GOTM 76 Spoiler

Peaster

Emperor
This flat map has one big continent, without much ocean to speak of. That may slow down early-conquerers, who cannot take good advantage of ship chains and coastal invasions. I guess trade will not pay off too well either (I didn't even try). The plus side is access to huts, and fairly easy tribute from 6 AI's. So, my game plan involved seafaring ASAP for explorers, with hopes that huts would provide for most English needs: science, gold and outposts. It's worked OK, but I was very slow getting to Trade (for vans, for WoWs) and barbs from the huts have caused serious trouble. :nuke:

Probably, I should've done some map analysis and/or black-clicking, but was too lazy this time. And it's probably more fun to just play.

4000-2000BC (40t); Size 1 trick. My 2nd settler went west, but couldn't find a good site on the rivers, which really cramped my fast-growth style. York(2) in 2950BC. Nott(3) in 2850BC. Hast(4) in 2300BC. Cant(5) in 2150BC. Huts gave 0, 50g, 50g, 0, arc, AT (tribe) = Cov(6) in 2100BC. Techs = alp/cb/maps/cl

2000BC: 6 cities, despotism, 1adv/9t

2000BC-1000BC (20t): Monarchy in 1650. Meet the Sioux, war. I give them cer.bur for a cease fire (I'm weak). They declare war again in 1000BC. Huts = 50g, seaf (lucky - I was working on that), ele, arc. Techs = moy/pots/seaf.

1000BC: 13 cities, monarchy.

1000BC-500BC (20t): The Sioux raze Coventry, then offer a cease fire, which I accept. They declare war again in 850bc, peace in 725BC (and I get curr for math). The Zulus give 100g for peace in 650bc, plus 150g in tribute, and we trade maps. I must have passed the AI in power around 700BC, since tribute became the norm after that.

An English warrior defeats a wounded barb horseman near Newcastle. An Archer does the same. A settler on forest defends OK. An explorer loses. I sent out about 7 explorers in this period to pop huts - my game plan. The results look OK on paper, but I was not getting the techs I wanted, and the AT's came at a bad time (before HG, to control riots). Also, barbarian horsemen from huts became a chronic headache in this game; I probably lost 3-4 important cities and several explorers to them (not all recorded here). They wiped out both my colonies in Florida, which would have really helped me get into the Gulf coast later on.

I chose Chivalry before Poly in this game (and then got it from a hut), which is unusual for me. But the English armies will have to travel mostly by land. That's always risky for ellies and crusaders, less so for knights.

Huts = 50g, 8barbs, ele, w.code, ele, mas, 2nomads, math, 50g, cons, nomad, arc, barbs, mys, 8barbs, AT, arc, astro, feud, nomad, AT, 8barbs, chiv, AT, leg, kni, 50g, leg, kni, i.w, 8barbs. :eek:

Other Techs = bw/cu/trade

500BC: 27 cities, monarchy.

500-1AD (20t): Finally built HG in 450BC to relieve massive rioting. Built MPE in 325BC, which led to about 1500g in quick tribute from the new neighbors; also a couple of useful techs (poly, wri), and 6 maps (and therefore a plan for conquest). Built Pyr in 250BC, and Mike's in 1AD. Getting trade and HG
seemed to unleash the power in my cities, which were stunted by riots (and no vans) until then. I had hoped for this to happen earlier, but the hut results and AI contact just didn't help my plans.

I wiped out most of the Sioux nation in 1AD, and have goaded the Zulu into a war, which hasn't really begun yet. I have several good outposts (mostly from huts) and am ready for a war with Russia and/or France. Russia + barbs (not mine) have worn the Chinese down to one city, but I still need to get a diplomat there. I have built San Francisco on the West coast, plus a boat, mainly for that. Too bad I lost my Florida outposts to barbs, or I could reach the Aztecs sooner - but I am sending a boat around the tip of Florida towards them now. :cool:

Still popping huts, and getting lots of barbs. In 20AD, a barb horseman actually lost attacking my explorer (but the next barb won, of course).

As usual, I've built no temples, markets, etc (just some barracks). No irrigation or mines. My eastern cities are mostly connected by roads or rivers. A central group, too - these two regions are where I build my wonders, and a few settlers and troops, of course.

1AD: 50 cities, pop 1.7m, Mfg178, monarchy, approx 700g, 32 adv. 5 WoWs + 1 AI WoW (GL in France). Units = 20S, 22cru/kni, 7 boats, 6exp, 3vans(for WoWs), 45 misc, 20 lost.

I can probably conquer by 500AD. I'm curious if anyone will conquer much earlier. My luck wasn't terribly bad, but some events just didn't click; my 2nd settler, getting to monarchy and trade, hut results, barb attacks ... :blush:

I give this one up. I tried an EC game which Inever played before. But I was not patient enough and attacked to soon. The discoveries took also to long....because I got some from hut tipping I got monarchy around 1000 BC.

I'm now practising this type of game to improve more because this game was ideal for EC and there will probably follow more.

@Peaster: I use you're strategy document (I don't know if it came from CFC or Apolyton). In table one (the one which mentions the amount of cities at a certain turn) there are some mistakes (advances and units around switched). Is it possible for you or somebody else to adjust it. New players wouldn't probably notice the mistake.

Magic G: You picked a tough GOTM for your first EC game ! IMO you'd learn faster from practicing on an island map at first. Conquest is always easier with boats, but the oceans on this map are almost useless. IMO you need decent luck with huts in this GOTM for outposts, to finish by 500AD or so. But who knows ? Clever players often find surprising ideas that defy my predictions.

I'll try to take a look at the EC guide soon (but it's almost 4am now ...)

Just an idea: play this GOTM again, but with a different goal - be the first to build a railroad across the continent. It must lie entirely in the top two-thirds of the map.

I also had a bad game. Similar to Magic Gorter, I haven't gone for early conquest before, and thought this would be a quick game. But i got so many techs from huts I didn't want, that monarchy took me even longer to get.

I did get polytheism from a hut before anyone else, so I built an army of elephants and took over Zulus & (nearly)Aztecs, but pretty soon all AI cities had city walls so I had to research Dragoons to have a chance. I was friendly to the Sioux for far too long, gifting them many techs which was stupid as when I got around to attacking them it made it so much harder, I think I relapsed into Spaceship mode without realising it.

It's now the early 1500's I'm in democracy and have about 12 cities left to capture. I'm going to finish it, but altogether it's a bit of a disaster. I think I've learnt a lot though, especially how to continue a war in republic/democracy.

BTW I recognise what the map is of, but what does the 76 reference mean?

BTW I recognise what the map is of, but what does the 76 reference mean?

1776 is my guess. It took me some time to 'get it' - until the map starts to unfold, it's not clear what it's of. To start with, I was thinking of anything - 1776, 76 trombones, you name it!

If it is 1776, though, I'm not sure what some of the tribes are doing there - Russian, French, Aztec I can understand, but Zulu, Chinese??!!
And why no Spanish?

Thanks, it makes more sense now, I don't have much knowledge of american history. For a while I was thinking 76 huts? I think it probably took me about 76 turns to get monarchy:rolleyes:

As for the Civ's, only certain Civ's can be a certain colour. Spanish is yellow and so is the aztecs (I think), so I guess Zulu's was the nearest that could be chosen. Chinese just must have been the best available from a bad bunch.

As for the Civ's, only certain Civ's can be a certain colour. Spanish is yellow and so is the aztecs (I think), so I guess Zulu's was the nearest that could be chosen. Chinese just must have been the best available from a bad bunch.

Good point - didn't think of that!

I've finally finished this game. Although I kept a log, it's really just a catalogue of disasters so there's no point posting it here.

If I hadn't been so hut happy at the start it may have been a different story.

Casualties at end include 49 elephants, 29 dragoons, 29 cavalry & 13 dips.

The decision is made; I'll join GOTM 76

Since we appear to be free to do as we like, my doctrine will be ICS/EC, for the simple reason that I've never done 'em before. Secondary aim, STC, for it never hurts to have money. I'll be using an experimental Hive approach, moving the Hive centre when the time is right, and working with Hive sectors. Hopefully this will prevent me having more cities to manage than I can handle, and also help organize what cities should be doing what.

So, I'll be aiming for many small cities and monarchy ASAP (Trade = sec aim, need MPE to coordinate Hive destination). I'll figure out the rest as I go along.

4000 BC -> London founded (current Hive centre)

(Change in strategy caused by the presence of what look like endless rivers; Exploring and founding along rivers only. Should combine well with Hive doctrine)

London, York, Nottingham, Hastings, Canterbury, Coventry, Warwick (already cities hit by unhappyness problems, 2 elvii)

ceremonial burial, alphabet, Bronze working, Code of laws, Currency (hut), monarchy

1850 BC -> Government changed to monarchy, 7 cities

First contact made with Zulus (they sneak attack, war, one Zulu city razed), French (150g, peace), Sioux (300g, peace)

686 in gold. If only I had dips!

Strategic positioning: New Hive to settle in river crossroads close to Zulu's (Hive Sector Zulu). Any and all Zulu activity and cities in immdiate vicinity to be destroyed. Strategic position of Sioux is vital. Sioux targeted for extermination. French can wait.

Army to consist mainly of Horsemen when researched. Horsemen suck, but these opening battles can't wait.
Primary research aim: Trade
sec: Writing
tert: Pottery
quart: Monotheism

French sector Hive should concentrate on Wonder production.

Zulu Hive prioritized for barracks.

I just realized the centre of the river crossroads makes an excellent STC site. That's where I want to build HG and Colossus.

So much to do. So little time to do it in.

War with Zulus continues. Somehow, a Zulu ellie managed to attack and lose against my redlined Archer??? Chasing a Zulu Settler with a footslogger. Too bad all my mercenary untits turned out to be footsloggers. Sioux chariots approaching my helpless Zulu Hive outpost. More Zulu ellies approaching. Defenses close to collapse. Footsloggers reach Zulu Hive outpost just in time.

French Heartland found
Sioux Heartland found
Zulu heartland a mystery

1550 BC -> Entering phase 2, building out the Zulu Hive. Second Zulu Hive Sector city built, Newcastle, my someday to be STC, with multiple settlers en route.

Horseback riding, researching trade. Now I'm in a fighting war, what to prioritize, Writing or Polytheism? Decisions, decisions... been a lot of fun so far!

Thanks, it makes more sense now, I don't have much knowledge of american history. For a while I was thinking 76 huts? I think it probably took me about 76 turns to get monarchy:rolleyes:

I figured out the theme before I even started, but was also surprised by the choice of opponents. I thought a better selection would have been for us to be the americans, then start the spanish in florida, the french, sioux and russians where they are, with maybe the japanese where the chinese are, the english at cape cod (or start the english where we are at Jamestown/Washington and put the "americans" somewhere else.) there was too much distance to the nearest AI civs so expansion was too easy. Perhaps even better would have been a scenario where french started with both canada and louisiana, england had both jamestown and plymouth, and the others were better established (with multiple cities) as well. It's just too easy for a human to take advantage of all the space on this map, where the AI cannot.

I expanded rapidly and I had decent luck with huts early so I have a massive number of cities. The two easternmost civs (French, Zulu) are gone. I was also going to build a late-starting SSC and go for a SS launch but I'm pretty sure I've reached the point where my civ is too big and I yet again won't be able to finish. Given the time I have to play, I'm several weeks from finishing this game. Turns are taking at least 1/2 hour or more on a good turn just moving units and managing foodboxes and happiness issues and I'm still in the BC's and I'm not yet into republic. (My inability to manage a large civ in a timely manner is a huge shortcoming in my game)

I already posted my log to 1ad. After that, civ2 started crashing so much that I shelved this gotm for a while.

I might've finished by a respectable date except for some bad luck with the Aztecs. I already mentioned that my Florida colonies were wiped out by barbarians, which delayed my Aztec campaign quite a bit. By 160AD, they were my biggest problem. They had 6 cities, all visible on my map [less than France, but farther away]. By 320AD they had 2 more, locations unknown. I quit trying to provoke a war with them, and got a map update. The two new cities were out in the western wastelands ! ... nowhere near Aztec Central. And by coincidence, in one of the few regions my explorers had not gotten to. Argghh.

Soooo.... I diverted two important crusaders and a diplomat from the main campaign to go after them (not just a little irritated at the delay). The dip met an unexpected Aztec warrior on a river. We were at peace, but it was expelled back to London. Just as the crusaders reached the maverick cities, and I was cleaning up the last "honest" Aztecs, the obnoxious little upstart cities grew to size 2! My crusaders attacked and won, as expected, but they didn't have any movement left to enter.

One maverick city produced an instant warrior, which killed the crusader there (IMO this is a standard AI "cheat"). The second was saved by barbarians, but I think it also cheated up a unit too.

So, I sent more units into the distant wastelands, of course, and they were successful. But the ending was an EC nightmare, and I didn't finish by 500AD as I'd expected.

Well, this gotm was a nice challenge for EC players. I feel OK about my overall strategy, but the devil is in the details. Maybe I should've been more careful about popping huts in Florida, and maybe put more thought into the Aztecs.

GAME 76-

4000 BC
Starting location 129.63.
Seed Finder calculates “ A “ seed to be located at 124.62, then
-B=126.56- C= 132.58 , D= 134.62, E= 132.68, F= 126.66 , G= 128.60 and H= 130.64.
It is 2 location that will be a 4 Special Location - 127.63 and 131.61.
As usual the Huts are an issue, since this is a NW pattern, A, B, C and H will have huts either east or west, ditto with DEFG, since black clicking shows an " 8 " to the West...seem the only places to explore will be to the West.
Huts, will be located on the same latitude as seeds, 56-58-60-62 ( 2 ) -64-66 and 68
At this level of play , visible tiles ( 4 ) with a river and a Pheasant are not a bad location, roads are not a priority.

As we know , the specials and the patterns allways mantain the same distance , irrelevant of the seed.
IF we can picture and draw in quadrille paper the locations of the seeds , then we will need to change just the Longitude and latitude....all seeds and Huts will mantain the same distance.
I made a HUGE quadrille sheet that contains 10 Patterns horizontaly....then another 10 , etc...the Point here , is IF we know the starting location and the Huts the position can be triangulated....
And thats what I did....
All my units most of the game , moved towards a " HUT "....I only had to check on their location , then move them next to a Hut.....

4000- LONDON-( 124.62)- Creating Warriors

3800-Scout Warriors Send to HUT closest PROBABLE location-122.64

3700-Hut at 122.54 = None Settlers

That proves that If Hut “ H “is at 122.64 ,Hut “ A “ 116.62, Hut “ C “ 124.58 and Hut “ B “ 118.56 located, I can triangulate my Quadrille Sheet and locate ALL Huts, Seeds and 4 start locations in the Map .

3600- I decided to take a risk and send my None Settler , as a Scout 124.58= Masonry, also to look for a good starting Location
Warriors “2 “ Built and Send South to Scout Huts.

3550- Having 3 Scout Units, and spread the East , North and South…116.62 Hut=ALPHABET

3400- 118.56 Hut = Archers

3350- 129.75 Hut = 50 Gold

3250- 110.62 Hut= Empty

3200- 123.75 Hut= Warrior Code

3150- None Settlers Find 4 Seed Location at 115.61 ( YORK )

3050- 121.81 Hut= Horseback , 108.68 Hut=Map Making

2900- NOTTINGHAM – 125.65 , 115.79 Hut= Chariot , 102.66 Hut= Empty

2700- 117.73 Hut= Bronze Working, 104.60=Archers

2500- 103.77 Hut= None Settlers

2400- 109.51 Hut= POTTERY

2250- Code of Laws – 101.83 Hut= Advance Tribe ( CANTERBURY)-121.107 Hut= Advance tribe= COVENTRY

2200- London Builds First Trireme, Send South. Hut at 103.49= 25 Gold

2050-90.64 Hut=None Chariot ,97.47 Hut=Advance Tribe ( WARWICK ),110.88 Hut=25 Gold , NEWCASTE Build at 120.62
Sioux Move Capital to Wounded Knee- First Riots in London

2000- 95.81 Hut= Archers , 84.62 Hut= None Horseman, OXFORD Built at 123.73

1950- 108.94 Hut= 50 Gold

1900- 89.81 Hut= 50 Gold , 92.58 Hut= 50 Gold, Hut at 86.56 = Advance Tribe ( Liverpool ), Riots in Hastings

1800- Barbarians appear south of London, Using Gold to create Phalanxes in 3 close cities, 83.79 Hut= Archers, Hut 114.94 ,Horseman finds First solo Barbarian

1750- Horseman Lost

1700- 97.75 Hut= 50 Gold

1650- Barbarians kill Phalanx at Nottingham , city supports 2 Scout Units…, Seafaring , will speed 3 or 4 Explorers

1600- Paid Barbarians 68 Gold to Avoid losing Scout Units
Hut at 91.75 = Legion
Encounter Sioux, Demanded Tribute = $ 150
91.47 Hut= Empty , 65.75 Hut= Advance Tribe ( DOVER )

1550- Zulu’s Encountered-Demanded Tribute - $ 200

1400- 85.73 Hut= 50 Gold, Hut at 100.100 = WRITING

1300- Chinese , Building HG, BRIGHTON build at 99.61, Explorers at Hut 123.47= IRON WORKS, Sioux Move Capital to Three Forks
Ranked the Most powerful Civilization

1250- Trireme Exploring SE , and black clicking locate a new Island , Number 4 at 113.13, a 4 Seed Location, Hut at 63.81=Legion.
Aztecs encountered, exchanged Ceremonial Burial for Seafaring, Tribute Damanded = $ 200

1200- 129.49 Hut= LITERACY, Hut at 78.34= THE REPUBLIC. French Move capital to Lyons

1150- Explorers at Hut 78.88 = 8 Barbarians, Hut at 71.77= MONARCHY- Hut at 57.81= 50 Gold
Aztecs offer alliance , IF I wage War against the Zulu’s

1100- Hut at 137.43= Advance Tribe= NORWICK, Explorer destroyed at 78.88, LEEDS built at 131.53, BIRMINGHAM ( 134.112 ) built in Island number “ 4 “,Chariots Scouts Survive a Barbarian Attack, Hut at 80.28= CURRENCY

1050- REVOLUTION- Change to REPUBLIC , lost 3 Units unable to be maintained by their Home Cities

1000- Hut at 85.19= Advance City ( READING ) , Hut at 69.83=CONSTRUCTION, Hut at 52.90= MYSTICISM

950- Explorer encounter 8 Barbarians at 124.42, Explorer Destroyed

925- Hut at 50.96 = None Elephants

900- French move Capital to Tours

875- RICHMOND ( 117.53 ), Hut at 44.94= None Elephants

850- Barbarians land by Island number 4 , 93 Gold Paid to avoid losing Post

825- Hut at 116.90 = Elephants , Hut at 70.66 = BRIDGE BUILDING ,
Hut at 38.94 = None Settlers, Hut 45.105 None Elephants

800- Hut at 79.17= Advance Tribe (EXETER )

775- Hut at 76.68= Advance City ( CAMBRIDGE ), Hut at 43.111 =None Settlers, Hut at 66.32= FEUDALISM

750-Hut at 36.100= 25 Gold, Hut at 32.92= PHILOSOPHY
725= TRADE, Hut at 49.113= None Horseman, Hut at 60.30= 25 Gold, Hut at 75.11= THE WHEEL

700- Hut at 51.79= 50 Gold, Hut 51.79= None Settlers

675- Barbarians Kill my defending Unit In Nottingham, Trade Math x Trade with French

650- 50 Gold Paid to Barbarians to avoid Nottingham to be taken, Hut 38.98= 50 Gold, Hut 59.19= None Legion , 31.109= Engineering

600 – 700.000 Population-
Hut 60.58= 50 Gold , Hut 51.107= 50 Gold , Hut 55.13 = Advance Tribe ( GLOUCESTER ), Hut 69.9= None horseman lost to Barbarians, Hut 54.56 = INVENTION….sadly no more Techs can be acquired after this point thru Huts

550- Explorer Killed by Barbarians, Hut 20.90= None Horseman

525- Hut 52.62= None Legion

500 Hut at 49.11=Advance tribe , Manchester, Hut 62.98= 50 Gold , Hut37.83= None Horseman, Hut 18.96= 50 Gold , Hut 38.120= 25 Gold

475- Hut 44.62= 50 Gold, Paid 75 to Barbarians to avoid Exeter to be taken , Hut 58.64 = 8 Barbarians …Explorer lost , BRISTOL ( 121.99) , Leicester ( 107.59)

450 – Beijing Builds Great Library , First Wonder Built.- Revolution OEDO Year , going to Monarchy to demand Tribute and create Caravans for a few Turns- Hut at 31.81= 50 Gold, Hut at 56.124= 50 Gold

425- Monarchy- Tribute demanded for Zulu ( 150) , French ( 200), Aztecs ( 100) and Sioux ( 200 )- CARLISLE Found at 108.86- Hut at 64.92= Advance Tribe ( IPSWICH), Zulus building Collosus

400 –Lost Dover and 2 Scouts as the city was conquered by Barbarians.
Naples Advance City at 40.62, Hut at 25.81 = None Legion, Hut at 70.94= 50 Gold, Hut at 87.13= Legion

350-Sioux Steal Ceremonial Burial – At war ,I don’t have many units defending my posts near them. Hut at 105.43= Advance City ( ISSUS ), Hut at 81.11= 50 Gold, Hut at 60.4= 50 Gold

300- Sioux Units approaching some of my undefended cities, offer Peace

275- Encounter Chinese = Tribute 400, Hut at 37.105= 25 Gold

250-Map is the one of the USA !! I am amazed I did not realized that earlier !!, Great lakes and Florida Panhandle , plus Baja California are a great clue.
Going for the Kill , Pyramids are Built
None Horseman at 42.128 encounter 8 Barbarians, Hut at 86.2= 100 Gold

225- Russians Encountered…Tribute $ 400, Hut at 37.9= 25 Gold, Cunaxa built by None Settlers on California Coast

200- Cremona Built at 15.81

175- Colossus and Hanging Gardens Built, CUNNAE 15.89 ( West Coast ) , and CAPPUA 93.77 , Hut at 82.96= Legion

Few turns before 1 AD….Im not a EC kind of player….Map has been revealed …I need to re-adjust and change name of cities , still have not find the French , Chinese Heartlands , though.. I have a good idea

Need to take a Break …Can this be conquered as Peaster said by 500 AD??

Top Bottom