GOTM Techniques, Cheats, Rules & Discussion Thread

I can confirm you only get the <nil> caravan effect for only one city (ed: and it has to be the first city that gets a caravan) . Amazing a bug within a bug.
I was using a OCC to check it out too so I never would have found it! :cry:

I got some questions about map analasis. The term of 'map analasis' occured several times to me, when reading in the forums, but I didn't manage to get the clue on how it works.

What I understood is that you can build a map in the map generator the same size the actual GOTM has. Then you will see, where all the ressources are located. Then you compare what you get to see in the GOTM (most of the times there are two or three ressources which can be seen), compare it with the blank map from the editor and when you possibly know wich change brings wich ressoure (e.g. mining wheat brings forest with silk) you know where you are located ressourcewise (either in the fish-area or in the whale-area).

So far, so good. But map analasis must mean more, as some people are able to knwo in advance, where huts are located. Can anabody tell me, how this is working? Or post a link to the discussion thread, where this is explained?

And, if possible, please send a link, where map analasis is explained properly. What I just described are more or less assumtions and they are in some cases not very precise.

Okay - thanks in advance :)

Merlin_Pilgrim (just started GOTMs - and fell in love ;-) )

I coined the term Map Analysis, after I learned the basiscs of it from ElephantU. As far as I know the concept has never been fully explained in the forums. Here is the best synopsis I know of:

ElephantU said:
... start with a blank map in MapEditor and locate the tile where my settler(s) start. ... Draw in the visible land, ignoring any Whale/Fish tiles that turn land into specials. Just get the correct land type down first. Then hit "S" and increment the Resource Seed till you get any visible specials in the right locations. If they and any visible huts are in the right locations but the wrong "type", add 16 to the Seed up to 3 times. One of these combinations should give you the correct Seed. If you have no visible specials or huts this is still useful info: try adjusting the Seed and record how many possible Seeds between 1 and 16 give you no visible specials or huts. You should come up with only one or two (x4 for multiples of 16), and those options should show something nearby that you can start your settler heading toward to confirm. Once you get the Seed right, you will know the patterns of specials and huts throughout the whole map. If you have Grass tiles at your start they could be "hiding" specials underneath them; in Map Editor I like to mark them with Tundra so I can see the hidden special.

I have been thinking about creating a write up on this. And since I am already done with GOTM69 I may as well do it soon.

SlowThinker said:
More details in section 'Map in general' of my signature.
Could you please elaborate on that?
I suppose you mean a link in your signature (I see none) that leads to a website where we can find a heading called 'Map in general'.

Thank you SlowThinker for the link. A wealth of info is there.

It seems that the information required to do what I call Map Analysis is for the most part available in bits and pieces but not brought together in one location.

I just finished a write up on that. I will post it shortly.

Hi all. This is my first post, and i dont even know if it is placed in the rigth place. I have been about 1 hour messing around the web and i have decided to try de GOTM. Have some questions about it here:

1.- I couldnt get the GOTM73, why? I got the GOTM72, if i finish it should i send the score to the web staff?

2.- I have read something about the rules and copying the Rules.txt into the same directory where de GOTM.sav is placed. Is this necessary?

3.- How can the staff know if you save a game just because you have to leave or because you want to cheat (before entering a hut or a combat)?

4.- How can i play an ONLY ONE CITY game? Should i do something special? or just build 1 city and go on... (that seems difficult)

Sorry for my Englisth, sorry if this is not the right place for the questions and greetings for all :)

1. If you are using a PC, did you click to the GOTM page, then right click the GOTM73 file and select "Save Target As..."? Make sure it has the extension .SAV, then load your CivII flavor and Load Game.

2. We all play using the default RULES.TXT that was installed with your purchased CD. If you have loaded scenarios there is a possibility this might have been overwritten. Somewhere around here we've posted copies of the default ones (just do a search on "default RULES.TXT"...)

3. You can save and resume if you have to stop, but we've all agreed that certain actions like replaying combat results or peeking at the unseen parts of the map are "cheats". It is primarily an honor system, but the Staff seem to have some tricks up their sleeves like probabilities of hut results and expected AI behavior.

4. One City Challenge is a tough learning tool for learning how to optimize your Civ play toward efficiency, teamwork (with the AI) and fast research. It is probably not recommended for a new player; try one of the tutorials or playing along in a GOTM following the log of one of the better players (and asking a lot of questions...). A guy named PaulVDB wrote a strategy guide for OCC a while ago; it has been unavailable and I was going to repost it in the Strategy Forum but I've been distracted. I'll see if I can get it up there again in the next week.

BTW, welcome to CFC!

1. If you are using a PC, did you click to the GOTM page, then right click the GOTM73 file and select "Save Target As..."? Make sure it has the extension .SAV, then load your CivII flavor and Load Game.

2. We all play using the default RULES.TXT that was installed with your purchased CD. If you have loaded scenarios there is a possibility this might have been overwritten. Somewhere around here we've posted copies of the default ones (just do a search on "default RULES.TXT"...)

3. You can save and resume if you have to stop, but we've all agreed that certain actions like replaying combat results or peeking at the unseen parts of the map are "cheats". It is primarily an honor system, but the Staff seem to have some tricks up their sleeves like probabilities of hut results and expected AI behavior.

4. One City Challenge is a tough learning tool for learning how to optimize your Civ play toward efficiency, teamwork (with the AI) and fast research. It is probably not recommended for a new player; try one of the tutorials or playing along in a GOTM following the log of one of the better players (and asking a lot of questions...). A guy named PaulVDB wrote a strategy guide for OCC a while ago; it has been unavailable and I was going to repost it in the Strategy Forum but I've been distracted. I'll see if I can get it up there again in the next week.

BTW, welcome to CFC!

Thx for the answers :D

whenyou take the link to the GOTM it bring you to the n72. The link is incorrect. If someone could check it...

I have just read about the "right clicking" strategy. Is it still used? Seems to be quite unfair.

It has not been banned, but some players refrain (just as some try to keep a "Spotless" rep...). It can give you some hazy ideas about where ocean and other islands are, and there are some advanced tricks that might pinpoint other cities, but it is a lot of work for not a lot of info.

By the way, my civ version doesnt let me do it, so i wont have the moral dilemma :D

Is there any rule about which patches are allowed ? I think most patches (for MP/PBEM/etc) have no effect on the gameplay, but some might. For example, I hear Skyer1 has made a patch to fix the hostile AI in MPGE. That sounds OK to me, but I don't even remember what his other patches do.

Duke's ruling was that unofficial patches are not allowed in GOTM. That patch has a bug anyway with happiness and the find city function.

Perhaps a silly question. If you bribe a freight or caravan and it becomes a non-unit. Can you rehome the van? If you cant I believe you get a lousy trade bonus as you have no home city. (perhaps I'm wrong there, have no experience trading non-vans)

Top Bottom