GotM #18

Originally posted by Marlos
Wow, Power Fundy here I come! Where do I start? I always aim for Monarchy first! Now I have to re-think my whole strategy! :lol:
This could be a chance to be a tech suck, and put low science. Bully, conquer and steal from the AI's for your tech. :rocket3:

for constructive you have lots of choices,
Philosophy
Theology
Calvary tech (wheel etc)
Infantry (Iron W , Gunpowder)

MAPSIZE :eek:

clicking on black squares, highest coordinate I got was 135,119
which would mag this a pretty big map

One problem, neither of these downloads work for me. Both d/l as "attachment.php" and neither open with DropZip or StuffitExpander.
Both d/l as "attachment.php" and neither open with DropZip or StuffitExpander.
At the moment you download, you should choose a name like "civ2_GOTM18.zip" or "gotm18.zip" if you are DL'ing the zip version.

I have just DL'd the game, and now I'll attach it and also provide a web link to it. One or both should work.

:)

Here is GOTM 18 for Narz.

I've just tested the gotm18.zip that you can DL with the "here" link in my prior post. You will be able to use it without php, and renaming will not be an issue.

Hmmm..... Fundy throughout, eh? That is an interesting idea. About a month ago, I posted some stuff on Power Fundamentalism, which is linked here.

In a nutshell, don't forget that trade can be used for both gold and science in Fundamentalism!

:)

ferenginar,
I noticed it wasn't researching anything after a couple turns. Had to make sure there was a little beaker in Kyoto, since then it's been working fine. Having always played Democracy, never Fundy, I find this a pleasant mystery. I did get Pyramids, Colossus, and Trade, and have hope. My largest mistake was not realizing I could Irrigate right from the beginning.

Same observations as Ferenginar but have just seen GaryNemo's reply...how much trade do you need with max science to get a beaker? Ferenginar seems to have played many turns without success.

Meilleur d'etre mangeur que mange

Originally posted by Marechal
how much trade do you need with max science to get a beaker?
trade is listed at http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2scrolls.shtml#Trade
the science beakers are equal to the gold.

I have a question, i remember seeing a fix which will help the movement using the goto find the proper road/rail network?
I used to have it on my disk, but no more
:cry:

You'll have to work a special or build some roads to generate some beakers.Working a grassland in a city will give no beakers.

This is a cool scenerio! I'm at 800BC now, I hope none of you guys have conquered the world by this point! Things are looking pretty good though the science is slow. Going for Sun Tzu's soon, I had to go for Monarchy after all.

Thanks Smash but...played up to 1AD, worked some silk squares (these give one extra trade despite despotism?). 14 trade in Kyoto, 80% science - still no beakers. At this rate I'll have to wait for AI to land and give me republic. As the A does not stand for Altruism this is unlikely. Game already lost. I'll wait for GOTM19.

You are not in despotism.You are in Fundy and you are supposed to stay in Fundy all game.Fundy gets a limit on science.No use using anything above 50% science.

My "SSC" in this game is producing somethimg like 16 beakers :D

Originally posted by Smash
You are not in despotism.You are in Fundy and you are supposed to stay in Fundy all game.Fundy gets a limit on science.No use using anything above 50% science.

My "SSC" in this game is producing somethimg like 16 beakers :D

You mean we're not allowed to set our science rate to 50%? :eek:

oh no you are allowed,it just doesn't do anything beyond 50%

Originally posted by Smash
oh no you are allowed,it just doesn't do anything beyond 50%

Ah, ok. What? Didn't know that. Oh well. The game's been played. :cooool: :yeah:

yeah ok my mistake I am Fundamentalist, I have always been, no switch of governments. Have messed around with the science rate below 50% - still no beakers. Is this a version thing - I am playing 2.62 Conflicts in Civ. Could also try MGE?

Fundamentalism has two totally separate limitations.

1. Generated science is cut in half. This referes to the science that comes city by city each turn (including Einsteins).

2. The maximum science percentage is capped at 50%. If you set 60%, 70% or 80%, the game will only contribute science as if you set 50%.... BUT GUESS WHAT.... that 10%, 20%, or 30% is simply transferred to taxes!

In Fundamentalism, you should never ever ever set the Science slider to above 50%. Instead of 20T-80S-0L, set 50T-50S-0L instead! Just to restate.... if you set the science slider above 50%, all that extra science will be transferred with no warning whatsoever.... you are NOT getting 60%, 70%, or 80% science.... even though the slider "says" you are (look at your trade advisor to convince yourself!).

Note: this applies only to science... you can still set Tax and Lux above 50% and get normal credit :).

This is a confusing issue because the 50% Slider cap was introduced in version 1.07.... hence, the manuals and guides are incorrect, and thus misleading. The "halving" of science is often confused with the 50% cap, too. People new to Fundy should feel free to post more questions if they are still unclear :).

EDIT: Originally, I said #2 was truncated. That is incorrect. The extra science is transferred to taxes instead.

That sucks (that science levels above 50% get "truncated")!! I did not know this, I just thought all science gets cut in half! I never raised the science level too high but I may have had it at 60% for a few turns, bummer. Thanks for letting us know this StarLifter.

I thought something was wierd with the science. Thank you all for clarifying that -- I have played up to 200 AD with the science at a very high percent - guess I wasted a lot of $gold. Oh well, this is easy and fun, sure enough. Working the Caravans to get science is marvelous, maybe I'll graduate to 0% science soon. The map is huge though, eh?

80 AD, Greeks & Sioux start Great Wall. PHILOSOPHY, choose Warrior Code, then choose Monotheism over Construction, Monarchy, Astronomy, Medicine, Iron, Wheel, University, Banking. I'm hoping Michelangelo will generate $much tithes, and Crusaders will be like fast Catapults. Elephant explorer Hut: $50.
2100,000 in 19 c, $72 -1, Sci 35/12, Mfg=90 FS=5.4, 19 tech.

Top Bottom