1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GotM #18

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Smash, Jul 1, 2002.

1. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Chieftain

I have just finished, not a bad score for me, especially on Deity ;)

I was just wondering how to submit my files? The rules page says Matrix runs it, the game was posted by Smash but the Duke of Marlborough is now the mod. Who do I send it too and what is there email?

2. Lucky

Lucky Game- and Quizmaster

The mail goes to Duke at: DoM@civfanatics.net !

Duke is working on the webpage updates right now, but it will still take a while.
    :D

Edit: My E-mail address has been changed, please make sure to use the new one that is shown above. DoM

3. Decker

Decker Chieftain

Interesting one, Smashie. Were all other governments meant to be restricted to Despotism? That seemed to make it only a matter of time before one won (matter of time being the operative phrase as the map was enormous).

It seemed that provided one micromanaged at the start (i.e. go for trade to get over the halved science deficit of Fundy), kept building new cities and generating large armies (no happiness problems to worry about), you were bound to win. Clearly, a max aggressive strategy was the way forward - keep building those mounted units and get to the other continents asap. After a while, one's city base was so enormous that one found oneself number one for science with tons of cash to bribe every other city - hardly needed to fight in the second half of the game.

The size of the board meant that I spent a long time trying to find everyone - in the end just build Apollo Space wonder just to see where everyone was.

Perhaps, other civilisations should have been allowed to choose their governments once they got the appropriate tech advance.

Thanks for setting it up

4. starlifter

starlifter Chieftain

OOps... wrong place. Moved my spoiler log to the spoiler thread :)

5. Becka

Becka M AS IN MARTINI

To whom do we send our completed games? Smash? :confused:

Edit- nevermind, I see the posts at the top of the page now. :crazyeye:

6. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Please Submit all games to DoM@civfanatics.net

This is a different account than what was used for last months game. There were some problems with the old account.

7. texta

texta Chieftain

I have played civ for many years, and now i have decided to show the rest of the world I am the best. I will start by winning the GOTM#18. Then when I have proven I am the best, I will accept any challenge from anyone who thinks they can match me.

8. Talar

Talar Chieftain

What is the deadline to submit the game? I have almost finished it now.

9. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

10. texta

texta Chieftain

out of the shadows i have risen, all will know that i am the greatest civ 2 player ever. I finished in 440 AD. Not to good for me in Diety. MUHAHAHAHAHA

11. starlifter

starlifter Chieftain

Welcome to the GOTM section.... glad you're playing. We look forward to reading your post about your game :). 440AD sounds like a very fine finish on this map!

12. texta

texta Chieftain

The game was certainly different with the whole fundamentalist only thing. Science was very slow to start with, however, by targeting trade early (and a few lucky goody huts ;)) it started to move right along. I used a very agressive city building strategy which made setting up trade routes with my pesky triremes very tedious, but well worth it. I managed to get the romans early which gave me a huge boost. My city improvements mostly consisted of librarys and universitys, and of course temples and colleseums for more money. Money and trade was the key factor in this game as my military was small for my standards and bribery of cities was the best way to take an enemy. Those persians certainly know how to hide(and spread there citys half way across the globe). I usually use fundamentalism as a military government but since i finished before i could get fanatics it wasnt much use. I made a suprisingly large amount of wonders in a short time, thanks to the help of king richards crusade in my most productive city. I hope after people see my score on the GOTM score i will get many more internet challenges. Did i leave anything.....Oh yeah, i am the best civ2 player in the world.

13. starlifter

starlifter Chieftain

Don't hold you breath on that one... as the self-confessed greatest Civ 2 player, you doubtless realize that the top MP players use a very different skill set & playing tempo than an Crush the hapless AI that we use in SP.

If you want MP, then simply hop in at the MP Forums and join in and let them get to know you. I'm not an MP player, but understand that the number one rule (or near the top) is play people you know. You're in a catch 22. With the legnedary esteem in which you hold yourself, if it is true, why would someone want to just get beat in a 1v1 duel? So maybe not many offers. If you're not the best there ever was (but claim it), then it might rub someone the wrong way, and again, same result. No offers.

On the other hand, the AI does not care if you're good, bad, or indifferent... so you're always welcome here in SP (GOTM, Succession, Democracy, even just general Civ 2 posting to share your vast wisdom!).

I look forward to delving into the mathematics of that strategy in Fundamentalism!

I'm a little past 1000 AD in my GOTM18 and have not played it in a week, but only have a few cities left to conquer. I built no Libraries, Universities, or even the Science wonders like Copernicus Observatory and INC. My empire is incapable of generating much science output, and Fundy only makes it worse.

1. About how many cities did you have?

2. Did you find that your Libraries and Universities assisted much?

3. Did you build the Science Wonders?

4. How many turns per advance could you get?

5. What Slider setting did you use, e.g., what % science?

6. Did you deliver caravans each turn, or just once in a while?

7. If #6 was every turn, how much did you deliver before stopping?

8. What were some of the "typical" payoffs of caravans that you got?

9. About how many science advances did you have by 440? Did you reach Railroad?

Just curious, since I did not go the route you did, and I don't play Fundy too often (it's been almost 2 years since touching Fundy in a game).

:)

14. texta

texta Chieftain

1. About how many cities did you have?
    When i finished the game i had many many cities. They were only small but all helped.

2. Did you find that your Libraries and Universities assisted much?
    It depends which way you look at it, when your building these improvements to increase a science output of 2 in some cities it seems a waste, but when you have as many cities as me, it was well worth it.

3. Did you build the Science Wonders?
    Yes, i built a couple, but it was towards the end of my game, they were mostly for points.

4. How many turns per advance could you get?
    At the end of my game i was getting them every 4 turns!!!!!, but this isnt a true reflection as the science wonders were built a couple of turns b4 my game ended.

5. What Slider setting did you use, e.g., what % science?
    50% science

6. Did you deliver caravans each turn, or just once in a while?
    I tried to have at least one trade route in all of my cities.

7.N/A
    8. What were some of the "typical" payoffs of caravans that you got?
    Not a lot. I did it for the trade not the money. I think the range was 6 gold hehe to about 75 gold.

9. About how many science advances did you have by 440? Did you reach Railroad?
    I didnt get railroad. From memory i just got navigation and was going for gunpowder.

And i think that people will want to play multiplayer with me because they will want to test whether i am as good as i say.

15. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

I am getting much better results using Caravans for Science than I had in the past, thanks to starlifter's selfless and relentless example. I looked briefly into Power Fundy, didn't think it would work for me.

Have succumbed to the urge to build more libraries, running 50% Science. It is 1340 AD, 75 cities, 13 Libraries (where it would boost 4 into 6 Sci), 12 Aquaduct, 3 Sewer, 35 Tech, pop 15,390,000, now closing on the last two AI Civs.

I hope we get to play Fundy Deity again in August.

16. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

Those stats are pretty close to mine in 1800:eek:

I ran into to problems with conquest as all but The Egyptians had a hard placement for the Capital.

I would like to see a visable map (this is a scenario option) in a future GotM. The maps arent very random anyways. You would get to see the terrain and I believe cities built

17. starlifter

starlifter Chieftain

by texta:
    It sounds like you had a fun game!

#2: I can honestly say that I've never thought to put Universities in small cities before.
    #4: Wow! An advance every 4 turns sounds quite respectable in Fundy. Any idea how much gold it costs each turn to do that (e.g., cost of Libs, Univs, loss of 50% of your resources in science) versus how many net science beakers you get each turn?
    #8: Caravans worth from 6 to 75 gold (and that was with the double trade bonus ;) )... hmmmm.... someone needs to crack that whip on those camels! :D

Good luck with your MP games... would you like to join us in Democracy II? You can follow this link to register. It is a team game that uses players of all abilities... esp. with your skill level, you might enjoy participating in it! We are just discussing the BC4000 starting strategies.

PS, Anyone else who reads this thread is also welcome to the Democracy game!

18. Marlos

Marlos Christian Soldier

Crying out loud this seems like a long game! But it is fun being the merciless Fundy guy! :D

I am at 1867AD, researching electricity. I don't know exactly how many cities I have, but I have just annihilated the French :skull: and am redeploying my troops to take Athens. This, of course, will allow my swarms of diplomats to more cheaply buy the remaining Greek cities :goodjob: , of which there are many.

Egypt is long gone, and Persia is down to one city (Susa) that is in the sticks and just needs the right monetary inducement to be assimilated. :borg:

I have science set at about 30% and am discovering about every 7 turns. I am using the 1000+ per turn of gold to buy NON troops, engineers, etc., and cities! I just do not understand how golum finished in 420AD and texta finished in 440AD. I guess that I am just not ruthless enough. :blush:

I think that I will turn the science back to 50% now that the French are toast :lol: :lol: and crank up the war machine to beat the Greeks and Sioux (although the Sioux never really had a chance with their starting point; neither did the Persians).

19. KingWilly

KingWilly Melbournite

Well, I finally finished. :goodjob: It was my first ever game on Deity level. I think it really helped me that the Govt. was Fundy from the start. I would have really struggled if it was a normal game.:cringe: I do think that playing the GOTMs and reading the tips in these forums have really helped my game though.

From what I've read in the forum, it seems that a couple of gamers finished around 440AD while others finished or will finish around the 1900AD mark. I retired in 2020AD with the AI starting to nuke me. :confused: Is there a way to get the AI on your side, because even though I didn't break any treaties, my reputation was Poor or Atrocious at times?

20. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

I’m in the 1790’s with a Greek city to find & eliminate & two Sioux cities (one a trading target & one is MIA) left besides Persia. Persia is about to discover an increase of attention from 10% (two of its cities have discovered the green light) to 35% (most of my attention is building camels & trying to tell the engineers not develop but build more cities :eek: !).

I put in a crippled SSC (no Colossus) but no other science improvements in the empire -- toggled the science rates frequently -- postponed RR, but am going for it now.

For the first time ever, I’ve put luxuries past the zero point in Fundy (don’t know how well WLTHP works -- if the 30% would better be used as taxes or the upgrade that High Priest Loving can bring).