GOTM-05 Pre-Game Discussion

JerichoHill said:
I played a practice game. I wiped out two civs with a warrior rush before 2000 BC, and just went crazy with REX. Hooked up Iron and Bronze, when all the other civ's had archers. Used my workers to get roads built outwards, and just built an army. I quit at 1AD when it was obvious I was going to win by conquest. Two more civ's were about to fall to my armies, leaving just two more in the game (with about 20 units of fighters for me)

Hi folks,

I'm still fairly new to CivIV and this will be my 2nd GOTM. I always read this thread to get an idea of what strategy to use and I thank all of you for the great input.

I've been playing on the practice maps so I can hone my strategy before tackling the real GOTM. Using JerichoHill's post above as an example, it seems that the experienced players can wipe out at least 1 civ by around 1 AD. In 3 practice games to around 1 AD, I am only about 1/2 way to wiping out just 1 civ. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Can anyone point to threads or offer starting advice for an quick conquest win? I mean what typical techs do you research first? Do you only build combat units?

I basically have been cranking out another scout, worker and settler and warriors inbetween. I never seem to get a good size army until I got axeman so my first campaign is an axeman rush. Should I just crank out warriors as quick as I can? The other civs are usually far away so capturing their cities may cause a lot of maintenance, etc, etc.

Any pointers are appreciated. I'd love to work out my strategy before playing GOTM-4.

thanks,
Gorgon

cds0528 said:
Wouldn't it be the same criteria as previous spoilers which we have?
Each map provides different exploration rates, contacts, resource discovery ... Since I don't play Civ4 I have no way of determining whether specific limits or thresholds need to be applied for a first spoiler. Fortunately ainwood has opened the spoiler thread himself, so I don't have to guess.

=FC=Gorgon said:
Hi folks,

Can anyone point to threads or offer starting advice for an quick conquest win? I mean what typical techs do you research first? Do you only build combat units?

I would suggest looking at spoilers from previous GOTMs. Look at the results page, see who got quick conquest wins, then find their spoilers. As I recall, Bradleyfeanor had a blazing fast conquest win in GOTM2 and wrote a good spoiler. I'm sure there have been many others.

=FC=Gorgon said:
Hi folks,

First, there is some great reading in the other Civ4 GOTM threads. However, this is the first GOTM at this level.

It very much depends upon the level and the map. Being on a landlocked warlord map, I would do the following:

Although Ainwood may have edited the map, I suspect we are near the Rockies with most/all of our enemies to the East.

2-3 scouts for GHs and to fix enemy locations; first two go on diag (NE/SE) to try to find N/S bounderies to help determine rest of search pattern

Research: Archery, AH; BW and HR (order depends upon if horses in range after getting AH); after BW switch to slavery to speed military production; keep in mind on Epic you want to rush when you are between 31-45 hammers required as it round up to the next multiple of 30 hammers (so if you rush needing 29 hammers, you get 30; if you rush needing 31 hammers you get 60 and may get two back-to-back builds)

I wouldn't build a single settler; maybe one wherever copper/horses is found, but hopefully I would start with one of them or capture one of them; but I would build at least 1 worker if I didn't pop one from a GH with my first scouts.

I would try to take out my closest 1-2 neighbors with archers before they get archery, especially targeting anyone who doesn't start with hunting. More if possible. Also, don't worry if someone gets a single archer while you have 3 on 1 and your first attacker only has a 20% chance, he'll take them down enough for your 2d or 3d attacker to win. After that I'd go for HA/Axe type folks to try to finish off the rest before AD even appeared on the clock.

COmbination of Warlord and Epic speed is no thx. Moving units around milking the highest score is just about the most boring thing in Civ.

Even though the previous GOTM had less than optimal start location, which made it harder to win than the level of difficulty alone warranted, it was still fun because it was a challege. This here is just a waste of time. Wasting hour upon hours on a game where there is not even a slightest bit of challenge--not interested.

Moderator Action: You have previously posted this sentiment here, and I moved it to here on the assumption that it indicated that you have started this game, and are therefore not eligible to post here. Please take this discussion to the appropriate place.

Hi,

Moving house and a huge hard disk crash has forced me to miss the last two GOTMs but I for one am glad to see the reduction in difficulty level as I think I've forgotten everything I've learned about Civ4 whilst I haven't been playing!

Looking forward to reading some superb write-ups for this one. I think there will be some super fast conquests.

Cheers.

Boppy.

from the pic, flood plains or desert two squares left, an annoying mountain SE, no bonus's in sight, atm capital is not looking to exciting

Thanks for the info The-Hawk and A'AbarachAmadan. I'll do some reading on the old GOTM spoilers and startup this one probably in the next day or so.

G

A'AbarachAmadan said:
I wouldn't build a single settler; maybe one wherever copper/horses is found, but hopefully I would start with one of them or capture one of them;
How do you capture a settler? They always seem to change in to workers when I jump the AI's settlers. Or perhaps you meant start with or capture the resources?

Civgeek said:
How do you capture a settler? They always seem to change in to workers when I jump the AI's settlers. Or perhaps you meant start with or capture the resources?

At the risk of speaking for one of the "A" players on the board (A'AbarachAmadan)... I believe he means he will capture all of his future cities... i.e. don't build settlers, let the AI (and barbs) create them and get the city started for you.

Settlers do turn into workers.

JerichoHill said:
I think, unless Ainwood has really modded this...once I get axemen up, im just going pure military...pedal to the medal.

Maybe I'll try milking!

"Milking" . . . that's a term I'm not familiar with. Could someone enlighten me as to what this strategy is?

And while we are at it . . . is there a CivFanatics glossary somewhere to look stuff like this up so that we don't have to expose our ignorance?

Thanks!

MDPhillips said:
"Milking" . . . that's a term I'm not familiar with. Could someone enlighten me as to what this strategy is?

And while we are at it . . . is there a CivFanatics glossary somewhere to look stuff like this up so that we don't have to expose our ignorance?

RE: Milking. There are two basic types of awards in GOTM... highest score and fastest wins. "Milking" means to go for highest score. Very often, top players will have the game in the bag, but will hold off winning so they can build their score... i.e. they pass up a chance to get the fastest win to try for the highest score. To really milk the score requires lots of work, so other top players don't like to milk... they like to go for fastest wins. Personally, I'm pretty impressed with both!

RE: glossary. I'm not aware of one, seems like a great idea.

Top Bottom