News: TSG86 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 86
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Eighty-sixth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Intentional use of the Science Overflow Bug is banned. Its use will result in your game being disqualified for results.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomacy. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Diplomacy victory turn.

In this game you will play as Persia and lead the Persian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomacy is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until June 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG86 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: - Darius I - Persia
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Oval
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: King
Game pace: Standard
Game options: No Espionage is enabled. Quick Combat is enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.144. NO DLC are required for this game but the Gods and Kings expansion is required.

In this game, you will be playing as Persia, you possess Achaemenid Legacy. Golden Ages last 50% longer. During a Golden Age, units receive +1 Movement and a +10% Combat Strength bonus.

You can train Immortals, a Unique Spearman that only Persia may train. They are specialized in defending against Mounted units and have a higher Combat Strength and heals more quickly than the Spearman, which it replaces.

You can also build Satrap's Court, a Unique building that replaces the Bank. A City must have a Market. Trade routes other players make to a city with a Satraps Court will generate an extra 1 gold Gold for the city owner and the trade route owner gains an additional 1 gold Gold for the trade route.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Sunday, 15 June 2014.

The save will be available for download on Thursday, 15 May 2014 at mid-night server time (US Daylight Saving Central Time)
The Save can be found here.

Assuming that is ocean to the SW, you can settle on the coast hill and build Colossus and Petra.

Erm ... I 'm assuming a typoe, but it says that the game ends May 15. Which is two weeks before TSG 85 is supposed to end.

"Sorry, file TSG86_Start.Civ5Save is not available." When will it be available? Maybe need to specify a start date on top of the end date. Unless i am blind and missed it, which is quite possible. :p

Also out of curiosity, why so many low difficulty TSGs? I get that we are racing the other people on the forum and not the AI, but most players on this forum seem to play at least emperor so I am wondering if there is a reason for the low difficulty.

Erm ... I 'm assuming a typoe, but it says that the game ends May 15. Which is two weeks before TSG 85 is supposed to end.
Corrected, thanks.

"Sorry, file TSG86_Start.Civ5Save is not available." When will it be available? Maybe need to specify a start date on top of the end date. Unless i am blind and missed it, which is quite possible. :p

Also out of curiosity, why so many low difficulty TSGs? I get that we are racing the other people on the forum and not the AI, but most players on this forum seem to play at least emperor so I am wondering if there is a reason for the low difficulty.
There are two TSG's run per month, starting on the 1st and 15th of the month. The first of the month is difficulty level Emperor to Deity and the 15th of the month is King and below. This gives access to games for players of all skill levels.

There are two TSG's run per month, starting on the 1st and 15th of the month. The first of the month is difficulty level Emperor to Deity and the 15th of the month is King and below. This gives access to games for players of all skill levels.
Ahhh, makes sens. Good system you got there. :D

Wait a second. No Espionage. Does this mean you can't use a Diplomat to get extra votes at the end?

No tech stealing either. I think pointy stick diplomacy will be the fastest way.

Haven't played Persia since GNK, do you push GA's hard or just be smart and use them pretty much as they come? Rush Chichen? Probably doesn't matter on King. It will probably just be lawls during conquests if you happen to get one.

How about Immortals? Take a cap early with them? If so, can they do it by themselves without CBs? Build enough of them to upgrade? Ignore them and do standard CBs/XBs?

Get following message in new window when clinking the save d/l link. Using OS X Safari. Same when using Chrome.

Sorry, file TSG86_Start.Civ5Save is not available.

Ah hell, never mind. May 15 it is.

Looks to be another diplomatic victory by domination game. Persia is well suited for it. Hope that sea access isn't one of the inland seas this map usually generates.

I tried the latest map and i got too cocky. I actually rage-quitted and feeling a little humbled. I shall give this another try. Can't wait to share my 1st 100 turns in the appropriate thread.

O crap i just realized i am not supposed to replay any moves or games. Oh well i forfeit this round.:(

I dont understand sub-200? Dont you still have to tech to the second to last age?

Dont you still have to tech to the second to last age?
Yes, but I'm pretty sure it can be done sub 200T :)

BTW: Why there isn't opening action thread?

BTW: Why there isn't opening action thread?

They are up now (and will be stickied when the powers that be can do so). Sorry about the delay. I often forget that the community is global and some may need to post their actions within a few hours of it going live. Having the Announcement go live on the 12th of every mid-month GotM is still messing with my old thread habits, haha.

They're up now, and again, sorry for the delay.

HR

Going to give this a shot now. On King I can't resist being a wonder-whore, and I don't see how warfare will necessarily help, especially early warfare, given no vote gets triggered until I reach the Information era.

Thinking going two cities, building a ton of wonders, and riding the Golden-Age train to a ton of money to bribe CS's, get to Freedom as fast as possible. Maybe take some AI Civs late if necessary, but not before turn 150.

I'm sure some Civ god can get this done before turn 200 -- I doubt I can, buuuut I'm shooting for pre-250.

I just realize that some wonder are missing. It does not even show up in the tech tree.
e.g. MoH, and ToA in TSG 85. Is it intentionally removed or something is wrong with my game?

Those are from the Wonders of the Ancient World DLC and these GotM games don't use any of the DLC's unless specifically stated in the announcement post.

Top Bottom