God i can't stop cheating

I know of another reason, You haven't played a game in so long cuz you've been modding so much. And you've forgotten the pace of the game. You slack off on settlers once your little empire is chugging along nicely, and the damned AI surrounds all your borders with absolute crap cities, on every and any tile that it can.
So you reload back 500+ Years after that pacing lesson, and rectify that egregious error :)

Yeah, if you need to cheat check your game strategy, go down a level, or just admit that that's who you are and live with it.

It's only a game after all - although the Holy Sid will smite you mightily in your sleep one night, you do know that don't you............

I know of another reason, You haven't played a game in so long cuz you've been modding so much. And you've forgotten the pace of the game. You slack off on settlers once your little empire is chugging along nicely, and the damned AI surrounds all your borders with absolute crap cities, on every and any tile that it can.
So you reload back 500+ Years after that pacing lesson, and rectify that egregious error :)

Ok, number 4. :)

Another reason...

5. Regenerating. This is definitely a form of reloading but there are very mixed opinions about how far down the cheating path this is.

hmm at first i thought it an interesting perspective to view reloading as cheating but

Yeah, if you need to cheat check your game strategy, go down a level, or just admit that that's who you are and live with it.

statements like that annoy mea bit.
feels like a smug, arrogant attitude.
And i dont see any need for it.

anyway...

We need to stop for one second and think harder about what it is we think constitutes "reloading".

Straight away I can think of at least three different reasons why one might choose to reload, and I think it is fair to say there is a great distinction between each of them.

1. Careless error. eg. forgot to change civics during golden age, forgot to change the build queue of city X 5 turns ago or accidentally moved a unit to the wrong tile.

2. Outcomes of a random event. eg. losing a CR3 swordsman to a warrior in a 97% battle

3. Missing something one wanted, to another player. eg. missing out on the Hanging Gardens because the Incans beat you to it by 2 turns.

these options are exactly the poll i was thinking about making, as to why people would reload and how many ppl do it and how many dont. something went wrong while posting it last night, ill have another go at it in a bit.

In my own personal opinion I consider reloading simply to undo a mistake cheating... and I'm trying to wean myself off of it, I'll probably have to jump down a difficulty level. It isn't something I want to do, it's unsatisfying, and it isn't something I do actively. (i.e. reload back a turn if I have bad dice rolls) But sometimes if take a major loss in my warfare (either by bad luck or poor strategy) I get all upset and simply shut the game off on the spot. Hours later when I get back to the game I pick up before I made the big mistake.

So I pretty much end up saving right before starting a war.

i hate WB too.
i mostly use it to kill barbarians that annoy me so much.
but occasionally the temptation to add a river in my capital becomes too much...

Stop cheating or Mr Monty will blow your head off.

I don't reload. Neither do I use WB. Period. I also lose games. Sometimes if I am playing on epic or marathon and am going to lose certainly, I do start a new game without finishing the former one.

Reloading is generally cheating, even to undo a mistake, though that is sometimes justifiable due to playing too long and being tired. You could just go to bed instead, but what if you want to go on playing regardless of how stupid you're getting? :)

If you honestly can say "I didn't mean to do that," reloading to make up for an immediate mistake isn't that bad. But otherwise, it is bending the rules, and too much -- or using worldbuilder to change things -- is definitely cheating.

OTOH, what if you've lost the game, or think you're losing? If you cheat, you may not lose, but I wouldn't class the result as winning the game. Like playing "just one more turn," it no longer counts as a proper scoring win, but it can still be fun. And you may learn something about the game which you wouldn't lose if you kept playing and died, or just quit.

Next game, though, you must resist temptation. Otherwise, it is too easy to keep doing it, and you never play a proper game. It is much more satisfying to win without cheating at all.

the WC can be very tempting

esp. if you have desert or ice close by

Top Bottom