GOTM 37 First Spoiler: End of Ancient Age

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
GOTM 37: Spoiler 1:

This is the first spoiler for GOTM 37: Iroquois.

To qualify for this spoiler, you must have all contacts (7), and know the location of each civilization (have a map of at least a couple of their core cities).

How did you plan your game? What were your early objectives? Did you plan to make use of your mounted warriors for expansion, or plan merely to stay alive?

PTW 1.27f - Open

I am amazed to be alive, and to be doing so well at my first Diety level game! Woo-hoo! :)

My ancient age went very fast, so there wasn't time for much interesting to happen. So let me just post an overview of my opening moves and QSC stats. My Middle Age has been much more interesting, so I'll post something more detailed in that spoiler.

4000bc -- scout w,s, worker to cow, build Salamanca, start scout, tell governor to maximize production but not manage citizen moods, move citizen to work cow, set research to 0% on bronze working

3950bc -- worker irrigates, scout 2 south to mountain

3750bc -- finish scout, begin building second worker

It looks like a 3,3.5 inner ring will be nice, with 4 cities on rivers. One city 3 tiles sw of Salamanca wil be able to share the game, so I will be irrigating it instead of mining it.

3700bc -- Salamanca grows to 2 citizens. Meet warrior from India: Ghandi won't sell me Alphabet for all my 28g and pottery, but he has three workers for sale! I can't quite afford 2, but I buy 1 worker for pottery+4g. Seems worth it to me, so I switch worker build to a granary!

It looks like I'm going to have plenty of room to expand in the NE direction, so I will need to try to send units west first.

3250bc -- finish chop on game, granary in 1 turn thanks to careful micromanagament, growth in 2 turns. Begin irrigating with both workers.

3200bc -- finish granary, begin 1st settler.

2950bc -- Settler completed. Send him toward tile 3 SW of Salamanca. Not quite ready for a settler factory yet, so I'll build another worker next. Begin mining the BG.

2900bc -- Meet France -- three warriors coming near my capital! Buy warrior code+7g for pottery+ceremonial burial. Switch worker build to a warrior.

2670bc -- Finally found Niagara Falls after waiting for french warriors to disperse. Begin warrior. Salamance builds second settler. I think the factory is ready to go.

1075bc -- Enter Middle Ages by trading Construction to Arabia for Currency+1g

1000bc -- QSC stats: 17 cities, 1 settler, 13 workers, 1 Indian worker, 1 scout, 10 warriors, 1 spearman, 5 mounted warriors, 4 barracks, 1 granary, 4 temples (all whipped), several more on the way,

Only Persia is of a comparable size with 14 cities, all other have 8-10 cities. I have the low score of 446 (Rome has 449, Persia is at the top with 710). My Power curve looks like I'm making gains. Culturally, I'm pretty close to Rome, Arabia and India -- the cities that have not built any wonders yet. France built the Great Library in Paris. That will be mine eventually!

I lost a scout and about 40g to barbs after the uprising, but otherwise they weren't a big problem.

I bought all technology in the ancient age except for Monarchy which I researched myself.

My plan at this stage was to complete my expansion quickly and to begin producing a force of mounted warriors for what I planned to be oscillating war between France and Carthage for a bunch of turns. But things in the Middle ages worked out a bit differently than I expected - some better, some worse. More on that later.

Ainwood: Thanks for a very playable map! :)

I don't have a turn by turn report, but basically:

I started by building two scouts. I did not know that there was land the the east, so I sent all of them westwards. I went with a settler's gambit mostly, only building token warriors for MP duty. Trading and contacts kept me in the tech race. I knew if an AI attacked me, I would be dead, so I kept them happy by paying with gpt. The AI beat me to some of the last city spots though... :(

This was what my empire was at the end of the expansion phase, ready to hit France:

I don't remember when I hit the MA, but it was sometime between 900BC and 750BC, via a straight purchase from Carthage.

[ptw] Open class

Ainwood,
This game is your masterpiece!!! This is by far the best and most enjoyable GOTM since I’ve started playing them 6 months ago.

My starting builds were:
Scout
Warrior
Warrior
Settler
Granary

I met Carphage in 3600BC and they had 3 workers for sale… So instead of buying techs I sold them all my techs in exchange for those workers…

That really helped me a lot and I think slowed down Carthage grow since they became the weakest civilization by the end of AAs.

By the year of 2430 I knew all the civs on our part of continent, had 2 cities and had my settler farm working.

I’ve created almost perfect RCP4 ring, but Carthage beat me to the north-west cow location.

Met Persians in around 1900BC and in around 1675BC bought communication with Germans and Rome from Persians.

I missed statistics for 1000BC, but managed to get an auto-save from 975BC just one turn later. 1000BC was a special date since it was the turn when I practically leveled with AIs in AA technologies. I was researching towards Polytheism on 10% and had only 2 turns left to go when Arabs beat me but it was quit cheap to by at that time and so I did and sold it around getting every required AA tech with exception of Construction.

1000BC statistics: 11 cities, 32 pop, 11 workers, 3 slaves, 5 Mounted warriors, 9 warriors, 4 spears.

I started researching towards Monarchy on 10% and preparing for the war with Carthage.

AA went very quick but Medieval ages will last long long time but that is another story. :)
Finally bought construction and entered MA in around 800BC.

My Map:

@Tomoyo: With the setup you have, no way you are getting that green ambulance... Try harder next time :)

Predator [ptw]

My start was quite similar to krisk's, even the scout moves, up to the point where krisk bought his worker. I also bought a worker from India for pottery, but I finished building my second worker before that.

The starting sequence was scout (3750), worker (3550), granary (3100), warrior (2900), settler (2630).

I first set up an ordinary 4-turn settler factory. It ran a couple of laps and then I built barracks and changed to a warrior/settler factory (2190). I didn't want to wage my first war with mounted warriors, so this seemed like a good investment. The other cities concentrated on temples and workers, except one which I trimmed to 10 spt.

Scouting and Hut-popping
With only 2 brave scouts leaving home I was a bit worried. And Legolas I was indeed slain rather early. But Legolas II survived until the whole continent was visible.

I popped 5 huts, 4 empty and 1 town, near Arabia. This town built temple and then a settler who in turn founded a town that blocked Arabia from horses. These two towns also cover some incense.

I had access to one more goody hut but because I saved it for a chance to pop Monarchy, it was engulphed by an expanding border the moment I was going to pop it.

Research
I didn't research anything at more than 10%. In fact I didn't finish any research at all except polytheism. Still, the furious tech pace put me in the Middle Ages in 1125 BC. I had hopes that my control of the land bridge would give me some control of the tech pace, but of course India and Carthage immediately demanded my contacts.

War
I gave in to all demands and stayed out of war for the whole period. A couple of turns into MA I started to connect iron. But I was low on cash. I felt I had to buy myself into the Middle Ages or I would have been outrun even by the weak Romans.

Barbs
The barbs were mostly helpful, since contact with the other civs was quicker. I hardly killed any barbs myself, one camp I think.

QSC stats
15 towns
1 settler
12 workers + 1 slave
23 warriors
4 spearmen
1 Mounted warrior
10 temples (+1 just hurried)
2 barracks
1 granary
367 gold
20000 sqm (2nd in size)
5th strongest cultural town, Niagara Falls. Unfortunately totally corrupt.
All required AA techs + literature
No 5 in score.
No 1 in culture, 674 c.

Goal
The initial and ultimate goal is milking. The first goal is to conquer the west, taking advantage of the land bridge to defend from the east.

I played conquest class (PTW) because I usually play emporer, and was afraid of deity, but ended up pretty much kicking the AI's butt. I guess Deity is easy with a 1000 year head start. Now I kinna wish I'd tried open, considering how strategically awesome the start was (the chokepoint plus France as a neighbor--I love kicking French bootie in the early game). Anyway, I've a couple of questions, and figured this would be a good place to ask.

1. How do you know what your Jason score is? Is the score they give you at the end of the game altered to be that, or is it the Firaxis score?

2. I've never actually submitted a game even though I've completed about 3 gotms. I think your supposed to submit the turn before you win? I ended up with domination (930 ad) and I think I did it by taking a town right before I won (I dont have any programs that count tiles and such, so I never really know how close I am; its not like culture or spaceship when you know you are going to win the next turn). But if I submit the turn before I win it might not show I won that turn since the game saves at the beginning of the turn, and only by playing through the turn do I get to the domination limit, and I dont have a save of the end of that played through turn, only a save right after I won, and I went back and got the save from the turn before from the autosave. I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Felton said:
I played conquest class (PTW) because I usually play emporer, and was afraid of deity, but ended up pretty much kicking the AI's butt. I guess Deity is easy with a 1000 year head start. Now I kinna wish I'd tried open, considering how strategically awesome the start was (the chokepoint plus France as a neighbor--I love kicking French bootie in the early game). Anyway, I've a couple of questions, and figured this would be a good place to ask.

1. How do you know what your Jason score is? Is the score they give you at the end of the game altered to be that, or is it the Firaxis score?

2. I've never actually submitted a game even though I've completed about 3 gotms. I think your supposed to submit the turn before you win? I ended up with domination (930 ad) and I think I did it by taking a town right before I won (I dont have any programs that count tiles and such, so I never really know how close I am; its not like culture or spaceship when you know you are going to win the next turn). But if I submit the turn before I win it might not show I won that turn since the game saves at the beginning of the turn, and only by playing through the turn do I get to the domination limit, and I dont have a save of the end of that played through turn, only a save right after I won, and I went back and got the save from the turn before from the autosave. I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Welcome Felton!!
Congratulations with the impressive early domination win.

and to answer on your questions:

1. You will find what your Jason score is after you submit your game.
2. If you won you supposed to submit it after your win. Just chose the "Let me play couple of more turns" option when you receive a win message. Then submit the game next turn after your actual win. Once you submitted you will see your Jason score on the screen and also you will get a confirmation e-mail.

Hope that helps!
D.

PTW Open

This isn't my first deity game, but it is my first in PTW! :)

I settled in place and built scout, worker, granary, settler. In the end, with all the BGs around, I only chopped the game forest, and soon had a four turn warrior, settler pump happening at the capital. However, I never built barracks at the capital. The initial scout headed west, as that was the direction I intended to build the second city, so that the irrigated game could be shared. The second scout headed east, but soon found our little cul de sac, and so then headed SE to find the choke to the eastern civs.

Contacts
I met FRance, then India, then Carthage first, and held off trading until I had the three contacts (all by 3450BC). At this time we were still able to get value for both CB and pottery. In the third millenium BC we met Rome, then Persia, then Arabia and finally Germany in 2390BC. In all we managed to pop only two huts, both of which were deserted.

War
Around 1900BC, Persia made a surprise attack on our core (actually our whole civilisation of about 5 cities). At this time all cities were garrisoned by a reg warrior, so it was no surprise to see one city fall, and be razed by the evil Persians. We quickly built an archer, instead of a warrior, and managed to fend off the remainder of the Persian advanced force, but obviously suffered from the removal of a core city. At this point I had visions of the red ambulance floating around my head. Fortunately, no other Persian troops showed up, and we were able to make our peace with them for polytheism and 32 gold.

Techs
Science was a min run on mysticism, followed by maximum on polytheism and monarchy. However, we were beaten to mysticism, just got minor value out of poltheism and were beaten to monarchy. We did stay in touch with AA techs through trading everything including contacts and maps - I figured that given our weak position relative to the AIs at this time, that these things would have just been demanded off us anyway! In 1000BC we did our final AA trade with Rome - currency, world map, 7gpt and 16g for construction to enter the MA.

QSC stats:
13 cities (1 destroyed in Persian war)
39 pop
7 workers (1 killed by barbs)
1 scout
13 warriors
2 archers
1 mounted warrior

5 barracks, 1 granary
All AA tech except literature, republic and monarchy
Last in score with 414 (rome 418, Arabia in lead 627)

The early MA plan is to get into monarchy, and use the mounties to give us more breathing room, and to trigger a well-timed golden age. We will worry about how we are going to win later on...

PTW Open

My first Deity game too and I'm normally a Conquests rather than PTW player, so my aim was to survive as long as possible. Like Tomoyo I also decided to try and keep the AI sweet with gpts and in my case, I think I may have gone overboard a bit with this, but I'm getting ahead of myself. My research is toward Monarchy permanantly at minimum.

4000 BC Settle in place and send worker o the cow. My build order was Scout - Settler - Granary - Settler - Settler etc.

3600 Meet Cathage. They won't trade anything for all my gold and techs.

3500 Meet France. Trade Masonry + 10g for Pottery and CB

3400 Settler produced and sent towards the cow north-east of Salamanca

3350 Meet Arabs and Indians. Trade Masionry to India for Bronze Working + 10g. Trade alphabet to Arabia for Warrior Code.

3300 Lose a scout to a barb

3250 Niagara Falls founded on the river mouth next to the cow.

3150 Buy worker from Carthage for 4gpt +38g

3000 Herodotus says we're pathetic.

2510 Salamanca produces its first post-granary settler. My brief period of tech. parity ends.

2470 My settler loses a race to the wheat west of Salamanca to Hannibal's mob and a nasty French stack is apporoaching the undefended Salamanca.

2350 The nasty French stack goes away - phew! I buy the Wheel from India for 4gpt + 22g. I send the settler towards the horses in the north-east.

2220 Settler produced and sent towards the wines.

2190 The French destroy the Carthiginian town on the wheat west of Slamanca - thanks Joan.

2070 Grand River founded next to the wines on the coast. Alleghenny founded next to the north east horses.

2030 The next settler is sent toward the destroyed Carth. city next to the wheat.

1990 Arabs demand 20g - fine.

1870 Cattaraugus founded next to the wheat and horses.

1830 By now I've discovered the choske point to the east and the next settler is sent there.

1790 Meet Rome, I have nothing to trade with.

1725 Oil Springs founded on the choke point.

I sell contact with the Romans to India for Ieon Working + 5 g. Contact with the Romans + 22g to France for HBR. Contact with the Romans to the Arabs for 44g and to the Carths for 37g. I sell HBR + 12g to Rome for writing.

1650 Meet Persians. I buy Maths from France for 4gpt + 12g + WM
IBT The Germans meet us and I trade Maths, WM and 1gpt for Map Making

1600 France builds the Oracle, Carthage builds the Pyramids.

1500 Mauch Chunk and St. Regis founded.

1475 I buy COL from Hannibal for 11gpy +28g + WM and sell it to Arabia for Philosophy + 43g + TM.

1350 Centralia founded in my hinterland.

1175 France and India declare war on Rome, but can't reach them via land, due to my choke point city, I hope this doesn't give them ideas.

1125 Germany joins the war against Rome. Carthage and India reach the MA.

1100 - I buy literature from France for WM + 5gpt + 18g.

1075 - France builds the Colossus

1000 - France builds the Great Wall.

I have 12 cities, 16 military units, 8 workers, 1 settler and 34 gold. Polytheism is due in one turn.

950 - I buy Currency from France for 12gpt + 39g + WM

870 - X-man threatens me - I pay up. Rome is being dogpiled, they're even further behind than me.

830 - Ghandi does the same and so do I.

750 - I still need Construction to get out of the AA and the only ways I can trde for it is by joining the dogpile on Rome as part of a MA. So i start moving my small band of MWs towards the Roman border. I offer myself around like a cheap floozie and Hannibal comes up with the best offer - Construction + MA versus Rome for MA versus Rome 7gpt + 29g. We declare war on Rome and the AA ends.

Edit to add piccy

It's been a while since I've had time to sit down and play a game of Civilization. Being the first game I've played in said new-found time, and being the first deity game I've seriously tried to play, this has been a sharp re-learning curve. It's been enjoyable though. Great gotm!

PTW Open

I didn't keep a written timeline since I didn't think I had a chance of actually getting to the middle ages in competitive shape (I couldn't have been much more wrong, if I do say so myself). So all information here is from my mental timeline.

I started by taking a moment to revel in the greatness of our starting position. I reveled some more, then a little more, and then I came to terms with the fact that I was just procrastinating in the face of the whipping that was surely ahead of me. Not wanting the Iroquois people to go down without a fight, I settled in place and began work on a second scout. I figured I'd need two or three scouts to split up in order to get the contacts I needed to trade my techs before they began trading amongst themselves and leaving me out as they tend to do.

My scout set out due west (I didn't realize till quite a bit later that there was a land bridge that led to the east) and soon happened upon the Carthaginians. They turned out to be the misers of the world and refused to trade me any techs, despite my generous offers. Their horde of warriors was headed north so I sent my scout north to beat them there.

Soon enough I ran into the Arabs. They were more happy to trade techs with only half the deal I offered the Carthaginians. I think I traded Ceremonial Building for Warrior code. Armed with several more techs then Carthage, I was able to convince them to give me the Alphabet for some exorbitant amount that I can't recall. As I had ventured quite far to the north of the map, my scouts set off to the south.

Carthage beat me to the south, but not by much. About a turn or two after they made contact with India I did also. I couldn't convince them to trade techs with me, but I did buy a worker from them for about 100 gold. I think this set them back quite a bit as they only had 4 cities at the height of their power. That's unfortunate, because Carthage is massive by the middle ages. But I digress. My scout headed further west and, running into a coast, made his way east.

Soon enough I bumped into the fourth rival on our half of the continent, France. I remember having three workers running around at this time, so I think that's what I bought from them. It wasn't as expensive as the one from India since I has less then 100 gold after I bought the first worker. It was probably about 60 gold. I don't think buying that worker stunted France's growth as much, but I think they could have pumped out one or two more if I hadn't taken it. After swiping thier worker, my scout headed back north to explore beyond the new-found bridge to the east.

What bridge to the east? Well, that second scout had been built while the first was circling the continent. Most of the time was spent thoroughly exploring the land north, northwest, and southwest of our capital. No sooner did he head east then he ran into the bridge. "Aha!" I said to myself. "A strategically placed narrow land bridge. This can only mean that there are other civilizations beyond. I must try to monopolize this trade route of ideas. None shall pass untill I'm good and ready for them to." I fortified a scout on the bridge and no one passed untill the French sent a settler to the other side in a galley. I sent the other scout due east. A few turns later he bumped into a Persian warrior. Techs were probably traded with them and others (I think this is the time I achieved a short-lived tech parity).

I nosed around the Persian empire for a few turns before I ran into a Roman warrior. I believe they had three workers for sale. I bought one from them then and traded a tech for the other two later. This didn't seem to stunt their growth. It was probably too late for that. The Roman warrior seemed to decide that the polite thing to do would be to escort my scout through the jungle to safety, because he headed north and my scout followed closely behind (I'd learned that the jungle was infested with barbarians).

My scout explored about half of the Roman territory before bumping into a German warrior, completing my list of contacts. The scout again headed north and scoped out the land until I got a world map and his services were no longer needed. During that time I got Philosophy from a goody hut. :)

On the home front, my first move was to irrigate and road the cattle. Soon that was done and I sent my worker to road the furs. When that was done I had built a scout and two warriors and I was building a granary, so I began to chop the forest. About this time I traded for my second worker and sent it to chop also. The chop done, the workers headed to the game and began to chop it. I'd finished my granary by now and I was working on my first settler. The game chop was timed well, as it put the settler out in time to claim the horses to the west of the capital. The game was then irrigated and my settler farm was good to go.

Several more cities were built to the west and then to the south in RCP manner with a spacing of 3 - 3.5 spaces. Three of the cities to the west began work on settlers as soon as they'd built two warriors. I was worried about what I'd read in regards to not having a large enough offensive military and I debated building an archer or two instead. In the long run I'm glad I built the settlers. No one ever attacked me and by the time I began my own warfare archers would have been a bit archaic. I narrowly beat some settlers to land in my second ring of cities, and my empire would have been suffering greatly in the middle ages had it not been for grabbing this land. As I said earlier, Carthage is quite large and they have no need to be any larger. After building one settler, cities that were not the capital were building Mounted Warriors.

Toward the end of the ancient age I had all of the cities I have now in the middle ages minus, of course, the French cities. At that point I directed almost all of my prodution toward Mounted Warriors. I did build a Temple in one key city and a Marketplace in my capital for happiness and money.

The tech pace wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. It certainly wasn't as bad as the last GOTM that had Greece in it. That was emperor level and I simply couldn't keep up. I think I've gotten better since then, but I'd be suprised if I was that much better. Maybe I should play that one again... Anyway, I didn't find the tech pace overwhelming and there was an abundance of resources and luxuries for us to exploit.

I think I researched Mysticism, Polytheism, and The Republic myself. The rest I traded for, bought, for got in a peace treaty. I would have bought or fought for The Republic, but I'd have either had to pay an unthinkable amount in gold and gpt or I'd have to wrench it from the cold, lifeless fingers of even the smallest civilization. I knew I'd need that money and income for future upgrades, so that was out of the question. Mysticism took the full 40 turns to research as I had my science tax set to 20%. I didn't get very much for it (maybe a couple workers, which isn't so bad). Polytheism was researched at 50% science tax and I was the first to get it. With this I got Mathematics, Code of Law, Currency, Map Making, and Literature. At that point all I had left was Construction, The Republic, and Monarchy. As I said, I researched the Republic myself in about 30 turns. I got Construction and Monarchy in one peace deal with the French. That catapulted me into the middle ages. Going on up to the point where I get my statistics so far (about 12 turns into the middle ages), I researched Feudalism for about 8 turns untill I captured the Great Library from the French. The Great Library netted me Feudalism, Monotheism, Engineering, and Invention. I'm researching Chivalry as of the last turn I played. I have tech parity for the first time in several thousand years.

For the first half of the ancient age my military consistented only of Warriors that were built only as MP. The second half of the ancient age the the tiny bit of the middle ages I have recorded sees me building only Mounted Warriors in an attempt to overwhelm the French. So far it's working nicely.

I was able to raise my army fairly quickly. I had about 30 Warriors and about 16 Mounted Warriors by my first turn in the middle ages. I amassed troops at the French border untill I decided I could overrun a few of their cities.

My first act of war was to declair war on the French. My troops waited just out of harm's reach as the unexpectedly small offensive army of horsemen poured (dripped?) over my border. They were eliminated without a hitch and my Mounted Warriors were off for the nearest French city. The two cities closest to my border were taken handily before French Archers and Spearmen met my advance. I took out the Archers and decided that the Spearmen weren't enough harm to risk my Mounted Warriors, but at the same time I didn't want them pillaging my land. I decided to make peace both so I could regroup and heal my troops and so that the French Spearmen would go back to the other side of their empire. This peace deal sent me into the middle ages.

My troops healed and many more from the motherland joined them. I then directed them toward the next closest French city, their largest, and began my attack. Three Spearmen and a Longbowman put up a good fight. A couple Mounted Warriors suffered one point of damage, nine were red-lined, and one was killed in the assault. But with 21 Mounted Warriors in the stack the city fell with ease. And with that the Great Library was mine. At this time the French had Medieval Infantry, but not enough for them to be anything other then a waste of production. (Speaking of a waste of production, as soon as I captured the third city the French began work on Sun Tzu's. I though that was funny.) I also amassed about 6 more Mounted Warriors and am about to open a second front and attack the northwestern side of the French empire. I figure those cities only have the rudimentry two Spearmen.

My future plans for the military are to conquer France and India. This shouldn't be hard, but I think that since France is a cultural behemoth I'm going to have to destroy the Great Library city lest it flip back to France. But that's ok, it has served its purpose. I'll probably have to destroy a few other cities too. I should be able to keep Paris and a couple smaller cities though. When those conquests are done I'll focus on upgrading my Mounted Warriors to Knights, producing more Knights, and then upgrading Warriors to Medieval Infantry. This will be expensive I fear. If the RNG is really nice to me I'll get a great leader. Then I'll rush Leonardo's and be in a very good position for a quick dominiation of Carthage.

I'm still a despotism, and I plan to stay that way for a while. I haven't compaired the amount of troops I have to the support my cities give, but if it's sufficent I might switch to Monarchy when I take India and France. Republic is out of the question. I'd never be able to support all the troops I need without many Marketplaces and maybe Banks. I can't wait that long to take Carthage. I don't want to give them time to get their hands on too many Musketmen, or even worse, Cavalry. When I have Carthage, I'll be unparalleled and the rest of the world will soon be mine. Then I can go for whatever victory I like. Maybe I can milk it...

Statistics as of a couple turns after 450 BC (about 12 turns into middle ages):

18 cities
7 native workers
12 foreign workers
29 warriors
3 spearmen
30 mounted warriors
1 granary
1 marketplace
1 temple
610 gold
23 gpt
6th place with 562 points
Persia is in first with 954
currently researching chivalry
got feudalism, monotheism, invention, and engineering from great library

This is my second game on deity. The first one I completed was as Aztec (PTW) and it was not too hard due to good use of the extremely effective UU. When I try deity these days (C3C) I normally quit after I see the AI has surrounded my capital with cities and I am still building granary. So this will be interesting. I *guess* Ainwood has done this playable also to us mere mortals.

Regarding the goal of the game, all bets are off for the moment. If I see it will become possible, I will go for my normal goal of Domination. Lets first see if we can survive the Ancient Age.

My initial plan is to explore as quickly as possible and establish contacts. We cannot miss the initial trade fairs. I do not count on being able to research anything myself in the beginning. I will try to get 'opional' techs like literacy that is less of a priority for the AI.

Opening moves
Will first irrigate the cow then chop and irrigate the game. Settle in place. No research. I build a second scout. Then plan to build a worker next, but changed that to a third scout after I bought 2 slaves from Carthage in 3800BC. I feel there is a pressing need to meet other civs and to explore as fast as possible.

Exploration
One scout explores to the West, second to the East (built 3750BC) and third to the South (built 3600BC).

Contact with other civs:
Carthage 3800BC
Arabia 3650BC
France 3450BC
India (did not make not note but must have been between France and Rome)
Rome 2350BC
Persia 2350BC (traded with Romans)
Germans 1870BC (traded with Romans)

Traded for complete map of the landmass in 1870BC.

However much of my exploration activities ended in 3150BC when two of my unlucky scouts were killed by barbs. Did not make new ones since very busy to populate the lands.

Granary finished in Salamanca in 3050BC. First settler moves out in 2850BC. We move it towards a cluster of wheat to the west. In 2800BC Carthage builds a city in the middle of the wheat. Arghh :mad: We move instead the settler against river to the north.
From a mountain I soon see that Carthage has built a city just next to the cow on the coast. What do I do now?? Without a second settler factory and my RCP plans in ruin, I feel rather stumped. At this point I see my future as rather bleak.
Instead I create a ring of 5 cities with distance 3-3.5, and for the rest I put in a city wherever I can.

Technology
I normally call this section 'Research' but that would be slightly misleading since in the AA I did not finish any tech. I started out with zero research, knowing that the clue to obtaining techs would be smart trading.

3800BC: Carthage have alphabet and masonry, but very high prices. They have 3 workers for sale. I purchase 2 of them for pottery, ceremonial burial and 1gpt.

3450BC: France are nice to me and give me alphabet and masonry for pottery, ceremonial burial and 1gpt. I get warrior code from Arabia for alphabet. I get bronze working from France for warrior code and 20g. So we have tech parity.

2350BC: Many trades with all partners. Result is I got tech parity by trading for writing, mysticism, horseback riding, iron working and the wheel. Also got contact with the Persians.

1870BC: Trade for contact with Germans. We have all contacts. Trade for mapmaking with French giving gpt and cash. Trade for some world maps so we have a nice view of our entire continent. Set research to literacy on min.

1325BC: I am close to getting literacy on my own but see that a couple of nations suddenly had it. I traded for it cheaply and spread it around. I gained mathematics, philosophy, code of laws. Minimum research on Republic. A couple of civs now only miss polytheism to enter MA.

The flip
I had problems believing it. In 1075BC Leptis Magna (also called 'wheat city') is joining me. It was for sure not expected, even though I had rushed temples in a couple of cities around it. The wheat is mine, but of course too late for a second settler factory. I enjoyed it so much I decided to include a screenshot:

QSC stats
16 cities (inc 1 flipped)
39 pop
12 workers (+ 2 purchased slaves)
25 vet warriors
1 reg spearman
4 catapults
1 granary
4 barracks
5 temples
456 gold
3 lux connected (fur, wine, incense)
Missing Polytheism, Currency, Construction, Republic (27 turns)
Will connect iron next turn for upgrades to swords.
All civs but Carthage and Rome (and of course me) are already in the Middle Ages.
Sixth place in ranking with 489 points. Persians in the lead with 665.

WAR
I noticed that the French did not have iron, which is a nice way of saying 'come and get me'. So I build 4 early barracks and create an army of swords ready for upgrade. So it was important to keep some funds for this purpose. That is why I chose not to trade at all cost to enter MA. The plan was to obtain remaining techs from the French.

So in 900BC I declare on the French and ally with India and Carthage (lux deals). I move 12 swords and 4 catapults in to take Tours (on hill).

The French in Lyon builds Great Library in 875BC. Hmmm ... that smells of luck ... for me. It is a little bit to early (maybe) but for sure better than if it was built on other side of continent. In 775BC I take Lyon and control the Great Library.

Arghh, the treacherous Persians attack me in 775BC and raze my bridge city. All the swords in the area will have to answer this call of duty.

In 750BC I get Construction, Currency, Republic, Monarchy, Feudalism and Monotheism from the Great Library. We enter MA.

First goal for MA is to finish off the French. Then I think Carthage will be next. They have several cities which could become productive for me. Then I am wondering about Persia and India. Persians are emerging as the dominant power so I probably need to calm them down a bit.
In normal style I will try for Domination in MA using cavs, but maybe tech pace will be too quick. We will see.

Anyways, thanks to Ainwood for a very interesting game. I am really enjoying it.

I'm one turn from finishing construction, but since I won't be playing again until next weekend, I guess this can be considered "Close Enough"

Since I've been playing the game sporadically, I can't completely recall my opening moves, but getting a city on that chokepoint early was important. It would allow me to buffer contacts and in case of a war with an Eastern civ, prevent the AI from reaching my core too easily. That didn't stop me from filling in every possible gap on the other side with 4-turn settlers, however. An early fifteen-way war broke out between pretty much everybody, and the buffer city of mine pretty much meant germany could roll over all the French and Indian cities over there.

I think the war went something like this:
Germany declares on Persia
Persia gets alliances with France, Arabs, Carthage, and Rome
Arabs declare on India
India gets alliance with France
Germany declares on India
Rome declares on Persia!?!? (Artificial Unintelligence moment of the month.) Needless to say, what's left of Rome looks like an easy target.

My Wines city and the Chokepoint city were both pumping out veteran spears as soon as they were available, and fortifying in the chokepoint, so if I do get dragged in against germany, my core is safe. Unfortunately, I think my chokepoint helped Germany a little _too_ much, seeing as now they have a tremendous lead over all other AIs(and myself) except Persia, who is still a significant amount behind.

Had trouble with flips this time around, despite cheap early temples. In hindsight maybe a few MP would've helped(even though I'm in Republic--after getting writing I went right for it).

I didn't even discover the chokepoint until I saw a French warrior disappear out that way and not come back. (My first built scout went a couple steps east, but saw coast and backtracked, and settling over in that mess of hills and jungles wasn't exactly a high priority.) By that time, I had almost all of the western half of the continent scouted out and was wondering where everybody went -- this is Pangaea, right?!? :lol:

I still got to make use of the contact separation, though; the French warrior died to a barb in the jungle just as my scouts caught up to him, apparently without ever making contact.

Ainwood got me the same way in GOTM35 with that long isthmus down to the Zulu; you'd think I'd learn. ;) Nice map, Ainwood! :thumbsup:

Full AA report in a few hours, or a few days, or whenever.

Renata

[ptw] Conquest

This is a first for me on several levels. This is the first time I’ve played a GOTM, the first time I’ve played on anything higher than Regent, the first time I’ve played on a standard size map (I usually play Large or Huge) and my first shot at the Iriquois.

I didn’t keep real spectacular notes, so there are a few blank spots.

4000 BC – Salamanca founded, research set to zero.

3750 BC – Grand River founded.

3500 BC – Contact with France and the Carthaginians. Traded Pottery & 18 gold to get Masonry from the French. Traded Ceremonial Burial & 90 gold to get Alphabet from the Carthaginians.

3450 BC – Contact with the Arabs. Sold Alphabet to them for 35 gold.

3100 BC – Bought Bronze Working from someone for 90 gold (bad notes).

2950 BC – Contact with India. Traded Masonry to get Warrior Code and 15 gold from them.

2750 BC – Contact with Rome.

2590 BC – Allegheny founded.

2430 BC - Cattaraugus founded.

2230 BC – Contact with Germany. Bought The Wheel and Iron Working from them for 220 gold.

2150 BC – Oil Springs founded.

2050 BC – Another city founded (bad notes strike again)

2030 BC – Contact with Persia. Bought Mysticism for 70 gold.

1910 BC – Mauch Chunk founded

1870 BC – Germany completes the Oracle.

1790 BC – Arabs demand 23 gold. I happily pay. Buy Horseback Riding from them for 73 gold and 1 GPT.

1750 BC – St. Regis founded.

1575 BC – Busy turn for wonders, as Persia builds the Great Library. Carthaginians build the Pyramids, and the French build the Colossus.

1200 BC – The evil Carthaginians declare war on me after I politely ask them to stop pacing back and forth through my territory with the same warrior/settler combo, causing me to have to re-MM my cities every turn. I respond by capturing the city of Sabratha. That'll show em.

1175 BC – I pay heavily to get the Arabs involved in the war with Carthage. It costs me 220 gold and 22 GPT, but it’s worth it. I capture Utica from the Carthaginians this turn as well knock off that bloody warrior getting me a few free workers.

1175 BC – IBT – Arabs get the French and Persians to join in our war against the Carthaginians. Huzzah!

1000 BC – Leptis Minor captured from the Carthaginians.

At the end of that turn, I have the following goodies for the QSC:
11 cities
51 citizens
1 granary
3 temples
2 barracks
7 workers
1 warrior
12 spearmen
12 mounted warriors

925 BC – Germany builds the Great Wall

690 BC – India builds the Great Library

650 BC – I capture Carthage and with it the Great Pyramids.

630 BC – I capture Leptis Magna from the Carthaginians. I extort peace from him for all of my missing AA techs (about 9 of them), all his gold, 1 GPT, his world map, and Oea – his only other city. I enter the Middle Ages at this point.

Seems I'm not doing spectacularly, but not too poorly either. I have made several mistakes, but none too glaring at this point. Some really dumb stuff happens in the MA though. :D

Dumb n00b question - how do you take screenshots? I want to post my view of the world, but can't figure out how. :blush:

EC

Print Screen + Paste into image edditing program. Then upload. :D

QSC LOG - PTW, Open Class.

Opening strategy: settle in place.
Build order - scout, worker, granary.

scout NW, begin min research on mysticism

worker: irigate then road cow

3750 - second scout goes east, will soon turn south.

meet carthage. CB + Pottery + 22 + 1gpt for Masonry :/

3600 - worker completed. both chop game.

3550 - GH = map

3500 - meet arabia. they're up warrior code, but i'm broke.

2nd scout is going south.

3200 - meet france. pottery + 15 + 1gpt = bronze working.

3100 - one worker starts chopping furs. other is finishing roading game (chopped and irrigated already).

2900 - granary finishes. warrior build in 2.

2800 - meet india. they won't trade. decide to build warrior #2 next, since forest chop of furs will complete in 4. warrior takes 2.

2590 - first settler built. Carthage has a city directly SW by the wheat. :/

2470 - 2nd city founded SE, SE, S. on Hills in range of Game.

2390 - finally get furs connected.

2150 - finish research on mysticism. Everyone already has it. Meet Persia and Rome (dunno how). Someone else must have sold them contact with me. Start on polytheism, 40 turns.

2030 - scout 1 killed by barbs.

1910 - 5th settler finished. have 5 towns total, all 3 spaces away from capitol in perfect RCP plan. going to send this settler south to claim land from france.

1830 - everyone is up alphabet, ironworking, and warrior code. Decide to buy iron working for 82 + 1gpt from france.

1700 - buy Alphabet from France for map + 30 gold

1675 - 7th city founded west, next to iron.

1650 - decide carthage may attack soon. buy math from them for map + 20 gold + 9 gpt. Realize I can resell math. get alphabet for math from arabs. get warrior code for math from romans. get horseback riding for math from india. now just down philosophy and map making.

1525 - buy philo from india for 60 + map + 2gpt. philo + 4 gold + 1 gpt + map to rome for code of laws.

1375 - COL + map + 25 + 1gpt to germany for map making.

1125 - buy currency for map + furs + 64 + 9 gpt from carthage. map + currency to india for literature + map.

1000 - finish research on polytheism. Other civs except rome are in MA. I realize only persia knows a government, and it's Monarchy. Everyone else is still in Despotism.

QSC -

13 cities. 33 pop.
3 granary
5 temple
2 baracks
11 workers
1 scout
14 warriors
3 catapults
1 mounted warrior

all techs except construction, republic, monarchy.

3 sources of horses (one hooked up) 2 sources of iron (none hooked up, one being hooked up).
2 furs, 2 wines and 1 incense in territory, not all connected.

BC 825 - wines + 160 + 16 gpt + map for monarchy from carthage. Enter Middle Ages.

ptw 1.27f open

Goal: live to see 500ad

4000bc worker to cow, scout nw, n. Settle in place. start scout. start research on Mysticism at min.

3950bc worker irrigate cow, scout N,E. Sees grapes and a coast

3900bc scout Ne, N. Sees second grape and a cow - possible 2nd SF

3850bc scout N, W
ibt Salamanca scout > granary

3800bc scout1 w,sw. Scout 2 S

3750bc scout2 s,s. worker roads irrigated cow. scout1 s,sw & sees a cow by river

3700bc scout2 E, scout 1 sw,sw

3650bc scout1 w,w meets Carthage. They know alphabet and masonry, but won't trade either for what I have. They have 3 workers and will trade 2 for pottery and CB +18g. I couldn't afford all 3 even with gptDid the trade.
scout2 s,s. Both carthage workers sent to deer

3600bc scout2 s,s - sees desert. Scout 1 w,NW. Start Chopping deer forest. Native worker to furs.
ibt: meet France.

3550bc Trade France CB, pottery, 3g + 1gpt for Alphabet and Masonry. Scout1 n,nw - sees a GH. Scout 2 W,w

3500bc scout 1 pops hut, empty. scout2 w,nw. lux slider to 10%

3450bc scout1 w,w. Scout2 n,nw. Down BW now.

3400bc scout1 w, sees arabian warrior. Trade Masonry for BW. Scout 2 n

3350bc scout 1w,sw. Scout2 n,n

3300bc scout 1 w,w. Scout2 n,n

3250bc scout 1 w sees coast, n. scout 2 heading to explore E of Salamanca. Lux slider to 30% and can lower sci to 10%

3150bc ibt.Granary completes, start warrior (will complete this turn with a forest chop)

3100ibt forest chop gives warrior, start rax. Lower lux to 20%

3050 scout2 ends turn next to barb on peninsula? E of Salamanca

3000bc lose warrior to barb. Switch rax to spear.

2800bc scout1 meets India. Trade Masonry +22g for Warrior Code

2670bc Salamanca produces 1st settler, but barb is right there. Will send spear with our settler.
ibt our capital pillaged, but it reset my SF which I had messed up

2550 settle Niagra falls

2350 meet Persia. Trade Pottery, 3gpt, 37g for Writing. Trade India Writing for 57g.

2310 settle Grand River.

2330bc meet rome. Trade pottery for 13g

2190bc Settle Allegheny. France got Mysticism 1 turn before I could.
ibt: learn Mysticism

2150bc Trade Rome mysticism + 29g for IW and Contact with the Germans. Trade Germany Pottery and IW for the wheel. Trade Persia mysticism + 43g for HBR.

2110bc Trade Carthage Mysticism for 25g.

1990bc ibt : we are the weakest nation in the world

1950bc Trade France hbr + 56g for philosophy.

1910bc Settle Cattaragus

1790bc ibt: Carthage Demands contact with Persia. I cave.

1750bc all contacts have been sold

1725 lost my 2 carthagenian workers to a barb horse that appeared out of the fog :(

1765 settle oil springs

1650 Trade India 141g + 1gpt for lit. Trade lit plus 8 gpt to Rome for MM. Trade Germany lit Plus MM for WM + 51g. Trade Rome WM for WM + 1gpt. Trade WM around

1525bc Settle Tonawanda

1500bc Settle Mauch Chunk. Trade rome WM, 98g, 5gpt for Math. trade France Math, wm, 12g for CoL. Trade Germany Math for worker, WM, 12g.

1325bc Settle St Regis

1225bc Settle Centralia. one more settler then turn off SF - out of room

1125bc turn off SF. Have 2nd lux hooked up. lux slider to 0%

1075bc Settle Akwesasne.

1025bc Settle tyendenaga
ibt: learn Polytheism

1000bc Trade France WM, 213g, 27gpt for Monarchy. Trade Rome Monarchy for Currency, WM.

Stats: 12 towns, 31 pop. 7 workers, 1 slave, 8 war, 4 MW, 3 spear, 1 temple (needed to keep from flipping), 4 rax, 1 granary.

Open – 1.27f

Opening moves were scout to northern hill, seeing 2nd beaver, then worker to cow. Seeing no reason to move, settled in place.
Build order for Sala was scout, settler, granary. Settler founded Niagra Falls in 3250BC 2N, 1NW to get on river and in range of the cow. This town would provide warrior escorts and the occasional worker for Sala.

I did not research anything till Poly, which was at min. I also did not find a single goody hut.

Missed the land bridge to the east till very late as the second scout was hearded south by the hills. Met the following civs in the following order:
Cathage 3650BC (bought 2 workers for Pottery, CB and 18g, helping the granary build in Sala.)
France: 3400BC
Arabs: 3150BC
India: 2900BC
Romans, Persians, and Germans in 1750BC

Based on early exploration, it was pretty clear that we had some civ’s with decent MA UU’s, so I decided for a tight build, with the aim for early wars vs the locals. However, to get there, I would need to wheel and deal techs.
Tech buys as follows:

3400BC: France: Get BW for CB, Pott, 32g; Carthage: Get Mas for BW, 2gpt, 1g
2670BC: Carthage: Get Myst for 3gpt and 51g; France: get WC and 28g for Myst; India: Get Alpha and 19g for Myst
Also start min. research run on Poly this turn
2270BC: India: Get IW for 5gpt and 58g; Arabs: get wheel and 28g for IW
1830BC: India: Get HBR for 1gpt and 95g; Arabs: get writing for HBR, 5gpt, 4g
1750BC: This was a big year. I will list the trades in the order they occurred (and use my notes verbatim)
Rome: Buy contact with Persians for Myst and 1gpt and 14g; Buy contact with Germans for HBR;
Sell Persians Myst for 80g.
Note: Persians have MM and there's only coastal tiles around so a galley will get there sooner or later. I'm in a hole so sell contacts now.
Sell France Contact with Germany for Philo and 59g;
Buy MM from Persia for Contact with India, Philosophy, 82g;
Sell MM to France for 171g;
Sell MM to Carthage for 189g;
Sell MM to India for WM and 106g;
Sell MM, Philo, Contact with Indians, WM to Rome for Math, 41g, WM;
Sell WM to Persians getting thier TM and 24g.
Sell WM to Carthage for a Worker;
Swap WM's with Germany;
Sell WM to India for 55g and WM;
Sell Persia contact with France for 50g;
Get another 5g from Arabia and Persia for WM's

1375BC: India: buy CoL for 200g and WM; Arabs: buy Lit, WM, and worker for CoL, WM, and 97g
1325BC: Min research run on Poly comes in and I have a monopoly, but I fail to capitalize as no one has techs or a decent lump of gold
1275BC: hold onto Poly 1T too long as the Persians learn it and earn about 250g from India and the Arabs
1250BC: sell Poly to the Germans and France for about 110g and a worker
1100BC: Rome: Buy Construction for Lit, Poly, WM, 319g; Carthage: Get Currency, WM, 38g for Construction; Sell Currency to Rome for 229g; Sell Currency to Germany for WM, 12g and worker, sell currency to France for WM and 66g

With all the cash after the 1750BC trade-o-rama and all the min research, I immediately upgraded about 15 vet warriors to swordsman and mass on the French border. My plan is to attack France, MA’ing with India. Carthage and the Arabs are in perpetual war and are gassing themselves just fine. I thought Rome and Persia would do the same but they sign peace just before the QSC.

QSC stat’s (peaking briefly into the MA)
11 Towns (1 from a razed French town)
1 granery
5 barracks
3 temples
2 settlers
10 workers
15 slaves
1 archer
3 spears
7 warriors
19 swords
Ready to rumble :) And rumble I do, but that’s for the next spoiler.

can i survive an old fashioned diety immortal rush :D ?

ptw 1.27 open

I have never won a deity game before, but I'm hoping Ainwood will help a little with lux, bonusses and geography. I settled in place and build scout, granary and then settlers. I didn't research anything (actually the first thing I researched myself was metallurgy). The first civ I met was carthage and I swapped my knowledge for two of the three workers they had for sale. Then I met arabia and india. The french came to me and I could just in time plug the chokepoint before they travelled to the east. With the money saved by not researcing I bought workers and knowledge. In the east I met the persians which offered a great trading opportunity: I traded for all contacts, knowledge and most of the money. Then I spent all my money on ambassies (for keeping everybody happy and monitoring the wars) and on ai-workers.
At 1000BC I couldn't believe my luck: the french and persians were the only ones who knew monarchy; the only war was in the east where the persians and the germans were beating up rome; the french had the great library and no iron. I could buy monarchy from the french for 56 gold, 19gpt, iron, furs, wines and incense. I immediatly declared war on them, which left them with only 56 gold. With monarchy I pursuaded carthage, india and arabia to dow on france. I dowed on persia and with monarchy again I bribed the germans to declare on persia also and finally I sold monarchy to rome for their knowledge and money. My golden age came in 975BC. In 570BC I captured Paris with the great library and in 550BC france dies and i enter the MA. In the east persia is winning.

PtW Predator

Goal

Win by any means :D

Initial moves

Worker on cow, scout w and s, settle in place.

Build order

Warrior, scout, granary, worker, warrior, settlers

Science

Always min research, but only Mathematics completed in ancient age. But trading went well.
Traded for:
3450 Masonry, Alphabet
3300 Bronze working
2950 Warrior Code
2470 Iron Working
2630 The Wheel
2350 Horseback riding, Mysticism
2190 Writing
1790 Mathematics (researched), Map Making, Code of Laws
1675 Philosphy, Polytheism
1525 Literature
1300 Currency
1075 Construction

Contacts

3550 France and India
3400 Carthage
3100 Arabia
2350 Persia, Rome and Germany (contact trading)

War
1300 Arabia declared, ally India, no real war action from our side.
1150 Persia declares, that war should last for a long time, but no action in AA.

Goody Huts
Popped 4 or 5, maps nothing and one settler near Arabia.
I settled a town there, but had to gift it away later, because I couldn't defend it.

Entered MA in 1075 BC.
Only 12 towns, but quite good ones.
Neither RCP 3 nor 4 did really fit nice IMO, so I have both and live with a little bit more corruption.
I couldn't afford a government tech up to now.
I try to avoid the Golden Age until after the revolution.
So I use swords currently.
Persia built The Great Library already in 1400 BC.
They will be my first real target in MA.

Top Bottom