GOTM Techniques, Cheats, Rules & Discussion Thread

Is there an exception in place for bribed AI caravans that are unsupported? This mostly applies to OCC games...

A certain amount of honesty should be assumed. There are doubtless many ways to cheat and get an advantage that can't be detected. There is no honor or glory in winning by cheating. If a caravan is rehomed for convenience or protection and not for trade delivery, then it should be allowed.

ElephantU said:
Is there an exception in place for bribed AI caravans that are unsupported? This mostly applies to OCC games...
Wouldn't that just be "Homing" rather than "Re-homing"?

Does anyone know how it calculates delivery bonus of NONE caravans?

geofelt said:
A certain amount of honesty should be assumed. There are doubtless many ways to cheat and get an advantage that can't be detected. There is no honor or glory in winning by cheating. If a caravan is rehomed for convenience or protection and not for trade delivery, then it should be allowed.

Convenience? Got an example?

Otherwise, it sounds good to me.

No caravan rehoming ???? ..... my, my ..... I do not like this one little bit .....

When did this happen? (Ok, I know Sept 2004) ...... this really was the strongest "cheat" - although you can still build 1 caravan per turn and get a good payont. .....

I did not realize these "cheat" rules were subject to such changes.

Here's my suggestion: Get rid of ALL cheats.

Play like a man (or woman whichever the case may be).
If the game was not intended to allow it, get rid of it.

No black clicking.
No IRB. Nope, none.
No moving a settler,then beginning work, then waking them and repeating next turn.
(Not explicitly listed in your cheats).
No rehoming caravans.
No mining cities on hills.
No avoiding ZOCs with diplomats.
No using find city to locate unknown cities.
No ship chaining.
No using K to irrigate waterless squares.
No bomber stacks to avoid attacks.
No Odeo years - change govs as if you had no idea about Odeo years.
No unnaturally large cities.

If the game was intended to allow it, you can do it.
Yes multiple settlers on a project.
Yes supply and demand.
Yes food caravans. (but no unnaturally large cities).

If you get rid of the caravan rehoming trick, get rid of them all.

Be reasonable, guys - the GOTM staff has to try to enforce this too. Are you going to require players send in every turn save? Some things, like airbases on hills, are pretty obvious. Most are already hard enough to detect. But you can add any restrictions you like to your own play. I personally prefer to keep a Spotless rep, but that's not required either.

One little question
When I finished by early conquest, which turn is the "finishing-turn". The turn when you destroy the last city or the next one when Civ2 finishes the game?

Doctor S said:
Here's my suggestion: Get rid of ALL cheats.

Play like a man (or woman whichever the case may be).
If the game was not intended to allow it, get rid of it.

No mining cities on hills.

If you get rid of the caravan rehoming trick, get rid of them all.

wht is it ?

and that too

4. Unsinkable Triremes, uncrashable planes Disallowed
(Only works in MGE)

Hexer said:
One little question
When I finished by early conquest, which turn is the "finishing-turn". The turn when you destroy the last city or the next one when Civ2 finishes the game?
On a similar note. After finishing the latest gotm I realised that I could have gotten a better landing date by launching a slower spaceship a few turns earlier, but it would have taken more turns overall. Not that scoring is all that important, but just for clarity how is the "finishing-turn" determined?

Maybe a moderator should answer these, but IMO:

* A conquest game ends in the year you take the last city.
* A landing game ends when the spaceship lands.

That is correct. On the turn you take the last city, the game will end when you end your turn. Likewise, the first thing that happens on the turn your SS lands is the game ends.

Just a side note, on the last turn before your SS lands, there is no gain in delivering freight. You don't get any advance on the turn the SS lands. The SS lands first and thats the end of the game. No advance, no additional citizens, just the end.

Same thing for building a Wonder - you get no points for it if it is finished on the turn the SS lands, which seems to happen before city production cycles at the beginning of the turn. For submitting your game, though, they want you to submit the save BEFORE the end of the turn BEFORE the ship lands, not the save after the victory screen comes up (and that extra Wonder or advance is credited).

would be playing with the fascism pack be allowed?

Samson says:
Science beaker cost is the product of two things: the number of Acquired Techs (+1) that you have and a Tech Multiplier. One of the determinants of the Tech Multiplier is your relationship to the Key Civ as found by the above method. If you have the same number of Acquired Techs as your Key Civ, you get the nominal Tech Multiplier and pay an average cost. If you have fewer Acquired Techs, you pay less. If you have more, you pay more. By giving a sufficient number of techs to the Key Civ you can reduce your beaker cost.

How do you know what your number of acquired techs is (apart from laboriously keeping count as you discover them!)? There seems to be no record of your own acquired techs in the playstation version that I play. Is it recorded somewhere in the PC version?

Just one question with regards to:
The relationship between the Key Civ and the Human Player involves the Power ratings and Turn positions. Each civ's Turn Position is determined by its color:

1 White
2 Green
3 Dark Blue
4 Yellow
5 Light Blue
6 Orange
7 Purple

Power Ratings are reported by the Foreign Minister:

1 Pathetic
2 Weak
3 Inadequate
4 Moderate
5 Strong
6 Mighty
7 Supreme

The Key Civ for tech-gifting can always be found occupying the Turn Position
which corresponds to your Power Rating using the above numbers. For example, if your Power is 'Inadequate', the Key Civ will be Dark Blue.

How can you determine key civ if playing with less than 7 civs?

Top Bottom