Giant Death Robot in Civ !?

Do you find useful an option in Custom Game to choose if you want GDR in game or not?

• Yes, I want that !

Votes: 310 55.2%
  • No, not really...

Votes: 252 44.8%

• Total voters
A unit with 3x the strength of it's known possible better counter does not seem to be bundled with the rest of the game in terms of balance.

I dunno. I'd think its massively prohibitive costs, using up Uranium, etc. would help mitigate the impact its overwhelming strength in comparison to other units would have. Launching a coordinated attack on it with bombers, ships, etc. and then finishing up with more basic ground units could leave it a very expensive wreck on your opponent's part. If you're desperate enough, I'd suppose you could use the advantage in Uranium you'd have from them using it on their GDR (unless they're Russia, I guess) to nuke it to kingdom come.

I'm not entirely sure how it'd be dealt with, should it ever come to facing down a Giant Death Robot, since I don't have Civ 5 in my hands, but those are just some ways I'd think it could be dealt with by.

Also, I recall reading a post by a 2kperson somewhere in the thread where the GDR was announced. It was in response to somebody asking for an option to leave it out of the game, in which it was said that it was included in the game balance and that its removal might cause some issues or something.

I'll see if I can find it. :S

EDIT: Ah, here we are.

No modding is not to fix balancing issues created b y the developers. Get that stuff out of your head you little oblivion junkie. (Yes it all started with the epic failure known as Oblivion).

I think it should be possiible to turn off if it gives to big of an advantage, ofcourse.

Uh, what the hell is Oblivion?

So, you're assuming that the reason people want to turn it off is they feel it is unbalanced even though they've never played the game and the people who have told them don't think it is?

I figured (based on previous complaints and the original post) that the complaint was more about realism. In that case, no, I don't think there should be an in game option to remove it. I feel that, if you want to make substantive gameplay changes, the option is available by modding the game, but it isn't there by the start menu.

Wait 55 people voted NOT to have the OPTION to remove it from each game? How stupid do you have to be not to want the OPTION...wow. *Facepalm*

If I had a problem with Archers have a longer range than Rifles, should I have an option in the start menu to remove their ranged attacks?

I realize that people who hate civ5 might stick both complaints together, so I'll try a different example.

The Civ4 UU for Sumeria, the Vulture, isn't really based on much. In Civ3, the Enkidu Warrior was probably even worse. Since I don't find the name very realistic, should there be a start menu option to have the Sumerian UU have a different name?

The option to remove it isn't the one the OP was suggesting. That option is through modding the game. Do you really think Firaxis should have start menu options letting you pick and choose which of the hundred or so units you want in the game or not?

That option is through modding the game. Do you really think Firaxis should have start menu options letting you pick and choose which of the hundred or so units you want in the game or not?

This is precisely my point. UI option to remove individual units in the game never gonna happen. GDR is no exception. :lol:

Also, I recall reading a post by a 2kperson somewhere in the thread where the GDR was announced. It was in response to somebody asking for an option to leave it out of the game, in which it was said that it was included in the game balance and that its removal might cause some issues or something.

I'll see if I can find it. :S

EDIT: Ah, here we are.

Oh well ... my hopes that it was a hoax are shrinking. :(

If you don't see a difference between a regular unit and an extremely special unit like this which can possiblye change the whole scope of the game and has no equivilant units to it then there's no point of us discussing this further.

The idea of a GDR does not bother me, but I think it should not be so freakishly strong. Just stronger than the strongest unit is fine, but a few times as strong is pushing it and is silly imo.

If you don't see a difference between a regular unit and an extremely special unit like this which can possiblye change the whole scope of the game and has no equivilant units to it then there's no point of us discussing this further.

I guess you could say once you reach the atomic era, ICBMs change the whole scope of GAME PLAY and strategy once developed. But yes GDR is a fantasy unit for now and it would be better off being left a checkable option (for the sakes of keepin' it real n stuff :) ).

Wow, what a bunch of whining.

Its difficult to predict what tomorrow's war will look like. The GDR is just slightly jokey standin for whatever the battlefield technology of the future is. The civilization series is riddled with dumb jokes so its not even out of place, despite what many of you wish to believe about this being a "serious", or humorless, game franchise.

If you can't see that Firaxis didn't make a distinction between "regular" and "special units that the individual can pick and choose", there's no point discussing this further. It has been said repeatedly that it's balanced with everything else in the game. If that's your complaint, then don't worry.

I said "tried to preserve some 'hard science' roots". I didn't claim that they were successful on all levels or tried to rival Isaac Asimov or Greg Bear. You're correct about the script writers, but I had more the authors of the technical manuals in mind. What I'm saying is that Star Trek did have more roots in hard science than the whole Mecha thing. Although I understand that for a fan of real "hard SF", they may both look equally flimsy. ;)

Anyway, we're going off topic, and I'm not even a huge Trek fan (though I appreciate TNG very much).

Voyager ended up being my fav currently. The Star Trek team did try to get the shows to be as close to reality as possible though, as you said. I probably meant to put Star Wars in my post way back there. The point they made a concerted effort to do so is noteworthy of them. And because traveling FTL is impossible as we all know, Star Trek ships do not travel FTL, but warp 'warps the space in front and behind the ship' thus it rides the ripple, while the ship is perfectly still in sense IIRC.

Wow, what a bunch of whining.

You are yourself whining right here about the whining. :)

Its difficult to predict what tomorrow's war will look like. The GDR is just slightly jokey standin for whatever the battlefield technology of the future is. The civilization series is riddled with dumb jokes so its not even out of place, despite what many of you wish to believe about this being a "serious", or humorless, game franchise.

It's not that difficult to predict what tomorrow's war machines will resemble up to 2050; and massive manned 2-legged GDR's as direct combat vehicles with missiles have no place whatsoever I assure you. They = the complete opposite of mobile stealth warfare. Better off with an comanche attack helicopter or 4th gen tank in every single regards. There is absolutely no upsides that a GDR can bring against the others. It wouldn't even be menacing to other crews, they would seek them out for the sole purposing of getting a leg shot to bring it down, and then just blast away at the remains to cause a multi-billion dollar blow to the enemy.

So you are right, it's a sick Firaxis joke. :) I do like mechs though, in Battletech / Earthsiege etc.

If it is a sick joke, and they aren't actually in the game.. even though they are selling pewter pieces, I wouldn't be too happy about a non-April 1st 'Joke' like that. It wouldn't paint the company in a happy light.

Perhaps they should add laser infantry, shield city generators, and ion cannon resources also to the late game. :mischief:

I voted "Yes, I want that" because I thought the question was whether we wanted Giant Death Robots in the game, instead of whether we wanted an option to remove them. Should have read more carefully.

No, the game will not include an option to remove the GDR and I doubt it ever will. If this is a grievous enough problem for you that you can't enjoy Civ anymore, I suggest you have a good cry about it, because really who cares.

If it is a sick joke, and they aren't actually in the game..

Perhaps they should add laser infantry, shield city generators, and ion cannon resources also to the late game.

Its not a joke, we've seen game footage of it, so its not just a hoax... unless its a very elaborate hoax as they went to all of the trouble to have an artist & animation & sound team fully build the unit and have it implemented into the game code, also balancing the late game around the fact that its in the game... all this.. for a hoax xD.

P.s Yes laser infantry / sheild generators / ocean colonisation / and galatic colonisation and ion cannons and warp drives, all that jazz would have been lovely in the future era, instead they went with a whopping 2 SS parts and a GDR and "future tech" as their invision of the future, I'm quite disapointed, looks like I will be waiting for a fully pimped out future mod.

@aza, no pining for the inclusion of such an option is VERY stupid, they aren't going to do it, and if they do I will make a mod to remove the hideous decision to have that option in my game. Why should I be incumbered with a "remove GDR button" just because a few people are stuck in the mud. No sir!, If you people want it removed, you can do so yourselfs with a mod.

@Aramel, well said, well said.

For the record, I think the GDR is pretty cool but I see nothing wrong with having an option to remove the GDR. Namely because the future era is half baked at best as implemented. It looks rushed and only partially completed.The GDR really sticks out like a sore thumb here. If they fleshed out the future era better it would be fine.

I am sure it was their intention anyway and they'll be bringing out DLC for that. This is merely meant to test the waters I think.

It's not that difficult to predict what tomorrow's war machines will resemble up to 2050; and massive manned 2-legged GDR's as direct combat vehicles with missiles have no place whatsoever I assure you. They = the complete opposite of mobile stealth warfare. Better off with an comanche attack helicopter or 4th gen tank in every single regards.

To be fair, I'm not sure there's an awful lot of plausible stuff that could bring to the table what the GDR does. I'm not sure if something like a fourth gen tank or somesuch could be justified as being so very expensive in comparison to most everything else, while at the same time being some 2-3x stronger than the next thing up.

You could justify a concept as big and crazy as a Giant Death Robot (with accompanying kung-fu punch), though. So maybe this was one of those, "Hey, let's make a big boss unit for late game and see how we can fit it in." Gameplay against realism and all that. Though it has some issue with realism, I guess, it's supposed to fit a role in the game that not an awful lot of realistic stuff we can expect near-future could fill.

I think having a GDR in the vanilla game is unfortunant and cheapens the series with a childish gimmick.

No, the game will not include an option to remove the GDR and I doubt it ever will. If this is a grievous enough problem for you that you can't enjoy Civ anymore, I suggest you have a good cry about it, because really who cares.

Im not going to cry because of that, but you know what? Because you putted it that way, it really seems that you are going to burst into tears and not be able to enjoy civ anymore if they WOULD make future era units optional.

For the record, I think the GDR is pretty cool but I see nothing wrong with having an option to remove the GDR.

This. I dont understand what would people loose if it were to be optional. I mean its pretty stupid to try to deny that option from other players wich seems to be about half of the voters here. I also think most civ players who arent in civfanatics also doesnt care too much about fantasy units in civ game, this is just my guess but it might just be the case.

It all depends on the imagination capability of the mind. 100 years ago if told the "pioneers of science and medicine" some of the technology that's being unfolded today they would call you crazy and a sci-fi dreamer.

Top Bottom