GOTM 37 First Spoiler: End of Ancient Age

WetSawdustDemon said:
@Randy, Yep Alan’s got it, I took about six screenshots of the game zoomed out (zoomed in would have taken many more), and cut and pasted them together to make the big picture, using Paintshop. I had to resize it down so that it would fit on one screen, which looses a bit of detail, but I still have the original in .bmp form, only problem is its 10MB.

It looks really cool. :goodjob: I'll try it sometime.

Open PtW latest patch.

Goal: To win any way I can. This is my first diety game.

4000 BC: Salamanca founded. Worker goes to cow to irrigate and road. Scout will head south. Building a scout. Science set to 20% studying “The Wheel”.
3750 BC: Got 2nd scout he will head E. Start settler. Scout 1 goes S and meets a French warrior. No tech deal made.
3700 BC: Trade “Ceremonial Burial”, “Pottery”, and 22gp to France for “Masonry”. Set lux to 20%. I lost two shield by having the governor on. (That won’t happen again!)
3600 BC: Scout 1 goes 2 W and sees a gray boarded. Scout 2 goes SE and finds a chock point this is where my next city will go. Worker goes to game to chop, irrigate, and road.
3550 BC: Scout 1 goes W and meets India. We trade “Masonry” to India for “Alphabet” and 10gp
3400 BC: Got first settler. Start granary. He will head to the first hill of the chock point.
3300 BC: Scout 1 goes 2 N and meets Carthage
3250 BC: We give “Pottery” to Carthage for “Bronze Working” and 10gp
3200 BC: Niagara Falls founded, starts warrior. Scout 2 goes SE and meets Persia. We give Persia “Alphabet” for “Warrior Code” and 35gp.
3150 BC: Scout goes 1 N and meets Arabia.
3100 BC: Buy “The Wheel” from Persia for “Ceremonial Burial”, “Pottery”, and 39gp. Sell France “Warrior Code” for 57gp. Study “Mathematics”.
Sell “Masonry” to Arabia for 10gp.
2710 BC: This is the end of my 1st setting I’ve been playing 7 hours +.
2670 BC: Salamanca gets a granary. Start settler. Buy “Mysticism” from Arabia for “The Wheel”, “Alphabet”, and 37gp. Worker goes to fur to chop, irrigate, and road. Scout 1 waits. Scout 2 goes NE. Sell “Pottery” to Rome for 25gp. Sell “The Wheel” to France for 50gp. Sell “Mysticism” to Persia for 84gp.
2630 BC: Persia got iron and horseback in one turn. We buy “Horseback Riding” for 304gp.
2590 BC: Scout 2 meets Germany and sells “Masonry” for 75gp. We now know every one so scouts will try to find huts and map the land. After all land is mapped scouts will go home if alive.
2550 BC: France gives “Iron Working” for “Mysticism”.
2470 BC: Got settler from Salamanca. Start settler.
2430 BC: Buy 2 slaves from Carthage for “Iron Working” and “The Wheel”. Sell “Iron Working” to Arabia for 56gp.
2350 BC: Grand River founded by iron mountain west of Salamanca.
2310 BC: Sell “Mysticism” to Rome for 25gp. Sell “Horseback Riding” to France for 25gp. Quit for the night.
2270 BC: Got settler. . Sell “Mysticism” to Germany for 25gp.
2230 BC: Our fur is hooked up. Sell “Horseback Riding” to Arabia for 31gp..
2150 BC: Trade “Mysticism” and “Horseback Riding” to Carthage for “Writing”. Sell “Mysticism” to India for 33gp.
2110 BC: got a barb village.
2070 BC: Allegheny founded.
2030 BC: Horses hooked up to one city.
1950 BC: Cattaraugus founded on wines. Grand River builds worker.
1870 BC: Built an embassy with everyone.
1750 BC: Oil Springs founded.
1700 BC: Allegheny builds worker.
1675 BC: France gives “Mathematic” +31gp for contact with Rome. Persia gives “Map Making” +96gp for “Mathematic”. Rome gives 140gp for “Mathematic”. Carthage gives world map +50gp for “Mathematic”. France gives world map and 60gp for contact with Germany. Persia give world map and 267gp for contact with all. India gives world map and 26gp for contact with Germany. Germany gives world map and 10gp for contact with Carthage. We got “Philosophy” from a goody hut. Tonawanda founded.
1625 BC: Persia builds The Pyramids. Germany builds The Oracle. We trade Persia “Philosophy”, world map, and 260gp for “Code of Laws”.
1600 BC: Persia builds The Colossus.
1575 BC: Arabs demand “Philosophy” we play for now but they will die for this. Those dumb a**e* gave it to everyone for nothing!
1525 BC: Wine is hooked up to 3 cities. Sell Rome “Code of Laws” for world map and 36gp.
1500 BC: We got our first temple in Grand River. Mauch Chunk founded.
1400 BC: We got a barb hut +25gp.
1375 BC: St. Regis founded. Oil Springs builds temple.
1275 BC: We trade world map and 299gp to Carthage for “Polytheism”. We trade France “Polytheism”, world map, and 69gp for “Currency”.
1250 BC: Arabs have “Construction”. It will cost 3 techs, 511gp, and world map. So we do the deal and enter the MA. We sell it to Carthage for 267gp and world map.

AA Stats:

10 towns.
22 populations.
1 settler.
6 workers.
2 slaves.
7 warriors.
4 Mounted Warriors.
1 granary.
2 temples.

Score:

Persia 556
France 534
Germany 523
Arabia 482
India 443
Carthage 419
Rome 414
Iroquois 358

We declare war on Germany. We get Persia and Rome to help. This should keep the East out of my hair for a little bit. Persia paid 201 for “Construction” + alliance with Germany. Germany paid 7 for “Construction” + alliance with Germany. We sell “Construction” to France for 78GP.

QSC Stats:

13 towns.
33 populations.
1 settler.
6 workers.
2 slaves.
7 warriors.
1 spearman.
1 swordsman.
8 Mounted Warriors.
1 granary.
2 temples.

1214gp and 36gpt

Score:

Persia 643
Germany 614
France 610
Arabia 557
India 516
Carthage 504
Rome 485
Iroquois 449

QSC Score from CRpMapStat: 7186

Edit: Wow I'm the 42nd post, and I didn't plan it!

Randy said:
Open PtW latest patch.
Goal: To win any way I can. This is my first diety game.

Wish you the best luck. This was my first Deity game too. I think you stand a very good chance as I had similar QSC rating as you and I am a couple of turns from winning if I choose Domination.

GOTM37_Open

*** Ancient Times ***

4000 BC - Worker1 W to Cattle. Scout1 W, S, looking for another food bonus in range of the Game, to be used by our second city, as we are planning to share the food from the Game between our capital and our second city. He doesn't find any, but he does spot another river further S. Salamanca founded, unveiling a second source of Fur. Salamanca starts Scout (5 turns, working the Cattle). Scientists start researching Mysticism at minimum rate (40 turns).

3950 BC - Scout1 S, S, and spots a wheat that is one tile too far away to be able to be worked by a town that is also working the Game. Worker1 is irrigating.

3900 BC - Scout1 S, S, reaching a desert and floodplains.

3850 BC - Scout1 S, S, finding Incense!

3800 BC - Scout1 S, S, finds Wheat on a floodplain.

3750 BC - We meet France. They have Masonry and Alphabet, but won't trade either of them for Pottery, Ceremonial Burial and all our 20 Gold. Salamanca completes Scout2, starts Worker. Scout2 N, NW to hilltop, sees another river. Scout1 turns W, W. Worker1 completes irrigation, starts road.

3700 BC - Scout1 W, SW, to a salt-water coast. Scout2, N, E, sees Wines and another salt-water coast. We are now planning a distance 4 RCP around Salamanca.

3650 BC - Scout1 N, W. Scout2 NE, N, sees another Wine and Cattle! This is a potential Worker factory location, but that would mess up the RCP. A distance 5 RCP and a Temple for cultural expansion would do the trick, but that would leave some nice tiles unworked for ages and would not allow for sharing the food from the Game. Building a tighter RCP and placing this city outside it, would surely give too much corruption to get the Worker factory going. Tricky...

3600 BC - Salamanca completes Worker2, starts Granary. Worker2 S to Game. Worker1 completes road, and also moves to Game. Scout 1 W, W, sees a Grey border - Indians? Scout2 N, W.

3550 BC - Both Workers start chopping Forest at Game. Scout1 SW, W, meeting the Indians, who have Alphabet. Scout2 NE, making sure that he is in fact on a peninsula, then he goes W. We give the French Ceremonial Burial, Pottery and 22 Gold for Masonry. Then we give the Indians Masonry for Alphabet and 10 Gold. I feel smart. :)

3500 BC - Border-expansion unveils nothing but Jungle. Scout1 SW, SW, hut! Scout2 SW, SW, another Cattle! We give India Pottery and 4 Gold for a slave Worker, nice! Slave1 moves N to BG.

3450 BC - Scout1 SW to hut only to find it's empty. :( He continues NW. Scout2 S, SW, meeting a Carthaginian Warrior. They are actually backwards compared to us! Slave starts road, saving one Worker turn each for the other two Workers who will use this road in 8 turns.

3400 BC - Scout1 NW, NW. Scout2 W, W.

3350 BC - Scout1 N, N. Scout 2 W, NW, reaching Carthage. We give Carthage Potter and Ceremonial Burial for 10 Gold and Bronze Working.

3300 BC - Scout2 NW, W, popping a hut and getting Warrior Code. He also meets an Arab Warrior, but the Arabians turn out to be three techs behind us. Scout1 E, N. We give Warrior Code to India for 4 Gold and another Slave. Slave2 moves N, joining up with Slave1 at the BG. Workers complete forest-chopping, start irrigation.

3250 BC - Scout1 NW, N. Scout2 N, N, spots Incense.

3200 BC - The Carthaginian Warrior is fighting Barbarians just north of Salamanca! Scout1 NW, W. Scout2 N. our Workers have completed irrigation of Game.

At this point I stop recording unit-movements.

3000 BC - with the Granary complete in one turn, I make a decition on city placement. I will go for a multi-RCP. I will build an inner ring at distance 4 (yellow dots in the screenshot below). Outside this, will be a middle ring at distance 6 (blue dots). Finally, if I can claim the land in time (hardly likely, but I'll try) I am planning an outer ring at distance 9 (red). The main reason that I am going for a distace 4 inner ring rather than a distance 5 dito, is that in the latter case there would be no town in range with which Salamanca could share the Game (or the Cattle for that matter). I'm planning for Salamanca to become a 4-turn 4.6-6.6 Warrior+Settler factory, only using the Game every other turn, and maybe later a 5-turn 4.6-6.6 Chariot+Settler factory, only using the Game once every 5 turns. The reason that I am going for a distance 6 outer ring is mainly because the town 4N of Salamanca could then become a 2-turn Worker factory (as long as corruption is not too terrible out there) using both the Cattle tiles.

2950 BC - Granary completed, Scout started (2 turns).

2850 BC - Scout3 completed, Settler started (will be helped by the chopping of one of the Fur-forest to be completed in 4 turns).

2750 BC - Scout3 finds the E coast, like my fog-gazing suggested. He also finds a Barb camp. Looks like he will have to sneak past the camp and then walk through France to find the other half of this Pangaea world. But he will first check out the NE peninsula, to see if it is in fact a land bridge to the other side of the world.

2710 BC - First Settler completed. Next one will be ready in 4 turns.

2670 BC - The French were nice enough to kill the Barbarians SE of Salamanca, but now one of their Warriors is blocking the tile on which our Settler wants to found our second town!

2590 BC - Niagra Falls founded in the inner ring S, S, SE of Salamanca. We gie the Arabs Alphabet for Mysticism and start researching Polytheism at minimum rate. Scout3 finds that what we thought might be a peninsula in the NE is in fact a bridge to the other side of the continent!

2510 BC - A Barbarian crawls out of the fog N of Salamanca. We switch production from Settler to Archer, losing us three turns of production.

2470 BC - History repeats itself: The Arabs come in and kill the Barbarians (so we can switch back to Settler in Salamanca), but then manage to block our Settler. The Arabs are annoyed with us, and have four Warriors very close to our undefended capital. We treat them with a gift of 10 Gold, turning them into Cautious.

2390 BC - Grand River founded in the inner ring, NW, NW, NW, N of Salamanca.

2270 BC - Allegheny founded as part of the inner ring, W, W, NW of Salamanca. The brave Scout3 has managed to pass through the Barbarian-infested jungle, and makes contact with Rome! We give Rome Ceremonial Burial, Pottery, Masonry and Mysticism, for Iron Working and 85 Gold. Then we give Iron Working to France for Writing and 76 Gold and to Arabia for The Wheel and 15 Gold. Once again "we are technologically advanced!" More good news: We have Iron next to Allegheny and Horses on the land-bridge E, E, E of our capital. The bad news is that a Carthaginian town has claimed the Horses SW of Salamanca, which also disrupts our inner Ring and makes Allegheny in risk of flipping. We start a Temple in Allegheny, to reduce this risk. Maybe we can even get really lucy and have the town flip to us. Our newly created Settler sets off NW, dashing to claim the third Horse along the N coast.

2190 BC - Scout3 makes contact with the Persians. We also buy contact with Germany from Rome, so now we have contact with all rival civs. Persia are on par with Rome in science, but clearly superior in score and power, as the world leaders in both. Germany is backwards in science and have a mediocre score.

2150 BC - Barbarians kill some of our people in Niagra Falls. We give Writing to Rome for Horseback Riding and 127 Gold.

2030 BC - Carthage demands contact with the Persians. We of course give. There goes our scientific advantage... Salamanca completes Barracks for the Warrior+Settler factory.

At 1990 BC we have 4 towns, 11 pop. 1 Settler, 2 native Workers, 2 slave Workers, 3 Warriors, 3 Scout. 1 Granary, 1 Barracks.

1950 BC - Cattaraugus founded by the Horses in the outer "ring" 9 NW of Salamanca.

1910 BC - Salamanca completes Settler and starts its first 1-turn Warrior. Our glorious capital is now a proper 4-turn 4.6-6.6 Warrior+Settler factory.

1700 BC - Oil Springs founded in the inner ring by the Horses E, E, SE of Salamanca.

1675 BC - Tonawanda founded in the outer "ring" 6 SW, 2 S of Salamanca, next to the Iron.

1650 BC - Over the past few turns we have lost several Warriors to Barbarians in the north. We can't afford this, we need to do something NOW! To this end, Salamanca disrupts it's Settler factory for a 2-turn Spearman. Susa (Persia) completes The Colossus.

1600 BC - Orleans (France) completes The Oracle.

1550 BC - Mauch Chunk founded by the Wines in the inner ring, 4 NE or Salamanca.

1625 BC - Carthage completes Pyramids! More and more, it looks like Carthage will have to be the target for our Mounted Warriors. If only they didn't have that killer UU!

1425 BC - Iron connected. St. Regis founded in the middle (distance 6) "ring", 4 N of our capital.

1375 BC - Horses connected.

1350 BC - Wines conected.

1275 BC - We discover Polytheism, and trade it along with 25 Gold to the Romans, for... Code of Laws, Map Making, Mathematics and Philosophy! Then we give Polytheism to Germany for 179 Gold and their Territory map, and then to Persia for 118 Gold and their Territory map. This leaves us with 851 Gold in the coffin and once again "technologically advanced". We are now researching Literature at 100% (12 turns). Centralia, despite it's name, founded in the outer distance 9 "ring", 3 NE of St. Regis.

1225 BC - We buy a Slave from France for 104 Gold.

1200 BC - Akwesasne founded in the outer distance 9 "ring", E, SE, SE of Tonawanda, trying to culturally steal incense from the French.

1100 BC - Tyendenaga founded in the middle "ring", 2 W of Grand River. Kahnawake founded in the outer "ring", NW, NW, N of St. Regis.

1075 BC - "Stolen" incense connected!

1025 BC - Caughnawaga founded in the middle "ring", 4 S of Salamanca. Yes, it's crowded, but I think it will be alright.

1000 BC - Oka founded on the land bridge to Rome, as part of the middle "ring", mainly acting as a defensive outpost. We discover Literature, which we give to India along with 10 GPT and 438 Gold, for The Republic. We also give Literature to France along with Furs for Silks. We then give The Republic to Rome and Germany, for Currency, Construction, 40 Gold, both their World Maps and a Slave, and THIS LAUNCHES US INTO THE MIDDLE AGES! We instigate a revolution of course.

QSC stats:

15 Towns
30 Pop

13 native Workers
5 slave Workers
3 Swordsmen
2 Mounted Warriors
1 Spearman
1 Warrior
1 Galley
1 Scout

5 Barracks
5 Temples
1 Granary

3 Horses in our lands, two of them connected. 2 Irons, both connected.
2 Furs, 1 Wine, 1 Incense, all connected. Trading for Spices.

All ancient age techs except Monarchy.

Anarchy
All contacts
56 Gold

Score in game: 456 (6th). 4th place in the game in power and in culture. Tech parity (Persia have Monarchy and Engineering; Germany have Feudalism; Rome, Germany and Arabia do not have The Republic).

This is the earliest MA date ever for me! :D

(In the picture below, the yellow, blue and red dots correspond to the three different "rings" I have used - see 3000 BC screenshot.)

-- Roland

I had a pretty good start - I managed to make it to the Middle Ages (all contacts and techs except Republic and Monarchy) by 1000 BC. I had to trade then - I could see AI galleys heading up to contact each other.

Decided on a city spacing of 6 - I'm not at all practised at this ring city idea but it worked OK. Missed out on the Dyes but still have a few cities.

Here's the point where it started to unravel - I forget that a distance of 6 gives four more cities diagnonally (4 diagonal spaces). Well, only three on this map because of the mountain to the SW - but I still forgot to build those cities until after this period.

In fact, reaching the Middle Ages was really the high point of my game - after that I made a lot of dumb mistakes that slowed me down.

Still enjoying it though!

EDIT: Settled the start square because the worker and scout failed to find any ocean on their first moves.

Open [civ3mac] 1.29b2

Start:

As it's Deity, I decided to revert to Open class this month. A good start is obviously critical, so the first few moves were taken very slowly!

Scout #1 went north and found furs, then north west to the hill, and saw BG and another river.
There was no reason to move settler #1, so we built Salamana on the starting tile and the worker went west to irrigate the cattle. Started minimum research on Wheel as Japan isn't in the game, and started building a scout.

Salamanca builds:
3750 BC - scout #2
3600 BC - scout #3
3050 BC - granary
2950 BC - warrior #1
2850 BC - worker #2
2630 BC - settler #2
2470 BC - settler #3
2350 BC - settler #4
... then a settler every 4 turns.

Cities:
First ring at rcp radius 4.x, disrupted by NW mountains and Carthage :(
Some second rank cities built at 7 and 8 - not rcp.
4000 BC - Salamanca
2510 BC - Niagara Falls
2350 BC - Grand River
2190 BC - Allegheny
2030 BC - Cattaraugus
1870 BC - Oil Springs
1725 BC - Tonawanda
1625 BC - Maunch Chunk
1475 BC - St Regis
1375 BC - Centralia
1300 BC - Akwesasne
1200 BC - Tyendenaga
1125 BC - Kahnawake

Scouting:

The first scout explored the northern area, finding wines and two more cattle, then headed west.

The second scout was built in 3750 BC and headed south and then east, found the land bridge to the east and explored some of the eastern subcontinent before being killed by barbs popped from a hut by the AI.

It was clear that there was enough land to warrant another scout so a third one was built in 3600 BC and went south west. By 2110 BC they had lit up quite a lot of territory, and this proved very helpful in maintaining tech parity through the Ancient Age.

When we had the world map in 1525 BC the two remaining scouts returned home and were disbanded.

Contacts:

3550 BC - neoCarthage - scout #3
3300 BC - Arabs - scout #1
3300 BC - France - scout #3
3150 BC - India - scout #3
3000 BC - Rome - scout #2
2630 BC - Germany - scout #2
2390 BC - Persia - bought during the Great Writing Trade Round.

Trading and research:

4000 BC. We start with Ceremonial Burial and Pottery. Start researching Wheel at minimum.

3300 BC. First trading round when we met the Arabs and France.
Bought Alphabet from France for Burial + 2gpt + 35.
Bought Masonry from Arabs for Alphabet + 2

3150 BC. India offers Bronze for Masonry between turns. A misclick and the deal is done!

3000 BC. Meet Rome and sell Burial for Warrior Code + 25.

2630 BC. Sell Alphabet to Germany for Wheel + 33.

Self-research is now irrelevant. Started researching Writing at 10%

2550 BC. Scout #3 pops Mysticism from a hut.

2470 BC. Sell Mysticism to Germany for Iron Working + 22.

2430 BC. Sell Iron Working to Arabs for 114 gold

2390 BC. India has Writing. The Great Writing Trade Round.
Buy Writing from India for Iron Working + Mysticism + Rome + 31.
Then clean out the AI treasuries ...
Sell France to Germany for Persia + 54.
Sell Persia to the Arabs for 102.
Sell India and the Arabs to Germany for 71.
Sell Rome and Persia to Carthage for 60.
Sell Persia to France for 37.
Sell Persia to India for 25.
Buyy HBR from Persia for Alphabet + Mysticism + 16.
Give away remaining contacts to leave all civs polite.

Started Literature at 10%

1790 BC. India now has Mapmaking. Philosophy, Polytheism and Mathematics are also at large.
Buy Polytheism from India for 249 + WM. My notes went bad at this point, but I also obtained Mapmaking and Mathematics in this round. My well developed map was worth quite a lot in thse negotiations, I recall.

1525 BC CoL is widespread along with Literature.
Buy CoL from India for 219 + WM.
Buy Literature from Persia for CoL + WM.
Sell WM to Arabs for WM + 15
Sell Literature to France for WM + 93
Sell Literature to India for WM + 112

Started Currency at 10%

1475 BC. Arabs extort Literature.

1350 BC. Buy Construction from France for 298 + 10 gpt.
Sell Construction to India for 155 + WM.
Sell Construction to Rome for 86 + WM.
Sell Literature to Carthage for WM + worker + 11.

1325 BC. Persia extorts TM + 47.

1150 BC. Germany demands TM + 51. As it's been far too peaceful for far too long and he's as far away as anyone can be, I decline and he declares war. Dogpile time ...
Buy MA with Rome for 250 + WM
Buy MA with Carthage for Construction + CoL + WM = 19.
Buy MA with France for 214 + WM.
Can't afford an MA with Persia, unfortunately.
Arabs and Rome then signed an MA against Germany.

1075 BC. India and Germany sign an MA against France and India wants to swap TMs.

1050 BC. Buy Currency from Carthage for 2 gpt + 180 + WM.
Buy Monarchy from France for Currency + 13 gpt + 3 + WM to reach the Middle Ages. Revolt

1025 BC. Rome and France sign MA against India.

Before 1000 BC we are a Monarchy in the Middle Ages, and the world is at war.

QSC stats:

13 cities, 30 citizens, 1 settler.
12 workers, 2 slaves, 8 warriors, 3 mounted warriors.
4 barracks, 2 temples, 1 granary.
Embassies with all civs.
We are at war with Germany but haven't seen a German unit yet.

Here's the world as we know it at 1000 BC:

Open PTW 1.27f

This is my first posted game on these forums. I've played Civ3 PTW quite a few times. I usually win on Emperor, sometimes on Deity.

I didn't write down timelines, so I'll just briefly explain what has happened ingame so far.

I settled in place and built an early scout, then a worker. Switched to granary after the worker and chopped the fur&game simultaneously. I got in touch with France first and traded alphabet from them.

I lost one scout to barbs, but the other one found Niagra Falls in a goody hut! :goodjob: The spot wasn't the best since it was far away (look at the map), but it stole some land from the Carthagians.

I made a 5-5.5 ring placement and an outer 8-8.5 one. It might not have been the optimal choice, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Most of the time I have had a 4-turn warrior-settler factory up an running.

I have not been warring at all yet, and the only conflicts so far have been the Romans vs. Germany (I think) and now a MA between the Persians and France against the Romans. I plan on attacking either the French or the Carthagians. The Carthagians have the GL and from a strategical point of view they are in my way. I'm a bit worried about the Arabs since they have been walking all over my lands (together with the French) in search of Barbs.

All the time my tech has been on the lowest, and I have played catch-up on expensive trades (lots of gpt from me to France and others).

The last of them took me to MA in 1150BC. Only the Persians have any government (monarchy) and Germany got engineering.

My overall strategy so far has been to hog land without offending anyone. Soon that strategy will shift to a more offensive one. :D

Attachments

• medival.JPG
    medival.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 281
I'm not sure that this thread is the right place for the following question, but: is it allowable to build units for the sole purpose of disbanding them elsewhere for the shields?

I wanted to complement ainwood on the map, and agree with what someone else (dmanahko?) said about it being the best GOTM I've played. That doesn't mean much though, since GOTM33 was my first and I didn't play the last two beyond the first 40 turns or so. I played this one further and even qualify for the spoiler and was humming along, but don't think I'll be able to finish. Anyway, very nice map.

Yes, this is a GOTM Royale.

Welcome, Rajaat! Nice to see someone else getting that bonus town too. I rushed a temple in "my" Niagara Falls and at the end of the QSC period it was actually on the list of the 5 strongest cultural centres in the world!

I should think you're a bit worried about that colony of incense :confused:, as it is about half a block from Mecca. But if this game teaches us anything it's that the AI considers the size of a civ as a deterrent. I think that's why my opponents picked on Rome for the entire ancient age - Rome was the smallest. I wonder if ainwood put Rome in a weak starting position so that they would be swallowed up by the giants to the east, making them even bigger. I'm sure there is a reason why they are scientific too.

:cry: My scout walked straight past to the south of that hut, as you can see from my screenshot of my scouting movements.

Yes, this is a fine gotm.

How about a Sid game made easy next time ainwood? Then all of us who haven't beaten sid yet can at least say we did beat the game on the hardest setting :).

I'd say make it archipellago with the dutch on a very green island about 120 tiles big, no neighbour, 2 food boni right on rivers for the first 2 cities, 3 luxes on the island and of course both Iron and Horses.
Make the AI nicely seperated in pairs of 2 on islands less fertile. :D

I'd prefer another Deity without nearby food bonuses, so people can say they've won a "real" deity game.

Megalou said:
I'd prefer another Deity without nearby food bonuses, so people can say they've won a "real" deity game.
You can still get nearby food bonuses in 'real' games as well. Slightly OT, but I generate a number of base maps until I get one that is similar to what I have in find for the final one, then modify it slightly.

I actually got some maps with 10's of bonuses near the starting location (think I might have even taken a screenshot somewhere). For this map all I actually did in terms of resource locations was move a couple, not add them wholesale!

[PTW] 1.27f - Open Class

Ancient Age

Goal: - Win on Deity any way I can, if I can :)

I settled in place. Build order: scout, scout, granary, warrior, settler. The second scout was to be a worker but I traded CB & pottery to Carthage for 2 workers the turn before completion so I switched to scout. I built the warrior before settler because of barb encroachment. I popped my only GH in 3000 BC for a settler. I decided to walk it homeward but ended up settling next to two spice along a river.

My trading was enough to keep up. I got iron working in time to settle next to it in the west. I was able to get the cow on the coast to the west and block the peninsula for later settlement. I also grabbed the chokepoint.

Contacts:
3600 BC - Carthage
3500 BC - France
3150 BC - India
2710 BC - Rome
2670 BC - Arabia
2630 BC - Germany
2430 BC - Persia

IBT 1375 BC, Rome demanded map and gold. Foolishly, I decided they were far enough away and had potential for stirring things up in the east. I didn’t have any embassies and once I established one with Persia, I couldn’t bribe them. Next turn Germany joins Rome. Both were far east, no problem, I thought. IBT 1250 BC Carthage joins Rome. Uh oh. Establish embassies with France and then India. France was no go. India wanted 21gpt. IBT, India and France join up against me. :mad: At this point, I am at war with 5 Civs in a Deity game.

I immediately lose my two newest cities to Carthage and France. Both auto-razed. I started pop-rushing Swordsmen wherever I can. I am fending off a steady stream of warriors, archers and spearmen from Carthage and France with an occasional India unit. In the west, Rome and Germany finally show up with warriors and Archers. There I pop-rush 3 spearman, getting Niagara Falls down to one pop. Below is the situation as of 1000 BC.

QSC Stats:
11 Cities (net, lost 2 razed, got 1 extra from GH)
26 Pop (many pop-rushed units)
10 Workers (2 slaves)
4 Warriors
8 Swordsman (down from 12)
1 Granary
4 Barracks
Techs: everything but Math, CoL, Currency, Construction and govs

IBT 1000 BC, I got peace from Carthage paying them 4gpt tribute. IBT 775 BC, Arabia DoW. Made peace with India in 710 BC paying them 2gpt tribute. Roman had auto-razed Niagara Falls and had been throwing archers (3-4) on my chokepoint Spearman without success, but with the approach of the first Legion, I made peace in 650 BC and paid 5gpt in tribute. While I had gotten peace with Carthage, India, and Rome, France was sending a mixture of horsemen and archers my way. Most of the horsemen survived only to retreat and return several times. As my production began to exceed my loses, I was able to launch swordsman offensives both at their coastal city in the west and their closest city in the south. I razed both of them eventually. In 430 BC, an Arab Med. Inf. showed up to the west, I made peace with them paying 5gpt tribute. This allowed me to finish my attack on the French city there without interference. (The Arabs total offense was one spearman landed in my rear which I was able to block and then destroy.) IBT, India re-declared war. In 390BC, I got a very favorable peace with France for Math and with some gold and my map I got her to throw in CoL.

I had enough surplus production that I was able to build settlers to re-settle the two razed cites to the south (mine and France's) and one to the west (mine). I had a fourth settler in motion but France beat me and Carthage to re-establish their city next to the original one on the coast. After destroying India’s invaders in the west, I made peace and was surprised to get Currency and Construction for only a little additional gold and 3gpt in 210BC. I paid tribute of 2 gpt to get peace from Germany the same turn. I was finally at peace with everyone again.

In 150 BC, I researched Monarchy and switched to it immediately via the dialog.

Stats at beginning of MA -
13 Cities
50 Pop
1 Settler
14 Workers (5 Slaves)
22 Swordsmen
1 Spearman
2 Mounted Warriors
1 Granary
9 Barracks
2 Temples
2 Walls

As the MA begins, I am way behind in tech, but I am preparing to attack Carthage to get the Dyes (W) and Wheat cities (S). They are the smallest and are the most backward Civ. I hope to grab those cities and extort some more tech before moving on to do the same with France.

As I write this, I am at 70 BC and have built up 8 MW, with most of my cities producing more. I have my GA ahead of me. I will probably lose before I get to the IA but I might be able grab a big enough chunk of the west while I hold the chokepoint to survive that long.

ainwood said:
For this map all I actually did in terms of resource locations was move a couple, not add them wholesale!
Sorry, my comment was out of place, morally and factually. It's a great map.

AlanH said:
:cry: My scout walked straight past to the south of that hut, as you can see from my screenshot of my scouting movements.
I'm sure this is much less important than for example "Which AI built the Great Library? France or... doh!...Persia?" So for Pete's sake don't no one take this GOTM as fuel for another goody hut discussion, or you'll hear my sighs from New Zeeland to California. :sad:

Yes, and lets not talk about Persia building wonders like the Great Library or the Pyramids either. I would rather move on to being angry about other things in life. And if you heard an anguished :aargh: a couple of days ago, that was me.

Whats happening bradley ?

No, this game i am not complaining. With a settler factory, the effect of a free settler is much smaller (although still significant) and i only saw one settler and 2 not so well placed free towns yet, all of wich didn't seem to have much impact. (as opposed to that other recent game :D :mischief: )

Anyway, in my game both the granary and GL are in Persia in my game. It could be a huge factor, but not if you are planning to win in the early middle ages i think :p

Top Bottom