Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script

Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script 37.0

Large islands is EXACTLY what ive been trying unsuccesfully to generate for hours :)

Going to try this tonight, thanks for creating!

Does it have to be a ruleset? sad i know but trying to do all the achievments.

Also from reading the comments, i should disable yet another maps pack mod, and aztecs/aussies? tis not a problem just wanna check

Thanks again!
Not sure what you mean by ruleset, but with Got Lakes you can get achievements as long as they're not the map type achievements (such as "win a game on Island Plates").

Yes, you should disable the YaMP mod. The official DLC should be OK though.

Any chance of getting some larger map sizes? The largest size from the Larger Worlds mod is what I usually use, but something even larger than that would be cool. I typically like to play games with 16-21 civs and 20+ CS

Great mod though. Best world generation I've seen yet in Civ 6

A bit of a shot in the dark, and I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the generation script, but one issue I see with most map generation on all Civ games is that even with a good tectonic script or something similar maps come out with continents that are roughly similar in shape and character, and I wonder if it's possible to perhaps generate a layout of continental plates, then run sub-generation scripts within that framework so that different continents end up being generated off of slightly different seeds. It seems like that might make for worlds that aren't so homogenous?

Last edited:
Any chance of getting some larger map sizes? The largest size from the Larger Worlds mod is what I usually use, but something even larger than that would be cool. I typically like to play games with 16-21 civs and 20+ CS
I was wondering when someone would ask :)

Sure, I'll add larger map sizes to my list of things to consider for the next version of Got Lakes. Not sure when I'll release it yet, but I'm aiming for early next year.

Great mod though. Best world generation I've seen yet in Civ 6
Thanks! :D

A bit of a shot in the dark, and I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the generation script, but one issue I see with most map generation on all Civ games is that even with a good tectonic script or something similar maps come out with continents that are roughly similar in shape and character, and I wonder if it's possible to perhaps generate a layout of continental plates, then run sub-generation scripts within that framework so that different continents end up being generated off of slightly different seeds. It seems like that might make for worlds that aren't so homogenous?
Got Lakes has an option called Extras which is essentially what you described--additional layers for land/water generation. The extra layers will often overlap with the continents, resulting in peninsulas, bays, land bridges, etc. that make each continent / part of the world seem distinct.

So if you're looking for a heterogeneous map, I recommend setting the Extras option to Everything. That will give you four extra layers--chains, clusters, mini-donuts, and tectonic islands/lakes--each using their own Fractal objects and distinct algorithms to generate land/water.

Hey scrum lord, i know its cheeky but can you suggest settings to get the map im looking for?

I am trying to give myself and ai civs a starting landmass with 2-4 city space, and have extra islands to fight over for resources etc.

Ive been trying 'large islands' on a large map, and reducing the number of civs, but it seems when i reduce the number of civs the number of landmasses reduces too?

I seem to either be on a tiny slither of land, or on a giant landmass with multiple civs that is joined by landbridges.

I also noticed i will start 2 or 3 tiles from a city state quite often (no idea if thats normal)

Cheers

Hey scrum lord, i know its cheeky but can you suggest settings to get the map im looking for?

I am trying to give myself and ai civs a starting landmass with 2-4 city space, and have extra islands to fight over for resources etc.
Hello, trev1972. I'll try my best to recommend something that I think you'll like! Do you want each civ to be on a separate island? If so, then Large Islands might be slightly too small for 2-4 city space. Small Continents might be better, since the land bodies become larger with map size (instead of more numerous).

Ive been trying 'large islands' on a large map, and reducing the number of civs, but it seems when i reduce the number of civs the number of landmasses reduces too?
The Got Lakes version of Large Islands is based on the Large Islands map type from Civ V. However, one key difference is that the Got Lakes version uses map size, not player count, to determine the number of islands. Therefore, reducing the number of civs will have no effect on the total amount of land in your map.

I seem to either be on a tiny slither of land, or on a giant landmass with multiple civs that is joined by landbridges.
The tiny slither of land can happen every once in a while, despite the Got Lakes start positioner's preference for larger land bodies over smaller ones. Sometimes larger land bodies have mountain ranges dividing them so that the sliver of land is actually better. Other times might be plain-old bad luck with how the script divides the map between civs.

The land bridges, on the other hand, might be due to the Extras option randomly placing more islands. Extras=Everything can add a lot of land, especially with low sea level. Extras=Tectonic can also add a lot of land if you have Mountains=Winding Canyons, and low sea level + new world age would be the perfect storm for tectonic islands all over the place. So...try fiddling with the Mountains and Extras options in the Advanced Options menu! I recommend Extras=Chains and Mountains=Tectonic Plates for the closest resemblence to the Civ V version of Large Islands.

I also noticed i will start 2 or 3 tiles from a city state quite often (no idea if thats normal)

Cheers
Civ VI released an update for civ/cs starts on Nov 15, 2017. Not sure if you have that update, but that affects the placement of city states. I haven't done much testing yet on whether CS placement is now closer to civs. A number of things can affect this such as sea level, world age, mountain pattern, extra islands, major-civ placement, and even certain climates. Also, global maps can place large islands near the poles so that there is less room in the habitable zone; with enough polar islands, there may very well be city states just a few tiles away from your settler.

Fun fact: the changes to major-civ placement from the Nov-2017 patch actually have no effect on Got Lakes because Got Lakes uses a custom major-civ start positioner that's based on Civ V BNW.

I hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
It certainly does help! thanks for taking the time to reply to all that! ive played so many tsl games that i cant face another one- and have had enough of pangea games too.

Yes i am trying to give every civ its own island, but with a few 'spare' islands to fight over (i appreciate the ai may end up sucking at this map but i can whack the difficulty up to deity if need be!)

Now that you have confirmed that reducing the number of civs does not reduce the number of islands ill try a huge map with severely reduced civs and also try the small continents option as opposed to large islands

Thanks again :)

Scrum Lord updated Got Lakes Map Script with a new update entry:

Resource Mod Compatibility and Improved Mountains

Resource Mod Compatibility:
  • Added compatibility with resource mods! Tested against Truly Abundant Resources, Resourceful, and Sukritact's Resources. Note: Got Lakes still has overrides for ResourceGenerator:__ValidLuxuryPlots() and ResourceGenerator:__ScoreLuxuryPlots().
  • Added support for setting the Resources option to Plentiful or Truly Abundant! Requires the Truly Abundant Resources mod.
  • Added a new option called Scrambled Land Luxuries to toggle Got Lakes' original...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hey, Scrum Lord,

A couple of other things I've noticed:

-Waterborne wonders (galapagos, barrier reef) tend to spawn near the ice caps in my games, not sure why.
-Snow band seem unnecessarily large... any way to reduce those without altering temperature?
-In the options menu, it might be nice to default all of the drop-downs to "none" so players desiring a specific map type won't have to spend time disabling all of the others.

Also still waiting for larger map sizes. :) I've tried editing the main .lua and making the size larger with mixed results, but I'd love an official option.

-Waterborne wonders (galapagos, barrier reef) tend to spawn near the ice caps in my games, not sure why.
Good catch! Got Lakes has a custom order for generating things, and I believe this is just a matter of tweaking the order. I'll fix this in a future version.

-Snow band seem unnecessarily large... any way to reduce those without altering temperature?
Another shrewd observation. The snow bands were ported from Civ V, and apparently Civ VI has narrower snow bands than Civ V.

Currently the snow bands are determined by temperature and climate. I'd like to keep it that way for simplicity's sake, so I might simply reduce the snow bands to Civ VI levels in a future version.

-In the options menu, it might be nice to default all of the drop-downs to "none" so players desiring a specific map type won't have to spend time disabling all of the others.
I actually do this for debugging! :) But I wasn't sure if setting the drop-downs to "none" would confuse people. This would be a simple change to make, however.

Also still waiting for larger map sizes. :) I've tried editing the main .lua and making the size larger with mixed results, but I'd love an official option.
Don't worry, this is still on my to-do list. :) I started looking into custom map sizes, but I encountered some non-trivial issues, so I punted this to 2018 in order to publish resource-mod compatibility sooner.

You're right setting the drop-downs to "none" by default might confuse people.

Thank you for the response! Definitely not deal breakers and I still love the mod!

Does this support multiplayer? Friends and I can't seem to get 3 humans to join a game, but getting 2 to join is easy.

If you can get two humans to join a game, then I can't see why you wouldn't be able to get a third human to join as well. Got Lakes has no restrictions on the number of human players in a game, besides the usual map size restrictions.

Thanks, seems to work.

I started a single player game recently and had the dreaded 'start 4 tiles from the next civilization bug' that was introduced in the last patch. Does your mod change the starting location placement rules (like YnAMP does) or does it use the default Civ6 placements?

Would Got Lakes? be compatible with Caps Lock?

I started a single player game recently and had the dreaded 'start 4 tiles from the next civilization bug' that was introduced in the last patch. Does your mod change the starting location placement rules (like YnAMP does) or does it use the default Civ6 placements?

Would Got Lakes? be compatible with Caps Lock?
Caps Lock is not compatible with Got Lakes, because Got Lakes uses a custom start plot system (ported from Civ 5!) in order to handle major-civ starts for various kinds of maps. So the base game's "start 4 tiles from next civ" bug did not affect Got Lakes.

I suspect that your map just happened to be a "perfect storm" for crowded starts. Settings like High Sea level and certain landmass/climate combos can increase the chance of this happening. Did this happen just once or was it like five times in a row?

EDIT: Ugh, just realized I'm a bit thick and couldn't understand that setting all climate settings to "none" probably wasn't a good idea. Nevermind! Edited my post accordingly :D

Hey! Great mod, plain ol' pangaea with chains seems to give a well-rounded map that the AI can work with pretty well - but there's just one tiny problem.

For some reason, rainforests seem pretty common in desert tiles. Is this intentional or..? I'm playing the latest version with all the DLC and R&F. All vanilla map settings are standard, all Got Lakes scripts are set to none with the exception of Chain Extras, Pangaea and Tectonic ranges. Just subscribed to the mod today, so I doubt there should be clashing with any older files or cross-over issues. Only other mod I've subscribed to is AI+.

And I'm playing the DX12 version, if that makes any difference :)

Attachments

• rainforests.png
    rainforests.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Top Bottom