd317
Sadly, we must exist to the main menu to load games. Firaxis' core code has a bug which breaks most mods if we re-load a save or regenerate the map from within an active game.

@HardRocker
If you're playing G&K, install and enable Civ V Unofficial Patch (G&K), and G&K Enhanced Mod.

If you want to play vanilla, install and enable the Vanilla Enhanced Mod (it includes a version of the unofficial patch for vanilla).

@mitsho
Yes, it used to be impossible for mods to detect combat in strategic view. I think it might be possible now with a core mod, but I haven't gotten into core modding yet.

@Thalassicus

Can you keep on first post direct link to download mods like before? Isn't clear what is newest version and when it come out.

So are we supposed to be able to build terrace farms anywhere? It seems like it kind of detracts from the whole hilly thing.

@SadricAmber
I've heard people successfully played mods in hotseat multiplayer, but I do not know about LAN multiplayer. I started a thread on the subject: here

@Canabrava
Sure, I added a direct link to the installation page. :)

Visit the news page for updates: civmodding.wordpress.com. You can follow that blog to receive notification of updates (scroll down on bottom-right).

@Lmaoboat
It's a bug if you can build terrace farms anywhere (should be only hills and resources).

Using CIVUP 2.4.1, GEM 1.13.1, the G&K processing takes noticeably longer compared to without any CIVUP, GEM mods i.e. it takes longer after clicking on 'next turn'.

This has been mentioned before but it's been my experience so I've mentioned it again.

Top Bottom