GOTM 118 Spoiler

I'm not using the UN because I put off researching Railroad and can't build it, or spies, yet. I probably should have conquered with crusaders a few years earlier, as I had monotheism in 940 but waited until 600 to build marines.
Thanks for the explanation on SoL. It was an experiment and it does work half as well as I had hoped, considering I still need 4 techs and a wonder to use the emissary's ploy.
I'll finish close to you; at 480 the Chinese are dead and Indians are down to 3, 2 of which I'll take next turn.
Clearly there is value in both populating the maze (trade) and getting to the green quickly (expansion). I definitely neglected expansion.

I did not start PDS with my cities yet at 420 BC (though I switched to Demo and started Big Trade) I actually have my tax rate to a flat 100% right now :lol: I'm not going to finish anytime soon, as managing the ship chain takes up a lot of time. I'm not going for green star.

My reasoning was that with Railroad, you get a trade penalty and lose the effects of HG. Corporation would give that 33% back and the Cure would replace HG, so I was thinking ''hey, why not beeline to Genetic Engineering?''

Either way, it will be close. VERY close. I'm simply hoping I'll have enough cash to rb everything I'll need.

I didn't bother with HG, did PDS up to size 8 before the first big trade rush, so the only reason to put off railroad was to keep trade bonuses high. If I thought I could afford Darwin (ind+comm) and a one-turn trade rush for corp, I'd be able to pull that off.
In any case, I'm planning to end India and take Kyoto in 460. Good luck!

I'm done with my game, will submit today. I will include a spoiler below regarding how well I did.

Spoiler :
I beat my all-time GOTM record with this one.
Spoiler :
and yeah, I know that this was my first completed GOTM so that was pretty pointless :D

EDIT: Submitted.

Date Notes

1480 BC: Spanish start Colossus. Greeks develop Currency. Meet Angry Russians: They ask for war on Japanese, rejected, they ask for Invention, rejected. They profess threats, are down to Enraged. The Russians are militaristic and it shows. My Warrior is next to a Russian horsemen. Since both units are on ice, this could mean trouble. Vimy built. Hail Japanese: They ask for war on Russians, rejected. They ask for Invention, rejected. Down to Icy. Demand tribute, they declare WAR! 2 crusader units kill 2 Jap Phalanx units in Kyoto, both become vets. Kyoto stormed, 136g plundered. Taking Kyoto reduced the Jap military to 7 units (was 13 before attack) The city of Rouen II is founded. The RF is starting to take a sizeable toll: Paris has Emperor-level unhappiness. Pop hut: 50g. Pop hut: Nomads.

1460 BC: Russians do not attack. Hail Japanese: They offer cease-fire, rejected. They offer 200g for a cease-fire, rejected. They vow to continue their war. Crusader kills fortified warrior in a fortress near Kyoto. Crusader kills Archer unit in Osaka: Osaka sacked and razed for 44g. Japanese down to 4 units. Pop huts: 3x50g. The city of Grenoble II is founded. Pop hut: Nomads.

1440 BC: Hail Japs: They offer a cease-fire, refused. They offer 350g for a cease-fire (they had 353 total, accepted as I will not be able to attack for a few more turns anyway (crusaders are low in health) They offer peace treaty, rejected. I ask for more tribute, they ignore my threats. All of a sudden I have 759g! The city of Dijon II is built.

1420 BC: Indian government overthrown. Hail Japanese: They offer peace, rejected. I demand tribute, rejected. Attitude stays the same. Amiens II founded. Cherbourg II founded. Pop hut: 25g.

1400 BC: Poitiers II is founded. Pop hut: 100g. Build Toulouse II. Hail Japanese: They offer peace, rejected. I demand tribute, they ignore threats, attitude down to Icy.

1380 BC: Greeks almost completed with Colossus. FINALLY!! But that means extra long shipchain... Build Bayonne II. Hail Japs: They offer peace, rebuffed. I ask for tribute, no tribute given. They had 12g... (I have already seen 12g being offered during a cease-fire) Can’t wait anymore. Sneak attack the Japs: Crusader kills a Phalanx in a Fort. Crusader kills an Archer in Satsuma: Satsuma sacked and razed for 1g. Reputation is now Honorable: Jap only have 4 units left. Pop huts: 2x50g.

1360 BC: Chinese and Spanish declare war, Spanish take Tsingato, take Seafaring. China is now a republic. ATHENS BUILDS COLOSSUS. It was slow but now things are starting to get moving. Spain switches to Lighthouse: so do the Indians. Paris builds Leo’s, starts Shakes. 50 shields in Paris: 250 shields left. Hail Greeks: They ask for Invention, rejected. They profess threats. I give Construction, Math, Republic, Polytheism. Update Greek maps. Crusader kills Jap archer in Edo: Edo stormed for 3 gold. The Japs only have 1 unit left. Build Stratsbourg II. Pop hut: 50g. Pop hut: 100g. Build Brest II. T3L0S7 for discovery next turn.

1340 BC: Russians acquire Feudalism. CRAP. Discover Astronomy: Navigation NOT AVAILABLE. (2) Start Economy. Can’t find last Jap city... should have swapped maps before stabbing them in the back. Paris switches from Shakes to Cope. T7L0S3. Hail Indians: They ask for Invention, refused. Give Astronomy (gutsy) Literacy. Update maps.

1320 BC: Bordeaux II founded. Find the last Jap city of Kagoshima SE of Kyoto. Build Naples II. Pop hut: Nomads. Can you guess where? ;)

1300 BC: Unknown unit attacks my Crusader outside of Kagoshima. Probably a warrior, because my Crusader survives. Kagoshima is defenceless. Celebration in Paris ends? Riot factor... Fire Elvis. Build Issos II. Kagoshima sacked and razed: 5 gold plundered. JAPANESE DESTROYED BY FRENCH. Pop hut: 50g. T3L0S7: Techrate 6 turns!

1280 BC: Build Verdun. Pop hut: 50g.

1260 BC: 50 shields in Paris: 175s left for Cope. Build The Somme.

1240 BC: Greece has a revolution. Good. Rainville founded 50 shields in Paris: Cope has 120 shields left. Pop huts: 3x50 gold.

1220 BC: OHCRAP. Loaded Spanish trireme near undefended Stratsbourg. It unloads a settler and a warrior... not in Stratsbourg? Very barb-like. Greece becomes a republic. I move in Stratsbourg a Settler. Hail Spanish: They want to Trade Iron Working for Invention. I offer Republic instead, they say no. I ask for withdrawal of troops: they declare WAR! (they will have to wait to die... Russians are first in hit list) Bénouville founded. Russians are researching Chivalry... crap! I wish you had the option to NOT take techs from enemies when you conquer their cities... Build Verrières.

1200 BC: Discover Economy (0) and start Navigation. Food van in Paris: 60 shields left for Cope’s. Hail Russians: They offer Iron Working for Invention. I offer Philosophy instead. They say no, but profess friendship. Give them Philosophy, Republic. Update maps. Pop hut: Nomads. Build Ardennes. Build Crete II.

1180 BC: Spanish warrior attacks Stratsbourg: Fortified Settler easily fends off the attack. Van in Paris: Cope’s will be built next turn. Crusader kills Spanish settler outside of Stratsbourg. Pop hut: Crusaders... in the ice continent! It’s a supported crusader, will disband when I change to Demo. Louvres is founded. Trireme in Paris (that’s where the shipchain will start) Elvis starts the celebration again as Trireme provides martial law.

1160 BC: Indians almost completed Lighthouse. Russian government overthrown. Considering how many units they have it will probably hurt them militarily, while I am about to invade them. Paris builds Cope’s and celebrates: Paris produces 30b per turn (little less than 25% of total science output) Build Salamis II. Build Lisboa II.

1140 BC: Delhi builds Lighthouse. Indians switch from LH to GL. Spain abandons effort. Russia becomes a republic. Pop exceeds 3mil citizens. Pop hut: Barbs. Will lose that settler. At least I still have /9/ other exploring units on the great ice cap. Rush a library in Paris. Build Hamburg II. Russian military shrunk from 20 units to 17. Good. Hail Russians: They demand Invention, refused. They profess threats. I ask for tribute, they declare WAR! My armies will be on the Russian homeland next turn anyway. 2 crusaders kill a Russian archer and a Russian horsemen in the former Jap homeland. Elvis in Dijon because it would otherwise riot. Same for Cunaxa.

1120 BC: Settler dies to the 1st barb horsemen? I don’t remember playing Deity with this map... (but WOULD BE INTERESTING!!!) Paris builds Library (44b per turn) starts Adam Smith’s. Techrate 5 turns. Pop hut: Barbs again? At least I have a lot of settlers to spare. 5 food vans in Paris: 150 shields left. Russian military is now 15 units due to Republic unit support costs: Kill a Russian pikemen (barely) crusader vet. Sack and raze Smolensk: 11g plundered. Take Iron Working (1) Build Prague II.

1100 BC: CIVIL DISORDER IN VERONA. Rush a temple. My settler died to Barbs: killed at least 2 of them (don’t know of exact results because civ2.exe was not responding: running the Classic game and the MGE mapeditor alongside seems to create 100% CPU usage) Pop hut: Nomads. Pop hut: 50g. Build Salzburg II. Kill Russian chariot. Unload my army in Russia.

1080 BC: Leonardo’s upgrades Triremes to Caravels as Navigation is discovered. Physics started (2) Kill a Russian Catapult. 11 units left. 6 crusaders seize a fortress at striking distance from Moscow and St. Petersburg. Build Bergen II.

1060 BC: Spanish boat near, does not attack? But unloads a Catapult nowhere near any cities. Switch projects in Paris from Adam Smith’s to Mag’s. Kill the Spanish boat with a Caravel. Attack Moscow: Kill 2 Archers. Storm Moscow: 38 gold plundered. Take Feudalism (0) Leonardo’s upgrades all Warriors to Pikemen. Russians have 8 units left. Kill a Legion in St Petersburg: Russians start Sun Tzu, crusader vet. Storm St. Petersburg: 44g plundered. Russian military down to 5 units. Pop hut: NONE legion.

1040 BC: Another Spanish boat near: it unloads 2 settlers and a catapult (but this time within 3 turns of one of my cities) Russians abandon Sun Tzu. WLTPD cancelled in Paris: RF. Back to 30 beakers per turn. Move my injured crusaders in St. Petersburg (city has captured barracks) Caravel easily kills Spanish trireme: vet. Build Pisae II. Food van in Paris: 80 shields left for Mag’s. NONE legion encounters barb horsemen from a barb hut popping and kills him. Pop hut: 50g.

1020 BC: Greeks develop Engineering and start KRC. Civil disorder in Stratsbourg and Cherbourg. Rush a crusader in Lisboa II. Build Dublin II. Build Toronto II. Meet Russian settler in the great ice continent: They offer a cease-fire, I say no. They offer 150g for a cease-fire (they have 187) I say no. They vow to continue their war.

1000 BC: Russia develops Chivalry. C.R.A.P! At least I can gun thru the military techs and possibly end this earlier than I planned. Russian government is also the victim of a revolution. Pop exceeds 4mil citizens. Kill a Russian chariot outside of Kiev. Food van in Paris: 20 shields left for Mag’s.

Status in 1000 BC

Population: 4.07 mil Cities: 91 Trade routes: 0D0F Government: Monarchy
Gold: 158 Cost per turn: 16 Total advances: 34 Production: 215MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: Pyramids, Marco, Mikes, HG, Leo’s, Cope. Currently building Mag’s
Units: 18 Settlers (nearly half of them nomads from the great ice cap) 1 legion, 3 pikemen, 19 crusaders, 38 caravels, 11 caravans.
Russians: 3 cities, 19 techs (including Chivalry, which I don’t have) 5 units. War
Japanese: Destroyed by me
Spanish: 6 cities, 14 techs (including Bridge Building, which I don’t have) 19 units. War
Chinese: 4 cities, 26 techs (including Bridge Building, which I don’t have) 10 units, peace. Currently building GL twice
Greeks: 8 cities, 16 techs. 20 units. Peace. They have Colossus. Currently building KRC
Indians: 5 cities, 26 techs. 11 units. Peace. They have Lighthouse. Currently building GL

This period saw some more expansion in the mountains, though the pace would slow quite a bit because of lack of space and specials for cities. It also saw the start of war, with the Japs down and Russia almost down.

I think I delayed Democracy (and the SoL/Fundy) too much.

Both of your games sound quite good. I'm at approx 600BC, still wondering whether to just end it, or to keep trying for a big shiny civ. I think I've more-or-less recovered from the too-early Invention, and techs are flowing again, but my civ still lags behind "par". JSB arrives next turn, and if that doesn't turn things around, I'll take out my frustrations on the remaining AI!

It would be embarrassing to finish with a subpar empire, and have to pretty it up in the theoretical post-game. Imagine how shiny it'll be in 1AD!

I've finished now, withholding the remainder of the log until it's too late to do anything about it.

Joker, when did your shipchain come online? I'd say the ideal time to switch to Demo is no less than 5 turns before you want to deliver - getting from size 3 to 8 on a map like this isn't vital until then. SoL/Fundy is fun but I think next time I'll just switch on an Oedo year and stay in Fundy for 4 turns.

My shipchain was online at 820 BC, but I only started delivering at 440 BC (Democracy established a turn earlier... screwed up the ship chain movement at 460 BC) I think, looking back at it, that it was a huge mistake, as Big Trade took too much time to get up and running when I switched to Demo. However, I rushed many of my vans during the Fundy period (The ship chain was established when I was still in Monarchy... but again I think I delayed the SoL too much) so you can't really deliver vans to the Greeks when you don't have vans. But again, that could have been prevented. I can look back at my game and say it was a great, but imperfect, game. (From a shameless perfectionist's point of view of course)

I stayed in Fundy as long as needed for me to do 2 things.
1. Get enough tithes to rush enough vans to feed my research/income during Demo/PDS period. (I think I overkilled it during that period, had 25 vans and 24k gold at endgame... after rushing a huge load of last-minute wonders, cities, courthouses, supermarkets and colosseums the turn prior) Oh, and also rush some harbours for future PDS.
2. Achieve my conquest goals. I planned to stay in Demo while I was conducting the final war against the Greeks and Indians. And I did stay in Democarcy and won the war. Without the UN. Without any Senate action.

And BTW, it went as planned for my PDS plans. A canal city, with only 3 arrows of base trade, delivering to size 7/8 Athènes (Demo+Colossus) would net an average bonus of 400-450g. No need for PDS for that, because I wanted to deliver my weakest vans first (so as to not move around the demand of Athènes) Later on, I think my largest bonus (size 13 city) was around 1300g. (non-capped)

My PDS started at XXX BC and ended when the game ended, at XXX AD.

My shipchain was ready and delivering in 1040 BC, Democracy in 900 BC, serious aggression started for the first time in 560 BC (I had bought 3 Spanish cities but no troops were involved on either side). I stayed with Demo until I had the science and money I needed for a rapid world takeover. Looking back, I should have started producing troops much sooner and made footholds on each continent. Transport and troop deployment took much longer than expected.
I ignored the colossus completely, traded no more than 4 vans per turn with nothing better than a size 4 despotism city, and lost a total of one marine in the conquest of the world. Your trade program certainly worked better than mine. I ended up with a healthy cash reserve but not enough to purchase two wonders. My second round of PDS lasted much longer than the first, but the between-time when the trading cities were size 8 and the new cities were not size 3, I had more use for high taxes. I wonder if you had gone for Demo first rather than Fundy, and put off immediate conquest, how different this contest might have been.

I wonder if you had gone for Demo first rather than Fundy, and put off immediate conquest, how different this contest might have been.

It would have probably meant slow warfare with the Spanish. I could maybe have built the Great Wall: I THINK (not positive) that the Emissary's Ploy can be used for that too. In comparison, I bought the last Indian city and I bled white the Greek military using railroads before taking all of their cities in a fell swoop. (I had conquered 3 other Greek cities before switching to Demo)

Oh, and also some serious unhappiness issues. JSB only came online during the Fundy period (zoom to city trick)

Perhaps I was helped by my isolationism. I never gave tech to anyone, and I saw a total of 2 foreign ships during the entire game, one japanese trireme far too late to matter, one greek trireme exploring the ice shelf. Had that been different, I would have been forced to defend rather than shove caravans down the japanese throats. Spanish, Greek, and Indian contact was initiated from a position of strength; the senate doesn't complain if you buy a city from a civilization you've never met, which requires shipborne diplomacy.

Slow war is not the only option. In my clumsy example, my empire grew in peace precisely because democracy and trade made scientific progress trivial and money a non-issue. When the time was right, it took one turn to transform my trading empire into a world-dominating force, one turn to adapt to a more accomodating form of government. Then a long clumsy invasion that would have been handled better with more diplomats, settlers, and horses instead of marines (but it was fun, and that counts for something too). When I had accomplished my trading goals, the previously unmolested Japan was conquered within 2 turns.

I never defended.

The only time when I was forced to defend when the Spanish landed near Stratsbourg with a settler and a warrior. A settler fended the warrior attack and a crusader destroyed the settler afterwards.

Apart from that, I was always on the offensive.

Most of the damage to the other civs was done while on Mon/Fundy, so no problem here.

Altough I agree that horses are infinitely superior to Marines. I almost never attack cities with one-move units. You never want to defend anyway. Especially in Warlord.

I am also shocked that you lost a (vet) Marine. Do you know which enemy unit killed it?

(Oh, and btw, the only city I bought/subverted was the last Indian one. All the others were taken by crusaders/cavalry.)

Sounds like a green star to you Magic ! I'm at around 460BC, and not sure why I'm still playing. I could've conquered around the time you did, but didn't want to ... can't even remember exactly why not. It's been fun, though.

Done in 400BC. If you could post some sort of log, Magic, it might help improve my game at least.

The marine I lost was an accident, I didn't really mean to attack at 1/3 strength. Probably was a phalanx in a russian city, none of them had walls.

I will try to make a log of the saves I've got....

If I read it correctly I started the same as Peaster (size 1 trick and irrigating/roads on whole island). First trireme send out 2 settlers. One of them used to build city on first whale in labyrinth....trireme follows path through it and in the meanwhile more settlers (2 in Paris) and trireme in 2nd city.... More cities build in labyrinth to get a shortcut to exit (with shipchain (which only got half way the labyrinth).

I accidently moved trireme wrong at last part of labyrinth and decided to build canalcity near exit. Trireme followed path to exit with horsemen and legion (both huts) and land on empty grass island. No nomads or advanced cities with the three huts so I decided to attack Japanese with these units. I managed to conquer first Japanese city and at that moment I got five caravans through labyrinth (guess there was about 20 turns between first and last one) to get extra gold to rushbuy army (elephants).

Quickly destroyed japanese and headed to Spain. At that moment I build army on Japanese island to conquer Russians (first) and Indians (2nd) and Spanish island and conquered Chinese (first) and Greek (2nd).

As said I will try to make a more detailled log of my saves when I have more time...

During this period, war was the focus, with preparing trade being second. I was rather gun-ho during this period, as you may be able to tell by looking at my rep... :lol:

980 BC: Spain develops Astronomy. Russian government changed to Monarchy. Discover Physics (1) start Magnetism. Crusader kills Russian Phalanx in Kiev: Kiev stormed for 58 gold. Take Chivalry. Kill Russian Phalanx in Minsk: Minsk stormed for 41g. Rep is now Excellent. After stabbing the Japs in the back, I don’t think it can recover that fast: I think that killing the backstabbed civ helps soften up the damage. Kill Russian settler outside of Odessa: Russian military is wiped out, save for that Settler in the ice cap... and a Russian Chariot near Genoa? Russia will be dead before the Chariot can conquer the city anyways. It seems that the military indicator in the F3 screen does not count enemy NONE units. Sell captured Barracks in St. Petersburg for 40g. Start plans for the petting of the Indian civilization.

960 BC: China develops Currency. Russian chariot near Genoa. Take Odessa. Plunder 43 gold. RUSSIAN CIV DESTROYED BY THE FRENCH. For some random reason I also get the ‘’russian civ destroyed by barbs’’ message. The Russian chariot near Genoa is no more. Sell captured Barracks in Minsk for 40g. Hail Indians: They demand Navigation, refused. I ask for tribute, refused. Attitude drops to Cordial. Build Marne.

940 BC: Hail Indians: Exact same results as last time. Build Guadeloupe.

920 BC: PARIS BUILDS MAGELLAN’s. Adam Smith’s started. Nice founded as the very last canal city for the currently forming shipchain to Greece. 3 vans in Paris: 250 shields left for Adam Smith’s. Pop hut: Nomads. Obviously. 10 nomads on the ice cap and counting. *note to self, get them out of there ASAP* Unload my army in India. Hail Indians: Exact same result as before? The RMS of my crusaders was WAY HIGHER than India’s puny 9 units... My army has to bail.

900 BC: Hail Indians: Same as before, attitude down to Receptive.

880 BC: Leonardo’s upgrades all Caravels to Galleons: Discover Magnetism. Research Democracy (2) Hail Indians: Same as before. If things don’t go my way by next turn, it will be time to pull swords. Vichy founded. Build Patay. Pop hut: Nomads. 4 food vans in Paris: 40 shields left to Adam Smith’s. Pop hut: 50g.

860 BC: Accidentaly ask for withdrawal of troops instead of tribute to Indians. Will not affect the remaining of actions anyway: The decision is made to sneak attack the Indians. Reputation down to Questionable. Kill an Indian Warrior in Bangalore: Bangalore sacked and razed for 21g. Kill Indian archer in Calcutta: Calcutta stormed for 62g.

840 BC: The Chinese abandon the GL. They started early and now what? Lol. So do the Indians, but they have a reason to do so... Kill Indian Settler near Calcutta. Kill Indian warrior in a fort near Bombay: Crusader vet. Kill Indian Phalanx in Bombay. Kill Indian Archer in a fort near Madras: Kill Phalanx in Madras. Kill Pikemen in Madras. Kill Horsemen near Delhi. Kill Warrior in Delhi. They are at my mercy. 3 wars won and no casualties yet. Pop hut: Barbs. Decide to leave Madras to the Indians: The city is at the center of the Indian continent but with 1 pop point and settlers coming from the ice cap, they will never have time to spawn another city before their island is filled by French peasants. Storm Bombay: 101g plundered. Storm Delhi: 72g plundered, Lighthouse captured. Pop hut: Nomads. No, not on the ice cap! Hail Chinese: They want to trade Bridge Building for Invention, refused. They demand Invention, refused. I ask for tribute, refused.

820 BC: The Chinese start the GL again. My settler kills 2 barb horsemen, can’t see the end result because civ2.exe was not responding. Again. CPU usage hovering around 55 to 75% without the mapeditor this time... but anyways. Hail Indians: They ask for cease-fire, rejected. They vow to continue their war? I was expecting tribute! (remember they have 0 units left) Okay, I backstabbed them, but they are /supposed/ to be peaceful. And I can’t destroy them yet because of the KeyCiv penalty. We are not playing with respawns. Oh well. SHIP CHAIN TO GREECE IS NOW COMPLETE. Accidentaly hail Greeks: Agree to trade Bridge Building (0) for Navigation. They demand Invention, refused. Update maps. Hail Chinese: Same thing than last time, attitude down to Receptive. Tours III built.

800 BC: Spain starts the Oracle. Pop hut: 25g. Legion kills Barb horsemen. A lone crusader lands outside the Spanish city of Valence: Kill a Phalanx in Valence after talk offer is rejected. Hail Chinese: Same thing as before. Kill an Indian Pikemen in Madras. Alger built.

780 BC: Barb horsemen attacks my legion and is defeated. Discover Democracy: Research Theology. (1) Population exceeds 6 million people. Crusader sacks and razes Valence: 30 gold plundered. . Sign a cease-fire with the Indians: For some random reason they will simply not pay tribute. Hail Chinese: Same as before. Can’t wait. Sneak attack the Chinese: Crusader kills Phalanx unit in Canton. The Chinese abandon and restart the GL. Crusader vet. Storm Canton: 66g plundered. Kill a Phalanx in Shanghai: crusader vet. Shanghai stormed for 19g. Kill an explorer near Canton. Chinese have 5 units left: Reputation is Poor. Build Martinique. Switch Paris from Adam Smith’s to SoL: Rushbuy the SoL for 60g.

760 BC: Paris builds the Statue of Liberty. Crusader lands outside of Cordoue: Crusader kills Spanish archer and becomes vet. Pikemen storms Cordoue for 61g. 3 crusaders kill 1 chinese Phalanx and 2 chinese Warriors. Storm Beijing: 52g plundered. Sell captured Colosseum for 100g. Crusader kills Phalanx in Nankin: Nankin stormed for 38g. CHINESE CIV DESTROYED BY THE ALMIGHTY FRENCH. To celebrate, a wise guy kills the King: growing influence of religion creates a REVOLUTION! T0L6S4. The city of Bastille is founded.

740 BC: Spanish Phalanx attacks my injured Crusader and gets killed. Yay for Vet status. Civil disorder in Avignon II, Prague, Bayonne. Official Fundamentalist government established: T2L0S8, discoveries 6 turns, 630g revenue per turn. Yay for tithes. Elvis in Paris to fire up celebration again, and rush Harbour. Kill Spanish chariot near Beijing?!? Galleon discovers Spanish city of Salamanque on the Chinese continent. Hail Greeks: Give Invention, update maps. Pop hut: 50g. Build FormerSmolensk.

720 BC: Techrate 5 turns. Unload part of my army in Spain: I have not lost a single unit to enemy action (except Barbarian action) yet! Enemy casualties so far (not counting units lost due to supported units having their supporting cities conquered) :
JAPANESE: 3 Phalanx, 3 Archer, 1 Warrior, 1 unknown unit.
RUSSIANS: 3 Archers, 1 Horsemen, 1 Pikemen, 2 Chariot, 1 Catapult, 1 Legion, 2 Phalanx, 1 Settler.
SPANISH: 1 Settler, 1 Warrior, 2 Phalanx, 1 Archer, 2 Triremes, 1 Chariot.
Indians: 2 Warrior, 2 Archer, 1 Settler, 2 Phalanx, 2 Pikemen, 1 Horsemen,
Chinese: 4 Phalanx, 1 Explorer, 2 Warriors.
French casualties: NONE :)

Pop hut: Crusader. Hail Indians: I ask for tribute: they declare WAR! (does not make sense... is there a feature that forces your KeyCiv to pretty much suicide or what?)
700 BC: Kill Spanish chariot near Cordoue. Kill Phalanx in Madrid. Kill Archer in Séville. Spanish abandon Oracle. Storm Séville: 65g plundered. Kill Spanish warrior near Beijing.

680 BC: SPANISH CHARIOT KILLS MY CRUSADER NEAR MADRID. Dang, first casualty. Hail Indians: They offer cease-fire, accept. I offer peace treaty, they refuse?!? Seems they deem me as untrustworthy. Guess it’s Eiffel Tower time. Ste-Mère-Église is founded as the first ‘’filler’’ city on the Indian continent. Crusader kills Spanish legion. Crusader kills fortified Legion in a fortress near Cordoue. Crusader kills Spanish catapult near Séville. Kill Spanish warrior and Chariot in Madrid. Storm Madrid: 68 gold plundered. Spanish military down to 5 units. Pop hut: 50g. Paris starts Adam Smith’s: 7 food vans and 50 shields left.

660 BC: Discover Theology (2) Start Theory of Gravity. Cordoue builds Temple. Zoom to city trick, change Paris from Adam Smith’s to JSB (Pikemen from Paris in Cordoue) Rush JSB for 200g. PARIS BUILDS JSB, starts Adam Smith’s. Now making 1010g profit per turn! (default tithes are +6 without any improvements) Kill Phalanx in Salamanque: Salamanque sacked and razed for 44g. Kill legion in Tolède: Tolède stormed for 114g. SPANISH CIVILIZATION DESTROYED BY FRENCH. What now... Hail Greeks: They demand Physics, given. Give Pottery, Myscitism, Chivalry, Banking, Writing, Seafaring, Code of Laws, Astronomy, University, Trade, Sanitation, Magnetism, Monarchy, and (finally) Democracy. Update maps. Build Alpes. Build Sardaignes.

640 BC: Hail Indians: Give them Navigation before they say goodbye. Alsace founded. Lorraine founded. Celebration in Paris ends... red hats do matter for Luxuries, the Fundy happiness is applied after luxuries. Throw in another Elvis for celebration next turn.

620 BC: WLTPD in Paris. Hail Indians: Give Iron Working, offer peace but they say no. Van in Paris: 340 shields left for AS. Hail Greeks: They ask for Feudalism, I say no. I ask for tribute, they say no. Attitude down to Receptive. I will try to take northern Greece only because their cities there are not well connected with the Greek road network. The 3 targeted cities are Argos, Thermopyles and Pharsale. Remember the shipchain can also access landmass 16, Spain and China. Start rushing only harbours in to prepare my mountain cities for PDS.

600 BC: Greek government overthrown. Now is it a democracy, like I want it, or a monarchy, to prepare for a war against France? Happiest civs in the world: French1st, Greeks2nd, Indians3rd. Greece is a democracy! Good! Now will it stay that way? Hail Greeks: Same result as before, attitude Neutral. 2 vans in Paris: 235 shields left.

580 BC: Hail Greeks: Same as before, they stay at neutral.

560 BC: Discover Theory of Gravity, start Chemistry (0) Population exceeds 8mil citizens. Hail Greeks: Same as before. I can’t sneak attack because after war, I will need peace to unload vans and stuff. Honfleur built. Nantes built. Van in Paris: 175 shields left.

540 BC: Hail Greeks: Same thing as before, go down to Uncooperative. Pop hut: 25g. Food van in Paris: 120 shields left. Montpellier founded.

520 BC: Hail Greeks: They demand Theory of Gravity. I say no, they profess threats. I ask for tribute, they declare WAR! Finally! Crusader kills a Greek Legion in Argos:
Argos stormed for 49g. Crusader kills a warrior in Pharsale: Pharsale stormed for 22g. Crusader kills a Phalanx in Thermopyles: Thermopyles stormed for 31g. Kill a settler outside of Knossos. Hail Greeks: They demand for Theory of Gravity, say no. They offer cease-fire, I say yes. I offer peace treaty... rejected. Bad rep is a pain right now. Objective is achieved however: I plan to switch to Democracy as soon as Chemistry is discovered (get some cash meanwhile) For some random reason the Defence minister says I am producing 255 pikemen right now... classic tends to be buggy. Food van in Paris: 65s for Adam Smith’s.

500 BC: Greeks almost done with KRC. Fiou, I was afraid they were going to abandon after losing 3/8 cities in a turn. Pop. exceeds 9mil. Food van in Paris: Adam Smith’s... oh sorry, just changed that to Isaac Newton’s! Will be complete in 2 turns. Lille built. Rennes built.

Status at 500 BC:

Population: 9.09 mil Cities: 127 Trade routes: 0D0F Government: Fundy
Gold: 3910 Cost per turn: 65 Total advances: 41 Production: 360MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: Pyramids, Marco, Mikes, HG, Leo’s, Cope, Mag’s, LH, JSB, SoL. 2 turns away from Isaac Newton’s.
Units: 29 Settlers, 1 legion, 10 pikemen, 20 crusaders, 51 galleons, 84 caravans.
Russians: Destroyed by me
Spanish: Destroyed by me
Chinese: Destroyed by me
Greeks: 5 cities, 34 techs. 14 units. Cease-fire. Democracy. They have Colossus, almost done with KRC.
Indians: 1 city, 30 techs. 2 units, Republic. Cease-fire.
My power is Supreme and my rep is Poor.

Needless to say, there was some serious action going in the Prairie lands. Action there was also back home, as I used my Fundy riches to rush tons and tons of commodity caravans. With tithes at +3 per city (and later +6) and the elimination of corruption, my huge pack of small cities was able to churn cash rather easily. I went from 11 vans, mainly food, to 84 vans, almost all commodities in only 25 turns: most of my cash went there. My ship chain was established rather early, but I started shipping (not delivering) vans really late. This period consisted of mainly careful planning going thru for a rapid blitzkrieg of trade and growth under Democracy.

I have played and finished the game. Here is the first part of my log.

4000 BC: Paris Built, Move second settler. Techrate 5 turns T4L0S6. Start Settler (to be changed to Trireme).

3980 BC: Start Code of Laws. Road started with the other settler.

3940 BC: RB 1sh in Paris

3900 BC: Code of Laws discovered, Mapmaking chosen next. Techrate 9 turns.

3780 BC: Paris size 2. Still need 6 beakers for Map Making. Only need 5 shields for Settler/Trireme. Both workers moved to non-Whale ocean for 3 beakers per turn.

3740 BC: Mapmaking discovered, Start Writing. Paris production switched to Trireme.

3720 BC: Paris builds Trireme, settler boards. The settler was able to road all three squares of the home island and irrigate 1. Workers are on Whale and Irrigated Shielded grass. Paris starts settler.

3700 BC: Rush Build 6 sh. Grass Worker to ocean for extra science.

3680 BC: Worker still in ocean, T5L0S5, Settler disembarks at 29,61.

3660 BC: Worker back to Grass, T4L0S6. Settler beings mining operations.

3540 BC: Paris build Settler, boards trireme, starts warrior.

3520 BC: Writing discovered, start Ceremonial Burial (tech cost is 27), Settler disembarks at 29,61.

3500 BC: Orleans founded at 29,61, starts warrior. Change Paris production to settler, RB 2sh. Paris Worker to Ocean (4 beakers per turn).

3480 BC: Mining complete in Orleans.

3460BC: Settler boards Trireme and disembarks at 25,65, Paris worker back to grass

3440BC: Settler moves to 24,66 (iron)

3420BC: Settler begins iron mining. Orleans builds warrior, boards trireme and disembarks on hut -> Ancient Scrolls - Literacy (Tech Cost 35)

3400BC: Warrior back on Trireme

3380BC: Warrior disembarks at 39,53 (next to hut)

3360BC: Hut - Barb Horse. Orleans changes production to Diplomat

3340BC: Barb Horse kills warrior, Paris Settler, Boards Trireme

3300BC: Ceremonial Burial discovered, start Republic (Monarchy not available) (Tech cost 42).

3280BC: Settler disembarks at 24,66

3260BC: Lyons founded at 24,66, starts building trireme

3240BC: Iron mine under Lyons is complete

3220BC: Orleans builds diplomat, Boards Trireme, Settler moves out of Lyons, Orleans starts Settler. RB Lyons 5sh.

3200BC: Settler begins mining (charging). Dip pops hut at 32,66, Chariot. Chariot boards trireme.

Status at 3200 BC:

Population: 0.05M Cities: 3 Trade routes: 0D0F Government: Despotism
Gold: 53 Cost per turn: 0 Total advances: 6 Production: 10MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: None
Units: 1 Settlers, 1 Chariot, 1 Trireme, 1 Diplomat
No contact with anybody.

3180BC: Diplomat explores in Tundra, Trireme head towards Pairs, Settler charges

3160BC: RB Orleans 1sh

3140BC: Diplomat sees hut

3120BC: Diplomat pops hut -> Ancient Scrolls - Horseback Riding (Tech Cost 56)

3100BC: Paris Settler, boards trireme (chariot is still aboard). Trireme heads into the labyrinth. RB Orleans 1sh.

3040BC: Trireme reaches Lyons (with Paris settler). NON settler moves back into Lyons for transport. Trireme heads back to Orleans.

3020BC: Republic is discovered, Start Bronze Working (tech cost 64). Lyons builds trireme, Orleans builds settler. 2 settlers in Lyons board trireme and head into the labyrinth. Orleans settler boards other trireme. Chariot moves south out of Lyons.

3000BC: Settlers disembark at 17,69. Hut -> Ancient Scrolls - Bronze Working (tech cost 72), Revolution

2980BC: Louis XIV proclaimed Consul of new French Republic T2L0S8 (total science 13, tech rate 7 turns), NON settlers starts mining, Paris settler founds Rheims at 17,69. Chariot pops hut next to Rheims -> Archer. Archer moves into Rheims and disbands (toward trireme). Orleans settler arrives in Rheims

2960BC: Orleans settler boards trireme, disembarks at 14,68 (iron). Non settler finishes mine at Rheims. RB Lyons 1sh, Rheims 4sh

2940BC: Orleans settler starts iron mine. NON settler boards trireme and disembarks at iron.

2920BC: Orleans settler helps charge NON settler, Hut -> Ancient Scrolls - Masonry (tech cost 90).

2900BC: Orleans settler founds Tours at 14,68. Chariot disembarks at 10,68.

2880BC: Chariot moves on Mountains

2860BC RB Paris 6sh

2840BC Currency discovered, start Trade (tech cost 99), Paris builds settler (boards trireme), Hut -> Ancient Scrolls - Trade!!! (tech cost 132), RB Tours 8sh. Lyons, Tours, Orleans and Paris change production to caravan.

2820BC Start Pottery, RB Tours 6sh, Orleans 5sh.

2800BC: Paris settler moving on ship chain.

2780BC: Iron mine finished at Tours. RB Tours 2sh.

2760BC: Lyons builds van (Salt), Hut Polytheism (tech cost 156), Settlers land at 10,68.

2740BC: Tours builds van (Silver), Both settlers start mine. Hut Archer

2720BC: RB Lyons 2sh

2700BC: Vans arrive at Orleans

2680BC: Lyons builds van (food), Paris settler stops mining.

2660BC: Marseilles founded at 10,68.

2640BC: Pottery is discovered, start Seafaring (tech cost 168), Mining should have been done at Marseilles, apparently I messed up the charges.

2620BC: RB Orleans 1sh, Marseilles 1sh

2600BC: RB Tours 2sh, Marseilles 7sh, Chariot disbands in Marseilles, T0L5S5 (Paris will grow to size 3 after this turn).

2580BC: WLTCD in Paris (size 3). Population at 100,000. Hut -> 50g

Date notes

480 BC: Athens (Greek) builds KRC. Discover Chemistry: GODDARNIT Steam Engine not available. Start Atomic Theory (only other choice was gunpowder, which removes the pikemen rushing slot) Le Havre founded. Saint-Étienne founded. Hail Greeks: Give Chemistry before they say goodbye. REVOLUTION!!! T0L6S4. While cycling cities to add riot-preventing Elvises, turn accidentally ended... pissed.

460 BC: 22 cities (out of 129... not that bad) revolt. Amidst that chaos, Paris builds Isaac Newton’s. Democracy established. T10L0S0, with a grand total of... 0 Elvises. Nice! It shows we’re in Warlord... making 755 profit per turn (minus the 22 revolting cities) Tech cost 966. Disband a few units. Pop hut: NONE legion. Hire Einstein in Versailles. Put ship chain in action... and mess up. Fail. Hail Greeks: Give ToG. Offer peace, they reject.

440 BC: Civil disorder in Dijon: Forgot to check happiness after moving crusader out of a city. I’m lucky my government held. 4 copper vans shipped to Athens using the ship chain! Park them outside. Elvis in Argos to trigger WLTPD. Accidentaly end turn while rushing caravans: seems doubleclicking elsewhere than the main screen does the trick.

420 BC: WLTPD in Argos. Dijon grows in unhappiness but not unrest, rush a courthouse. Paris builds first Sewer, pop exceeds 10mil citizens. Besançon copper (d) to Athens: 404g establishes the first trade route. Athens no longer demands coal. Toulon built.

400 BC: Build Angers as the last filler city in the Indian continent. Salzburg silk (d) to Athens: 644g! Tech box very obviously full. Hail Greeks: Give Feudalism. Offer peace treaty, guess what? Rejected. What the heck happened? Boat missing for ship chain! Darnit, that will prevent deliveries for a while. Decide to temporarily halt the growth of cities in the maze because I want them to grow via PDS: reassign some workers to gold and iron squares in some cities. Saint-Denis built. Pop hut: Nomads. Elvis in Pharsale to start celebration.

380 BC: Discover Atomic Theory: start Steam Engine. WLTPD in Pharsale. Start Adam Smith’s in Paris. 5 vans in Paris: 150 shields left. Marseille copper (d) to Sparte: 156g. Not that surprising considering my city is very small. Tech cost 1032. Bordeaux salt (nd) to Athènes: 322g. Pop hut: NONE crusader. WLTPD in Argos will end next turn. Salamis silver (d) to Canton: 212g. Build Le Mans. T7L0S3 for advance next turn. Need Steam Engine and Eiffel Tower: I have a feeling the Greeks will soon attack and I need a peace treaty.

360 BC: WLTPD cancelled in Argos. Discover Steam Engine: start Railroad. Chartres copper (d) to Corinthe: 88g. T10L0S0. Switch Paris to the Eiffel Tower: RB Eiffel
for 184g. I could use the rep increase right now. Villeurbanne built. Limoges built.

340 BC: WLTPD cancelled in Pharsale, courtesy of the RF. Paris builds the Eiffel Tower: starts Adam Smith’s. 2 vans in Paris: 300 shields left for AS. Reputation is now Honorable. Hail Indians: Peace, update maps. Same for the Greeks. Prague copper (d) to Knossos: 376g. Montreal beads (d) to Athènes: 472g. T9L0S1.

320 BC: Hanging Gardens’ effect is cancelled as Railroad is discovered. Industrialization is next. Score sank from XXX to XXX in a turn... Montreal silk (d) to Sparte: 364g. Pisae copper (d) to Dijon: 124g. Avignon salt (nd) to Athènes: 146g. Toulouse beads (d) to Athènes: 160g. Looks like I’ll have to sacrifice a few vans to get a 3tech turn and to get Corporation next turn. Poitiers copper (nd) to Athènes: 130g. Hail Indians: Give Railroad, Invention, Physics, Steam Engine, Bridge Building, Magnetism, Engineering, Chemistry, Economy, Chivalry and Theory of Gravity. Tech bombing made my tech box full. Now that I have Railroad, iron cities produce 2 more shields and ivory cities 1 more! :lol: Rush Darwin’s in Grenoble II for 1592g. T10L0S0. Van in Paris: 246s for AS.

300 BC: Leo’s upgrades all Galleons to Transports as Industrialization is discovered. More cargo space will help! Gunpowder is next (only other choice was Commy, which will hurt Cathedrals while PDS is only a few turns away) Grenoble II finishes Darwin’s. Leo’s upgrades Pikemen to Musketeers as Gunpowder is discovered: same with Legions. Choose Corporation next: Leo’s upgrades all Caravans to Freight as The Corporation is discovered. Explosives is next (again, Communism only other option) Brest silver (d) to Athènes: 455g. Not bad considering my city had only 3 base trade arrows! T6L0S4: want to build up on van stock, so will raise science for advance next turn (tech cost in the 1000ish beakers)

280 BC: Leonardo’s upgrades all Settlers to Engineers as Explosives is discovered. Genetic Engineering is next. Population exceeds 12mil citizens. Tech cost 1029ish. Cannae silver (d) to Athènes: 450g.
Lyons II silver (d) to Athènes: 480g. Bayonne II Gems (d) to Dijon: 260g. Van in Paris: 182s left. Metz built.

260 BC: Discover Genetic Engineering, start Metallurgy. Louvre builds Temple, zoom to city trick, rush the Cure in Cunaxa for 2388g. CUNAXA BUILDS THE CURE FOR CANCER. Salamis II silver (d) to Athènes: 360g. Toulouse silver (d) to Athènes: 650g. Brest copper (d) to Beijing: 80g. T5L5S0 to start nation-wide PDS. Cancel order to favour gold/iron squares on size 3+ cities in the maze. Perpignan built. 2 vans in Paris: 84s left for AS. Rush AS for 336g.

240 BC: Discover Metallurgy, start Electricity. Versailles also builds Courthouse. City-on-ivory Ghent celebrates. Paris builds Adam Smith’s and celebrates, like almost every single size 3+ city in the French nation. Cherbourg II copper (d) to Athènes: 300g. Tech cost 1173. Venice II copper (d) to Athènes: 312g. Crete II copper (d) to Capua: 92g. Turin copper (d) to Canton: 182g. Avignon copper (d) to Athènes: 420g. Caen built. Nancy built. Argenteuil built.
-

Status at 240 BC:

Population: 12.98 mil Cities: 141 Trade routes: 5D18F Government: Democracy
Gold: 8823 Cost per turn: 32 Total advances: 51 Production: 430MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: Pyramids, Marco, Mikes, HG, Leo’s, Cope, Mag’s, LH, JSB, SoL, Isaac Newton’s, Eiffel, Darwin’s, Cure for Cancer, Adam Smith’s.
Units: 48 Engineers, 15 musketeers, 16 crusaders, 59 Transports, 135 freight.
Russians: Destroyed by me
Spanish: Destroyed by me
Chinese: Destroyed by me
Greeks: 5 cities, 37 techs. 15 units. Peace. Democracy. They have Colossus and KRC.
Indians: 1 city, 39 techs. 2 units, Republic, peace.

Things started to go pretty fast after 500 BC. Democracy was established and Big Trade started. As my planned nationwide PDS has just started, my cash reserves from taxes in the Fundy/pre-PDS Demo era and from van deliveries would be crucial in the next 15 turns.

I started to play and have played to -2000. I will post a log soon.

I started with very careful planning. I spent over an hour on the map choosing my mountain city sites. Most were placed as a canal, a few for resources.

Next I concentrated on the starting position. Like most, I quickly decided to move one tile to the east to get the mountain and glaciers out of my city radius. I know Peaster, and perhaps others, did not and used the mountain for a size 1 trick; the idea of which did not even occur to me.

My first inclination was to get out as fast as possible. Careful calculation and simulation showed that I can get out with a warrior and the original settler about ten turns faster than with two settlers. But I decided to go with two settlers for 3 reasons:
1. First two huts were on mountains. I could tip them with a settler and even if I get barbs my settler would likely survive. There were good chances of getting a unit from this two which could then go on more hut hunting. Since any unit I would get would be supported I rather not pay an extra shield for the warrior.
2. The third tech we research could not be any of CB, CL, or Monarchy. If I wanted to get out fast I would have to do CB/CL,Map,?,CL/CB,Monarchy. If meanwhile I would get a tech from huts (quite likely event) Monarchy would be delayed even further because it cannot be the sixth tech either. This problem would go away if I got 2 or 3 techs instead of 1, but then my tech cost would go very high. By building a settler first, I could delay Mapmaking till the third tech and do CB,CL,Map,Monarchy. This way Monarchy would be started before I am off the island and hence could not be delayed for too long even if I did get a few other techs from huts.
3. Even though the second city would be delayed by about ten turns, the third city would be established faster if I built a settler before heading out.

I did think about size 1 settler but having already decided to move east I would have had to rely on the nonshielded grass to become a forest. My calculation/simulation showed that it is not going to happen fast enough and I decided against it. (I could have delayed building Paris but I did not want to.) I did turn that tile into forest, but did not use it a whole lot.

I planned to build Pyramids and Marco early on, Colossus a bit later in Paris, Magellan and Sun Tzu later on. I deemed no other wonder essential.

My plan is to stay in Monarchy. I may add HG in Paris for celebration later on. If I cannot conquer fast enough I will build Leo and Statue for changing to fundy.

Top Bottom