Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script

Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script 37.0

Scrum Lord

Warlord
Scrum Lord submitted a new resource:

Got Lakes Map Script - Quench your thirst for exploration with this incredibly random map script!

Got Lakes? Quench your thirst for exploration with this incredibly random map script! Choose from 18 landmasses, 13 climates, 6 mountain patterns, 7 extras, and 2 world wraps (global vs regional), or go completely random and surprise yourself with over 19,000 possible combinations!

---Map Options---

This map script supports the standard options (resources, start position, world age, sea level, temperature, rainfall) as well as the options listed below.

Landmasses -...

Read more about this resource...

Landmass minimaps (updated for v36.0)

Spoiler Continents :
lands conts v36.jpg

Spoiler Islands :
lands islands v36.jpg

Spoiler Lakes :
lands lakes v36.jpg

Spoiler Pangea :
lands pangea v36.jpg

Last edited:
Climate minimaps: (updated for v27.0)
Spoiler Snowball :
climate 1 snowball v27.jpg

Spoiler Ice Age :
climate 2 ice age v27.jpg

Spoiler Standard :
climate 3 std v27.jpg

Spoiler Greenhouse :
climate 4 greenhouse v27.jpg

Spoiler Sandstorm :
climate 5 sandstorm v27.jpg

Last edited:
Minimaps for the Mountains and Extras options:
Spoiler Mountains (updated for v24.0) :

mts v24.jpg

Spoiler Extras (updated for v24.0) :

extras v24.jpg

Last edited:
Map Sizes: may vary based on your selection of icy poles and world-wrap!
Updated for version 27.0

Base Map Sizes:
  • Duel: 44 x 26
  • Tiny: 60 x 38
  • Small: 74 x 46
  • Standard: 84 x 54
  • Large: 90 x 60
  • Huge: 106 x 66

Last edited:
Mod Compatibility (edited as of version 35.0):

Got Lakes is purely a map script, so any in-game mods such as custom civs, custom game mechanics, or UI changes are OK. Even modifications to an already-generated map are OK.

However, Got Lakes heavily customizes various parts of the map generator. Mods that change the following will likely NOT be compatible with Got Lakes:
  • map options: world age, sea level, temperature, rainfall, start position
  • mountains/hills
  • coasts
  • terrain (snow, tundra, desert, etc.) -- note that custom plot yields are a different type of mod that should be OK
  • latitude
  • rivers
  • lakes
  • cliffs
  • features (forests, jungle, ice, etc.)
    • Added compatibility for Sukritact's Oceans
  • starting locations (not just start biases, but actually choosing the locations)

But there is hope for compatibility in a few places:
  • map sizing (as of v22; improved support for extremely large maps in v23)
    • Tested against the following mods: Y(n)AMP, Larger Map Sizes
  • lowland flooding for GS
    • Mods that try to override lowland placement will have no effect on coastal lowlands. However, in-game balance changes to flood barrier costs and CO2 will still be OK.
  • natural wonders
    • Compatible with all wonders that simply extend the Civ VI database: this includes most wonders.
    • Wonders that have Lua overrides require explicit suppot from Got Lakes; otherwise, they will never appear on the map.
    • Got Lakes explicitly supports all wonders from the base game and from Terra Mirabilis.
    • Overrides NaturalWonderGenerator:__FindValidLocs()
    • Overrides NaturalWonderGenerator:__PlaceWonders()
    • Overrides CustomGetMultiTileFeaturePlotList()
    • Overrides ResetTerrain()
  • resources
    • Compatible with Harmony in Diversity, Resourceful, and Sukritact's Resources, and Truly Abundant Resources
    • Does not override the Resources map option
    • Overrides __ValidLuxuryPlots()
    • Overrides __PlaceLuxuryResources()
    • Overrides __ScoreLuxuryPlots()
    • Overrides __ValidStrategicPlots()
    • Overrides __PlaceStrategicResources()
    • Overrides __ScoreStrategicPlots()
    • Overrides __GetOtherResources()
    • Overrides __PlaceOtherResources()
    • Overrides __GetWaterOtherResources()
    • Overrides __PlaceWaterOtherResources()
  • starting locations (AssignStartingPlots.lua)
    • Partially Compatible with Teams Together Strong (supports TTS' colocation of teams)
    • Compatible with YnAMP's custom start locations
      • Beware that YnAMP can override Got Lakes' custom start positioner; set Start Position Link to "Random" to avoid overriding Got Lakes.
    • Uses a custom start positioner for major and minor civs
    • Overrides __InitStartingData
    • Overrides __GetValidAdjacent
  • goodies
    • No overrides!

Last edited:
Base Game Compatibility:

Version 17 requires no DLC and matches the Fall 2017 Update.

Version 20+ requires no DLC and supports both Vanilla and the Rise and Fall expansion.

Mac users: if the latest version of Got Lakes isn't working for you, try using an earlier version. Sometimes the makers of Civ VI stagger the Windows and Mac releases of a patch.

Last edited:
When creating a new world with this map script no area gets revealed, I am given control of no units and the turns automatically progress. How can I fix this?

When creating a new world with this map script no area gets revealed, I am given control of no units and the turns automatically progress. How can I fix this?
Sounds like the map generator failed to give your civ a starting spot. A few questions to help you diagnose your issue:
  1. Does this happen every time you try to start/restart a game, or did this only happen once?
  2. Do you have any DLC or other mods installed, and if so, have you tried disabling them?
My initial guess is that you have another mod installed that is incompatible with Got Lakes.

Can I determine the number of continents with this?
Not really--there is no option to say, "I want exactly 3 continents", for instance.

Here are a few things that you can control with Got Lakes:
  • whether you get many islands, a few continents, a land-heavy lakes map, or a pangea (using all/none values for the Continents, Islands, Lakes, and Pangea options)
  • whether you get additional islands/lakes (using the Extras option, which has a None value if you don't want extras)

Thanks for this, until now I was playing with a hacked together version of perfect world from civ V, but this works so much better!

My favorite way to use it is continents, tectonic & chains, tilted axis (full). Combined with the chaos & anarchy mod it makes the entire northern half of the map a hellhole of barbarians, and the entire lower 1/3 clusters of island chains. My only problem is that the island chains are almost entirely mountains, so I can't settle them. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for this, until now I was playing with a hacked together version of perfect world from civ V, but this works so much better!

My favorite way to use it is continents, tectonic & chains, tilted axis (full). Combined with the chaos & anarchy mod it makes the entire northern half of the map a hellhole of barbarians, and the entire lower 1/3 clusters of island chains. My only problem is that the island chains are almost entirely mountains, so I can't settle them. Is there a way to fix this?
That sounds like a lot of fun! To make the islands bigger, you could try lowering the sea level--that will make the islands (and continents) generally bigger by reducing the amount of water in the map.

I have a request. I enjoy playing with Truly Abundant Resources mod, cluttering the map with tons of Stuff. This is obviously incompatible with your map script. Would you please look into including more options for the Resource Quantity drop down, and perhaps better descriptions for what is already there?

I have a request. I enjoy playing with Truly Abundant Resources mod, cluttering the map with tons of Stuff. This is obviously incompatible with your map script. Would you please look into including more options for the Resource Quantity drop down, and perhaps better descriptions for what is already there?
Hmm, I'll consider adding this to a future version of Got Lakes (sometime early next year, probably). With any luck, I might even be able to make Got Lakes detect and support the Truly Abundant Resources mod.

Hmm, I'll consider adding this to a future version of Got Lakes (sometime early next year, probably). With any luck, I might even be able to make Got Lakes detect and support the Truly Abundant Resources mod.
Thanks for looking into this!

Large islands is EXACTLY what ive been trying unsuccesfully to generate for hours :)

Going to try this tonight, thanks for creating!

Does it have to be a ruleset? sad i know but trying to do all the achievments.

Also from reading the comments, i should disable yet another maps pack mod, and aztecs/aussies? tis not a problem just wanna check

Thanks again!

Top Bottom