GOTM #13 *Spoilers* Thread

Ok, I just checked my savegames. I discovered Navigation in 720 AD (a lot later than I thought) and finished my conquest around 1400 AD.

I got Navigation in 650 AD, but that was after a long detour, since I was going for culture in Tenochtitlan. Domination came in 1130 AD, only because it was already december ...

Was Serg the only one who got an early Settler?

I can't speak for everyone, but all I got were a few lousy maps, and a bunch of babarians. :cry: Sometimes I wonder if it is even worth it to pop the huts.

Originally posted by Ribannah

No early settler (or any kind of free settler) for me!:(

To Creepster: No problem!:)

Originally posted by Creepster
I can't speak for everyone, but all I got were a few lousy maps, and a bunch of babarians. :cry: Sometimes I wonder if it is even worth it to pop the huts.

Sure you can speak for me.;) That was exactly what happened to me in GOTM#14. I popped the first hut and three barbs came out. The second barb slaugtered my warrior that opened it. Then two of them went to attack my nearest town (west of Babylon). Lucky for me, they failed.

As I wrote in the GOTM12 results thread I didn't want play the GOTM13 because hadn't enough time for this. And I have tryed begin the game only for look what the game is in that month. I saw that there is the one hut inside the potential first city borders. If city is founded on the starting position the hut is immediately opened. But in the one thread I have read about free settlers getting conditions: if the average number of enemies cities are grater than my own and if I haven't military units I don't get barbarians from the hut. If I not founded city in 4000BC it may be signed as my weakness and I get the settler for help.
I founded my first city one tile left from the starting position and entering the hut by worker (after it built the road on starting tile).
I really got the settler and decided that is the sign for me to play this GOTM.
The second hut gave me 3 barbs and my JW stand elite. At that time the russian scut already dicovered me and I saw the Moscow's border on the NE from me. I decided immediately attack Russia while it hasn't many strong defenders. I took Moscow with 3 JW and moved to S-Petersburg. By the road I meet single spearmen and attacked him with elite JW. I got GL in this buttle and rushed Piramids in Moscow. Further I was more powerfull in comparing with other civs and easely killed they.

I just checked. That seems indeed to be the absolutely only way to get a Settler from that hut. So, a couple of questions:

(1) Why did you move your Settler to the west (NE looks a tad more attractive, and would automatically open the hut on turn two (gives map)?
(2) Why, as long as you were moving, didn't you move further, to the north, away from the desert and increasing the chance that another civ finds a settler and builds city #2 (hut then gives Pottery or, if you are researching that, Bronze Working)?
(3) Why did you build a road with your worker on the starting tile, instead of hopping to the wheat tiles that would be worked first, or opening the hut right away (again, Pottery)?

Also note that if you wait for your borders to expand or to open the hut with a JW, a Russian scout races past and opens the hut.

I always move away from huts. I'm not sure, but I think you can't get a settler from opening a hut by founding a city. You have to have no active settlers, and your settler must be still 'active' when the hut is opened by the culture borders (that time when the city has 0 pop). I played a bit of GOTM13, and moving west was how I started, just I'd never open a hut with a worker as a non-expansionist... too good a chance of losing your worker, so the Russians got the hut in my game. Still I think it's the best move to make when in that sort of situation (west, definitely not opening the hut with the Worker... never do that).

I think I read some where on this forum that when your civ has no military unit, you won't get barb from the huts. Therefore, it must be perfectly safe to open the hut with worker in this case.

Aeson: I think you're right in your assumption that you do not get settlers when building a city near a hut. Grabbing a hut with no military unit available in your empire will never yield barbarians, whether you're expansionistic or not.

What i do not, like Ribannah, understand however, is why a top-player like Serg starts building a road on a square that isn't going to be used by the city for a long time. :confused:
Isn't it a waste of worker productivity to be roading that non-used square so early in the game, instead of increasing Tenochtitlan's growth capabilities by irrigating the wheat?

There were too many distraction in my game. At least more than one occasion, while my troops were fighting on the field, my husband decided that I should pay special attention to him

This got me really day dreaming about Moosinger paying me "special attention" :love:

Hope you are going to win this one Moonsinger you got a great game this time !

Originally posted by Aeson
I played a bit of GOTM13, and moving west was how I started.
So did I, but only as step one of several to get away from the desert. Moving the settler west gave the most info. I settled in 3850 BC in prime spot (1 dyes and cattle within the city limit!).
I didn't attack any Spearmen until I had Archers, then I conquered Moscow.

Originally posted by Kemal

What i do not, like Ribannah, understand however, is why a top-player like Serg starts building a road on a square that isn't going to be used by the city for a long time. :confused:

Well it seems like the right thing to do since he got a settler.

I tend to avoid pucky starts cause getting that first warrior out in the field can yield some good results also. If I really don't like the start point once i see the surrounding regions I can move my palace later, saves alot of anxiety.

I build the road on the start tile beacause worker must working while I haven't any city. I know this tile isn't the best place for working. I was waiting for first city with borders don't include the hut. And note! I didn't want to play that GOTM, I only started with interesting experiment.

Originally posted by Ribannah
Why not move onto the hill instead? Not only does that save two turns, but it also gives you a lot of info about the area.

You are right. It's my mistake. It was more logically (if you mean worker).

Top Bottom